Davinci by Karma

max

Out to lunch
Since only pre production units have made it out for testing/impressions so far, there are no 'buyer reviews' yet. Personally, if VaporAje likes it, that's enough to spark my interest. He's not gonna talk up a crap product.

want to know the quality of this first; especially since it is Chinese made.
Please take the 'made in China=junk' attitude somewhere else. Do you question the quality of name brand computers and other electronics? They're mostly made in China, including all of Apple's products. Would you feel better if the vape was made in Mexico or Indonesia? Low labor cost is a fact of life for manufacturers, if they want to compete, and the answer to quality is good design, materials, construction, and QC, not where the manufacturing plant is located.

the $199 FC discount
There is no FC discount on anything. Some dealers do offer discounts to FC members, but you have to check the individual reseller to see what their discount is and what products are included. The $199 price was a manufacturer presale price and is no longer available. If you're looking for your best price, you might have to wait until after the initial rush.

GReYAReA

Amid The Vapors...
Fair enough, though I absolutely DO NOT have a Chinese = Junk attitude. Please forgive me if that is the impression I gave.

To be fair though. I am a business owner. I have personal experience (a lot) with manufacturing in China. Generally speaking, much less attention paid to quality controls there than to costs. Some of this is probably driven by the Western companies sourcing there. China is the place you go to when you want something made cheaply. Why else have something made halfway around the world? There are less regulations, oversight, and labor costs over there. That is their competitive advantage. This is not bad; America loves Chinese goods. I own plenty of Apple products myself, and they are all top quality. You can get great quality stuff there, as good as any German or U.S company could make.

Still, quality control is commonly an issue over there. You can pretend this isn't the case, but it is. I can tell you plenty of stories; but I won't.

Davinci is new, and I just want to see a trusted review. That's all. Not Shitting on them, China, or anyone else. I'll gladly spend the money if it is high quality and does what I need it to.

max

Out to lunch
I'd agree with what you say about rules and regs in China, and that corners are often cut by some, but in the vaporizer world what we see, as far as a problem, are cheap, crappy vapes made by 'Chinese' companies, not US, Canadian, Euro, etc. companies that are having their products make there. And even when it's a Chinese company, it doesn't mean they make cheap junk. I've got experience (a lot) with Lenovo computers -years of it. I experienced the 'handoff' of IBM's PC division to Lenovo, and they didn't miss a step. Their Thinkpad line of PCs, especially the laptops, are high quality and much more rugged than most brands. If a company manufacturing in China, whether Chinese, US, or whatever country, WANTS to have good quality control, they can. All they have to do is make it a priority.

The cheap clone vapes that thrive on eBay have given the other vape makers that choose to manufacture there a bad name with some people. What we want to do here, where we have the best info on vapor and vaporizers, is help dispel the myth that 'made in China=a lesser quality vape'. And I'll be the first to admit that I've used the 'made in China vape' phrase in the past. What I didn't know, was that some would take that to mean that all vapes made there were inferior. As the vape market expands, we'll see more vapes made there or in other cheap labor countries. We need to judge on the basis of the vapes themselves, and not what country they're made in.

Hopefully you'll be as pleased with the DV quality as you are with Apple products, should you decide to buy. I should be able to provide you with a review on this one myself, before too long. I expect good performance, judging from VaporAje's review and a thumbs up from a trusted retailer. It'll take time to see how reliable they are though.

max,

GReYAReA

Amid The Vapors...
Heck, I couldn't take the wait any longer. From what I could tell, the company has a very good reputation for their e-cigarette products. This surely will reflect the same commitment to quality. I just put in an order, and look forward to receiving it. I will be sure to post a review when it arrives.. Thanks Karma!

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Hey guys, sorry for the wait, I wanted to make sure I had 100% accurate information before posting. Nothing like posting and being wrong :)

We are shipping DaVincis on March 26th. Our owner is in China right now overseeing the first shipment and is also bringing back some units with him.

The FC discount period has expired.

We will be at the upcoming BIG Show and will have some more units for perusal. At the CHAMPS show last month, we had enough pre-orders to warrant fast tracking a second batch and doubling staff at the factory.

For those worried about crappy Chinese products, we're aware that sourcing to China can have issues, but luckily the owner of our company has been in the import-export business for over 20 years. We're very aware that sourcing to China can carry a lot of issues. You have to be very specific with materials, assembly, etc. We feel this gives us an edge and assures our customers that our products are of the highest possible quality. Something as simple as the type of paint being used on units can make a huge difference. It's what lead to a couple of our delays, we wanted only the best quality parts and when we found a few things that could possibly lead to long term flaws, we decided it was better to go with quality and have a launch delay rather than just launch a product we weren't 100% confident with.

