Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Arrived today, and appears nice:)

I did no real seasoning... and kinda just went for it. Highly effective on just a little itty bit.
For the heck of it, I did another that was the size of a small nerd candy, and think I am good till bedtime:D

So what does this mean:
when dropping the nerd, I noted a sizzle/boil before it vaped to smoke. Is that the right temp?
There is some black residue left at the bottom of the bowl- whats that mean?

FlyingLow,
Reactions: farscaper

farscaper

Arrived today, and appears nice:)

I did no real seasoning... and kinda just went for it. Highly effective on just a little itty bit.
For the heck of it, I did another that was the size of a small nerd candy, and think I am good till bedtime:D

So what does this mean:
when dropping the nerd, I noted a sizzle/boil before it vaped to smoke. Is that the right temp?
There is some black residue left at the bottom of the bowl- whats that mean?
The residue is from leftover plant waxes. If you have a little black spot that means it vaped fine, but you concentrate has a lil wax in it. No biggie. As long as the oil doesnt cherry [like smoking] your vaping. Boiling is just that. The essential oils are boiling off on the hot surface of the nail.

Sounds like you had a positive experience. :tup:

farscaper,
Reactions: FlyingLow

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Thank you! So if I understand you correctly, if I do see a cherry that is a sign I am too hot.
Also, do most of you have dedicated oil and flower rigs, or do most of you just swap from bowl to nail?

I was concerned the black residue that was left meant I did not vape it all.

FlyingLow,

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
Thank you! So if I understand you correctly, if I do see a cherry that is a sign I am too hot.
Also, do most of you have dedicated oil and flower rigs, or do most of you just swap from bowl to nail?

Most around here don't use a bowl at all. Although I'm sure there are many. I do not combust at all anymore with my glass. My only combustion is wrapped in a zig-zag, in social situations. The only bowl I use anymore is a spoon with sentimental value to me, and I use it only with hash occasionally.

Stiggy

There will pretty much always be a ring of residue left over after the dab. I don't know what exactly it is. Even well winterized errl will leave a slight residue so farscaper is probably right, residual waxes.

I use a dedicated rig. Because, when its all gunked up, to clean it I just stick it in the oven around 200 degrees until all the oil melts and pools in the piece. Then with gloved hands pour the oil out of the piece to reclaim it. If the piece wasn't dedicated to errl there would be a bunch of burnt up plant matter junk in there as well.

farscaper

Yea if it cherries the dab combusted... or at least the wax matter did ... you will know it when you taste it. I like a hotter hit because it absorbs faster in my lungs and causes less coughing when I aspirate. It does degrade a bit of taste... but once you reach to overheat point there is a very distinct "combusted oil flavor" that one cannot mistake.

Can you tell i push any limit I can?

As for rigs... I like to keep my oil rigs separate from flower rigs.... rather.... I dont use flowers in my dedicated oil pieces and I clean my flower pieces cause evrn vaping buildup stinks. I do not notice oil rigs "stinking" they just look dirty (used).

Its preference though. When I only had 1 glass piece I used it for everything. Now I have a collection.... and choice!

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I might have miscommunicated. I do not combust either, and refer "bowls" but mean my vapor bowls (WPA adapter for Lotus, Hammer to 14mm adapter, etc)
I started with one glass piece to rule them all... and, I can swap back & forth as I wish, but I have different glass for different locations, as I use different methods in different places. I use the EVO in the kitchen, so that's just flowers. I have a tiny oil rig for indoor dabs, which I rarely use - my balcony dabbing is on its own glass (my former Nano bubbler), and the Nano is in the bedroom, with a J-hook. I have different adapters for the Nano (Gongs), so I can switch from flower to oil vaping (vaporizer dabs?) as I wish.

TL : DR - I have wandered my way to separate rigs for flowers v concentrates.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I have two bubblers, one sheldon black and one heady. I cannot decide which to dedicate for which use.
Viewing angle on the SB is far easier, which IMO is a plus for both uses.

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma
I have two bubblers, one sheldon black and one heady. I cannot decide which to dedicate for which use.
Use the one of the two with the smallest internal air volume, for example, in my experience smaller glass bubbler types hit much better then larger traditional beaker types.

farscaper

use them both! lol and pick which one you enjoy oil out of more. no two tastes are the same. you will find that the glass will tell you which to prefer....

does that even make sense, or am I oiled?

farscaper,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I am oiled.

I, too, prefer the slightly smaller volume of my little oil rig. with lower temp dabbing, the flavor is so good, the less filtration the better (hence the Nano dabs with the J-hook!)

Enchantre,
Reactions: Caligula

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
:D Is there a general thread for concentrate attachments ? I saw these in a local headshop anyone ever used one ? Looks funny but also might be able to use it with a normal candle lighter :)
Dome.jpg

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Your comments/questions/suggestions are welcome in here.
Anything goes with regards to concentrates & oils:D

Perhaps someone with more experience than I can help provide you an answer.
I think it looks cool, but I have only used one!

I am using the Quartz Castle suggested to me by another FC member, and it is awesome!

farscaper

:D Is there a general thread for concentrate attachments ? I saw these in a local headshop anyone ever used one ? Looks funny but also might be able to use it with a normal candle lighter :)
Dome.jpg
looks like a quartz bird nest.... but who knows what kinda glass its made of...

farscaper,

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
Dome.jpg
I don't know about function, however the price is right. How much were they asking at your LHS?
$11.99 here. http://www.ioffer.com/i/14mm-domeless-glass-nail-for-oil-rig-glass-bubbler-bong-569875019

Looks like the Knock Off Quave Club Banger Domeless nail have arrived on the scene for a more reasonable price. $25.99
http://www.ioffer.com/i/14mm-male-joint-domeless-quartz-nail-cup-569102963
X3TFThh.jpg

Last edited:
DieHard,
Reactions: grokit

farscaper

I don't know about function, however the price is right. How much were they asking at your LHS?
$11.99 here. http://www.ioffer.com/i/14mm-domeless-glass-nail-for-oil-rig-glass-bubbler-bong-569875019

Looks like the Knock Off Quave Club Banger Domeless nail have arrived on the scene for a more reasonable price. $25.99
http://www.ioffer.com/i/14mm-male-joint-domeless-quartz-nail-cup-569102963
X3TFThh.jpg
lol the quave site just went up and they are stillcharging like 160 fuck that.

farscaper

better than a mothership quartz bucket which costs $100 more to do basically the same thing
fuck! those went up in price! I remember seeing them for under 150 last year. this is why I went with a universal castle quartz nail.... IMO the only tool to surpass it is a quartz enail... but im happy using a torch at the moment.

speaking of which... anyone have an idea of how to breathe new life into a vector nitro? ive got shitty pressure so its like a strong bic lol. idk if I can even fix it but if someone has taken one apart im interested.

Bouldorado

Has anyone encountered an orange wax like substance in their filter before? I did a thermos run earlier tonight and found something interesting left behind. I used a dry ice bath, which kept the butane around -55F and did a 90 minute soak. It was filtered with an aeropress coffee maker. Curious about the top layer since I've never seen anything similar in past runs. :shrug:

ErkexU1.jpg

Bouldorado,

farscaper

Has anyone encountered an orange wax like substance in their filter before? I did a thermos run earlier tonight and found something interesting left behind. I used a dry ice bath, which kept the butane around -55F and did a 90 minute soak. It was filtered with an aeropress coffee maker. Curious about the top layer since I've never seen anything similar in past runs. :shrug:

ErkexU1.jpg
its the trichome hulls. you solvent extracted the goods and thats all the waxy trichomes mushed together. I think either they may have a bit more to give or you have found a very efficient mechinical filter.

Bouldorado

I used three coffee filters in the aeropress. One was prob enough since the 2nd and 3rd ones were clean.

I just did a ethanol wash on the leftovers and got nothing good back, so I think the initial wash was pretty effective.

From 10g I got 1.3g back. 13% is less than what I was expecting but I think the starting material wasn't as good as I thought. Final product came out well though:

lwF3n2n.jpg

herbivore21

I am about to do my maiden QWET run with some super high grade Gringo nugs (absolutely no trim/leaves).

Everybody, please provide any input/pointers you can for doing QWET.

I have pretty much mastered good QWISO runs using AVB, but have never used fresh material/ethanol.

Are there any differences I should be aware of in good technique? I believe the wash is meant to be longer with ethanol than ISO? Winterizing will not be a good idea for this application will it?

herbivore21,
Top Bottom