Crackdown on Legalized Marijuana

C No Ego

Being a politico agnostic I really see the problem with national MJ legalization (many other things too) reaching across party lines. Its going to take leadership willing to step up and fight the fight and neither major party seems willing to take on the task.
both parties need to up and say- We made a mistake, Our Bad.... it is now OK to touch cannaibs plant... it is medically active and you human are a biologically active organism so it fits

vaporist4LIFE

both parties need to up and say- We made a mistake, Our Bad.... it is now OK to touch cannaibs plant... it is medically active and you human are a biologically active organism so it fits
They aka the government has long had a plan for it. Probably why they have that dang patent .they obviously know the benefits to some degree .
All about money ...one day this might change..I wish this more than anything .
Money isn't the root of evil imo , it's our greed to invokes such a scourge of it all.
I say let's go back to bartering :)

howie105

I don't think people who get paid to fight tooth and nail for the interests of the businesses that support them are going to stop until they retire.

Once a position (pro or con) becomes a political tool it can move from generation to generation with very little need for thought or change. Drugs, birth control, gun control are just a few of the examples of positions that spring to mind. Sadly as citizens we don't grill candidates enough on positions and policy to make them think, explain and defend such positions we let them babble the same old positional shorthand time after time and folks buy it.

Last edited:

neverforget711

I'm more optimistic honestly. Bullyman is a man of vice, getting narcos out of the trade is a way to "pay for the wall" that even Mexico can support. The former DNC chairlady, the one that screwed Bernie, impaired cannabis for the very same moneyed interest, but that doesn't work when you have your own FU Money. Meanwhile, I am realistic, he has to roleplay as an R, he will not rock the boat unless he wants to be like Justin from Canada and use it to shave off single-issue voters from the other party and get re-elected.

Edit:
I'd like to know how many of you will reverse your opinion on Trump if he did this.

Last edited:

YungLeaner

I feel as though this forum is an oasis of calm from my other websites where political arguments rage all over. This is going to be my first and last post in this thread. Please don't flame me, I'm only sharing an
opinion and everyone is welcome to theirs.

The argument for Trump was always that he would run America like a business, empowering intelligent and talented individuals to run the many parts of America that he could not focus on completely.

Jeff Beauregard Sessions is not who marijuana enthusiasts should want in charge of the DOJ. He has already spoken at length about his belief that marijuana is related to the opioid epidemic, a false and ludicrous claim...he has asked prosecutors across the country to re-instate policies that had them jailing non-violent drug offenders for decades via mandatory minimums set in place by the War on Drugs...

This is a cannabis forum so I won't get into the desiccation of political conduct ongoing in the country, or our president's verbal defamation of media members taking place on Twitter. However those aspects of this presidency mean that I would not flip on Trump even if marijuana was completely legalized tomorrow. As for those who think he is "playing the republican role," ask yourself what the difference is between a president "pretending" to be a republican and a president being a republican. The GOP healthcare bill has 17% approval rating in this country but Trump is onboard. The only party line trump has not towed is that line of disapproval toward Russia's geopolitical and cyber hostilities.

Purely on the subject of marijuana, this administration has been a disaster mitigated only by the collective sanity of the legislature in both parties...they have no interest in bringing back the worst of the war on drugs.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Health & Medicine

Is marijuana a secret weapon against the opioid epidemic?
Science Friday

July 09, 2017 · 10:00 AM EDT

RTR3TJ5B%207-9-2017.jpg

Master Grower Ryan Douglas waters marijuana plants in a growing room at Tweed Marijuana Inc. in Smith's Falls, Ontario.

This story is based on a radio interview.Listen to the full interview.

But in the same speech, Sessions made clear that he thinks the drug crisis isn’t limited to opiate abuse. “I am astonished to hear people suggest that we can solve our heroin crisis by legalizing marijuana — so, people can trade one life-wrecking dependency for another that’s only slightly less awful,” he said.

Studies have shown a different link between marijuana and opioids, however. “Really, if we stopped medical marijuana programs that are now in place in 29 states and Washington, DC … the science suggests we would worsen the opioid epidemic,” says Dina Fine Maron, a medicine and health editor at Scientific American, who wrote a recent story on the subject.

