Davinci by Karma

pandawok56

Hmm, if that's true, I wonder why they made two different size screens. I can tell you that both screens used in the top chamber are the same size so I doubt it'd be that.

pandawok56,

max

Out to lunch
:tup: on the review Tokin'. My comments, after some recent but steady use-

J.R.R.Tokin' said:
The unit has a nice size and weight to it
Size wise it's the same as the iolite, but heavier and the fit and finish are worthy of any name brand electronic device.

The digital display is easy to read and I like that it is back-lit for those movie moments with the lights off. Also, the ‘heat-up’ indicator is useful and easy to understand. No light means the unit isn’t heating, red means it’s heating and green once it reaches the desired temp.
The only part of the display I have trouble with is the charge indicator, but that's due to the small size and my aging eyes. With my glasses on it's not a problem. The display is plenty bright. You could use it for a dim flashlight in the dark. The heat indicator always has a color when the unit's on, but it's the blue background color unless the the power button for heat is pressed. Then it's either red or green. You always have to keep the 10 min. auto shut off in mind, otherwise you'll find yourself hitting it after the heater's been turned off. That's happened to me several times.

First I’d like to say that I had no success in using the top chamber to vape herbs.
Personally, I don't think it was ever intended to be used as a herb chamber. The only 'vaporization chamber' mentioned in the manual (which needs some upgrading) is the main one. And even if it did work as a vaping chamber, you'd lose a filtering screen and have a harder time with cleaning.

I found that using the oil cans for herb was vastly inefficient compared to a direct load in the bottom chamber.
Although the manual mentions that you can use a "grind" in the can, I don't think they did much testing on it, and your testing supports that theory IMO.

I believe that the SS herb chamber retains and stores more and more heat creating a little oven.
As does the iolite/WISPR and some other vapes. I've had no problem with overheating though, and have found that the 385 setting is enough to get the ABV a nice medium/dark, even brown color. Like the iolite/WISPR and other 'short path' vapes, the end of a bowl, especially if the temp is high, can give you that funky, ABV taste, but I find it's less objectionable than with the WISPR, which is worse than the iolite due to being a little hotter running.

the unit can get uncomfortably hot directly over the area of the herb chamber if used for a prolonged period.
Shedding heat is always an issue with a vape, and small ones are always the worst. Like the O&B products, the longer this one is on, the more care you need with holding it, to avoid the heat. Like the iolite, it gets hottest at the vents, and I find holding it at the bottom is best after it's been on a while. If you just start it up and take a few hits, then shut it down, housing heat isn't much of an issue. I've also used mine inside the soft case I bought for it, like a pouch, and that eliminates the heat issue entirely, while still allowing decent ventilation and air intake.

The Oil Cans were a bit of a disappointment to begin with and I could only get the faintest puffs of vapour. As stated above I really think it’s a waste using them for herb
I think your work in this area may be more extensive than their own testing. I do like the oil cans for their legit use with essential oil (although I haven't tried it), as far as using this function to explain to 'non users' just what this thing is for. Hopefully they'll fine tune the cans for better performance.

There are a few improvements I’d love to see in the DV mark 2. They are:
* Full air-tight seal when lid is closed.
*Removable lid for easier cleaning.
* Non-melting bristles for the brush
* Better heat insulation to reduce the unit’s touch-heat in use.
Air tight seal- I've covered this, to seal it, and although there is a difference, it's not a big one for me. I'm not sure that an air tight seal can be achieved economically while still maintaining durability of that part of the unit. It is an interesting point.

Removeable lid- This would be really nice, convenience wise, but I'm not sure how they'd go about securing it without that hinge. They probably thought about it but all things considered, decided the hinged top was best, as a compromise. It's worth mentioning that this lid can be very easy or very hard to flip up. The right way is to use a fingernail and move the latch for the lid straight up. If you use your thumb/finger and put any horizontal pressue on it at all, it resists you- a huge difference.

Better bristles- Hasn't been an issue for me. I only use the brush for the lid screen, which needs brushing after use, and to sweep any stray bud into the heating chamber. The brush is too short for the heat chamber, but herb seems to empty out of it easily, and if you do need to brush it out, a longer one is needed.

