Crackdown on Legalized Marijuana

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

unsorted

Lawmakers React To Sessions Anti-Marijuana Move
A bipartisan collection of members of Congress and state officials are pushing back on U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions’s move to rescind Obama-era guidance that has generally allowed states to implement their own marijuana laws without federal interference.

Maybe this action will have the effect of forcing a quicker resolution to the Federal vs. State law discrepancies. I would expect legal cannabis nationwide to be the ultimate result. Maybe I'm just stoned.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
The Memo:

"The Department of Justice today issued a memo on federal marijuana enforcement policy announcing a return to the rule of law and the rescission of previous guidance documents. Since the passage of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) in 1970, Congress has generally prohibited the cultivation, distribution, and possession of marijuana.

In the memorandum, Attorney General Jeff Sessions directs all U.S. Attorneys to enforce the laws enacted by Congress and to follow well-established principles when pursuing prosecutions related to marijuana activities. This return to the rule of law is also a return of trust and local control to federal prosecutors who know where and how to deploy Justice Department resources most effectively to reduce violent crime, stem the tide of the drug crisis, and dismantle criminal gangs.

“It is the mission of the Department of Justice to enforce the laws of the United States, and the previous issuance of guidance undermines the rule of law and the ability of our local, state, tribal, and federal law enforcement partners to carry out this mission,” said Attorney General Jeff Sessions. “Therefore, today’s memo on federal marijuana enforcement simply directs all U.S. Attorneys to use previously established prosecutorial principles that provide them all the necessary tools to disrupt criminal organizations, tackle the growing drug crisis, and thwart violent crime across our country.

What a cunt!!

Silver420Surfer,
Reactions: macbill

hd_rider

I simply cannot fathom that in this era of advanced scientific knowledge, where the beneficial effects of cannabis have been proven time and again, that we have an uninformed / uneducated populace that cling to the idea that "weed" is just as dangerous as heroin, meth, crack cocaine, LSD, and other illicit drugs. According to the DEA, cannabis has no medical value and is more dangerous than methamphetamine, cocaine or even fentanyl. Note also that tobacco and alcohol, both far more dangerous than cannabis, are not even on the DEA drug schedule. Couple this with the fact that pharmaceutical companies pay lobbyists millions of dollars to keep cannabis classified as a Schedule 1 drug and then you might begin to understand why this is happening. Legal cannabis would eliminate so much of their revenue that they would do just about anything to stop it from ever being legalized. And there are also those that say rescheduling / decriminalization would cost millions of jobs in the Prisons for Profit, Law Enforcement, Judicial and Legal defense industries. But I suppose their justification is that in a vibrant and robust economy such as ours, we cannot jeopardize all we've built just to save some useless lives.

Either our elected leaders are simply morons who are unable (or unwilling) to see the health, social, and economic benefits of cannabis legalization, or they are just holding the party line and continuing to spout the same drivel they always have while their pockets and purses get heavy with dollars from the pharmaceutical and prison industries.

Baron23

Well, we can just bitch about it or do what we can....no matter how little it may be

We do need to have our voices heard in protest and NORMAL sent out a sample email and their automated system to address it on this subject.

And here it is.....do it, DO IT, DO IT NOW! LOL

http://norml.org/action-center/item...ncy-alert-jeff-sessions-is-ready-to-crackdown

And here is sample letter and sending facility on the subject to Trump via the Marijuana Policy Project

http://action.mpp.org/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=23874

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I for one am doing my part.....Just registered my wife for a medical MJ card. :rockon::rolleyes:

Seriously....I live in Florida which is a republican stronghold. If a die hard republican state is moving in the right direction .... Sessions is not hindering anything. He's pouring fuel on the legalization fire and is simply combusting his way to vaporizing what's been holding us back.