She explains that states with medical marijuana programs have fewer opioid overdose-related deaths than states without medical marijuana — 25 percent fewer, according to a 2014 study cited in her article.

“The reality is that the literature right now suggests that if anyone is using an opioid — whether it be a prescription painkiller or something like heroin — a prescription painkiller is more likely [than marijuana] to lead to drug abuse,” she says, “because it’s more addictive and obviously can be more lethal.”

According to research from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, Maron explains, the majority of people who use marijuana do not go on to use harder drugs. Meanwhile, nearly half of young people who inject heroin first abused prescription opioids.

University of Georgia public policy professor W. David Bradford has studied how legal medical marijuana impacts prescription use by enrollees of Medicare, the federal health insurance program for seniors and the disabled. “What we found … was significant reductions in prescription use, most notably among pain medications, and the largest plurality of those would be opiates,” he says.

Then he researched the effect on enrollees in Medicaid, the federal-state program that helps the poor and people with disabilities pay for health care.

“We redid the study for Medicaid just this past month in Health Affairs and, again, found large reductions in the use of prescription pain medications when states turned on medical cannabis laws.”

But in a letter to Congress in May, Attorney General Sessions asked lawmakers to allow a key medical marijuana amendment to expire, citing the “historical drug epidemic.”

Currently, the amendment keeps the Department of Justice from using taxpayer dollars to interfere with state medical marijuana programs, Maron says. “And if it’s not renewed, that means that Jeff Sessions and his office could go ahead and prosecute dispensaries.” (Sessions’ office did not return Science Friday’s requests for comment.)

Legal medical marijuana isn’t a silver bullet for the complex US opiate crisis, Bradford says. But while dozens of people in the US die each day from opioids, there has never been a fatal overdose documented from marijuana alone.

“The National [Academies] of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine just this past January issued a comprehensive report where they said there is conclusive evidence that cannabis can be effective at managing pain,” he says.

Ohmie

Govrnmnt fund adult circumcision & frenuloplasty!
Trump can talk that but anything other than national decriminalization is meaningless imo. Let's just segregate back into colonies wdy. Prohibition anywhere is inflation everywhere

Last edited:

Deleted Member 1643

Just found this quote amusing.

Trump’s Fury Erodes His Relationship With Sessions, an Early Ally
By GLENN THRUSH and MAGGIE HABERMANJULY 20, 2017

The president initially bonded with Sessions because he saw him as a tough guy,” said Mr. [Roger] Stone..., “There’s a lack of aggressiveness with Sessions, unless it involves chasing people for smoking pot,” he added, referring to the attorney general’s recent focus on marijuana offenses largely ignored under President Barack Obama.

Edit: Love your sig quote, @howie105!

Last edited:

howie105

I'm more optimistic honestly. Bullyman is a man of vice, getting narcos out of the trade is a way to "pay for the wall" that even Mexico can support. The former DNC chairlady, the one that screwed Bernie, impaired cannabis for the very same moneyed interest, but that doesn't work when you have your own FU Money. Meanwhile, I am realistic, he has to roleplay as an R, he will not rock the boat unless he wants to be like Justin from Canada and use it to shave off single-issue voters from the other party and get re-elected.

Edit:
I'd like to know how many of you will reverse your opinion on Trump if he did this.

What I like or don't like about Trump has very little to do with his or his administrations stance on MJ. Sounds weird but I haven't had a problem getting marijuana for years and other issues are much more pressing IMO. Like a decade and a half long war, erosion of constitutional rights, the economy, education and health care. To be fair neither party has really done well on those and other issues.

Last edited:

gangababa

"President Trump’s Task Force (link) on Crime Reduction and Public Safety, led by Sessions, is expected to release a report next week that criminal justice reform advocates fear will link marijuana to violent crime and recommend tougher sentences for those caught growing, selling and smoking the plant."
“Task Force subcommittees will also undertake a review of existing policies in the areas of charging, sentencing, and marijuana ...Criminal justice reform advocates fear Sessions’ memo signals stricter enforcement is ahead."
Sessions sent a letter in May asking congressional leaders to do away with ... prohibiting the agency from using federal funds to prevent states "from implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession or cultivation of medical marijuana."
"On Wednesday, Sessions reportedly re-established a controversial criminal asset seizure program ahead of the committee’s recommendations."
"According to Politifact, Trump pledged to leave marijuana legalization up to the states while on the campaign trail. But last month he reportedly pushed back against the congressional ban on the DOJ interfering with state medical marijuana laws in a signing statement, asserting that he isn’t legally bound to the limits imposed by Congress."
But Sessions isn’t alone in his views on pot. Though he said he believes in the need for sentencing reform, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) seemed to agree this week that there needs to be stricter enforcement."

My emphasis added
Not-voting has consequences
Voting wrong has consequences
Both sides are not the same
A president who can pardon his own crimes is a dictator whose government can not be trusted

Deleted Member 1643

So gratifying to see the American Nationalsozialists wringing their hands over the Trump-Sessions rift.

From Breitbart:

Jeff Sessions: A Man Who Embodies the Movement That Elected Donald Trump President

by Matthew Boyle25 Jul 2017Washington, D.C.

Sessions is a critical part of the Trump administration—and before there was a Trump administration, Sessions was a critical part of the “movement” that elected Trump to the presidency. Losing Sessions could endanger the administration and the [sic] split the critical coalition that helped Trump to the presidency.

HighSeasSailor

TIME: How Jeff Sessions Could Crack Down on Legal Marijuana (And Why He Might Not)

Sessions has numerous formidable legal tools at his disposal, has indicated that he wants to attack both recreational and medical marijuana, and has previously compared pot to heroin. So why aren't people in the cannabis industry more concerned?

Because legal pot is hugely popular, even among Republicans.

"I don't see a mass wave of people feeling panicked or making exit strategies or changing their plans," says Taylor West, deputy director of the National Cannabis Industry Association. "We are seeing a certain amount of optimism that the support for the industry is such that a move to crack down on it would create a bipartisan outcry."

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Senate committee, rejecting request from Sessions, keeps protection for medical marijuana states

In May, U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions sent a letter to Congress asking them not to extend the protections

The Senate Appropriations Committee has approved an amendment to protect state medical marijuana programs from federal interference, despite a written request from Attorney General Jeff Sessions earlier this year that they not do so.

The amendment, put forward Thursday by Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont), adds a clause to the Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies (CJS) appropriations bill for Fiscal Year 2018 that prevents the Department of Justice from using funds to prevent any “State or jurisdiction from implementing a law that authorizes the use, distribution, possession, or cultivation of medical marijuana.”

CarolKing

• U.S. Attorney General Sessions criticizes Washington state’s legal marijuana system
Originally published August 4, 2017 at 2:08 pm Updated August 5, 2017 at 2:26 pm
5df85d28-7976-11e7-9d40-beed802dbdca-780x601.jpg

Jeff Sessions’ recent letter critiquing Washington’s legal pot system was disputed by state officials, who say Sessions is ill-informed and relying on outdated information. (ZACH GIBSON/NYT)

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ recent letter critiquing Washington’s legal pot system was disputed by state officials, who say Sessions is ill-informed and relying on outdated information.

SECTION SPONSOR

Share story

By
Bob Young
Seattle Times staff reporter
Is U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions about to crack down on legal marijuana?

A recent letter he sent to top Washington officials, critiquing the state’s legal pot system, “raises concerns significantly,” said state Attorney General Bob Ferguson.

But before anyone rushes out to stock up on legal supplies, The Associated Press reports that a task force assembled by Sessions is recommending that the U.S. Department of Justice continue to study the Obama administration’s arms-length approach to legalization experiments that spread from Washington and Colorado in 2012 to eight states today.

Ferguson and Gov. Jay Inslee said Friday that shortcomings of Washington’s legal pot system cited by Sessions are inaccurate and out-of-date.

“Honestly, it’s hard to take him seriously if he relies on such outdated information,” Ferguson said in an interview.

