Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
I've got some pretty good weed here, but it seems to have gotten pretty smooshed or something, because a lot of it's loose. Can I pack it together into like a little sphere and then press that and expect a good return, or would I be better off just vaping the green?

Ibn Vapin,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Do you have a lot of material on-hand? Is this just surplus looking for an experiment? I'm new to squishing. I have an all-in-one, 33 lb squisher, and I would squish it, because I find it is so much fun. Use a very small length of PVC or other tube like a large copper sleeve to pack your material into a column. You don't need screens if 2 grams or less.

Last edited:

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
Do you have a lot of material on-hand? Is this just surplus looking for an experiment? I'm new to squishing. I have an all-in-one, 33 lb squisher, and I would squish it, because I find it is so much fun. Use a very small length of PVC or other tube to pack your material in a column. You don't need screens if 2 grams or less.

I bought a quarter, so I'd say I have a decent amount? I should have looked harder yesterday instead of grinding those two fat nugs I did, I'd just have vaped some of the loose/shake instead of doing that, lol. PVC is a good idea, thanks :)

Ibn Vapin,

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
quarter ounce, haha. Wish I did have a quarter pound, I'd crack every coaster in the house trying to press it all :rofl:

Ibn Vapin,
Reactions: macbill

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
Quarter pound, yes, decent amount. Quarter ounce, no, not so much.

At best you could expect 1.4g return. But I wouldn't expect that first time squishin.

Do you think it'd work better to just kinda work it into little spheres then press, or go with the PVC method like someone mentioned earlier?

Ibn Vapin,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
When working with limited pressure, you want that finished puck size to be as small as possible so you maximize PSI. If you arent happy with the yields, you can always grind up the puck and vape it as brick weed.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I am not an expert, but it make sense to have a column of material with small footprint to squish. Another idea is a 3" long - 3/4" Inside Diameter metal tubing to use as a form.

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
When working with limited pressure, you want that finished puck size to be as small as possible so you maximize PSI. If you arent happy with the yields, you can always grind up the puck and vape it as brick weed.

Does the density of the puck make a big difference? Like uh...should I not pack a ton in and make it hard as hell or what?

Ibn Vapin,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Does the density of the puck make a big difference? Like uh...should I not pack a ton in and make it hard as hell or what?

Since you're using a foreman griddle to press with, I would suggest to not cram it in there, you'll do that in the press. You want it pressed together enough to where it holds its form. You'll have to experiemnt with the amounts, 1-1.5g is a good starting spot I'd say? I always thought those pollen presses would work good for a small pre-press, if you have one of those.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
For me, its a perfect machine, but if you got the space at home, you can get way better set-ups for far cheaper. Mine can travel with me (by car). Others, not so much.

@Ibn Vapin All this talk got me pumped: here is a morning squish of 7 month old Obama Kush (4 grams):
uiYdtBT.jpg

Tasty!

Last edited:

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
Will the temperature that I take in my resin at change the effect of the high very much? My Vicod only goes up to 435 at the most.

Ibn Vapin,

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
Will the temperature that I take in my resin at change the effect of the high very much? My Vicod only goes up to 435 at the most.

in a word, yes.

there are a bunch of temperature charts online here that show the boiling point for various cannabinoids (including terpenes), just take them with a grain of salt, 'cause they only represent those temperatures measured in a near vacuum. I personally wouldn't set my vape higher than 430F due to the likely creation of benzene (bad stuff).

arthritisbites

Hey everyone, I tried reading this thread to look for the answers to my questions, but I’m having some trouble locating the information I’m looking for.

I’m a medical patient having to dive into this. At the moment, I’m using kief that I buy separately and mix it into the herb and vape using a volcano or a mighty. While that’s working a bit, I need a faster intake method (especially for when I’m out of the house) and I was interested in trying other concentrates (is kief even considered a concentrate?)

Ideally I would like an inconspicuous delivery method but I’m more concerned about health and functionality. I currently have a mighty, but if I’m going to be using concentrate on the road, I thought I should get one of those concentrate pens and so I just ordered a kandypen prism +. I have no idea if that was the right thing to get or if I even needed it at all, so if anyone would like to throw their two cents at me I would be most appreciative!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Hey everyone, I tried reading this thread to look for the answers to my questions, but I’m having some trouble locating the information I’m looking for.

I’m a medical patient having to dive into this. At the moment, I’m using kief that I buy separately and mix it into the herb and vape using a volcano or a mighty. While that’s working a bit, I need a faster intake method (especially for when I’m out of the house) and I was interested in trying other concentrates (is kief even considered a concentrate?)

Ideally I would like an inconspicuous delivery method but I’m more concerned about health and functionality. I currently have a mighty, but if I’m going to be using concentrate on the road, I thought I should get one of those concentrate pens and so I just ordered a kandypen prism +. I have no idea if that was the right thing to get or if I even needed it at all, so if anyone would like to throw their two cents at me I would be most appreciative!

Check out the Triton thread on here by W9 Tech. It's a new pen design just released from a time tested company with attention to detail on the health and quality of the components.

And yes, kief is a concentrate, but not an extract.

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist

Kief (in the various grades) is fundamentally the trichomes of the plant that are collected as the plant is harvested and trimmed. Those lovely crystals :) This is where most of the fun lives. In the old days it was these sticky puppies, gathered together in the dew, the monks rolling the bud spears between their hands as all the resinous trichomes gathered on the monks skin, they would roll it into tubes and form those into balls, Nepalese temple balls (unbelievable stuff). Some of the greatest hashish of the 1970's. Blond Lebanese, Afghani, so many varieties from so many regions of the world. Some very unique character to the regional stuff.

Personally I'm leery of the generic pen vaporizers, and have found them all to be harsh, and funky in a number of ways (construction and materials not being the least of them). Some of the newer generation vaporizers that have 'cartridges', and if you find one that is refillable, check that out in depth, 'cause the disposable cartridge market is INSANE (and mostly uses the pen cartridges I hate). I now for example that there are 'Stiiizy Pods' and others like that that are variations on the traditional cartridge/heater/atomizer configuration that are (and should be) very superior to the previous generation of cartridges.

I don't use those pens, I use a 510 Box Mod (like an eLeaf Invoke 220) along with a variety of atomizers from
@divinetribe . There is a LENGTHY thread there, and quite an education, it's not as terrible a learning curve as it appears. I typically used a well prepared CO2 oil (but my favorite is still awaiting certification for their new facilities), but I've used Live Resin, Live Rosin, Sauce, and a variety of other forms of concentrate (even isolates).

From what I remember, @invertedisdead is right (as usual), that unit is another one of the newer generation vaporizers.

Good luck refining your search.

Top Bottom