Corona Vaping

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
History and denominators.....

Testing: In the US tests are only given to those with the worst symptoms. I've personally seen/heard from a few relatives that tried to get the test that unless they have a fever and respiratory issues they cannot get the test. They are just told to stay home... so we're missing some numbers here. Aside from those who have corona symptoms that aren't severe enough to qualify for a test there are reports of those globally who are asymptomatic. The denominator remains challenged in these areas unless the entire population is tested and likely would require testing again.

Geographically there are differing factors like population demographics (age of the population is especially important in Italy), hospital bed availability per-capita in the more challenged areas, population density and one country's ability to enforce rules on their population that wouldn't be accepted in another. These factors contribute to the survival rate and are hard to quantify.

What I'm trying to point out is that we are "potentially" missing many who have OR HAD the virus but aren't being counted. I don't want to play Pollyanna here but I prefer to think the death rate is possibly over-estimated. Death's are a much easier number to get a grip on but without the complete number for those who have or had the virus we're not getting the straight answer.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
What I'm trying to point out is that we are "potentially" missing many who have OR HAD the virus but aren't being counted. I don't want to play Pollyanna here but I prefer to think the death rate is possibly over-estimated. Death's are a much easier number to get a grip on.

True. Pretty much everywhere tests are still rare, so even having symptoms is not enough to qualify for it. Usually we'll see a relatively high rate of deaths in those countries that have struggled or are still struggling with testing their people (again: most countries), because death cases will be counted anyways.

However, a pretty constant number is the percentage of patients having to be hospitalized. While people dying is the worst case scenario of course, it's not the only bad scenario; people having to get artificial respiration by machines is a problem too, even if they will survive (as long as said machines are available). We shouldn't look at death rates only, they are not the only problem.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
With corona it might be a good idea to differentiate between an expectorant given in a pill or liquid form that in turn causes the expectorant effect VERSUS inhaling something foreign that coats the lungs and in turn causes the expectorant effect.

The oral form may or may not be beneficial but ..... with the inhaled form you'd be coating your lungs, over and over, with the same material found building up in a vape or coating a bag at the same time that your lungs are incapable of working the way they should.

Without corona your lungs have a chance of cleaning up the residual from vaporizing. With corona your short of breath because your lungs aren't functioning properly and may not be able to clear the lungs. Sounds like "insult to injury".
I'm interested in the study, article, etc. that discusses cannabis vapor "coating" the lungs, and about the differentiation between expectorants. Curious to know about the differences, mechanisms of action.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
True. Pretty much everywhere tests are still rare, so even having symptoms is not enough to qualify for it. Usually we'll see a relatively high rate of deaths in those countries that have struggled or are still struggling with testing their people (again: most countries), because death cases will be counted anyways.

However, a pretty constant number is the percentage of patients having to be hospitalized. While people dying is the worst case scenario of course, it's not the only bad scenario; people having to get artificial respiration by machines is a problem too, even if they will survive (as long as said machines are available). We shouldn't look at death rates only, they are not the only problem.

The video I posted, in South Korea, if you pay for a test to get done, and you are positive, the test is free.

As for cannabis being an expectorant, none of us should be coughing and spluttering right now. Temp step. It removes the expectorant quality of what you're vaping.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
The video I posted, in South Korea, if you pay for a test to get done, and you are positive, the test is free.

As for cannabis being an expectorant, none of us should be coughing and spluttering right now. Temp step. It removes the expectorant quality of what you're vaping.
Actually, some of us should. I'm was instructed to cough as much as I can. I was given detailed instructions on how to do it, and I'm doing it. Also taking my expectorant. I don't know about sputtering, but I'm sure it's happening.

His_Highness

I'm interested in the study, article, etc. that discusses cannabis vapor "coating" the lungs, and about the differentiation between expectorants. Curious to know about the differences, mechanisms of action.

Wish I had that for ya. I got nothing other than anecdotal evidence ....

The videos I've seen of those with the severe, unproductive, dry cough of the virus and the visual of vapor bags coated in golden reclaim don't make me comfortable with vaping if there's a chance I've got it.

I for one will vape until there's a symptom that tells me otherwise.

My brother has severe asthma and was told the same thing as you @Madri-Gal .... keep coughing to exercise the lungs and work on lung function with deep breathing exercises.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Actually, some of us should. I'm was instructed to cough as much as I can. I was given detailed instructions on how to do it, and I'm doing it. Also taking my expectorant. I don't know about sputtering, but I'm sure it's happening.

Wow. OK.

Sorry, I clearly didnt have all the info! Thanks for the reply! Interesting to hear.

EDIT: Interesting, Im severely asthmatic and no doctor has ever told me that. But my GP is fucking awful so that doesnt surprise me.

ginolicious

I'm quite proud of my state's efforts after finding outbreaks. We're a police state by most standards but in this case, it is working without resorting to high visibility methods.
Kudos Oregon.

haven’t heard much of you guys on the news. Which is good. I’m yet to figure out how Ontario is handling it. BC is doing well now after being the first people to get it in Canada. Now Quebec is the worst province. Don’t know how I feel about Ontario though. I live in a small town outside a big city. The city only has 51 confirmed.

