Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

Bouldorado

@Bouldorado is this what your using to extract?

http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

if so I gotta grab one... makes the french press look like a cave tool.

Yeah that's what I have. Bought it for coffee at first but then I realized "hey I can use this thing to make hash!" :science:

Combine it with an electric kettle and it's the fastest way I've found to make coffee- only needs ~30 secs of brew time.

Bouldorado,
Reactions: 215z

ollent

Just another update on the Chief Cottonmouth thing:

("Our USPS has been down, we are sorry for the delay, we will be shipping your package out as soon as USPS is back up. We will send out an email with your tracking number as soon as your package ships. Thank you again for your order!")

Put in an order for a domeless castle on Monday, finally got any sort of response today. Not really sure how the whole damn USPS goes down. Maybe it's time to drive to the post office?

ollent,

herbivore21

Here's my first QWET results. 1.5g of kief, made into shatter. All I did was QWET wash (between 60-80ml roughly of 95% ethanol) for 15-20 mins (or stop as soon as you see colour of solution turning vivid green or too dark) and evap on a double boiler in a pyrex dish.

33mx10w.jpg

Didn't weigh final product, got too excited to vape it. Over the moon with the results!

goatgobaahh

I came to this section of the forums looking for an education, but saw no "Sticky" nor basic guides for new users. Let this be a place to ask and answer questions.

I am a seasoned smoker turned vape'er, and to this point have always been a flower person. The whole oil rig, dome, nail, and torch can kinda be a bit intimidating for the lifelong flower person, and it became clear my LHS does not have the experience to provide me with any sort of education.

Recently I gained access to oils and I need some education on oils/concentrates; I need guidance. If any other noobs have some basic concentrate/oil questions, feel free to ask in here as well:

- What should I be looking for in BHO oil?
- What range of colors is desired?

A friend dropped off some BHO oil and it is pretty dark brownish green- nearly black in the thicker areas.
When stretched and spread thin, it appears a lighter, amberish in color.

-What are typical gram prices for BHO oil? (I am not in a position to make this myself)

I have two choices for delivery. I have a pen with a nail in a dome- looks like a hopped up e-cig. Or, I can buy a nail and dome for my new SB bubbler and filter through water. What do you all recommend?

So far I have only used the pen and it is quite affective. I look forward to everyone's input and guidance.

I can't even begin to tell you how long I've waited for this thread!!! I've always checked back and I was about to post a question on Instagram.

I knew FC had no thread after checking multiple times as a guest and as a member but I figured why not give it a shot?

Nice!! :tup:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Awesome Goat, welcome! Feel free to post up any questions you might have- I am a beginner, but there is tons of good advice from other members.

Just another update on the Chief Cottonmouth thing:

("Our USPS has been down, we are sorry for the delay, we will be shipping your package out as soon as USPS is back up. We will send out an email with your tracking number as soon as your package ships. Thank you again for your order!")

Put in an order for a domeless castle on Monday, finally got any sort of response today. Not really sure how the whole damn USPS goes down. Maybe it's time to drive to the post office?

reposted from "going domeless thread":

Personally, I was pissed to have been up-charged to pay for expedited shipping, only for Chief to wait one week to ship the order that was in stock- What the fuck did I pay for 2 day shipping for??

Bullshit their USPS went down- are you kidding me? Does Chief think anyone is going to believe this garbage? I am in my 30's and in my lifetime, I have never heard "USPS went down." Do they think customers are fucking idiots???? Their INTENTIONAL LYING really aggravates me far more than the terrible service.

They just dropped the ball and are blaming someone else. I do not believe that bullshit for a second... They don't even take responsibility for their own orders or business= Not a good nor reputable company.

Too many good vendors sell the same goods to shop at shit companies like this.

I will not be ordering from them again, and will be encouraging others to look elsewhere as well.

2clicker

Observer
Here's my first QWET results. 1.5g of kief, made into shatter. All I did was QWET wash (between 60-80ml roughly of 95% ethanol) for 15-20 mins (or stop as soon as you see colour of solution turning vivid green or too dark) and evap on a double boiler in a pyrex dish.

33mx10w.jpg

Didn't weigh final product, got too excited to vape it. Over the moon with the results!

nice work!

Polyrhythm

On the subject of tolerance. I started using concentrates a little bit, and to my surprise it didn't seem like my tolerance was affected as much as I imagined when going back to flowers. I am not dabbing, but using my Herbalizer, so that may have something to do with it. It seems like a lot of people on this forum use both. Some of the things I heard before I tried concentrates- "once you try wax, you wont care about flowers any longer", that doesnt seem to be true, but then again, I am not dabbing.:)
Anyone care to share their experience? :shrug:

horst

horsed
What's your setup? How much ABV did you use and what color and consistency had it? Winterized everything or just froze the Ethanol and ABV? What filters did you use? Did a second run with the ABV leftover? So many questions :D

Excited to hear about the taste and effects of the endproduct.Any plans of how you want to consume it?