Ferguson pointed to the first bullet point in Sessions’ letter, raising “serious questions” about Washington’s legal system. Sessions refers to a lack of medical-marijuana regulations leading to a growth in the black market for pot.

But Sessions’ concerns come from an early 2016 law-enforcement report before the state merged a largely unregulated medical system with its strictly regulated recreational system, Ferguson said.

“Do your homework, get good information,” he said in panning Sessions’ letter and pledging to uphold the state’s pot law, which allows adults to possess small amounts.

Ammunition for a federal crackdown was not supplied by Sessions’ Task Force on Crime Reduction and Public Safety, a group of prosecutors and federal law-enforcement officials.

The group’s report largely reiterates the current Justice Department policy on marijuana.

Obama’s approach was embodied in the so-called Cole Memo, named after U.S. Deputy Attorney General James Cole, who wrote it. The memo said the feds would not stop the state-regulated systems as long as they adhered to priorities such as keeping legal pot from minors and from being diverted illegally into other states.

Sessions, who has assailed marijuana as comparable to heroin and blamed it for spikes in violence, has been promising to reconsider existing pot policy since he took office six months ago. His statements have sparked both support and worry across the political spectrum as a growing number of states have worked to legalize the drug.

Worriers could read the letter to Inslee and Ferguson as staging for a crackdown.

But Sessions’ letter might be intended to put states on notice that he is going to watchdog their adherence to the Cole Memo, Ferguson said.

“I’d say Washington has worked hard to comply with those goals,” Ferguson said.

Youth use of marijuana has not increased according to surveys of thousands of students by the state Department of Health. And a recent study in the American Journal of Public Health concluded that three years after legalization, crash-fatality rates for Washington and Colorado were not statistically different from those in similar states without legal pot.

“I am incredibly proud of the work we’ve done to implement legalization in a way that keeps youth safe, minimizes diversion into the black market, and minimizes diversion of product out of state,” Inslee said in a statement.

Sessions’ letter responds to several Ferguson and Inslee had sent this year to the top federal law officer amid rumors of a crackdown.

Ferguson and Inslee had stressed Washington’s robust marijuana regulations and their concern for public health. In replying, Sessions noted — as the Cole Memo does — that the federal government may still enforce its prohibition of marijuana.

This man has so many other larger problems other than cannabis.
CK

Last edited:

CurryLeafTreehugger

Just thought of this on July 4.

Jeff Sessions would have locked up a hemp farmer named George Washington.

While I appreciate the irony, lets not get too gooey-eyed about GW and his industrial (not medicinal) hemp.

He was, after all, responsible for putting down the whiskey rebellion and enacting and enforcing stringent alcohol production laws and taxes that protected his own distilleries and were disproportionately favorable to large commercial distilleries while penalizing small home operators to the point where they could not compete because they had to pay much higher excise taxes.

Just sayin'. GW was not a champion of High Society.

C No Ego

While I appreciate the irony, lets not get too gooey-eyed about GW and his industrial (not medicinal) hemp.

He was, after all, responsible for putting down the whiskey rebellion and enacting and enforcing stringent alcohol production laws and taxes that protected his own distilleries and were disproportionately favorable to large commercial distilleries while penalizing small home operators to the point where they could not compete because they had to pay much higher excise taxes.

Just sayin'. GW was not a champion of High Society.

He did smoke " the cannabis" out on the back porch and made it known not to smoke the stuff from the fields but use the Indian stock ( grown out back) to smoke on. His wife made American flags with the hemp grown out in the fields... back when the politician was more Real

CarolKing

Much to the dismay of US Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the Senate Appropriations Committee recently approved a budget amendment in an appropriations bill covering fiscal 2017.

The amendment would protect states with responsible medical marijuana laws from Department of Justice interference and would help prevent a federal crackdown on state-legal cannabis businesses—a position the majority of Americans support

However, the Department of Justice (DOJ) recently issued a letter that stated "Congress has determined that marijuana is a dangerous drug and that the illegal distribution and sale of marijuana is a crime.” The DOJ is committed to enforcing the Controlled Substances Act under the guise of addressing “the most significant threats to public health and safety.”