Davinci_vaporizer,
Reactions: Pfb1500

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
I don't think anyone can have complaints about changes that improve the product. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

On a side note Lance has been great at keeping me updated re: the competition win and when I'll be getting my unit. Getting really excited knowing that it will ship in just over a week :)

J.R.R.Tokin',
Reactions: weedemon

weedemon

enthusiast
i was jsut checking in on this thread cause i saw you posted a reply. j.r.r. t! was hoping for the review, but an update about teh shipping will do! :) looking forward to reading it man! :)

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
I really can't wait to get my hands on this baby now. I've had a few emails back and forth with Lance and he's been keeping me abreast of developments and eta's. They have really been listening to early feedback and have been trying to launch with a product that already has the bug fixes sorted. One of the things Lance mentioned - that I don't think I'm over stepping the mark mentioning - is a cartridge for the herb for easier cleaning and loading. It was one of the things that looked a bit awkward to me, so it's a welcome addition. Also, I do believe the oil cartridge made it too :tup:

J.R.R.Tokin',

GReYAReA

Amid The Vapors...
A oil or hash accessory would be sweet; and an easy purchase. That is one thing a portable needs to be well rounded IMO - a way to use all forms; flower and concentrates (including solids, waxes, and oils!). Though even just having a portable with accurate temperature digital control for flower use is a big thing.

I'm invested in the Davinci now, ha... and I'm with you JRR; very anxious to test this out, hopefully on my trip next month. If they meet their delivery schedule of the 25th it should just make it!

GReYAReA,

vape4life

Banned for life
I'm pretty excited about hearing some reviews too. What will be the best way to clean the stem so it doesn't build up on the silicone and affect taste?

vape4life,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
As the stem is so short I think a quick rub with an ISO dipped cotton ear swab and then a rinse with hot water will be sufficient. I know people are a bit wary of using ISO on silicone, but imo a few seconds of exposure to ISO is not a problem, it's more a long soak that will cause degrading of the material.

J.R.R.Tokin',

vape4life

Banned for life
As the stem is so short I think a quick rub with an ISO dipped cotton ear swab and then a rinse with hot water will be sufficient. I know people are a bit wary of using ISO on silicone, but imo a few seconds of exposure to ISO is not a problem, it's more a long soak that will cause degrading of the material.

I agree with this statement. Alot of people are pretty paranoid about leeching plastic but if it's quick it shouldn't be an issue. Even hot water running through it should clean it well, but I know it's going to turn yellow on the inside and not taste as "pure" in not much time. Hopefully replacements are less than $15.

vape4life,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
I think that being able to clean the straw will be a must. I don't mind replacing cheap whip tubing, but for reasons of smell-stealth it will be more important to have a clean straw, so $15 a month for a replacement straw will be an expensive variable cost of the unit.
I might just clean it using the Vitolo method - get a nice glass of rum and use the straw to suck it all up! That way you get instant tincture and also nice and :ko: Also, the lower alcohol content will probably be less abrasive than the ISO.

J.R.R.Tokin',

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
With regards to straw cleaning, the best way is to unscrew the screen at the bottom (under the lid of the unit) and use a cotton swab and a little bit of alcohol or your cleaning agent of choice and a rinse in some warm water. The units will ship with 2 straws. We don't have a retail price set yet for straw replacements, but they'll sell in packs of 3.

The units will indeed be shipping with 2 oil cans. One will have a fabric swab inside for oil use and the other will be empty for plant use.

Kenny, the max temp for the DaVinci is 430 degree Fahrenheit, although we don't recommenced temping that high.

Davinci_vaporizer,

vape4life

Banned for life
With regards to straw cleaning, the best way is to unscrew the screen at the bottom (under the lid of the unit) and use a cotton swab and a little bit of alcohol or your cleaning agent of choice and a rinse in some warm water. The units will ship with 2 straws. We don't have a retail price set yet for straw replacements, but they'll sell in packs of 3.

The units will indeed be shipping with 2 oil cans. One will have a fabric swab inside for oil use and the other will be empty for plant use.

Kenny, the max temp for the DaVinci is 430 degree Fahrenheit, although we don't recommenced temping that high.

Thanks for the info on cleaning the stems. Looks like it won't be any different than any other silicone tubing. Just a bit more expensive to replace.

Why do you not recommend tempting to max? Surely if it was a safety matter you would have governed it a tad more conservatively?

vape4life,

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Thanks for the info on cleaning the stems. Looks like it won't be any different than any other silicone tubing. Just a bit more expensive to replace.

Why do you not recommend tempting to max? Surely if it was a safety matter you would have governed it a tad more conservatively?

Not so much a safety issue as most matter burns and combusts at that high of a temperature. The reason we didn't stop it at say 400 is because there might be a few users that want a higher temp for whatever reason.

A feature that helps clean the stems more easily is under the lid of the unit, it unscrews revealing a second chamber. That chamber can also be used for matter or blends but also provides easier access for cleaning the straw.

Davinci_vaporizer,

vape4life

Banned for life
Not so much a safety issue as most matter burns and combusts at that high of a temperature. The reason we didn't stop it at say 400 is because there might be a few users that want a higher temp for whatever reason.

