Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

arb

Semi shaved ape
Hey everyone, I tried reading this thread to look for the answers to my questions, but I’m having some trouble locating the information I’m looking for.

I’m a medical patient having to dive into this. At the moment, I’m using kief that I buy separately and mix it into the herb and vape using a volcano or a mighty. While that’s working a bit, I need a faster intake method (especially for when I’m out of the house) and I was interested in trying other concentrates (is kief even considered a concentrate?)

Ideally I would like an inconspicuous delivery method but I’m more concerned about health and functionality. I currently have a mighty, but if I’m going to be using concentrate on the road, I thought I should get one of those concentrate pens and so I just ordered a kandypen prism +. I have no idea if that was the right thing to get or if I even needed it at all, so if anyone would like to throw their two cents at me I would be most appreciative!
Load a dosing capsule in your mighty full but not packed to tight with kief.
Turn all the way up...........same in the volcano and enjoy.

TomBstoned

0511180212_zpsiql43ya6.jpg
Load a dosing capsule in your mighty full but not packed to tight with kief.
Turn all the way up...........same in the volcano and enjoy.
@arthritisbites
Keif is Basicially unpresseed hash. Its the trichomes, or crystals from the bud. Your in a medical state, . Not sure where or what concentrates you have access. The candypen is for solid concentrates like shatter, pull and snap. Not sure what coils it comes with, but some concentrates work easier than others. W9 tech it's the triton os. Os is oil system. Its getting amazing reviews. has a new atomizer out, comes with 5 coils and can handle almost any consistency. Distillate too I think. What would probably suit you best are the little concentrate cartridges. They can be very costly and you never really know what your getting in one.imo do you mind if I ask what state you in? All states medical laws are different. Products too. I/we can advise you how to fill a small eliquid with concentrate. Its better than quality tank compared to the carts that are sold in many dispensaries. And you know what your filling it with. You can purchase a concentrate product from a dispensary for much less and fill the tank yourself. Like the pic up top. Instead of under the text where I wanted it.lol The candy pen is most likely a load as you go atomizer. Load a small piece and vape it. Which is VERY effective! You bought a descent wax pen. Depends on what concentrate you have access too. You came to the right place.:tup:

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
0511180212_zpsiql43ya6.jpg

Keif is Basicially unpresseed hash. Its the trichomes, or crystals from the bud. Your in a medical state, . Not sure where or what concentrates you have access. The candypen is for solid concentrates like shatter, pull and snap. Not sure what coils it comes with, but some concentrates work easier than others. W9 tech it's the triton os. Os is oil system. Its getting amazing reviews. has a new atomizer out, comes with 5 coils and can handle almost any consistency. Distillate too I think. What would probably suit you best are the little concentrate cartridges. They can be very costly and you never really know what your getting in one.imo do you mind if I ask what state you in? All states medical laws are different. Products too. I/we can advise you how to fill a small eliquid with concentrate. Its better than quality tank compared to the carts that are sold in many dispensaries. And you know what your filling it with. You can purchase a concentrate product from a dispensary for much less and fill the tank yourself. Like the pic up top. Instead of under the text where I wanted it.lol The candy pen is most likely a load as you go atomizer. Load a small piece and vape it. Which is VERY effective! You bought a descent wax pen. Depends on what concentrate you have access too. You came to the right place.:tup:
Huh?

TomBstoned

I was replying to the OP about concentrate. Not keif. @arb I was replying to arthritisbites. Its early still for me. Rough night with little sleep. Took me this long to realize who I quoted. Sorry about that. Thank you for bringing it to my very slowly responding attention.

Last edited:

hans solo

Left coast Canada
I love vapin weed but am looking at pre filled concentrate cartridges as another way to enjoy the devils lettuce.
I am a little leary about the product.From what I read pg vg and the like are not all that heathy. I saw the product compared to hotdogs ie snouts and hoves being similar to the concentrates as they are produced with old moldy and substandard weed. I know there are some cartridges that use minimum filler. Anybody have a suggestion on a vape pen and quality cartridges ideally sourceable in Canada?

hans solo,

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
personally, I LOATHE the small pen vapes. too hot, too harsh, and unless carefully selected... too much crap in them. you CAN find CO2 process oil in cartridges, just watch out for all the various additives!

My preference is a 'MOD BOX' (battery and controller electronics) about the size of a large pack of gum (fits in your palm), combined with a variety of atomizers (I use Divine Tribe exclusively), you can even set a tank up on one and pull on it like a freight train :)

Mozy

Solo II, Flipbrick, Elev8r
Hi, I'm looking into solventless concentrates for a few weeks now. At first I wanted to get a Slug.33 and a good vice but I don't like the whole torch idea. Now looking into the Ju1cebox. Most obvious downside is that it doesn't regulate temprature. But it does seem like a very easy to use product.

Prepare bud for pressing, clamp hard, watch it flow.

Now big upside is that the Ju1cebox isn't that expensive (125 with shipping), slug.33 + vice is also a good 80 euros for me, hair straightner and 600lbs irwin clamp is also into the good 60 euros (this is my #2 option atm.)

Big downside is the american plug and the 120v (they say 120v on the website, don't they mean 110v?)
How much watt should my 230v > 110v stepdown transformer be?

Last edited:
Mozy,

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Up to this point, the only conc I had access to was pure distillate with very little flavor. It got a little boring until I decided to branch out. I tried a new place and this time it was a full concentrate haul. Suddenly it was like being in the Willie Wonka movie and I took full advantage of the opportunity. I ended up buying some shit that will put hair on your chest.

Now I did buy a few grams of shatter and they have been fun to try as long as I keep the dabs to less than a grain of rice in size.

The issue is this terp sauce stuff. There is a HTFSE one and a HCFSE one also. I believe the T is for extra terpenes and that one is like a jammy consistancy. It does have nice flavor but it comes with a pretty full high which does couch lock me. However, the serious mother fucker is the C one. It looks like little fish egg caviar in some sauce and it beats the shit out of you. I understand that the little "pellets" are almost pure THC and me hitting a dab with 5-6 little pellets on it, which is a very small amount, all but puts me over my limit. In hindsight, had I known these sauces were so potent, I would have passed until more experienced, but it was the kid in the candy store thing.

I have a older 1/2 g of some CO2 oil which sat for over a year and lost some of its potency but stills gets you high. I was wondering if it would be a problem for me to take a scoop of each sauce and mix it with the older oil to make a more moderate concentrate to dab? I'm also thinking of mixing the two sauces together to get a more moderate sauce with the flavor added.

Thanks for any insight :) I am mostly vape flower but wanted to expand my horizons.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Is anyone adding terpenes back into their pure THC distillate, and if so, what brand of terpenes are you using? I just started doing this and made my first cartridge yesterday. Added some Fogg Durban Poison terpenes to my Dogwalker TruClear THC distillate. I can really tell a big difference!

Vicki,

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
yes, another “look, I made it through the thread!” comment....

My experience with concentrates has been mixed; numerous QWET batches, most of which has gone in to ejuice. Did two BHO runs: the first, I used the glass off a great bug dropper, maybe 6-8” long and .25” in diameter...stuffed some rolled-up screen down to the bottom, turned on the bathroom fan, and blasted into a mason jar. Worked great, got gobs of clear golden stickiness - but I didn’t know about dabs then, had no way of doing it direct, so I winterized, decarbed, and tossed it, too, into the juice. Wish I still had it, been out since June.

Yes, I know now not to blast indoors, will probably never do it again, in or out. I see a 3.5g Slug in my near future, so will be picking up an actual dab rig soon.

Have loved the trip they the thread, thanks SO MUCH to all the folks who have contributed their questions, answers, and experiences!

I’ve offered my 50 cents on a thing or two below.

I've only heard of people decarbing concentrates if they want to make them into an edible. Apparently waxes, oils, shatters etc will bubble up as the co2 gets released during decarboxylation, so you can tell when it's finished when it stops bubbling so much. https://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/
Based on my trials and my reading of SkunkPharm, alcohol begins to boil @160f. Alcohol bubbles are BIG bubbles, when those are gone, you get the water boiling, also semi-large. Decarb bubbles are tiny, and start showing up around 225. Grey Wolf posted a chart that shows that 235 @ 40 min is required for reasonable conversion of THCa.

Hopefully, this fact will be useful to those who think that five or ten minutes is enough to decarb...

The next question deserves is own thread. To freeze or refrigerate, or just keep sealed and dark?

I've always avoided the freezer for flower and concentrates as i did not want to add moisture and condensation to my material, but all bud tenders were recommending the fridge...
Given that solid concentrates are pretty much water repellant, the concern may be overblown; still, if you use sy mason jars, and you add a desiccant pack, AND you don’t open the jar until it reaches room temperature (you’ll know because the jar will stop sweating), you should be golden...

