Davinci by Karma

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Hey Davinci-

Can you overnight me one today so I get get it tomorrow if I pay asap? My whispr went down and I'd like a new toy for a day I have planned on sunday. JH

Great talking to you on the phone. Will get you taken care of as per our conversation.

Davinci_vaporizer,

jhpfunk

Couldn't be more psyched. My vape is on the way. DV was super nice and accommodating. I will post my review after I've had some time to play.

jhpfunk,

Dogman

Vaporist Extrordinair
I think I am jonesin' for the reviews as bad as you guys are to get your toy. I would really like to hear some first time impressions. Good luck, I hope it's a beast!

Dogman,

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Good news and bad news.

Good news: the DaVinci seems to be a hit :)
Bad News: We've already sold out of the first batch. We're expecting a second batch early next week. All current orders through today are being shipped.

I'm hoping we'll have the second batch in by Monday or Tuesday of next week, but with customs, you never know, so playing it safe and saying Friday. If you haven't ordered yet and want to, you can backorder and get the first ones out of the box on the next batch. If we get them in sooner, we'll ship when they land on our door.

I want to extend a huge thanks to the FC community for our early success and can't wait for the reviews to start pouring in.

Davinci_vaporizer,
First time poster as well as vape user, I pre-ordered the davinci and have used it threes times today, all three times I got a very strong "high" off of very little and which certainly was very thick vapor, I was actually torn between this and the arizer solo and while i dont know how well the arizer performs, im very happy with the choice I made regardless, I did not taste any burnt plastic and for those who were wondering about the quality of the parts on this well I can tell you that this unit feels very sturdy and durable, overall very pleased.

BitterBeverage,

GReYAReA

Amid The Vapors...
My Davinci arrived today, and came off the charger a half hour ago. Thanks for the fast shipping Karma! I'll try to get some pictures up later or tomorrow. For now, some first impressions.

SOLID CONSTRUCTION:

You can't tell from the pictures, but this thing is very well made. The buttons and switch are strong, with no wiggle. I expect they will hold up well to heavy use. The plastic is thick and solid, like a Pelican case. I doubt you'd break it open if accidentally dropped. The charger is also heavy and solid - not a "cheapy".

Nice presentation too. You get a metal cookie tin box with two foam/velvet trays that hold the unit and charger.

DESIGN:

They did think quite a bit about the layout of this. There is a tiny brush that has a holder inside the lid. There is also a small compartment you can store your materials in for later use. There is a pop-off lid to it.

You have an upper and lower chamber for plant material, basically. There is a small oil-can for concentrates. It doesn't hold much, but if you maxed out both chambers I think you'd get a small J's worth; maybe 1.5-2 solo stems is my guess.

FUNCTION:

It heats up FAST. You can watch it on the LCD - about twice the speed of my Volcano. It produces decent vapor. I haven't packet it full yet. The ABV is very evenly browned though. So far, with a couple of bowls, not a single black spec. Zero combustion.

Only CONS so far:

1) Even when you unscrew the whip, you can't open the top all the way. You don't have a straight shot into the lower chamber, so cleaning that may take a little creativity; maybe a bent Q-Tip.

2) The oil can has a plastic or teflon lid (some type of heat resistant, I'm sure, plastic). I prefer all metal in the vapor path, especially something that drops right above the heater, but not a deal-breaker. I'm sure its safe at the temps used.

3) There is a definite smell and taste of rubber or plastic. It gets into the taste of my SourD. It's a little off-putting. But the device is new. I'm going to run the battery through a couple of cycles at high heat to see if I can work it out. It doesn't smell nearly as much when cold, so the heat is definitely kicking something off. Even my Plenty has a little smell though.. I'm not going to jump the gun and get worried yet. Its probably just normal...?

All in all, I am very impressed. This is a SOLID unit. Nice design. Good function.. Excellent work for your first herbal vaporizer.

GReYAReA,
Reactions: SD_haze

GReYAReA

Amid The Vapors...
I was assuming it was just because it was so new... I don't see any smoke. I don't think anything is cooking in there. The whole unit does get pretty warm though. I'm almost done running through the first full battery. Will recharge and run again, then update.