I am gathering ABV at the moment to try the same. But only got 3g right now, want to wait till I got 5g. Then I plan to vaporize it @paytonpenn style with the hammer and glas.

horst,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I read somewhere in this thread that you needn't to clean your nail, I disagree, I never clean my nail since many months and it started to taste really bad, I understand why cause I take off a residue skin really thick (I never winterize my oil except if it's a bad one or if I made a mistake) and since I cleaned my nail dabs are smoothier.
Since I do low temp dabs (and carb cap) I wasn't able to got a really big cloud (low temps=small dab) but hits are really tasty and potent and I don't cough anymore (high temp dabs kills my lungs).

I discover the Hammer could be use as a nail, very good but I need more testing....

my problem with the nano is to load it, the gong must to be cold cause your oil could stick on the wall and the better is to use hard shatter and drop a little ball in the gong with several screens.

I never vape my bho with flower (it's a taste waste for me!) but sometime I put 1 or 2 drops of reclaim on the top screen.

I must to read more in this thread, lot of knowledges, thanks

PPN,
I basically did this. Took approx 7 grams avb, put in mason jar and put it in the freezer as well as my Ethyl Alcohol 95%. The avb was from a variety of strains and went mostly though my E-Nano at about 7.2 A little bit through the Vapormax V and Infinity as well. About 3 hours later I added the alchohol into the mason jar. Agitated a little and into the freezer for 1 minute, repeat and repeat. A filtered it out through a tea strainer and into a coffee filter and into another mason jar. Poured what was left on to a pyrex dish and have been evaporating. It looks very clean. Nice greenish/goldish colour. I can't see any plant material left at all.

Until recently I was just trashing my avb. So I didn't keep the material for a second run. Next time I may try using flowers and then I will do multiple runs for sure :) I will get back with the resuts :brow:

Last edited:

horst

horsed
Great info, thanks! I plan to do it the same way, tea strainer and coffee filter. Did you pressed it through any of this or did you just let gravity do the work? Do you remember how long it took to make it through the filters?

horst,
Well I knew I was only going to do one run so I did press it though the strainer a little. Just kind of ran my fingers through it, seperated it and did some tapping. It only took about 5 minutes for it to all filter through. I will post some pics if I end up with something worth showing :)

herbivore21

On the subject of tolerance. I started using concentrates a little bit, and to my surprise it didn't seem like my tolerance was affected as much as I imagined when going back to flowers. I am not dabbing, but using my Herbalizer, so that may have something to do with it. It seems like a lot of people on this forum use both. Some of the things I heard before I tried concentrates- "once you try wax, you wont care about flowers any longer", that doesnt seem to be true, but then again, I am not dabbing.:)
Anyone care to share their experience? :shrug:
It will surely depend on many variables as to whether a specific concentrate will be good to you. However, good concentrates IME provide a really uplifting sensation that I can't seem to get from flowers! :) Shatter feels very tactile too, makes me feel warm and tingly, my face feels like it is rising, kind of like the first time I smoked DMT!

Mr. Gweilo, look forward to seeing your results! I have not tried AVB with QWET runs yet because the ethanol is so expensive here ($60 for 500ml).

I regularly produce great tasting QWISO oils with AVB though, I am hoping you can show me some evidence of even better results with QWET :)

PPN

Volute of Vapor

I regularly produce great tasting QWISO oils with AVB though, I am hoping you can show me some evidence of even better results with QWET :)

Really, I already tried qwet extraction, and if the final product is a little bit potent it taste like ass (as qwiso oil abv...) it's not possible to get a tasty product from abv, I already tried abv butane extraction, you get a really tiny amount of oil from a 25g packed tube (0.1-0.3) and it tastes like ass too.

I heard to mix Oil with PG/VG and vape it as a regular e-liquid is not as potent the oil used alone, some people told me it's a waste.... what are you thinking about?

Last edited:

farscaper

:lmao:

any concentrate made from abv is going to be gross revaped. there is zero way to correct this "flavor" cause you already vaped it. concentration was designed for making hash... a good analogy is quality in quality out.... that is to say if you put swet sticky buds in you get sweet stick concentrated back out. if you concentrate abv you get concentrated abv back out...

if your going to actually bother with extracting abv do not expect to get the stuff guys brag about in the dab stash thread. your going to end up with decarbed oil that will likely never shatter or wax or taste good..