His_Highness

I'm quite proud of my state's efforts after finding outbreaks. We're a police state by most standards but in this case, it is working without resorting to high visibility methods.
Kudos Oregon.

Happy for you....Unfortunately I live in Florida. We've got two populations here....one is following the guidelines and the other is at the beach and isn't observing the guidelines. I have a suspicion that many of the beach goers aren't from here. Perfectly fine going to the beach as long as you keep your distances but many are "indestructible" and not taking the "Don't kill grandma and grandpa" seriously.

My kids (late 20's and up) were sent home to work a couple weeks ago and the one that's a teacher is on extended spring vacation, working on video classroom preparation in case the school extends the extended break. The development I live in is doing things like "bear hunts" for the kids (they go far a walk and count the number of teddy bears they can find and post on Facebook to see who wins). Family walks observing the 6-10 foot distance rule and bike rides. We did have a situation with kids congregating at the basketball and volleyball courts but that was ended and the community pools have remained closed.

We watch our 1 year old granddaughter during the week but my daughter is seriously considering keeping the granddaughter home and has already taken our 4 year old grandson out of pre-k two weeks ago. They're worried about exposing the two sets of grandparents to the virus.

For the first time ever we had a medical MJ delivery. Free delivery for 65 year olds and up and $15 for us. Two guys, both wearing gloves and masks, came in and maintained a 6 foot distance throughout the transaction. When they left I wiped down all the product containers, door knobs, etc. The wife said seeing me take charge and clean up like that was sexy. I'm getting ready to scrub the floors on my hands and knees and see what happens ;)

Last edited:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Happy for you....Unfortunately I live in Florida. We've got two populations here....one is following the guidelines and the other is at the beach and isn't observing the guidelines. I have a suspicion that many of the beach goers aren't from here. Perfectly fine going to the beach as long as you keep your distances but many are "indestructible" and not taking the "Don't kill grandma and grandpa" seriously.

We've had this here in the first few days, people flocking to scenic locations and tourist spots. And not tourists, but UK residents. Everyone thinks theyre indestructible until things comes knocking at their door. We're now in total lockdown now, police arresting people out for no reason, breaking up parties (!?).

It'll hit home soon enough, but also, not soon enough.

uncanni

I hear a few people on some weed forums talking about being bored and driven nuts by the past two weeks of isolation. I don't get it: what is it they don't understand about covid 19? Here's my perspective:

One day at a time. No catastrophic thinking about the future (other than my usual concerns about global warming and neo-fascist tendencies).
I'm hunkered down for the long haul. I don't expect to be meeting my students face to face when the fall semester starts.
I'm staying informed. I stay away from the anxiety-increasing headlines. I dropped my subscription to the NYTimes after they published an article geared to strike terror into the heart of whomsoever read it. I'm keeping my eye on the even keeled reports in The Atlantic and The Nation, and I glance at the Wash. Post daily.
I'm keeping track of reality. I check the Johns Hopkins data site daily and I have a document where I record the daily case and death numbers in the US.
I'll be wearing a mask when I go out around other people. I found the Korean video that @emmdeemo posted to be extremely helpful: they have been here and done this before. The doctor says to make your own masks with two layers of cotton for when you have to go out. S. Korea has kept its numbers so low, and one of the reasons is they have been knowing for a while now to wear masks when anything's in the air.

I went to a colleague's house the other day to help her with her computer, and I was amazed by how ill-informed she was. She goes out all the time to WalMart etc., and doesn't seem to care about being around crowds of people. I won't go over to her house again.

All this xenophobia against Asians when we could be learning so much from, for example, the Koreans! It certainly doesn't help matters any to see the US whipped up into an irrational frenzy of hatred against Asians. But, like I always say: the more things change, the more they stay the same. We no longer blame black cats, witches or angry gods... but the Asians.... hey, there's a new scapegoat for ya!

His_Highness

I hear a few people on some weed forums talking about being bored and driven nuts by the past two weeks of isolation. I don't get it: what is it they don't understand about covid 19? Here's my perspective:

One day at a time. No catastrophic thinking about the future (other than my usual concerns about global warming and neo-fascist tendencies).
I'm hunkered down for the long haul. I don't expect to be meeting my students face to face when the fall semester starts.
I'm staying informed. I stay away from the anxiety-increasing headlines. I dropped my subscription to the NYTimes after they published an article geared to strike terror into the heart of whomsoever read it. I'm keeping my eye on the even keeled reports in The Atlantic and The Nation, and I glance at the Wash. Post daily.
I'm keeping track of reality. I check the Johns Hopkins data site daily and I have a document where I record the daily case and death numbers in the US.
I'll be wearing a mask when I go out around other people. I found the Korean video that @emmdeemo posted to be extremely helpful: they have been here and done this before. The doctor says to make your own masks with two layers of cotton for when you have to go out. S. Korea has kept its numbers so low, and one of the reasons is they have been knowing for a while now to wear masks when anything's in the air.

I went to a colleague's house the other day to help her with her computer, and I was amazed by how ill-informed she was. She goes out all the time to WalMart etc., and doesn't seem to care about being around crowds of people. I won't go over to her house again.

All this xenophobia against Asians when we could be learning so much from, for example, the Koreans! It certainly doesn't help matters any to see the US whipped up into an irrational frenzy of hatred against Asians. But, like I always say: the more things change, the more they stay the same. We no longer blame black cats, witches or angry gods... but the Asians.... hey, there's a new scapegoat for ya!

Be careful out there....IMO wearing a mask, carrying/using alcohol wipes, hand sanitizer, etc. makes sense. Unfortunately we've been told over and over that the only folks who should be wearing approved masks are front line folks and the infected. Many don't know the difference between approved masks and other types. When people see someone in a mask they ass-u-me they are carriers. There are stories of people getting confrontational when they see someone in a mask, accusing them of being infected and not staying home.

I'm limiting my sources to Dr. Fauci, Dr. Birx, the CDC and WHO. I've been avoiding standard media of any kind. When the president talks I sometimes just turn off the sound until he's done. It's not so much political as it is the conflicting information in the same presentation/briefing.

Planck

believes in Dog
We no longer blame black cats, witches or angry gods... but the Asians

I for one agree with everything you said.

Now we blame bats, snakes and Chinese.
We are such an advanced species. /s

Ignorance and tribalism are without doubt two of the greatest threats to our species survival.

The Milgram experiments on obedience are an eye opening shocker. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment
There are videos of the experiments on youtube as well.

uncanni

We are such an advanced species. /s
Ignorance and tribalism are without doubt two of the greatest threats to our species survival.

Yes, good old Milgram, exposing how much of a tendency most people have towards fascism, blind obedience to whom they perceive as a father/authority figure. We are indeed technologically advanced, but as ignorant, sadistic, greedy and violent as we ever were. I honestly don't see much difference between us and all previous history. We act just like the Hebrews following Moses in the desert: all we do is whine, complain, stir up trouble and fornicate. We are like the Crusaders and all other imperialist powers: committing atrocities and calling it saving souls or democracy. We are like the Inquisition and the Puritans burning witches: we can't bear to examine ourselves, so we project it onto an "enemy."

I still think, after all these years, that Freud hit the nail on the head in Civilisation and Its Discontents: with the irrational brutes in power, we will destroy ourselves.

Then Mother Nature can clean up the planet--which I find a comforting thought...

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I still think, after all these years, that Freud hit the nail on the head in Civilisation and Its Discontents: with the irrational brutes in power, we will destroy ourselves.

Then Mother Nature can clean up the planet--which I find a comforting thought...

Being part of that species myself, I don't feel much comfort from this thought.

Maybe we should strive to do better a bit more before giving up on ourselves and let mother nature clean up things for us. I get your point, though. However, it's not the end of the world (yet).

Siebter,
Reactions: Planck

uncanni

Maybe we should strive to do better a bit more before giving up on ourselves .

So you don't see what's happening to the planet and all the species? I haven't given up on myself, but I've given up on politicians and corporations, lobbyists, big pharma, and everyone who keeps drilling for oil. Indeed, I have given up on those folks. They are in complete denial about what is happening.

I find it quite easy to believe that we will cause our own extinction; far worse viruses than covid 19 are coming. I'm not a doom and gloom person, but I firmly believe in rooting my knowledge in scientific facts. With all due respect, perhaps you should strive to study the climate research a little bit more.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Wow. OK.

Sorry, I clearly didnt have all the info! Thanks for the reply! Interesting to hear.

EDIT: Interesting, Im severely asthmatic and no doctor has ever told me that. But my GP is fucking awful so that doesnt surprise me.
I've got Corona virus. Yes, I have specific instructions from my doctor about all what I am to do. I have asthma and a compromised immune system, so I am listening. Until my lungs are clear, anyway.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I've got Corona virus. Yes, I have specific instructions from my doctor about all what I am to do. I have asthma and a compromised immune system, so I am listening. Until my lungs are clear, anyway.

I see! Holy moly, continued apologies! Classic case of me not reading enough before posting, and thinking I was helping! All ramped up and posting out of turn.

All the best to you and yours.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I find it quite easy to believe that we will cause our own extinction; far worse viruses than covid 19 are coming. I'm not a doom and gloom person, but I firmly believe in rooting my knowledge in scientific facts. With all due respect, perhaps you should strive to study the climate research a little bit more.

I know about climate change since I was a kid. I think you got me wrong here.

Siebter,
Top Bottom