GReYAReA,

Kaptan

I was assuming it was just because it was so new... I don't see any smoke. I don't think anything is cooking in there. The whole unit does get pretty warm though. I'm almost done running through the first full battery. Will recharge and run again, then update.
Since you have a solo, can you give a comparison of the two vapes?

Kaptan,

GReYAReA

Amid The Vapors...
So far, the Davinci is better with the ABV - it is pretty much even brown all the way through. The Solo is no slouch either, but for me, a bit more prone to layer the ABV.

UPDATE: I've gone through another power cycle. This morning, woke up and packed it full. It hit for a good 15 minutes (small, slow hits) - very clean. No taste; only minor smell on the outside. I was loving the experience. For 15 minutes, I was in love with my new device.

However, by the time I packed a second time, it had been hot for a good 20 minutes. The smell then kicked in high gear. I wish I knew more about materials to identify it. It was very strong. In fact, I set the unit aside and forgot about it for a few minutes and that smell reminded me it was there.

I absolutely want to LOVE this unit. It is so cool! Solid design. Works very well. Incredible temp control and ABV handing for a pocket vape - the BEST I've seen yet. But this rubbery smell thing is driving me nuts. I am a medical user so clean vapor is a must for me.When you smell something, you're ingesting it, at least tiny amounts. I got that taste in my mouth again too - so its a bit more than a tiny whisper..

I have questions about the air path. The Karma rep said no electronics, but I can clearly see the LCD screen through the air vent. Without taking it apart, I couldn't tell you anything else about what the air comes into contact with. There is no place for the air to go, but though the side holes where it mingles with the LCD.. That is all I can see for sure. I hope the battery and other parts are sealed off.

I really want this to be a case of "new product smell". If I purchased a new pair of Nike shoes, and sniffed the insides, they'd reek. Eventually that would subside. Is that the case with the Davinci? Someone at Karma central must have noticed this in testing. it is WAY TOO Strong...

GReYAReA,

GReYAReA

Amid The Vapors...
BTW - I'm running this at 375F. I don't like high temp vaporizing; so it's definitely not me running it too hard. If I had to narrow it, I THINK it is the plastic that the outer case is made from. When I sniff it cold, it gives off the same smell but very weakly. I cannot be certain that is it though.

GReYAReA,

vape4life

Banned for life
Thanks Grey, that sucks to hear but we really appreciate your honest review. Not the best start but we'll wait to hear what davinci says about it. Every single one of my Solo's needed a burn in, but went away quickly.

vape4life,

GReYAReA

Amid The Vapors...
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. When you think about it, these were literally warm off the factory floor when they shipped. You couldn't get a "newer" unit unless you were at the factory. So I'm going to be a little patient. It is a SHARP looking vape. If this works out it will be my go to portable.

GReYAReA,

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Thanks for the honest review :)

That smell is indeed the "new smell". If it persists after a couple more uses, please let us know.

The battery is sealed off. The LCD part you see was part of a minor internal redesign change.

Davinci_vaporizer,

lwien

This smell/taste issue is the same problem that exists or existed with the Vapir NO2.

Suggestion. If it is, in fact, a "new smell", the factory should either burn-in the units before they are packed up, or............there should be a statement in the instructions of what one should do to get rid of the smell/taste BEFORE the end user inhales whatever the hell they are inhaling.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
true lwien...I remember reports of smells with the NO2, the thermovape, and the solo among others

stickstones,

jhpfunk

Mine arrived today. Thanks Lance. He was very cool and helpful over the phone.

Here's my 2 cents:

As my recently deceased WHISPR is being exchanged (in Ireland I just found out), I'm really grateful to have another solid handheld...and this one is probably even better. I just couldn't go back to my iolite/i-inhale. This is a sturdy, well-built unit. You can tell when you hold it. I have no issue with the plastic smell. It smells new. I am also a medical user and I am hyper sensitive to smell and this does not affect me whatsoever. Just my take on it.

Pros:
1. solid construction.
2. quick warm up time. it really shocked me. way faster than the WHISPR, volcano, anything else I've owned.
3. battery is nice to have instead of butane. battery meter is great. I've vaped a few hits twice and I still have full bars.
4. locking storage area. little risk of inexperienced users pulling out the bowl like with the WHISPR/I-inhale. I think that's huge.
5. Size. Much better size than the other higher end convection units on the market. IMO, the Solo almost doesn't qualify as a portable. It's nice but with it's size and the glass hose, it's somewhere in between.
6. Battery life seems decent...better than the TV (plus no batteries to carry around). Although if you took it camping and there were no outlets, it would not be useful for very long. Good thing I have a WHISPR back-up.

Cons (with limited experience and no real gripes):
1. bowl is somewhat small.
2. car charger would be nice. I was told this is not possible due to the voltage.
3. cleaning seems like it might be a little challenging.

Questions:
1. Is it ok to recharge the battery before it's totally depleted? Does doing that deplete the battery's future strength (like rechargeable items back in the day)?
2. Does anyone know how to change the bottom screen? That seems like it might be difficult. There's no instructions for that in the manual.
3. Is there any safety concern for the rubber door of the storage compartment or the brush/bristles? Will they melt being so close to the action? Also, by the way, I found both on my own, but the B/W picture in the manual was so dark that you can't tell where they are by looking at the picture.
4. Is it always better to use herbal material in the oil can or just in the chamber? Is there a benefit to the oil can? Also, is there a risk of the rubber top of the oil can melting?

Overall. I think it's the best portable around. I've used many of them and have done extensive research. I like it better than the WHIPR for noise, smell, taste, design etc and so on.

jhpfunk,

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Mine arrived today. Thanks Lance. He was very cool and helpful over the phone.

Here's my 2 cents:

As my recently deceased WHISPR is being exchanged (in Ireland I just found out), I'm really grateful to have another solid handheld...and this one is probably even better. I just couldn't go back to my iolite/i-inhale. This is a sturdy, well-built unit. You can tell when you hold it. I have no issue with the plastic smell. It smells new. I am also a medical user and I am hyper sensitive to smell and this does not affect me whatsoever. Just my take on it.

Pros:
1. solid construction.
2. quick warm up time. it really shocked me. way faster than the WHISPR, volcano, anything else I've owned.
3. battery is nice to have instead of butane. battery meter is great. I've vaped a few hits twice and I still have full bars.
4. locking storage area. little risk of inexperienced users pulling out the bowl like with the WHISPR/I-inhale. I think that's huge.
5. Size. Much better size than the other higher end convection units on the market. IMO, the Solo almost doesn't qualify as a portable. It's nice but with it's size and the glass hose, it's somewhere in between.
6. Battery life seems decent...better than the TV (plus no batteries to carry around). Although if you took it camping and there were no outlets, it would not be useful for very long. Good thing I have a WHISPR back-up.

Cons (with limited experience and no real gripes):
1. bowl is somewhat small.
2. car charger would be nice. I was told this is not possible due to the voltage.
3. cleaning seems like it might be a little challenging.

Questions:
1. Is it ok to recharge the battery before it's totally depleted? Does doing that deplete the battery's future strength (like rechargeable items back in the day)?
2. Does anyone know how to change the bottom screen? That seems like it might be difficult. There's no instructions for that in the manual.
3. Is there any safety concern for the rubber door of the storage compartment or the brush/bristles? Will they melt being so close to the action? Also, by the way, I found both on my own, but the B/W picture in the manual was so dark that you can't tell where they are by looking at the picture.
4. Is it always better to use herbal material in the oil can or just in the chamber? Is there a benefit to the oil can? Also, is there a risk of the rubber top of the oil can melting?

Overall. I think it's the best portable around. I've used many of them and have done extensive research. I like it better than the WHIPR for noise, smell, taste, design etc and so on.

Thanks for the review.

A car charger would indeed be nice and we're seeing what we can do for that on future iterations. The car charger and the the battery charge port are different voltages.

You can pop the bottom screen out with the back end of the brush, although it is admittedly difficult.