lwien

I simply cannot fathom that in this era of advanced scientific knowledge, where the beneficial effects of cannabis have been proven time and again, that we have an uninformed / uneducated populace that cling to the idea that "weed" is just as dangerous as heroin, meth, crack cocaine, LSD, and other illicit drugs. According to the DEA, cannabis has no medical value and is more dangerous than methamphetamine, cocaine or even fentanyl. Note also that tobacco and alcohol, both far more dangerous than cannabis, are not even on the DEA drug schedule. Couple this with the fact that pharmaceutical companies pay lobbyists millions of dollars to keep cannabis classified as a Schedule 1 drug and then you might begin to understand why this is happening. Legal cannabis would eliminate so much of their revenue that they would do just about anything to stop it from ever being legalized. And there are also those that say rescheduling / decriminalization would cost millions of jobs in the Prisons for Profit, Law Enforcement, Judicial and Legal defense industries. But I suppose their justification is that in a vibrant and robust economy such as ours, we cannot jeopardize all we've built just to save some useless lives.

Either our elected leaders are simply morons who are unable (or unwilling) to see the health, social, and economic benefits of cannabis legalization, or they are just holding the party line and continuing to spout the same drivel they always have while their pockets and purses get heavy with dollars from the pharmaceutical and prison industries.

Well said but we need to keep in mind that these are the same people who deny that we have anything to do with global warming. Being paid off by the pharma companies or oil/coal companies is kinda same thing, eh?

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I’m glad I still have a medical card. I did my part and contacted my Congress person and those in the Senate. I got an email from Normal as well today. It’s getting pretty weird in this country. Not sure what will happen with Session’s job? Or the presidents job for that matter. I’m going to need to buy the book Fire and Fury.

It might take Sessions a long time to try to get rid of legal. He might be out of a job by the time it gets to the courts. Of course in the mean time he will make legal pot as bad as possible. It really does matter who we vote for president. This is fucked up!

Last edited:

Tranquility

I am torn on this other than to say, it is appropriate the person who swore to uphold the law to...uphold the law.

Even though I understand the concept of prosecutorial discretion, it is not Trump's (Or, Session's) job to make the law, but to enforce it. Making the law is the job of the legislature. If you have anger, that's where I'd place it.

Don't get me wrong. I am a guy who loves federalism. I like the fact my state is a now-legal state. I think the scheduling is hypocritical and stupid. However, it is foolish to believe there will not be negative consequences from legalization. Not Reefer Madness breaks out on the streets, but, negative consequences. The best ones to balance the risks to rewards in our system of government is the legislature. When we have it based on the opinion of a single person...well, look where we end up.

Then again, I'm a believer in process. I know I will not get the results I want in all cases. I just think if the process is right, then there is no better way to decide for the whole body politic.

No one likes his ox gored and I understand where those who post here are coming from. I would just rather cheer a deliberative path for all our laws rather than raising a cheer for when the person who's whims are like mine is elected.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Well, we can just bitch about it or do what we can....no matter how little it may be

We do need to have our voices heard in protest and NORMAL sent out a sample email and their automated system to address it on this subject.

And here it is.....do it, DO IT, DO IT NOW! LOL

http://norml.org/action-center/item...ncy-alert-jeff-sessions-is-ready-to-crackdown

And here is sample letter and sending facility on the subject to Trump via the Marijuana Policy Project

http://action.mpp.org/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=23874
That's right. CALL YOUR REPS AND SENATORS. NOW.

If you use the 5 Calls app, they have a short little script you can read. We need to bury these fuckers in complaints. Make them feel the pain. We've stopped other bullshit by deluging them with calls....this is truly the least partisan issue to come up with this administration. Make them feel our outrage. NOW. :2c:

TaterLog

Real Human [baked] Bean
If this becomes a draconian witch hunt for cannabis users then the concept of jury nullification needs to be made aware to the citizenry. This is a great time to also spread awareness on the state's reliance of victimless, revenue collecting [statutory] "crimes". The legal system does not revolve around justice; never has and never will. It's two tiered for a reason, or - as George Carlin said - "It's a big club, and you ain't in it."