I'm assuming you are implying that some people may want to want that higher temp for concentrates, etc. but you don't recommend it for herbs because of the possibility of combustion?

vape4life,

VaporAje

VaporTower Creator
Retailer
Personally I prefer to have a bit more "burnpower" or horsepower with most vapes, kinda like my car shows the top speed it can go is 160mph but I never push it anywhere close to that speed as the roads in the USA generally do not permit it legally or physically as they do on Germany's fine Autobahn... I will agree that most consumers may crank up their vaporizer all the way sometime, to see how powerful it can be, and the result may be some combusted material. I found the Solo does not do the job enough for my preference but have friends and customers that feel the Solo is perfect for their needs. Just because a machine has more power than neccessary or that can cause harm, does not make it a bad choice. It is ultimately up to the user to decide how hard to step on the gas pedal when they drive, and how high to turn on the oven/toaster/vaporizer when cooking whatever... I sure wouldn't want a car that tops out at 65mph or even 80mph=) That said, I have learned that the Da Vinci works well between 375-385 and higher temps do tend to "roast" the material pretty darkly. We cannot please (or fool) all the people all the time...I just read someones post on the new Plenty vape, how they wish it went hotter...go figure. So if you can discipline yourself not to turn up the heat past 385, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Da Vinci just fine with no fears of combusting.

VaporAje,

vape4life

Banned for life
Personally I prefer to have a bit more "burnpower" or horsepower with most vapes, kinda like my car shows the top speed it can go is 160mph but I never push it anywhere close to that speed as the roads in the USA generally do not permit it legally or physically as they do on Germany's fine Autobahn... I will agree that most consumers may crank up their vaporizer all the way sometime, to see how powerful it can be, and the result may be some combusted material. I found the Solo does not do the job enough for my preference but have friends and customers that feel the Solo is perfect for their needs. Just because a machine has more power than neccessary or that can cause harm, does not make it a bad choice. It is ultimately up to the user to decide how hard to step on the gas pedal when they drive, and how high to turn on the oven/toaster/vaporizer when cooking whatever... I sure wouldn't want a car that tops out at 65mph or even 80mph=) That said, I have learned that the Da Vinci works well between 375-385 and higher temps do tend to "roast" the material pretty darkly. We cannot please (or fool) all the people all the time...I just read someones post on the new Plenty vape, how they wish it went hotter...go figure. So if you can discipline yourself not to turn up the heat past 385, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Da Vinci just fine with no fears of combusting.

Why didn't the solo do the job enough for your preference? I don't understand, it's temps are an excellent range for both herb and concentrate. I don't see why the davinci wouldn't simply follow those temps of 185-210C? No combustion, ever, at least in my experience of using various model solos since they were released.

You are correct though, there is no absolute NEED to hit those high temps, but why do they need to be so high? Is there some kind of substance that needs even higher than what the Solo can do at max? I don't get it, level 7 is almost too hot for concentrates I find. But to each their own.

vape4life,

VaporAje

VaporTower Creator
Retailer
The Temp of the Solo is not an issue, the design is. I prefer 100% convenction based designs, such as Volcano, VaporTower, and the especially the Pocket Vapor VP-600 design performs so well and superior to any other protable vape I have tried so far. The Da Vinci design is the closest I have seen to the VP600 I love so much. Air enters beneath the heater and herbs, gets heated, flows through the herbs. The Solo and Iolite are not good convection designs, they use a combo of both CONDUCTION as well as convection. Yes they work somewhat, but they are not as efficient and prematurely toast the herbs with their hot surface areas. Magic Flight also tastes toasty burnt after 1-2 puffs, not efficient enough for my preference.

Back to temps on the Da Vinci, I feel that some materials such as solids, if they are even possible to vape, require a hotter temp than loose leaf herbs. I have very little experience with oils or concentrates so I cannot comment much about those temps. And yes "to each their own" and some like hotter thicker vapor clouds while others can only handle smaller puffs. I found I had to turn up the Solo to max to feel decently medicated. I think it's a bit silly logic to avoid even trying a quality vape due to it's ability to combust or burn if the user intentionally turns up the heat past the recommended settings. It's like I'm going to avoid buying a fast car in case I accidently step on the gas too hard and speed too fast...we all learn how to walk, talk, and drive when we need to and what those limits are, then we learn to regulate ourselves. Same with vaping, every user including myself has to learn the art of vaping as they prefer it. I have burned my bowl in many vapes to learn where the line was, not to cross it anymore since years. I have paid for many speeding tickets to learn how to blend in and only speed "reasonably";) Peace everyone, looking forward to more Da Vinci's.

VaporAje,

vape4life

Banned for life
Well I just have a bad taste in my mouth from my SSV days when I would accidentally combust. With my solo or EQ i that never has happened and I NEVER want to experience accidental combustion again. Although I agree with you about the convection design. I'll keep my ears open for reviews, but I know with some of the other portables they are supposed to be "vaporizers" when in fact they are portable electric pipes. At least it won't be much longer now.

vape4life,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
some materials such as solids, if they are even possible to vape, require a hotter temp than loose leaf herbs.

based on some limited experience with the Bud Toaster, i'm not so sure ... i think the concentrate needs to get heat saturated, so a higher temp can accomplish that, but so can placing the concentrate in an oven at the proper temperature, and then using airflow to extract the vapor.

For example, the plate Tintest makes for the Solo is reported to be effective for concentrates. Since it sits inside the crucible it gets heat saturated - standard temp is okay.

Hippie Dickie,
Top Bottom