BUT it would be ok for medibles use.

but never expect to dab abv oil without gagging.

Enchantre

Oil Painter
:lmao:

any concentrate made from abv is going to be gross revaped. there is zero way to correct this "flavor" cause you already vaped it. concentration was designed for making hash... a good analogy is quality in quality out.... that is to say if you put swet sticky buds in you get sweet stick concentrated back out. if you concentrate abv you get concentrated abv back out...

if your going to actually bother with extracting abv do not expect to get the stuff guys brag about in the dab stash thread. your going to end up with decarbed oil that will likely never shatter or wax or taste good..

BUT it would be ok for medibles use.

but never expect to dab abv oil without gagging.
Really? Mine doesn't make me gag.
This is a situation where You get out what you put in, and YMMV.

If you don't want to try it, that's perfectly fine.

I'm considering adding ABV to my currently evaporating ISO reclaim jar - quickish rinse & filter, of course.
I normally cook my ABV into coconut oil for body rub, but I have done ISO ABV reclaim before, and it had a helluva kick to it. I'm reclaiming wand & grinder, and gong vapor trails, so I would think that the ABV would just increase that kick.

farscaper

Really? Mine doesn't make me gag.
This is a situation where You get out what you put in, and YMMV.

If you don't want to try it, that's perfectly fine.

I'm considering adding ABV to my currently evaporating ISO reclaim jar - quickish rinse & filter, of course.
I normally cook my ABV into coconut oil for body rub, but I have done ISO ABV reclaim before, and it had a helluva kick to it. I'm reclaiming wand & grinder, and gong vapor trails, so I would think that the ABV would just increase that kick.
I only reference "taste" not effect. I agree even dark abv "may" have actives left. and these have medicinal value. but I wouldn't ever concider them tasty. I.e. I would not vape them.

I noted that I would use them as I have in medibles. although topical use is one I hadnt thought of.

but you can dab it all you want and most peoples abv oil is gonna taste... not like bho or qwiso or qwet made from buds that are fresh cured or well cured. which I conclude that my opinion is that taste... is gross.

edit: but abv coconut oil can be very tasty.... but you can't dab that to my knowledge.

Bouldorado

I only reference "taste" not effect. I agree even dark abv "may" have actives left. and these have medicinal value. but I wouldn't ever concider them tasty. I.e. I would not vape them.

I noted that I would use them as I have in medibles. although topical use is one I hadnt thought of.

but you can dab it all you want and most peoples abv oil is gonna taste... not like bho or qwiso or qwet made from buds that are fresh cured or well cured. which I conclude that my opinion is that taste... is gross.

edit: but abv coconut oil can be very tasty.... but you can't dab that to my knowledge.

I definitely agree with this. I think I've taken a max of 2 abv dabs in my life and I will never take another one. Effect is decent (like a strong indica, but more tiring) but the taste is just horrible.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
So after reading some other's techniques with concentrates, I have started to loose the dabber tool and just drop onto the castle quartz...

I think I prefer this way the best, no sticky tool to deal with too:)

I might need to make smaller balls, there is more residue left at the bottom of the castle from dropping, than when I use a dabber tool. Correct me if I am wrong, but does this mean the quartz is cooling before the ball is vaporized? Or is it simply residue?

farscaper

So after reading some other's techniques with concentrates, I have started to loose the dabber tool and just drop onto the castle quartz...

I might need to make smaller balls, there is more residue left at the bottom of the castle from dropping, than when I use a dabber tool. Correct me if I am wrong, but does this mean the quartz is cooling before the ball is vaporized? Or is it simply residue?
it depends on your residue. if its a dryish black ring then that is residue... but ive had a couple where it got stuck to my finger while I was pulling on the piece already and it cooled a little too much. practice makes perfect and what better thing to practice than bhombing.

sizes of bhombs may vary. I get them as small as I can handle... you will find that the smaller the ball the less time to handle it there is...

so if your going baby bhombing be quick cause it can get messy fast than a big bhomb will.

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker

What kind of residue? Is it sticky? Or crusty/ashy? If it is crusty/ashy it is from vegetable matter/ wax in the oil. If not it is from nail cooling. If it is the nail cooling, you may want to try a carb cap. You can re-heat the nail gently with the cap on and continue to hit. The cap contains the vapor while you are not hitting.
Heat Nail, Drop BHOmb, cap on, hit at leisure. Probably when you get the nail temp just right you can get more than one hit per BHOmb.
Thread on low temp carb cap method. Another :worms: To play with.
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/he-carb-cap-method.12311/
I bought a HE DualTi nail and Carb Cap/dabber from @Mynameismud :tup: to play with this method. The cap works on a variety of nails.

Top Bottom