Kosherbubba

I feel for you guys. I have a friend who has a daughter suffering from deadly seizures. Doctors know that CBD helps the ciezures and not conventional medicine but those doctors do not speak out against it. Instead she might have to move to a state that has at least medical MJ laws. Why do people have to leave their home state just to get medicine its ridiculous. This MJ negative stigma ignorance needs to stop and it seems like the lawmakers who are against MJ are probably smoking up in their own homes.

howie105

Its the same thing Sessions have been pushing all of his political career and in the end its now just the dying spasm of a dinosaur and its policies. More importantly, all this back and forth is an indicator that both the parties can't work together enough to institute the will of the people.

Tranquility

Republicans are always touting "states rights". Isn't it strange how they reverse themselves when it's an issue they disagree with?

In other news: http://news.gallup.com/poll/221018/record-high-support-legalizing-marijuana.aspx
"Republicans" are hardly the only party to reverse themselves. (If we were to imagine "Republicans" are on board with the policy and changed their opinion on federalism as a whole.) Democrats (Using the same criteria.) didn't much care for it during Obamacare.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Isn't it strange how they reverse themselves when it's an issue they disagree with?
To be fair, that's not even true anymore. More Republicans favor mmj now, if only by a slim margin.

gallup_marijuana.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...arijuana-legalization/?utm_term=.bb8818f67ba6

:peace:

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I still believe that history is not on their side. Eventually there will be a shift in thinking on cannabis and it won't be as profitable to fight or deny legalization. This may come in the form of more tax money lobbying best interests over big pharma. It might be the will of the people running the government in the future. Eventually Sessions and people who think like him will fade away. I look forward to the coming days when the anti-cannabis guidelines get kicked to the curb. I look forward to watching the prohibitionists fall out of power and listening to them cry.

Don't forget to stop by the Fuck You thread and give some likes. As you may imagine, Sessions has been very popular over there.

Baron23

it is appropriate the person who swore to uphold the law to...uphold the law.

It is also incumbent on the person to uphold the law to properly understand the various hierarchy of such laws at all levels to include state laws for commerce wholly within the state.

The commerce clause has been stretched out beyond any sort of recognition by a Federal government intent on homogenizing our country.

Further, its incumbent upon politicians at ALL levels of government to recognize that the ONLY power they have it conveyed to them by their constituents and they all have a responsibility to understand the will of the people as expressed through direct and representative democratic actions and not try to put people in jail because the wheels of goverment turn more slowly (or not at all) than the evolving will of the electorate. .

The fact that a majority of the people in this country support legalization, and a vast majority support the Federal government staying out of state level MJ laws, must be recognized and honored, IMO.

Otherwise, we should 86 the assholes which is looking like a very real possibility for some of these jerk offs.

Republicans are always touting "states rights". Isn't it strange how they reverse themselves when it's an issue they disagree with?

Please don't even go there....Obama did fuck all for us and he had the opportunity. Fuck, he was willing to do almost anything else by Presidential decree...why not MJ?...cause all of these politicians are self-serving, lead from behind, hypocrits.

By the by, the leftist Democrats seem to be strongly in favor of individual rights....until its an issue for which they want to tell you what to do...for your own good.

Sorry, I don't see any white hats in DC in either party.

Cheers

CurryLeafTreehugger

To be fair, that's not even true anymore. More Republicans favor mmj now, if only by a slim margin.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...arijuana-legalization/?utm_term=.bb8818f67ba6

It's not so much the rank & file being referred to in the Repugnican "they" as it is the entrenched old power brokers who have by and large lost their relevance - exactly like Jeff Sessions. Those guys are still 100% anti-"drug" and wallowing in all sorts of verifiably false positions (such as insisting marijuana is a "gateway" drug when the biggest "gateway" drug of all is alcohol, or continuing to keep it scheduled even in the face of overwhelming evidence that there is no rational reason for its current scheduling designation, etc etc).

They do not care about the facts. Those facts are inconvenient to their entrenched stand on these issues. They WILL NOT change. They WILL push this as far as they can. I listened to some smug Repugnican jagoff yammering on about how this will not be used to go after "Mom & Pop" MMJ dispensaries - but I've heard that crap before. I distinctly remember when they first started the property seizure stuff, which was allegedly NEVER going to be used for anything other than seizing the mansions, yachts, jewels, and bank accounts of "big drug kingpins".

Within weeks it was being used to leave families standing on the side of the road as local police-thugs drove off in the family vehicle, having seized it for finding "a white powder" in a foil packet - which turned out to be powdered bubblegum. Because, you know, powdered bubblegum looks and smells JUST EXACTLY like heroin or crack or meth or any other white powdered drug. And that is the biggest problem with those seizure laws - you don't ever have to be found guilty of a crime for them to seize your property. In fact, you never even have to be CHARGED. AT ALL. And if lab tests down the road vindicate Mom & Dad (Ooops, that really WAS powdered bubblegum!) - too late. That seizure is permanent after 10 days. It takes most people longer than that to come up with the money just to CONSULT a lawyer, let alone wade through the paperwork to get your stuff back.

Truth is they almost never levy property seizure laws against the actual kingpins of the drug business - because THOSE guys have entire shoals of sharks in pinstripe who are ready and able to bury the city in court orders and suits and countersuits. Nope. They levy this stuff almost entirely against the working poor, the elderly, and the middle class. My own father very nearly lost a rental property when he was in his 70s because a renter allegedly had a guest who was allegedly smoking pot. Nobody claimed he knew about that, and in fact, ultimately that case never even went to trial - but that didn't matter. I still believe that the only reason it WASN'T seized was that it was in a really bad neighborhood and it wasn't worth much of anything. Even getting it for "free", the city would have lost money on the deal. Had it been in an even SLIGHTLY better neighborhood, chances were he would have lost it regardless.

So when they grin their sharky grins and promise out of one side of their mouth that they're only going to get drug "kingpins", they're lying. I don't need to wait for the other shoe to drop, that's already happened and it will soon be clear that it dropped right across our necks. The claim being made is that they're after interstate commerce in "drugs" - which means all you guys out there who live on the border of a legal state, even if you're IN a legal state, and you've been using the interstate privileges on the other side of the border for whatever reason (proximity, selection, price) - you are an interstate criminal.

Also - did your state recently pass a MMJ law? That's great. Except - there is NO legal source for plants in new states. There never is because it was all illegal before. So all clones, seeds, plants have to be illegally smuggled in. Even if you buy legal plants in a bordering state via legal suppliers, as soon as you try to take them into your state, you are drug-smuggling. That means any grower or dispensary just starting up will, by definition, be involved in the interstate commerce of drugs because there's nowhere else to get the starting materials.

These guys are NOT going to be nice to mom & pop. They will TARGET mom & pop first because mom & pop don't have lawyers, don't have a lot of community support (eg they don't "know people who matter"), don't have a lot of money - and won't have ANY after all their cash is seized for being drug money (and it will all be in cash because banks still won't deal with MMJ businesses).

And they will target us, MMJ users, because we are REGISTERED. They know who we are and most of us are too sick and too poor to fight much. I'll bet you anything the next thing down the road will be sanctions against people on disability who have ever registered on a MMJ registry. They will cancel our SSD, SSDI, and Medicaid/Medicare, permanently and forever, just like they did for financial aid for college students. We are now officially felons again.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
It's not so much the rank & file being referred to in the Repugnican "they" as it is the entrenched old power brokers who have by and large lost their relevance - exactly like Jeff Sessions. Those guys are still 100% anti-"drug" and wallowing in all sorts of verifiably false positions (such as insisting marijuana is a "gateway" drug when the biggest "gateway" drug of all is alcohol, or continuing to keep it scheduled even in the face of overwhelming evidence that there is no rational reason for its current scheduling designation, etc etc).

They do not care about the facts. Those facts are inconvenient to their entrenched stand on these issues. They WILL NOT change. They WILL push this as far as they can. I listened to some smug Repugnican jagoff yammering on about how this will not be used to go after "Mom & Pop" MMJ dispensaries - but I've heard that crap before. I distinctly remember when they first started the property seizure stuff, which was allegedly NEVER going to be used for anything other than seizing the mansions, yachts, jewels, and bank accounts of "big drug kingpins".

Within weeks it was being used to leave families standing on the side of the road as local police-thugs drove off in the family vehicle, having seized it for finding "a white powder" in a foil packet - which turned out to be powdered bubblegum. Because, you know, powdered bubblegum looks and smells JUST EXACTLY like heroin or crack or meth or any other white powdered drug. And that is the biggest problem with those seizure laws - you don't ever have to be found guilty of a crime for them to seize your property. In fact, you never even have to be CHARGED. AT ALL. And if lab tests down the road vindicate Mom & Dad (Ooops, that really WAS powdered bubblegum!) - too late. That seizure is permanent after 10 days. It takes most people longer than that to come up with the money just to CONSULT a lawyer, let alone wade through the paperwork to get your stuff back.

Truth is they almost never levy property seizure laws against the actual kingpins of the drug business - because THOSE guys have entire shoals of sharks in pinstripe who are ready and able to bury the city in court orders and suits and countersuits. Nope. They levy this stuff almost entirely against the working poor, the elderly, and the middle class. My own father very nearly lost a rental property when he was in his 70s because a renter allegedly had a guest who was allegedly smoking pot. Nobody claimed he knew about that, and in fact, ultimately that case never even went to trial - but that didn't matter. I still believe that the only reason it WASN'T seized was that it was in a really bad neighborhood and it wasn't worth much of anything. Even getting it for "free", the city would have lost money on the deal. Had it been in an even SLIGHTLY better neighborhood, chances were he would have lost it regardless.

So when they grin their sharky grins and promise out of one side of their mouth that they're only going to get drug "kingpins", they're lying. I don't need to wait for the other shoe to drop, that's already happened and it will soon be clear that it dropped right across our necks. The claim being made is that they're after interstate commerce in "drugs" - which means all you guys out there who live on the border of a legal state, even if you're IN a legal state, and you've been using the interstate privileges on the other side of the border for whatever reason (proximity, selection, price) - you are an interstate criminal.

Also - did your state recently pass a MMJ law? That's great. Except - there is NO legal source for plants in new states. There never is because it was all illegal before. So all clones, seeds, plants have to be illegally smuggled in. Even if you buy legal plants in a bordering state via legal suppliers, as soon as you try to take them into your state, you are drug-smuggling. That means any grower or dispensary just starting up will, by definition, be involved in the interstate commerce of drugs because there's nowhere else to get the starting materials.

These guys are NOT going to be nice to mom & pop. They will TARGET mom & pop first because mom & pop don't have lawyers, don't have a lot of community support (eg they don't "know people who matter"), don't have a lot of money - and won't have ANY after all their cash is seized for being drug money (and it will all be in cash because banks still won't deal with MMJ businesses).

And they will target us, MMJ users, because we are REGISTERED. They know who we are and most of us are too sick and too poor to fight much. I'll bet you anything the next thing down the road will be sanctions against people on disability who have ever registered on a MMJ registry. They will cancel our SSD, SSDI, and Medicaid/Medicare, permanently and forever, just like they did for financial aid for college students. We are now officially felons again.
I don't disagree that many (most?) politicians are corrupt and will do whatever it takes to keep their donors happy. I was making a point that they are now doing so against the will of their own base, which seems to highlight who they really represent. Public opinion has changed dramatically since my state first started a MMJ program 20 years ago. Politicians who fail to recognize this will eventually have to be held accountable and I believe they will at some point. When that point comes remains an open question, but it will happen. I don't see Cannabis becoming less popular any time soon.

Also, please don't use derogatory terms like "Repugnicans" as it is clearly meant to be offensive and will not advance the dialogue in this discussion. Name calling is against our rules and will not be tolerated. Let's treat each other with respect, no matter how strongly we disagree with their politics. This is not a political forum and political discussion is generally frowned upon here. We are all here for a very different reason so let's all try to keep that in mind as we interact with one another on FC. ;)

Top Bottom