Better heat insulation- I don't see that happening. The housing is going to absorb heat. No way around it if you want to keep it pocket vape size. The easy ways to avoid a lot of heat (besides holding it to avoid the hot areas) are to take a few hits and shut it down for a few minutes, or use a zippered soft case, where that can be used as the insulation between housing and hand.

Overall I think it is a good, robust, portable vape that is very easy and straight forward to use. It is very effective for vaporizing herbs and ok for oils (with the mods). The battery life is good and charge time quite quick and I really like that you can use it while charging. My main issues with the unit stem from the additions they threw in at the last moment i.e. the oil can, top load chamber and brush, but I look at them as an extra that’s fun to play with. So, this definitely gets the thumbs-up from me and will be a regular when visiting friends.
I agree and it's been the only portable I've used since I got it. My portable use has even increased since I find it so easy to use. The iolite/wispr holds a lot more herb, but I find that going through a big load in those vapes requires you to hit a lot of ABV before you're done, and although the effects are worth it, the taste toward the end of the bowl puts me off. Those two are also better portables if you're away from AC for a while, since you can carry extra butane but not extra AC. But for the way I use a portable this one is ideal, and it's by far my favorite of the ones I've used.

Lostclusters said:
the vendor that sold it to me told me that it's bottom screen was not removable.
I've asked DaVinci about this and haven't received an answer. My concerns are 1- where do the small herb particles go, that get through this screen? 2- what happens if the screen gets clogged, over time, and needs to be cleaned or replaced? You get 3 additional large screens, and that size can only be for the bottom of the heat chamber. If it's not designed to come out, why supply that size screen? To remove this screen (I sincerely hope it's removeable), the best tool would likely be one of those dental picks with the crook in the end, for hooking the screen and lifting it out.

suggested I put one of the extra screens, from the accessory bag, in there.
I've done that. Can't hurt, right? I found a combination of a blunt pokey (to get it down) and a sharp pokey (love the 7th Floor stir tools) to help get it horizontal, worked well.

An excellent herb loader for this vape is the one on the left here (14mm diameter) http://www.buyincoins.com/search--pill+box----1.html . It also works well with other narrow bowls like the iolite/wispr and Cloud, but is especially handy for the DV. You can load your chosen bowl amount in the container, and just dump it all in. I also like the container on the far right (5cm diameter) for holding larger amounts.

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
:tup: on the review Tokin'
Thank you kindly

Size wise it's the same as the iolite, but heavier and the fit and finish are worthy of any name brand electronic device.
I totally agree. It really has a quality feel to it. I haven't had a chance to get to grips with the iolite - yet!

You always have to keep the 10 min. auto shut off in mind, otherwise you'll find yourself hitting it after the heater's been turned off. That's happened to me several times.
:lol: yup, happens to me too. A beep to let you know it's switching off would be nice.

I've also used mine inside the soft case I bought for it, like a pouch, and that eliminates the heat issue entirely, while still allowing decent ventilation and air intake.
Oooh, I like the pouch idea. Do you have a link of the one you have or something similar to give an idea.

I think your work in this area may be more extensive than their own testing. I do like the oil cans for their legit use with essential oil (although I haven't tried it), as far as using this function to explain to 'non users' just what this thing is for. Hopefully they'll fine tune the cans for better performance.
A simple fix for now would be to just make the cans taller so they connect with the upper chamber - hint hint DV ;)

Removeable lid- This would be really nice, convenience wise, but I'm not sure how they'd go about securing it without that hinge.
What I was thinking for this would be a hinge similar to a watch strap hinge - I think it wouldn't effect the lid function and allow for simple removal.

Better heat insulation- I don't see that happening. The housing is going to absorb heat. No way around it if you want to keep it pocket vape size. The easy ways to avoid a lot of heat (besides holding it to avoid the hot areas) are to take a few hits and shut it down for a few minutes, or use a zippered soft case, where that can be used as the insulation between housing and hand.
I agree, to insulate would add size - so a negatory on that one - but I do like the pouch idea to compensate.

