1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Crackdown on Legalized Marijuana

Discussion in 'Cannabis News and Activism' started by Accept, Feb 25, 2017.

1. His_Highness

His_Highness In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

@florduh and @OldNewbie - if I were to try and get to the heart of the debate could the disagreement be as simple as:
    - More Dems are for legalization than Repubs
    - If Trump hadn't won J. Sessions would not have been given the AG role

2. florduh

florduh Well-Known Member

That summarizes my points exactly.

I don't think the Dems are perfect on the cannabis issue. Or any other. But they are objectively better than the alternative if legalization is your goal.

There are pro-cannabis Republican Senators and Congressmen. That doesn't change the fact that when they propose legalization measures, they are largely supported by Dems.

And yes, prior to the election, we knew Trump would nominate a rabid prohibitionist to the AG spot.

Silver420Surfer likes this.
  3. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

I agree they say they support cannabis issues more than Republicans.

Nope. See (Repeatedly, and ad naseum) supra.

I am truly debating as to if you are missing the point intentionally or not. I don't really care if they "support" anything. I want to see what they do. So far, I've been disappointed. If there is no political cost, they are on our side. If there is political cost, they'll trade us for plastic straws.

Talk about non-sequitur, my goodness. You are wrong on Compton and knowing what it means. You are disingenuous to claim I moved the goalposts when you are all over the map on each topic. Also, you are wrong on what "legal" means. Also, you are wrong the Feds aren't arresting for simple possession. ( https://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/...ublications/2016/201609_Simple-Possession.pdf )

4. florduh

florduh Well-Known Member

@OldNewbie I've made my simple points, over and over again. @His_Highness summarized them perfectly. Why aren't you getting it?

Every time your response is to throw irrelevant bullshit at the wall, hoping it sticks.

For example, what does Compton not wanting dispensaries have to do with Republicans not supporting their colleagues' legalization efforts in Congress? Nothing. You are bringing up zoning law discussions. That has nothing to do with Federal Legalization efforts: Non-Sequitur. And you absolutely moved goalposts. I've never argued that Dems are perfect on this issue. Just that they are more likely to support legalization bills in Congress.

I'm not looking at Democrats' statements. I'm looking at the legislation they support. Democrats vote for legalization measures more than Republicans.

5. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

This is Fox News speaking!

5 days ago
    Stop Sessions' anti-pot crusade -- Let states regulate marijuana

By Bob Barr | Fox News
    Justice Department targets recreational marijuana

Attorney General Sessions is taking aim at the industry.

What does marijuana have in common with Schedule I controlled substances like heroin, LSD, and “date-rape” drugs? “Nothing,” the average American would likely reply. I agree. Unfortunately, U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions holds the opposite view and continues to lump pot in with far more dangerous drugs.

It appears that Sessions is using federal law enforcement to further his personal view that all marijuana use is wrong. This is the same mindset behind the prohibition of alcoholic beverages in the U.S. from 1920 to1933. That proved unsustainable, just as the total federal ban on marijuana has been shown to be a failure.

Since President Nixon launched the War on Drugs more than four decades ago, billions of taxpayer dollars have been spent each year fighting the perceived scourge of marijuana, employing the same fundamental strategy decade after decade. And year after year, Americans continue to smoke marijuana in increasing numbers, according to the government’s own figures.

Common sense tells us that not all illegal drugs are alike. Heroin is far more dangerous and addictive than marijuana. LSD is powerful hallucinogen that is far more incapacitating than pot. And anyone using a drug to leave a woman helpless so he can rape her is committing a terrible crime far more serious than smoking a joint.

Moreover, Americans generally are aware that numerous medical studies have established that THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the primary active ingredient in marijuana, possesses significant positive properties for certain maladies, including glaucoma, cancers, seizures and post-traumatic stress disorder. Even many people who oppose recreational marijuana use don’t want to deny the drug to sick people who could benefit from it medically.

Yet Sessions remains an adamant foe of all marijuana use. Full disclosure: I held the same view when I was a U.S. attorney in Georgia from 1986 to 1990 and when I served as a Republican congressman from Georgia from 1995 to 2003. But as more evidence emerged about marijuana in the past 15 years I reevaluated my position. I now believe states should determine how they want to regulate marijuana, without federal interference.

Sessions continues to maintain that marijuana is a “dangerous drug” that the federal government must “combat,” regardless of whether a state’s citizens have voted to legalize it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Wahiker, MinnBobber, Jill NYC and 7 others like this.
  6. Gigsabits53

Gigsabits53 Well-Known Member

I currently live in an illegal state and have recently lost my weed connection. I have not had any since 1/5 of this year. I'm an old timer that does not run in circles of people who smoke pot. Right now, and for the last 2+ months, I have no access to pot. It's more than a bit irritating. I rarely come on this forum anymore because it brings me down. I have really had enough of this ridiculousness! I am being oppressed by my government every single day. Land of the free my ass!

grokit, hibeam, unsorted and 2 others like this.
  7. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

"Government is simply the name we give to the things we do together."

But, as an old timer, haven't you lived through dry times in the past? A truism long ago said by Freewheelin' Franklin was, "Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope." Oh the Shennanigans the Brothers went through when they were dry and tried to score.

Pro tip: Don't front your fat brother the cash. He's an idiot and no matter how careful he is, he ain't coming back with the dope.

Once government gets away from the Constitutional powers and duties, it will tend to infringe on basic human rights. The Man always wants more power. Fight the power! Power to the peoplekind!

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors