Gear D-nail thread

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
You can torch SiC, but I'm not sure on timing. I recall something about 90 seconds being about right, then waiting 45 seconds. Report back if you try!

I don't think the sapphire is easy to clean at low temps. It just works better to let it sit at 950 until everything burns off. I've done it many times now, and it just comes out like new after you let it sit long enough.... Although... this just recently happened... My GF was overzealously cleaning around my sapphire halo the other day.... knocked it over and cracked it..... oye...

Still seems to work fine functionally, and the crack is in the side... But still... Fuck. :p

Not buying another!

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
Do any of you ever torch your sic nails while away from the grid? Curious on your method, torch time, cool down, etc. Just received my Blazer Big Buddy torch, and am finally good to go! Just don't wanna waste a lot experimenting! :lol:

Also, is the sapphire halo just as easy to clean as the SiC by being able to set it to 250 and do a q-tip sponge mop?

Easiest and most gentle method for cleaning sapphire (or any insert really) is soaking it in room temp distilled water for a few minutes and then scrubbing it with a q-tip.

Will normally strip off the gunk quite easily.

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
@biohacker ... invest in an IR temp gun ... if you want to dab with a torch, in my opinion it's indispensable. Even if the reading is offset a bit depending what you are reading off of, it works fine for SiC and quartz, and it's really about a baseline anyways ... once you find the right temp, then you just wait for it to drop to the right temp after torching based on the IR reading, and then you're good to go. Perfect low temp torch dab every time.

biohacker

Not buying another!

That speaks volumes! :lol:

Easiest and most gentle method for cleaning sapphire (or any insert really) is soaking it in room temp distilled water for a few minutes and then scrubbing it with a q-tip.

Will normally strip off the gunk quite easily.

I still can't believe just how effective distilled water is for cleaning! I used to do the soak in room temp for a few minutes and qtip until clean, but now I just set it to 250, and no soaking required (I never disassemble my coil for soaking! :doh: and listen to the moisture sizzle off!) and just qtip sponge mop and it's just as effective, but quicker and more convenient for me. It's really only my rosins that cause gunk.

@biohacker ... invest in an IR temp gun ... if you want to dab with a torch, in my opinion it's indispensable. Even if the reading is offset a bit depending what you are reading off of, it works fine for SiC and quartz, and it's really about a baseline anyways ... once you find the right temp, then you just wait for it to drop to the right temp after torching based on the IR reading, and then you're good to go. Perfect low temp torch dab every time.

I always just assumed that they didn't work for sic like glass?! That's a great idea! Especially for the consistency that I seek. Perfect low temp torch dab every time? Yes please! Have you experimented with your Vrod Sic halo and torching?

JCat

Accessory Maker
I always just assumed that they didn't work for sic like glass?! That's a great idea! Especially for the consistency that I seek. Perfect low temp torch dab every time? Yes please! Have you experimented with your Vrod Sic halo and torching?
I have not experimented with vrod sic halo and torching, but I have monitored my sic dish temp some w/ the IR gun, and the fact that it's ~100F off or so, leads me to believe that it's relatively accurate. I actually get accurate readings of my quartz banger as well ... it's metals that IR guns have a real hard time with ...

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
I was 50-100 degrees off whenever I used an IR gun, I bought a pretty cheap one though. I never tried it on quartz either. Even when I got thermocouples I needed to make sure I got one rated for the right temps, I was 25-50 off using the wrong one of those for awhile. I guess if it's consistent you can just add/subtract to get the temp.

JCat

Accessory Maker
I was 50-100 degrees off whenever I used an IR gun, I bought a pretty cheap one though. I never tried it on quartz either. Even when I got thermocouples I needed to make sure I got one rated for the right temps, I was 25-50 off using the wrong one of those for awhile. I guess if it's consistent you can just add/subtract to get the temp.
The gun I'm using can be set to record min/avg/max ... so I have it set to record max ... so as I wave it around the dish ... this is the temp that I pay attention to ... as it would likely be the most accurate one ... 100F off seems about right for dish temp vs coil thermocouple temp especially in relation to the VROD that I've been using which also has the mass of Ti between the SiC and the coil ...

@biohacker ... this is the one I have: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-digital-temperature-reader-0574554p.html#srp

I definitely like it, got it on sale for I believe ~$30.

This one here (the Mastercraft Maximum vs regular Mastercraft one), also regular $100, is on for $30 right now: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-infrared-thermometer-0574632p.html#srp

Canadian Tire ... stuff is a good deal when it's 60-70% off :)

Last edited:

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
What do you yearn for my friend? :)
Originally I wanted the carb cap and was hoping to buy the sapphire v2 insert and a titanium dish for it, I've changed my mind on buying the insert though. Sounds like too much spills over into the titanium. I'd love to get the carb cap on sale, doesn't look like it will be but I'll probably just buy it anyways.

Also hopefully someday a sapphire halo. Whenever they're in stock I talk myself out of it and then really regret it when they go back out of stock. I don't even see them on the site anymore...

biohacker

I don't even see them on the site anymore...

https://vapefiend.co.uk/products/d-nail-sapphire-dish

What a deal! :rofl:

I may perhaps be imagining things, but I swear I read someone stating that D-nail would again be stocking the sapphire halo within a month or so? Can't remember if it was in this thread, or another, or another forum :\

Either way, this is where it should show up!

http://www.d-nail.com/sapphire-halo

There is also this one in the classifieds, although I personally wouldn't want to buy the sapphire halo second hand myself.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/d-nail-sapphire-halo.29258/

Alexis

It's also been shown to kill cancer cells :leaf:
And Im hoping it might get those final stubborn hard water marks off my XL Sphere using the ultrasonic cleaner I just bought that I haven't used yet.

If ISO fails first, but Im wondering if the distllied water may be better anyway.
The XL and other bits I need to ready, will hopefully pay towards my future Rosin press. The original plan was to sell the XL to buy the Digi-Ti, but so much time has lapsed (while I have been stuck on "Go"), that I have enough saved by for the Herbo.

Which is great 'cos I can use every penny I get from upcoming vape sales for the Dabpress.

In order of requirement:
1) Successful harvest
2) Sell vapes, raise dough
3) Buy Dabpress :rockon:
4) Make Rosin :rockon::rockon:
6) Live happily ever after...:lol:

Not quite just there! Just getting started actually. Maybe a Dnail down the line? :mental:
One day at a time for now. Auto day 43!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
And Im hoping it might get those final stubborn hard water marks off my XL Sphere using the ultrasonic cleaner I just bought that I haven't used yet.

If ISO fails first, but Im wondering if the distllied water may be better anyway.
The XL and other bits I need to ready, will hopefully pay towards my future Rosin press. The original plan was to sell the XL to buy the Digi-Ti, but so much time has lapsed (while I have been stuck on "Go"), that I have enough saved by for the Herbo.

Which is great 'cos I can use every penny I get from upcoming vape sales for the Dabpress.

In order of requirement:
1) Successful harvest
2) Sell vapes, raise dough
3) Buy Dabpress :rockon:
4) Make Rosin :rockon::rockon:
6) Live happily ever after...:lol:

Not quite just there! Just getting started actually. Maybe a Dnail down the line? :mental:
One day at a time for now. Auto day 43!

If straight distilled doesn't work try adding a sizable amount of baking soda to raise the pH to alkaline levels, that worked for me on a stubborn tube recently.

I'm stoked to see you considering giving rosin a proper go, I think you're gonna love the smoothness :cool:
The wear and tear from convection heat can really add up!

Alexis

If straight distilled doesn't work try adding a sizable amount of baking soda to raise the pH to alkaline levels, that worked for me on a stubborn tube recently.

I'm stoked to see you considering giving rosin a proper go, I think you're gonna love the smoothness :cool:
The wear and tear from convection heat can really add up!
Cheers bro. My mum helped a lot with the Sphere after I started with ISO/salt, then a PBW soak not done properly- left marks, I was concerned after all the horror stories.

My mum went at it (I was battle weary) with vinegar and baking soda. It is almost spotless except a tiny few water marks in the downstem.
Maybe soda in the Sphere in the ultrasonic cleaner would be good too? I have also considered this but I still have no idea really how ultrasonic cleaners will work with different cleaning fluids and how effective it will be for this purpose.

I know @StormyPinkness is becoming a real pro with his machine I know he loves it for cleaning his bubblers.
Oh and a very generous member pm'd me and has offered to send me some Rosin in the post to try. It comes from organic flower that's all I know so I would be guaranteed to have a major allergy to the fertilizers used if I tried to vape the flower, so it may be a bit of an experiment which I will struggle to draw definitive conclusions from but we will see.

If I react adversely, it will be difficult for me to conclude whether it is the fertiliser residues or the rosin itself, due to it being a different substance I don't know how my immune system and body will perceive it and react as with the Flowerpot for example.

So I'm more apprehensive than excited because it may leave me with some anxiety as to how well I was tolerate vaping rosin if my reaction to the fertilisers is substantial enough.

Last edited:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I've been hitting flowers the past couple of days and I cant tell you how much I miss my halo! Flowers are a great form of medicine but too harsh for me. I'm literally coughing every session instead of maybe once a week.

biohacker

I've been hitting flowers the past couple of days and I cant tell you how much I miss my halo! Flowers are a great form of medicine but too harsh for me. I'm literally coughing every session instead of maybe once a week.

I know how you feel! I recently went over 2 months (maybe 3) without flowers since i've been exclusively dabbing off the SiC halo (mainly rosin), and didn't think i'd ever return to flowers and sold everything related. I was fortunate enough to land over 3oz of top shelf which I could have processed, but I figured why not give flowers one last kick at the can, and I bought a Flower Pot! You wouldn't believe how fast I protested the experience, and once again (for the last time) sold everything related to flower and will appreciate and respect my SiC halo like no other! :) My lungs have never been happier, and I feel so much healthier! #SiCblessed!

biohacker

Alright, uptemps are the absolute bomb!!! :rockon:

450-575 is the name of the game for my high5 lcd controller! Drops quickly....pretty much the amount of time for me to weigh up my next micro (no dabs over .035, average .025) and the flavour profile is SO much better, and it's also way smoother! It doesn't seem like I get a hack here or there after the dab this way too. I think it's a much gentler way of dabbing and preserving terpene expression, and the effects are incredible, potentially due to the synergy of the terps that haven't violently boiled off at static 575?

Why would D-nail suggest 850 as a cap for the SiC? :hmm:

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Alright, uptemps are the absolute bomb!!! :rockon:

450-575 is the name of the game for my high5 lcd controller! Drops quickly....pretty much the amount of time for me to weigh up my next micro (no dabs over .035, average .025) and the flavour profile is SO much better, and it's also way smoother! It doesn't seem like I get a hack here or there after the dab this way too. I think it's a much gentler way of dabbing and preserving terpene expression, and the effects are incredible, potentially due to the synergy of the terps that haven't violently boiled off at static 575?

Why would D-nail suggest 850 as a cap for the SiC? :hmm:
I just got my auber controller and I'm looking forward to trying this out more. What temps are you dropping to? I need to go read their write up on it again.

biohacker

It varies, but a proper uptemp for me would start at about 450 (when my dish starts producing vapour) and I cap it at 575. The cap stays pretty consistent, but depending on my patience i'll sometimes only let it drop to 500 or 525. However, i'm of the opinion that ANY uptemp is awesome...even just 550 to 575 makes a noticeable difference. I'm finding I need to re-sample so many strains because i'm actually getting flavour notes popping that i'd never experience at a static 575. And again, my lungs LOVE them! :)

Definitely give the d-nail document a read through...i'm always re-reading it for some reason lol. I've gone as low as 350, but think 450 is more practical real world for me. Still don't know what they were thinking with the 850 cap? :shrug:

Just about to sample some Shoreline Cheese Sugar Wax! I find these 0.025g sized pinhead dabs SO tasty! :D

And thanks to @JCat I have a 14mm male base on it's way! :rockon:

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
I've found that the D-nail 2.0 controller has such tight control that uptemp dabs with SiC dont work well. I can shut off the switch on the back and let the temp fall, and I switch it on, and inside of one or two pulls it's reached the maximum target temperature.

I actually have to use two fingers to turn the temperature up in increments to get it to do what I want. Two or three times for a larger 4-8 pull dab.

There's a reason I've been clamoring for a rotary encoder actuated e-nail like D-nail started developing years ago and gave up because they don't care anymore?? and it's because dials are easy to turn and holding one button down while pushing another one on a lightweight box that slides on a tabletop while your other hand is occupied dabbing is F*** stupid and I'm sick of it.

biohacker

I can shut off the switch on the back and let the temp fall, and I switch it on, and inside of one or two pulls it's reached the maximum target temperature.

I've never used the d-nail controller, but my high5 LCD (omron) is insanely FAST. Have you read D-nail's guide on it? You shouldn't have to take a second pull, perhaps you're loading too much? It should be as simple as flicking the switch, and THAT'S IT. Start your pull when you flip that switch and go with it....if it increases fast, so be it... you're still getting that uptemp curve vs just plopping that dab at the static temp. Otherwise, why not plop it on at 350 for SiC like D-nail suggests? That should be more than AMPLE time, to be able to start with getting ZERO vapour, all the way up to your set cap where it's MILKING hard!

There's a reason I've been clamoring for a rotary encoder actuated e-nail like D-nail started developing years ago and gave up because they don't care anymore?? and it's because dials are easy to turn and holding one button down while pushing another one on a lightweight box that slides on a tabletop while your other hand is occupied dabbing is F*** stupid and I'm sick of it.

Auberins RDK-300 dial? I've only used the NewVape controller, and couldn't imagine doing uptemps with that POS dial IMO. But with the high5 lcd, it's pretty much a dream!

Last night I attempted a couple of static dabs at 575. Won't be doing them again...even just flicking the coil off so it drops 25-50 degrees makes a significant enough of a difference to me.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
IME, with a SIC Halo and e5cc, a from room temp (~73) heat up to ~500 is 42 seconds, with the cap on its 45 seconds, cool down from ~520 to easily holdable/loadable is ~4:30.....you can load your SIC warm (~3-350) but that gives you only a few seconds going through the temp curve, IMO the SIC Halo on the slim base is so fast to react to heat, that its not a big deal to wait a few mins to let the temp drop down to where you get an extended heat up.....this cool down wait time can also be cut down by about 75% if you just blow through the heatsink fins on the slim base. Using a from ambient method allows me to either take many, many short fast pulls across the entire temp range (~100-540) for maximum flavor, OR, go big lung slow drags starting around 300 and for myself, stopping around 530 for major medication.

Im also almost certain you can get into the PID settings to slow the heat up speed, I know the e5cc has thorough documentation but Im not sure Ive ever seen anything for dnail programming specifically, I do believe they use off the shelf components and rebadge them so you just have to figure out who makes the PID in your specific dnail unit.

Top Bottom