...it's been the only portable I've used since I got it. My portable use has even increased since I find it so easy to use....But for the way I use a portable this one is ideal, and it's by far my favorite of the ones I've used.
Glad you like it so much. I'm in the same boat as you - it's my go to portable now and great for showing-off to people alien to vaporising.

An excellent herb loader for this vape is the one on the left here (14mm diameter) http://www.buyincoins.com/search--pill box----1.html . It also works well with other narrow bowls like the iolite/wispr and Cloud, but is especially handy for the DV. You can load your chosen bowl amount in the container, and just dump it all in. I also like the container on the far right (5cm diameter) for holding larger amounts.
Yup, I have a stack of these for my portables and it really is almost perfect for loading :)

J.R.R.Tokin',

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Nice. Tyvm V.

I was imagining something more like an ipod sock or something. I can't imagine material like that would breathe enough to have the unit enclosed and in use.

J.R.R.Tokin',

max

Out to lunch
Nice. Tyvm V.

I was imagining something more like an ipod sock or something. I can't imagine material like that would breathe enough to have the unit enclosed and in use.
It's easy to just zip it part way up and hold it by the zippered ends, which puffs out the sides of the case and gives it breathing room.

What I was thinking for this would be a hinge similar to a watch strap hinge - I think it wouldn't effect the lid function and allow for simple removal.
It would be nice to have the option of taking the lid off. At least it opens up enough (especially with the straw off) to view and clean. As for cleaning, I've found it doesn't need a lot. ABV seems to easily fall out with a light tap or two, and brushes off the screen well too. Cleaning these two areas on a regular basis is quick and easy and better, IMO, than waiting until they're noticeably gunky.

max,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Sorry to be a pest but I really think that the lack of other payment methods than credit card is a real downer. I plan on never owning a credit card, and I've gotten about just fine without one online since I've always been able to find a retailer who will accept another form of payment or let me send them an email money transfer, but right now there is no way to buy a davinci through any other means than credit card. Both the karma site and vaporstore only take credit card. My arizer is dying a slow painful death and it needs to be replaced soon and if I can't get the davinci I'll just have to buy another arizer instead.

Is there ANY other way we can purchase a DaVinci other than a plastic debtrap??

CentiZen,

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Thanks for the review Tokin.

A few things: we're working on some things with the oil cans, but I can't elaborate at the moment.

We're also working on a potential change to the lid for Gen 2, but testing some things (the big concern is with anything hinged: if someone rough handles it, it could snap off or break off).

We're also working on things to preserve battery life. One of the challenges is we only have so much space to work with inside the units, so can't really get more than 3 batteries inside, although technology is always advancing,so we're always testing and researching.

Cent, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the info so you can order via money order, check, etc.

Edited to add: the bottom screen can be removed, just be cautious with it.

Also, for those wanting it, we now have the Snorkel available on the site :)
http://davincivaporizer.com/thedavinci-accessories/

Enjoy!

Davinci_vaporizer,
Reactions: Pfb1500

pandawok56

Just received my replacement straw in the mail and I must say I'm a little disappointed Karma. Maybe its just bad luck, probably just a manufacturing problem, but the tube of the replacement straw I received is sealed shut with either glue or plastic or whatever holds the tube and mouth piece apart. I had to dig a hole through with a small screw driver because at first I thought it might be some sort of new seal but I'm not sure why someone would do that. And then as I put my old straw back on, the straw tube seperates from the mouthpiece/thread part as if the glue just wore out or something.

If you guys want, I can send them in or just take pictures of them once I get my hands on a camera.

I really do love my DV Karma and i appreciate the customer service, but these straw just haven't been that great. I would love to buy a snorkel but I feel like there's no way if they're like the normal straws. But again maybe I'm just having bad luck. :(

pandawok56,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Sounds to me like there isn't tight enough QC wherever the straws are coming from and the adhesive isn't strong enough.

I hope they can get the issues sorted.

CentiZen,

pandawok56

That's the straw that fell apart. I guess a plus side to this is that we get a little better view of how the straws put together.

Tried to take a clear picture, but I used my girlfriends iphone which is hard to focus in on the tiny details. If anyone can make it out, the entire thing is sealed with some sort of platic or dry glue, except for the tiny tiny hole a little off to the left, which is from the screwdriver.

pandawok56,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
PAndawok, thanks for the pics. i suggest taking the second one a little further, for the iphone to be able to focus. It might not be so close but at least it is focused.

vorrange,

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Damnit, that was supposed to have been checked before it went out, Panda. My apologies.

I'll send you out something special to make up for it and personally pack it myself :)

Thanks for the other suggestions guys. That's why we've implemented some of the changes we have: feedback and suggestions.

Davinci_vaporizer,
Reactions: Pfb1500

pandawok56

Thanks, Lance I believe right? I appreciate it, can't wait :D Lets hope my bad luck doesn't hit me again. Like I said I don't blame you guys, or maybe I should but don't want to haha but I really love my DV and I hope it'll last me quite a while. Currently its my go-to pocket vape and get's me way more medicated than combusting out of any glass piece I have available to me. Bigger hits too :brow:

Just wondering, I don't personally have one, but I've read the Solo has up to 3-4 hours of battery life. I assume the DV and Solo are nearly the same size, so what allows the Solo to have a longer battery life? Is it a different battery type that's worse?

pandawok56,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
The solo has about 6-7 12 minute sessions.. that is hardly 3 or 4 hours of battery life pandawok. ;)

vorrange,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I don't think i ever saw an accurate estimate for battery life. I prefer to trust in the reports from the people who actualy use it.

I think that, if you leave it in position 1, maybe there is a higher battery life,but still shy of the reported 3 hours.

I think it is not a case of false advertising, it is just a case of advertising. :D

vorrange,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Yeah, or more a case of theoretical limits vs real world use cases. I'm sure the battery could last for three hours if we were pulling 100mah off of it. Your right the only way that we can know for sure is to have real owners count.

I really wish this sort of thing wasn't such a widespread practice. I mean if you go into a store and look at the wireless routers all of them will claim "300mbps" or whatever theoretical maximum to the protocol it uses but then you install it and get 8mbps transfer speed.

CentiZen,
Reactions: vorrange

pandawok56

Yea I figured, but there are some reviewers out there claiming they get 2-3 hours, but I also know there are users who get much less. But let's not turn this into a Solo discussion ;)

Lance, is there a video you could put or give a little instructions on the best way to remove the bottom screen? I want to try and clean my DV but I can't really see much of the bottom and don't want to break anything.

pandawok56,
Reactions: vorrange

max

Out to lunch
pandawok56 said:
let's not turn this into a Solo discussion ;)
You brought up the Solo, and asking a vape maker to get into a discussion of competing products isn't fair, since we have rules for manufacturers that go further than member rules. You can't expect DaVinci to be up on battery life for other models, and asking if their batteries are "worse" than those used in the Solo is a loaded question. As for the two being the same size, shape is as important as size IMO. The Solo isn't a pocket vape. They're in different categories and the buyer should decide what the priority is- a portable that's more like a home vape, or a stealthy pocket portable.

Lance, is there a video you could put or give a little instructions on the best way to remove the bottom screen? I want to try and clean my DV but I can't really see much of the bottom and don't want to break anything.
The only way to remove the screen is to pull it out it with something like a hooked dental pick. You shouldn't need to remove it this soon for cleaning, or every time you clean the heat chamber either. My guess is that it would have to come out for cleaning or replacement rarely. I've seen no accumulation on my bottom screen and the chamber cleans easily. If you use ISO on a cleaning swab like this - http://www.basicservices.com/index.php/store/details/691/101.html , I'd be sure to hold the unit upside down while cleaning. I don't know what's below the bottom screen, but better safe than sorry.

max,

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Battery life is a tricky thing. Individual results will always vary. We can test and test and test in the factory and amongst ourselves, but can never replicate what each user is doing or how they use their unit.

We are actually in production this week on several videos, including one on cleaning. Those should be posted in the next week or so...

Sluffy

mine is now doing its intial charge! just curious what tempatures people are having the most success with for two scenarios

1) endless vapor, not thick or anything, just a temp where the hit keep comin (light brown abv after a while)

2)efficent quick 2-3 minute whole bowl cashed session (dark brown abv fairly fast)

Sluffy,
Top Bottom