Since it decrabbed for 2-6 minutes in oven, i hope that i can eat that wax\oil...
Sure you can. You won’t get high, see comment above

I am not an expert, but it make sense to have a column of material with small footprint to squish. Another idea is a 3" long - 3/4" Inside Diameter metal tubing to use as a form.
...and now we’re talking about the Slug.33 again.

ClearBlueLou,

MyCollie

Just a noob question about distillate cartridges.

Are they really odorless? Maybe the one I bought had terps reintroduced? Also, I thought the contents should be clear. I ran a google image search and some of the photos in the search result featured cartridge contents that were yellowish - definitely much lighter than the brownish oil in a regular oil cartridge but still not entirely clear.

MyCollie,

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
a bit of good news,

I heard back from PopNaturals, they think they'll be back on the shelves by the end of the year (still waiting for their new manufacturing facility to be certified).

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
I rosin press, then dissolve into shatterbatter, load into a prince cobra tank with smoant cylon mod, works awesome, no "odor" other than the flavor of the shatterbatter for discreteness in my non-friendly state.

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
yes, another “look, I made it through the thread!” comment....

My experience with concentrates has been mixed; numerous QWET batches, most of which has gone in to ejuice. Did two BHO runs: the first, I used the glass off a great bug dropper, maybe 6-8” long and .25” in diameter...stuffed some rolled-up screen down to the bottom, turned on the bathroom fan, and blasted into a mason jar. Worked great, got gobs of clear golden stickiness - but I didn’t know about dabs then, had no way of doing it direct, so I winterized, decarbed, and tossed it, too, into the juice. Wish I still had it, been out since June.

Yes, I know now not to blast indoors, will probably never do it again, in or out. I see a 3.5g Slug in my near future, so will be picking up an actual dab rig soon.
Holy fuck I can't believe you are so fucking stupid that you open blasted explosive butane indoors in a bathroom and then came on the internet to talk about it. In 2018. What the fuck is going on here? What the hell has happened to FC? Why is any of this okay?

I know people who have died and people who have been incredibly badly burned doing extremely, extremely stupid things, which you are bragging about repeating, probably the most damaging thing you could possibly due to tarnish the reputation of the cannabis industry. Do you have ANY idea what is VERY LIKELY TO HAPPEN when you OPEN BLAST BUTANE INDOORS?????

SamuraiSam,

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
I see your desire to hammer me outweighs your reading of my comment: this was years ago, before SkunkPharm and IC eliminated all threads about running butane. Sorry I wasn’t “so fucking stupid” enough to keep doing it, or “so fucking stupid” not to get the safety warnings , or “so fucking stupid” that I blew my ass up, or “so fucking stupid” as to set myself up as a ‘serious internet authority’.

Since you didn’t seem to actually READ what I wrote, let me help you process the text: I was not BRAGGING, I was telling the truth...about things I had done in the process of learning about. I didn’t recommend it, argue in favor of it, or advise anyone to try it. In fact, the LAST paragraph says it *EXPLICITLY*:

“Yes, I know NOW not to blast indoors, I will probably never do it again (ie, ‘use butane to gather concentrate’), IN OR OUT.” (Emphasis supplied for the reading-impaired)

I have a 3.5g Slug setup now, not having run butane since, except to fill my torch. Not interested in blasting butane at all...which you would know, had you bothered to read it before launching a completely unjustifiable personal attack against me and the ‘deterioration of this forum’.

I will continue to respect you for what you know and what you share of that knowledge, but as far as I can see, you’re otherwise an entitled asshole. Based entirely on your need to rage at me.

Gazaam

@ClearBlueLou

I agree with you that his comments are insulting and way over the top. Guess he has a bit of an anger management issue, huh? Nevertheless his point is well-taken. Blasting in a small room with an electric exhaust fan is a recipe for disaster and hopefully his vehement remarks will keep somebody else from doing the same thing. As a chemist, I would say to you that you don't know how close you came to death or serious injury. Electric fans generate small electric sparks, and just one of those would have been enough to ignite the butane in the fan creating a back-flash right into the tube which would have exploded.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
Not to mention static electricity can occur from fan blade movement through dust/particles. Unless you were in a clean room, static is a possibility. (Or if it is very humid in the room, you'd be safe from static). Not trying to bash you, just want good safety information out there. Very happy you highlighted where you said you probably wouldn't do it anymore (I'd feel even better if you removed the probably). No matter what though, constructive criticism is a good thing, but not insults. Be tactful people...and respectful. I don't come here too much and I don't claim to know everything about this, but I do know quite a bit about it. Butane scared me so much, I started with the ISO method and that even sketched me out; hallelujah for rosin! lol...keep it civil peeps.