Keep Up With This Story And More By Subscribing Now

Yet, cannabis is not dangerous and it is not a public health or safety threat.

Marijuana has been scientifically proven to be less harmful than alcohol and tobacco (both legal substances under federal law passed by Congress).

When cannabis businesses come into neighborhoods, crime goes down, not up.

In states with with medical marijuana laws, opioid use has even been shown to decrease. This makes it nearly impossible to see any threat at except the lack of federal regulations.

In May, Sessions, an ardent opponent to marijuana legalization, issued a memorandum ordering federal prosecutors to pursue the toughest possible sentences for certain nonviolent drug offenders, which overturned the bipartisan-supported policy of issuing mandatory minimums sentences for non-violent offenders implemented under the Obama Administration. The AG was blasted by Democrats and Republicans alike.

gettyimages-810212692.jpg
David Burr removes leaves on marijuana plants to allow more light for growth at Essence Vegas's 54,000-square-foot marijuana cultivation facility on July 6, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. On July 1, Nevada joined seven other states allowing recreational marijuana use and became the first of four states that voted to legalize recreational sales in November's election to allow dispensaries to sell cannabis for recreational use to anyone over 21. Since July 1, sales of cannabis products in the state have generated more than USD 1 million in tax revenue. ETHAN MILLER/GETTY

Then, in July, Sessions announced the DOJ was considering rolling back a series of Obama-era curbs on civil-asset forfeiture—a highly disputed practice that would allow law enforcement to permanently seize property, and in many states, cash from individuals and businesses, who may never actually be charged with a crime. This controversial practice is riddled with and is ripe for corruption, considering law enforcement only needs a “suspicion of a crime” to seize assets and, in many states, cash under the program.

Sessions is forcing his outdated, inaccurate views of cannabis on the American people, despite two-thirds of our country passing responsible medical marijuana laws, 61 percent supporting full legalization for adult use, 81 percent backing medical marijuana use, and 71 percent of Americans opposing a federal crackdown on cannabis.

Sessions’s positions are out of sync with President Trump’s goal of creating more well paying jobs and they are out of touch with Americans, veterans, patients, business owners, and the states, who depend on the billions in tax dollars collected from the cannabis industry for important state, county and municipal programs.

While it is clear the majority of Americans have become much more educated about marijuana, Sessions seems to be misleading the country about what marijuana is, its uses and how we even got here in the first place. (According to Richard Nixon’s top aides, Nixon's war on drugs was racially motivated).

This leaves us questioning what Sessions’s war on marijuana is really about?

As Americans, we must ask ourselves tough questions: is this racially motivated?

Is it about our big-money prisons systems?

Is it pressure from political donors? Other special interest groups?

Maybe, it is Harry Anslinger, the father of drug criminalization himself, channeling himself through our Attorney General?

Whatever the explanation, a federal crackdown on the cannabis industry would mean medical marijuana patients and veterans will be denied access to treatments that improve their quality of life. Tens of thousands of Americans would lose their incomes and jobs. Billions less would be collected from cannabis businesses for state and municipal programs.

More otherwise law-abiding citizens would be locked up in prisons. More families will be torn apart. Innovation would be stunted, and pioneering entrepreneurs would be treated as criminals.

Congress has the power to stop Sessions’s Reefer Madness mentalitywhile helping our country combat its opioid crisis, giving our nation's sickest patients access to alternative medical treatments, generating billions in tax dollars for programs, creating jobs and spawning innovation—all of which benefits Americans, not harms them.

Congress should step up finally pass comprehensive and inclusive legalization reforms. If they do, you can rest assured the American people will applaud them for passing common sense regulations that will benefit our nation, patients, veterans, small businesses and pioneering job creators.

hibeam

alpha +
According to someone posing online as Larry Flint:
"Here’s how, while president, to look like you did a great thing for the cannabis industry even though the only entity you really help is big pharma, alcohol, tobacco, and DEA. Appoint a total bonkjuice brain for attorney general, let him spout off his offensive letch water for as long as possible, then at the last minute fire him. You will be suddenly carried on the shoulders of all pro cannabis people for slaying the evil dankless demon…such a hero you will be."

Top Bottom