1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Crackdown on Legalized Marijuana

Discussion in 'Cannabis News and Activism' started by Accept, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Indeed he does.

I almost hope he does go after the MJ industry as I think that will be the last of ole' Jeffe at the DOJ.

Accept and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  2. CurryLeafTreehugger

CurryLeafTreehugger Well-Known Member

While I appreciate the irony, lets not get too gooey-eyed about GW and his industrial (not medicinal) hemp.

He was, after all, responsible for putting down the whiskey rebellion and enacting and enforcing stringent alcohol production laws and taxes that protected his own distilleries and were disproportionately favorable to large commercial distilleries while penalizing small home operators to the point where they could not compete because they had to pay much higher excise taxes.

Just sayin'. GW was not a champion of High Society.

3. C No Ego

C No Ego Well-Known Member

He did smoke " the cannabis" out on the back porch and made it known not to smoke the stuff from the fields but use the Indian stock ( grown out back) to smoke on. His wife made American flags with the hemp grown out in the fields... back when the politician was more Real

Accept, macbill, His_Highness and 2 others like this.
  4. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

Much to the dismay of US Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the Senate Appropriations Committee recently approved a budget amendment in an appropriations bill covering fiscal 2017.

The amendment would protect states with responsible medical marijuana laws from Department of Justice interference and would help prevent a federal crackdown on state-legal cannabis businesses—a position the majority of Americans support

However, the Department of Justice (DOJ) recently issued a letter that stated "Congress has determined that marijuana is a dangerous drug and that the illegal distribution and sale of marijuana is a crime.” The DOJ is committed to enforcing the Controlled Substances Act under the guise of addressing “the most significant threats to public health and safety.”

Keep Up With This Story And More By Subscribing Now

Yet, cannabis is not dangerous and it is not a public health or safety threat.

Marijuana has been scientifically proven to be less harmful than alcohol and tobacco (both legal substances under federal law passed by Congress).

When cannabis businesses come into neighborhoods, crime goes down, not up.

In states with with medical marijuana laws, opioid use has even been shown to decrease. This makes it nearly impossible to see any threat at except the lack of federal regulations.

In May, Sessions, an ardent opponent to marijuana legalization, issued a memorandum ordering federal prosecutors to pursue the toughest possible sentences for certain nonviolent drug offenders, which overturned the bipartisan-supported policy of issuing mandatory minimums sentences for non-violent offenders implemented under the Obama Administration. The AG was blasted by Democrats and Republicans alike.

[​IMG]David Burr removes leaves on marijuana plants to allow more light for growth at Essence Vegas's 54,000-square-foot marijuana cultivation facility on July 6, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. On July 1, Nevada joined seven other states allowing recreational marijuana use and became the first of four states that voted to legalize recreational sales in November's election to allow dispensaries to sell cannabis for recreational use to anyone over 21. Since July 1, sales of cannabis products in the state have generated more than USD 1 million in tax revenue. ETHAN MILLER/GETTY

Then, in July, Sessions announced the DOJ was considering rolling back a series of Obama-era curbs on civil-asset forfeiture—a highly disputed practice that would allow law enforcement to permanently seize property, and in many states, cash from individuals and businesses, who may never actually be charged with a crime. This controversial practice is riddled with and is ripe for corruption, considering law enforcement only needs a “suspicion of a crime” to seize assets and, in many states, cash under the program.

Sessions is forcing his outdated, inaccurate views of cannabis on the American people, despite two-thirds of our country passing responsible medical marijuana laws, 61 percent supporting full legalization for adult use, 81 percent backing medical marijuana use, and 71 percent of Americans opposing a federal crackdown on cannabis.

Sessions’s positions are out of sync with President Trump’s goal of creating more well paying jobs and they are out of touch with Americans, veterans, patients, business owners, and the states, who depend on the billions in tax dollars collected from the cannabis industry for important state, county and municipal programs.

While it is clear the majority of Americans have become much more educated about marijuana, Sessions seems to be misleading the country about what marijuana is, its uses and how we even got here in the first place. (According to Richard Nixon’s top aides, Nixon's war on drugs was racially motivated).

This leaves us questioning what Sessions’s war on marijuana is really about?

As Americans, we must ask ourselves tough questions: is this racially motivated?