Tranquility

The US patent granted to GW Pharmaceuticals for the production of Dronabinol (prescription THC extract from cannabis) specifies freezing the alcohol solution for 48 hours.
Dronabinol is also known as Marinol and is completely synthetic and there is no freezing involved. GW Pharmaceuticals has the founder's doctoral study on getting replicable doses of cannibinoids on their website and that includes freezing as part of the process of making the concentrate in a medical manner.

GW's patent(s) are on Epidiolex and delivery systems and includes the freezing process.

Gazaam

GW probably has more than one patent. The one to which I was referring above is US 7,344,736. Here is the abstract:

The invention relates to the extraction of pharmaceutically
active components from plant materials, and more particularly
to the preparation of a botanical drug substance (BDS)
for incorporation in to a medicament. It also relates to a BDS
of given purity, for use in pharmaceutical formulations. In
particular it relates to BDS comprising cannabinoids
obtained by extraction from cannabis.

For a description of their winterization process, see col 4 line 56 through col 5 line 27.

If they have a patent on the ab initio direct synthesis of THC, can you lease provide the patent number so I can study it? THX

Last edited:
Gazaam,

Gazaam

@SamuraiSam

Since you are an expert on extraction, perhaps you can answer this question: does the rosin produced by hot-pressing cured bud contain unwanted waxes, lipids and other substances that one would normally want to remove through winterization? I am guessing that most of these unwanteds have melting points well within the temperature range used in hot-pressing.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Yes rosin contains epicuticular plant waxes but rosin is rarely produced commercially with flower. Flower is generally hashed first which reduces the amount of leaf material waxes.

Winterization is generally done for distillation for vape carts, edibles, and such.

Various types of dewaxing is more commonly used for hydrocarbon extractions meant for dabbing.

Tranquility

GW probably has more than one patent. The one to which I was referring above is US 7,344,736. Here is the abstract:

The invention relates to the extraction of pharmaceutically
active components from plant materials, and more particularly
to the preparation of a botanical drug substance (BDS)
for incorporation in to a medicament. It also relates to a BDS
of given purity, for use in pharmaceutical formulations. In
particular it relates to BDS comprising cannabinoids
obtained by extraction from cannabis.

For a description of their winterization process, see col 4 line 56 through col 5 line 27.

If they have a patent on the ab initio direct synthesis of THC, can you lease provide the patent number so I can study it? THX

Synthesis =/= extraction.

GW's main "invention" is the creation of repeatable cannibinoid doses. Even from different plants. Even from different years. That's why the process is so exacting. It has nothing to do with synthetic cannibinoids or dronabinol/Marinol.

See also (Link not working right now, don't know why):
https://www.gwpharm.com/healthcare-professionals/research/scientific-publications
The propagation, characterisation and optimisation of Cannabis Sativa L as a phytopharmaceutical
PhD thesis, Dr David Potter

Tranquility,

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
@SamuraiSam

Since you are an expert on extraction, perhaps you can answer this question: does the rosin produced by hot-pressing cured bud contain unwanted waxes, lipids and other substances that one would normally want to remove through winterization? I am guessing that most of these unwanteds have melting points well within the temperature range used in hot-pressing.

Yes rosin contains epicuticular plant waxes but rosin is rarely produced commercially with flower. Flower is generally hashed first which reduces the amount of leaf material waxes.

Winterization is generally done for distillation for vape carts, edibles, and such.

Various types of dewaxing is more commonly used for hydrocarbon extractions meant for dabbing.

You guys are both correct in most ways. Yes rosin contains all of those non cannabinoid, non terpene components, the majority of which are not extracted during a cold temperature solvent extraction. Flower rosin has more of them than hash rosin since we're not pressing and heating plant material for the latter, but the oil containing trichomes are encased in a waxy membrane which melts at rosin temps. There's still fats and waxes in water hash rosin for sure. I'm not too familiar with any sort of solventless dewaxing or winterization techniques that could be applied to solvent. I only know how to use solvent and cold temperatures to separate.

I see a LOT of flower rosin out there, still. There's a lot of commercially sold flower rosin in 502. It generally sucks. It'll be a nice day when bubble hash rosin and dry sifted rosin (not kief and trim rosin) are the norm, and not bubble, but I don't think we're there yet. At least not based off Washingotn recreational store shelves and what I see people pressing with their presses on Instagram.

SamuraiSam,
Top Bottom