The silicon grommet in the oilcans won't melt. It's made of a high grade silicone. You can use the oil can or put your herbs directly in the chamber. The oil can makes it a little easier to clean, but it's not necessary for the unit to function. one user of one of our beta units puts some herbs in the top chamber and a different blend in the bottom and does a little combo. The oil can is merely to add another option, but isn't necessary to use. We just tried to think of everything.

Cleaning can be a little challenging, I would recommend a bent Q-tip, but we're looking into a tool for that too. :)

I actually had a question about the brush bristles when we first saw them (I'm a painter and am a bit of a brush snob) but having used one extensively, can say the bristles are strong enough to withstand the constant heat. Same with the silicon door. As you might have seen in one of my early videos, the older versions had a little plastic pullout drawer that proved to be a problem (after some use, it would become loose and fall out). We felt the door flap was the better way to go and could withstand the heat without warping or melting.

Grayarea, we haven't had many complaints on the smell/taste you are describing (beyond the first use or 2). If it keeps doing it, let me know and we'll exchange the unit for you. It might just be something with your unit.

I'm working from home today, but will be back in the office on Monday. If you still seem to be having issues, give me a call at the office on Monday and we'll get it taken care of for you.

Davinci_vaporizer,

Lostclusters

I bought a Da Buddha for one of my sons awhile back. The whip that came with it smelled weird, from the manufacturing process no doubt. It was almost foul. But it did not take long for that smell to go away. Maybe that is the problem here I do not know. The fact that it gets worse as it gets warmer or in service longer bothers me. I would LOVE to see it disassembled like they did with the Solo. Neither of my EQs had any smell to them what so ever at any time.

Lostclusters,

jhpfunk

I would also add two things:

The plastic smell that everyone is panicking about is no more noticeable than any other brand new plastic item that I have every encountered...no more and quite possibly less. I would imagine that any of the other plastic shelled vapes have some kind of new smell. Because of the treatment for my ailment, I am extremely sensitive to smells and this does not bother me. No need to continue with any posts venting this concern.

Secondly, to follow up after another couple one on one sessions with the DV, I am now pleasantly surprised that the unit's temperature is totally reasonable. The unit to the touch heats up less than the WHISP and significantly less than the Iolite. Also, to measure the battery and herbal usage, I've now had 4 solo sessions with the unit. I filled the bowl so that there was a decent amount of room at the top (3/4 full) and hit the vape 3-5 times per session. It appears that the herbal material is fairly cashed and the battery is at half bars. Not too bad. I might also add that stirring the herbal material in between sessions is not the easiest, but a wee bit less likely to lose herbal material than my WHISPR.

jhpfunk,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Whoa there. So you are telling others that they shouldn't post their concerns just because this issue doesn't bother YOU?
Agreed. And then there is this:
The plastic smell that everyone is panicking about is no more noticeable than any other brand new plastic item that I have every encountered...no more and quite possibly less. I would imagine that any of the other plastic shelled vapes have some kind of new smell.
The Delrin sleeves on my ThermoVape have never emitted any odor of any kind what-so-ever.

Edit: Never had a plastic smell from my HA either.

Also: I don't think anyone is panicking. Time will tell what this issue is and if it will last or not but the point is, Mr. Funk, is please don't tell us what to think, instead, give us something to think about. I was in the automotive industry for several decades. New cars emit all kinds of nasty things and I was breathing that stuff every day. Toxic load in our environment is ubiquitous these days, you can't get completely away, all we can do is inform ourselves so we can make the best possible choices for our personal situations. Lets find out where the smell is coming from, what it is, and how to neutralize it.

:worms:

mod note:
  • If you have a question or comment regarding material safety, post it in General Discussion. Do not post it in a model thread.

Lostclusters

I would also add two things:

The plastic smell that everyone is panicking about is no more noticeable than any other brand new plastic item that I have every encountered...no more and quite possibly less. I would imagine that any of the other plastic shelled vapes have some kind of new smell. Because of the treatment for my ailment, I am extremely sensitive to smells and this does not bother me. No need to continue with any posts venting this concern.

I think the use of the word "panicking" was a bit over the top. "Concerned" would have been a better choice. And as previously observed, I should be able to post what I wish as long as I stay within the guide lines of this Forum.

Thank you for your review.

Lostclusters,
Top Bottom