Is it about our big-money prisons systems?

Is it pressure from political donors? Other special interest groups?

Maybe, it is Harry Anslinger, the father of drug criminalization himself, channeling himself through our Attorney General?

Whatever the explanation, a federal crackdown on the cannabis industry would mean medical marijuana patients and veterans will be denied access to treatments that improve their quality of life. Tens of thousands of Americans would lose their incomes and jobs. Billions less would be collected from cannabis businesses for state and municipal programs.

More otherwise law-abiding citizens would be locked up in prisons. More families will be torn apart. Innovation would be stunted, and pioneering entrepreneurs would be treated as criminals.

Congress has the power to stop Sessions’s Reefer Madness mentalitywhile helping our country combat its opioid crisis, giving our nation's sickest patients access to alternative medical treatments, generating billions in tax dollars for programs, creating jobs and spawning innovation—all of which benefits Americans, not harms them.

Congress should step up finally pass comprehensive and inclusive legalization reforms. If they do, you can rest assured the American people will applaud them for passing common sense regulations that will benefit our nation, patients, veterans, small businesses and pioneering job creators.

pxl_jockey, Accept, macbill and 13 others like this.
  5. hibeam

hibeam alpha +

According to someone posing online as Larry Flint:
    "Here’s how, while president, to look like you did a great thing for the cannabis industry even though the only entity you really help is big pharma, alcohol, tobacco, and DEA. Appoint a total bonkjuice brain for attorney general, let him spout off his offensive letch water for as long as possible, then at the last minute fire him. You will be suddenly carried on the shoulders of all pro cannabis people for slaying the evil dankless demon…such a hero you will be."

6. howie105

howie105 Well-Known Member

Once Mexico and Canada finish making their moves the war on pot is effectively over unless there is somehow enough political capital to be made by continuing to beat the dead horse as opposed rolling in the taxes.
    :horse: or :2c::love::2c:

Vapor_Eyes, Accept, C No Ego and 3 others like this.
  7. MyCollife

MyCollife Well-Known Member

Let’s hope you’re right. Sessions seems to be blaming the opioid crisis on liberal marijuana laws. Of course, that must be the reason for opiate use in his home state of Alabama, right?

He wants to go back to the days of “Just say no.” He has an obsession with marijuana that’s disturbing. Over two decades of progress are now in serious danger. Hopefully the money will talk and Jeff Sessions won’t win. He’ll need the support of Congress with this one. With the support for medical & recreational marijuana at an all time high, the tax income from marijuana sales, and various marijuana related businesses he might have some issues. Also, I’m not sure Republicans are going to want to go against public opinion anytime soon given the current state of affairs and that might be what really prevents a giant crackdown on at least medical marijuana.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Vapor_Eyes, Accept and C No Ego like this.
  8. C No Ego

medical marijuana right from t he start is at a disadvantage... if it's considered OK do you realize it will be the only plant to be termed medical? plants are the opposite of medicine when we think of medicine as made in a lab to prescribe etc... that's why medical marijuan will never make it in that form.. it's better categorized as ( botanical food substance ) ( botanical drug substance) or plain OL plant life that pops up like.. the medical programs will all be placed into rec legal systems so that plants do not compete with big pharma

hibeam and Accept like this.
  9. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

Fuck you to Sessions and Hugh Hewitt. I thought Hewitt was one of the brighter bulbs in the republican media? I guess not.
    Jeff Sessions 'Can't Comment' On Marijuana Crackdown Plans
    Oct. 26, 2017 this is written by Tom Angell

I cover the policy and politics of marijuana Hugh Hewitt about using federal racketeering laws to go after marijuana businesses.

"A lot of states are just simply breaking the law," Hewitt argued. "A lot of money is being made and banked. One RICO prosecution of one producer and the banks that service them would shut this all down. Is such a prosecution going to happen?"

Sessions replied that he's not sure an enforcement strategy could be so simple.

"I don't know that one prosecution would be quite as effective as that," he said. "We will analyze all those cases and I can't comment on the existence of an investigation at this time. I hear you. You're making a suggestion. I hear it. You're lobbying."

In a separate appearance at the Heritage Foundation on Thursday, Sessions elaborated on his disdain for society's shifting attitudes toward marijuana and other drugs.

