Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Thanks for the info guys, it is definitely more crusty/ashy.

Do carb caps work with quartz castle nails or just the larger domeless nails?

FlyingLow,

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker

It will work with any Domeless that it can fully cover. Some people use a marble on top of a dome but you cannot reheat the nail while covered with a dome. HE has 2 sizes of cap and I'm sure there are others out there. Measure the diameter of your castle.

Edit: ID of the larger HE cap is 13/16"

DieHard,

farscaper

@FlyingLow idk if a carb cap will wotk the same or not for the castles. I think @hishighness uses a carb cap on his quartz banger... which is similar in nature... the castle would benefit from a carb cap due to its unique cooling properties... however I do not have a carb cap... I know I saw someone blowing some glass carb caps that looked like plungers..... but I just dont know how it would work with the castle quartz nails. I think we would need a cap that covered the whole head of the nail fairly well....

:hmm:

farscaper,
Reactions: FlyingLow

Stiggy

I doubt carb capping and heating a quartz castle will work worth a shit. The castle is hollow and the underside of the dish surface that the dab contacts is inaccessible to the flame of your torch unlike most domeless ti nails.

A carb cap used in the traditional sense after the dab is applied doesn't really seem needed at all with a quartz castle IMO. I get such good flavor off it as it is and every piece that hits the nail vapes off unless I dumped a way overly ambitious scoop onto the nail. I tried just laying a razor blade over the castle after applying a dab. Waste of effort, only result was a condensed errl vapor circle on the razor blade.

So after reading some other's techniques with concentrates, I have started to loose the dabber tool and just drop onto the castle quartz...

I think I prefer this way the best, no sticky tool to deal with too:)

I might need to make smaller balls, there is more residue left at the bottom of the castle from dropping, than when I use a dabber tool. Correct me if I am wrong, but does this mean the quartz is cooling before the ball is vaporized? Or is it simply residue?
I love dabberless dabbing!! So much more convenient. I only have to break out the tool for the gooey shit.

You will get more residue on the nail from dabberless dabbing, given the dabs being exactly the same size when comparing both methods. When dabbed without a dabber ALL of the concentrate is vaped on that nail because it has nowhere else to run. When you use a dabber an amount of errl will climb its way back up your dab tool running away from the heat, this is damn near impossible to avoid. You can rub the sides of the dab tool on the top lip of the castle between the slits to vape the errl attempting to run up the tool. When I use a dab too I use a HE ball point dabber. I get the dab on the VERY end of the ball point. I then position the dab right over the center of the dish and contact the dab tool above the dab to the lip of the castle between the slits then tilt the tool to contact the dab to the dish inside the castle. The errl attempts to climb up the dabber then I just drag it into the hot lip ridge of the castle.

You'll know you've either let the quartz castle nail cool too long or dropped too large a bhomb when the oil left on the nail is shiny and reflective like.. oil. When the residue is dull and crusty you're golden.

Stiggy

I watched that video before I seasoned my castles. I originally was going to do that, but I just wound up going the torch the shit out of it and drop a HUGE glob of reclaim on it method. Worked great. And it was reclaim I wasn't all that worried about , not fresh shatter like in the video which seems like a waste to me.

Maybe I'll try it when I need to season my backup castle.

I'd like to add to my post above that if one were to have a workable carb cap for a quartz castle I think it would be something that may look similar to a mothership glass OFZ carb cap. A carb cap for a domeless ti nail that has the hole offset to direct air to the moat would just be directing that air to the slits in the castle. The glass OFZ carb cap directs air straight down into their mothership honey buckets with a length of tube. Something like that that reaches down into the castle past the slits might do the trick.

Last edited:
Stiggy,

farscaper

I guess if I need to dab right now this second, that would be a consideration me. I like that I can set the nail in my toaster oven, go eat lunch then come back to a perfectly seasoned nail.

...or so the theory goes. My nail is in the oven atm.
if only u could use both nails as a side by side trial as to weather the oven treatment is worth it...

farscaper,

walrus

I seasoned my latest ti nail in the oven. When I seasoned my first nail, it involved heating with the torch multiple times and wiping dab after dab of reclaim on it until I thought it was done. It worked ok but I never thought the taste was there until my 5th or 6th real dab off of it. When I got my newer nail, I only had one large-ish dab of reclaim and some great shatter that I didn't want to sacrifice. So I did it basically the same way posted above with the single glob of claim. Only real difference was I took it out of the oven a few times to wipe the oil around the cup with my dabber. I much preferred the seasoning I got with the oven method and will be doing that from now on. :2c:

As for a carb cap for the quartz castles, www.dabfarm.com sells a castle style quartz nail and a carb cap for it. Not sure that it would fit the castles that people here are talking about or not. Also, I don't have one so I can't speak to the quality or how well it works, just putting it out there. http://dabfarm.bigcartel.com/product/c2-daisy-nail-carb-cap-combo-set

Caligula

Maximus
I think my issue is that I have 0 reclaim and only pricey oil so Im using as little as possible. Im starting to get better taste but progress is slow going. How much material is typically required before "seasoning" is complete?

Caligula,

farscaper

I think my issue is that I have 0 reclaim and only pricey oil so Im using as little as possible. Im starting to get better taste but progress is slow going. How much material is typically required before "seasoning" is complete?
the season on quartz is less for taste and more for "so you can see its hot..."

were I think Ti is seasoning for taste. since Ti glows red out the box and quartz doesn't. now it will change in flavor a little when the quartz is "seasoned" or as I call it "broke in" but this is due mainly to the fact you have learned to drive your new nail and are no longer scratching gears.... with Ti you have to season it or it tastes bad until it is.

quartz man right here!

farscaper,
Reactions: Caligula

Caligula

Maximus
the season on quartz is less for taste and more for "so you can see its hot..."

were I think Ti is seasoning for taste. since Ti glows red out the box and quartz doesn't. now it will change in flavor a little when the quartz is "seasoned" or as I call it "broke in" but this is due mainly to the fact you have learned to drive your new nail and are no longer scratching gears.... with Ti you have to season it or it tastes bad until it is.

quartz man right here!

I read that earlier. Question though... what are you looking for in the seasoning in order to judge temp? SO far Ive just been torching for 20 seconds (moving it all around the outside of the nail) then letting it cool for 10. I put my hand over the nail (about 0.25") to see if its too hot still as per another suggestion too. Still tastes off.

Caligula,
Reactions: farscaper

farscaper

I read that earlier. Question though... what are you looking for in the seasoning in order to judge temp? SO far Ive just been torching for 20 seconds (moving it all around the outside of the nail) then letting it cool for 10. I put my hand over the nail (about 0.25") to see if its too hot still as per another suggestion too. Still tastes off.
what kinda torch ya got? ive got a couple and each are diffrent timings...

idk how the nail like your seasons... but I tell you what. I have a virgin nail like yours ill break it in tonight. ive never tried the cup head domeless yet.... ben hitting the castle so much.

farscaper,

farscaper

ugh.... so I got this 14mm cup domeless quartz out.... fucker whistles when you pull.... guess imma go whistle some dixie and try this nail.... @Caligula I bet yours doesnt have a bad whistle cause the tubes bigger... or does yours whistle? the castle doesnt whistle at all.

edit: so I used so dark cherry bomb oil I had planned on eating. smeared it all around and hit it with the torch (the nail was cold til now) and I basically just boiled it like the dude in the oven vid.... just faster. it may combust but thats ok.... then I just torched it off with high flame from the 4000 propane torch but a creme torch should suffice. let it cool... and while it cooled I grabbed a small dab and heated the nail til the flame... not the nail turned orange. then give it a sec and go...

u might try that... let us know if that helps.

Last edited:

Caligula

Maximus
ugh.... so I got this 14mm cup domeless quartz out.... fucker whistles when you pull.... guess imma go whistle some dixie and try this nail.... @Caligula I bet yours doesnt have a bad whistle cause the tubes bigger... or does yours whistle? the castle doesnt whistle at all.

Not at all.

Sorry for the camera going buggy, it really didn't like those lighting conditions and I didn't notice until after.

Whats cool about this nail is that I can hold the female end in my hand and still torch the nail head. Doesnt even get warm down there. What way I get more control and dont worry about my glass.

...is that a bad idea? Do these shatter?

Last edited:

farscaper

Not at all.

Sorry for the camera going buggy, it really didn't like those lighting conditions and I didn't notice until after.

Wthats cool about this nail is that I can hold the female end in my hand and still torch the nail head. Doesnt even get warm down there. What way I get more control and dont worry about my glass.

...is that a bad idea? Do these shatter?
if it shatters its not quartz typically.. thats why its prefered over boro.... which would prolly taste similar... but fuzed quartz is better at handling temptature variations. if your noticing a hot plastic taste that means the nail is still to hot...

Caligula

Maximus
if it shatters its not quartz typically.. thats why its prefered over boro.... which would prolly taste similar... but fuzed quartz is better at handling temptature variations. if your noticing a hot plastic taste that means the nail is still to hot...

The more I do it the less I taste it... reminds me of the new car smell actually.

Now heres a question... after that dab in the video the nail looks like this:

20140511_163725_zpsiynnoyud.jpg~original

When I torch the nail, I do so until all that shit burns off (lights on fire pretty good after a minute). Thats when I decided it was "okay" to set on the rig and wait. From there I usually want 10-20 seconds and go at it. Is that kosher?

I mean the nail basically self cleans every time I set it up for a new dab, Is that how you're supposed to do it?

Caligula,

farscaper

The more I do it the less I taste it... reminds me of the new car smell actually.

Now heres a question... after that dab in the video the nail looks like this:

20140511_163725_zpsiynnoyud.jpg~original

When I torch the nail, I do so until all that shit burns off (lights on fire pretty good after a minute). Thats when I decided it was "okay" to set on the rig and wait. From there I usually want 10-20 seconds and go at it. Is that kosher?

I mean the nail basically self cleans every time I set it up for a new dab, Is that how you're supposed to do it?
you can do it that way, which keeps the surface clean. and you can just heat to dab temp over and over ... you will notice buildup which can be periodically cleaned off. I havnt noticed a foul taste doing it that way, but I torch it clean once a day or more.

thats my favorite perc of quartz is that you can clean it as often as you want.... Ti nails you have to be careful overtorching cause if you burn off the seasoning you have to reseason it.

farscaper,

Caligula

Maximus
you can do it that way, which keeps the surface clean. and you can just heat to dab temp over and over ... you will notice buildup which can be periodically cleaned off. I havnt noticed a foul taste doing it that way, but I torch it clean once a day or more.

thats my favorite perc of quartz is that you can clean it as often as you want.... Ti nails you have to be careful overtorching cause if you burn off the seasoning you have to reseason it.

I also have a marble that can be used as a carb. It blocks near 100% of the airflow if I set it down outright and can adjust by lifting slightly. How should I be using that?

Caligula,

farscaper

I also have a marble that can be used as a carb. It blocks near 100% of the airflow if I set it down outright and can adjust by lifting slightly. How should I be using that?
great question.... I havnt ever tried that, but I bet I can find one somewhere around here.

I think carb capping requires u heat like normal but throw a larger glob in.... idk... have to check the carb cap thread.

farscaper,
Top Bottom