"We've got to reestablish first a view that you should say no. People should say no to drug use," he said. "This whole country needs to be not so lackadaisical about drugs. ... Much of the addiction starts with marijuana. It's not a harmless drug."

While a senator, Sessions was one of Congress's most vocal opponents of cannabis law reform. During one hearing, for example, he said, "Good people don't smoke marijuana."

He also spoke out against legalization last month.

"I've never felt that we should legalize marijuana," he said. "It doesn't strike me that the country would be better if it's being sold on every street corner."

Also last month, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein expressed concerns about state cannabis reforms and said that the Justice Department is considering rescinding Obama-era guidance that has generally allowed local marijuana laws to proceed without much federal interference.

"We are reviewing that policy," he said. "We haven't changed it, but we are reviewing it. We're looking at the states that have legalized or decriminalized marijuana, trying to evaluate what the impact is."

But last week, Sessions indicated in appearance before the Senate Judiciary Committee that he is open to at least allowing more marijuana cultivation for research purposes.

“I think it would be healthy to have some more competition in the supply,” he said in response to a question from Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), who has in recent weeks become a leading Congressional champion for medical cannabis.

A Gallup poll released on Wednesday found that 64% of Americans support legalizing marijuana. For the first time in the firm's 48 years of polling on cannabis, a majority of Republicans are on board with ending prohibition.

Tom Angell edits cannabis news portal Marijuana Moment and founded the nonprofit Marijuana Majority. Follow Tom on Twitter and subscribe to his newsletter

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  10. Chicken #420

Chicken #420 I and I be Irie Vaping with U and U in Zion, mon!

You tell me I can't do this and that...
    The world can't be much wickeder!
    -Ziggy Marley

11. Accept

Accept Well-Known Member

From today's NYT:

The straight dope on marijuana use among ‘good people’
    By NICHOLAS FANDOS and MATT APUZZO

:rolleyes:

A silver lining in Roy Moore's shenanigans? Sessions is being urged to reclaim his Senate seat.

12. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Sessions "logic" is the same thing we are seeing with many of these Hollywood, corporate, and government rapists.

I shouldn't be held accountable NOW for things I was able to get away with THEN.

13. FractaLSD

FractaLSD PsychMyc

Imagine, using RICO, meant for mafia and such, to take down mom and pop dispensaries.

Good news, guys, no need to worry about Jeff Sessions cause he isnt doing shit.

I even read a quote recently where he said something like "back in the 80s it was very unfashionable to smoke marijuana, i guess things have changed in todays world" (referring to his MJ disconnect from modern society).

I think even sessions knows not to fuck with a multi-billion $ industry thats been a boon to the states and plenty of politicals have briefed him on this reality. The only time he will say shit like that is probably when his own ass is on the line and he needs to distract democrats with something scarier than Russia meddling

I think most important: its good to be an activist, but dont be down in the dumps about a hypothetical

hibeam, mitchgo61 and TeeJay1952 like this.
  14. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomang...ijuana-policy-remains-in-effect/#a37981b3318e

“Obama-era guidance that allows states to legalize marijuana without federal interference remains in effect, U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions said on Tuesday during a congressional hearing. He also conceded that cannabis is not as dangerous as heroin and that a current budget rider prevents the Department of Justice from prosecuting people who are in compliance with state medical marijuana laws.”

Fat Freddy, hibeam and C No Ego like this.
  15. howie105

howie105 Well-Known Member

In the past federal policy on MJ has been politically and money driven, which has seldom been a good for MJ users. I doubt that those driving the goals in the opposite direction, but for the same reasons (positional and financial advantage) will do as well as they could. The fed just needs to pull all its MJ regulations and walk away. The MJ community can take care of its self.

16. C No Ego

I was thinking that Bill only protected States with Medical and not so much the rec side of things? are rec states protected in that bill as well?

17. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

Not technically. It prevents the DOJ from using any federal funds to go after medical providers or users in states with legal MMJ. Amazingly, our little hobbit appears to have expanded his understanding of it to include legal rec weed. Sounds like, tentatively, good news.

Of course one could argue the 10th Amendment actually protects the states' rights in this regard, but I'm guessing lil ol' Jeffy doesn't fully grok the bill of rights.

C No Ego and asdf420 like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors