Cheap High Quality Bubbler

jambandphan03

in flavor country
yeah, I am extremely tempted, and haven't ruled anything out yet. Surprisingly this Saxo hits really smooth and has great diffusion. I am still working on getting more detail about the ion. Right now the biggest deciding factor is how the angle of the mouth piece is. It looks like it points up a bit more than the way this Saxo does, and I really like the angle of the Saxo mouth piece. I can lean in with out straining my neck at all while at my desk. One of the reasons I medicate often is to relieve my neck/back pain.

here are a couple of pics of the Ion... sure is a tough call to make...

A4hih.jpg

cjAUb.jpg

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
@#$%ing had to spend $70 on crap I didn't want today. I broke a piece in the local shop. Some wannabe heady bubbler (combustion), they wanted $80 for. Though, I and the guy both know damn well, he paid about $20 for it. So I offered to buy something and he asked to tack on $15. The only thing they had I would remotely think of using nowadays, was an 18/14 Inline AC, with a cheap, thin blue j-hook. The inline is so-so but only has cuts along about half its length and loves to spit water. At least I can hook up my other ACs to it, now I have the 18/14 reducer.

Still... $70 that could have gone towards my Leviathan Bubbler.

BigDaddyVapor,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
yeah, I am extremely tempted, and haven't ruled anything out yet. Surprisingly this Saxo hits really smooth and has great diffusion. I am still working on getting more detail about the ion. Right now the biggest deciding factor is how the angle of the mouth piece is. It looks like it points up a bit more than the way this Saxo does, and I really like the angle of the Saxo mouth piece. I can lean in with out straining my neck at all while at my desk. One of the reasons I medicate often is to relieve my neck/back pain.

here are a couple of pics of the Ion... sure is a tough call to make...

tn

tn
I'm not seeing the pics, Jam.

Not that I need to see what an Ion looks like, but I was just curious if it was a matrix or reti?
:peace:

Stu,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
hmmm they show up for me, and also in your quote, wonder what that is about??

I'll just go ahead and edit so they are from a different source... they should be there shortly...

how's that?? it's got a matrix perc

jambandphan03,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I can see them now. I have the Reti and I really love it. I'd love to try the matrix, but I've yet to.

My mouthpiece is at a slightly different angle, that one looks more vertical to me.

Looks like a nice piece. Are you going to trade for it?

Stu,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I am still a bit undecided, but leaning towards holding out and trying to sell the DG. I thought, it might not hurt to trade, then if I want to sell the mobius later, I could still probably get most of what it is worth back, and then will have been able to try the mobius in the mean time. hmmm

Here is a quick video using my Cloud w/ the BL Saxo...

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Great vid! Wish I could pull on mine that hard. I'd be spinning the trench on the LB, however. Maybe if I cranked the PA up to full. Usually on the pull, I'm firing on just the first set, which is what really impressed me about the piece. You can easily control your draw, to go first row, second row, full perc. Its hard to tell from the angle, I think our lettering is off. Your lettering looks like it might sit lower than mine. Try something, if you don't mind. Drop it down, to just the top of the lettering.

So my $70 @#$% up, wasn't a total loss. The piece is worthless, but it helped me discover one truly badass little bubbler. I'll have to get a nice j-hook and buy a full-size ac. Would absolutely rock, if the mini works this well.

So I turned this POS...
20120823_211649.jpg

Seriously... 9 cuts? When you could easily fit 9 more!!!!??? Actually doesn't fire half bad, but its not forgiving on the water level/pull strength.
20120823_211712.jpg

Behold... vapor bliss. All I basically did, was put my Rolls Royce front end w/ a 18/14 reducer, onto my crappy bug (j-hook might be <1mm). Hits like a champ!
20120823_211809.jpg

Yeah, its dirty. It gets a LOT of use.
20120823_211850.jpg

Regardless... a total face palm move. I would have walked out there, not spending a dime. Just wanted to browse... instead *poof* almost half my Leviathan Bubbler fund. :doh:

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: placetime

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Great vid! Wish I could pull on mine that hard. I'd be spinning the trench on the LB, however. Maybe if I cranked the PA up to full. Usually on the pull, I'm firing on just the first set, which is what really impressed me about the piece. You can easily control your draw, to go first row, second row, full perc. Its hard to tell from the angle, I think our lettering is off. Your lettering looks like it might sit lower than mine. Try something, if you don't mind. Drop it down, to just the top of the lettering.

The cloud has such little restriction, you can pull some seriously thick vapor clouds, that feel to me almost as strong as a dab. Unfortunately, I have been getting over an upper respiratory illness, that hit me a few days ago, so my lung capacity is a bit limited right now. I did have my water level lower, just at the top of the lettering, and it was nice, but I found a little more made it stack higher. I am sure I will keep messing with it every time I clean it, which is often. I put the Solo on top of the BL and it was way more restricted, could barely get it to bubble or stack at all until I cleared it. So there is a difference depending on how restricted your vape is.

jambandphan03,

SD_haze

Mr. Steele linked to this neat website on another thread

Glass Blowers Direct

They have a beaker or a straight shooter on the website for a starting $50+shipping (says $18 S&H without inputting an address) but real nice looking glass/customizations. However, I'm not a fan of how their tree percs and inlines look on the bigger pieces.

Says they're made of pyrex
Both look to be ~3mm thick, but can be 5mm for $30 extra or 7mm for $50
Another $50 for custom sandblasting personalization :ninja:

~$120 for a 7mm 10-12inch travel tube? Sounds legit to me.
straight101.png

(I know the downstem looks non-diffused, but might not be extra if you contact them)
38mm-beaker.png

[nice thick bottom]

Bubbler-w-dome-nail.png

[This bubbler is an extra $10, but normally comes with a female joint, not direct inject with a nail, which is $10 extra for any of the pieces]

Sidenote:
Since this is a thread for the frugal, they also have an interesting "free downstem promotion"
Basically you pay S&H and get a custom downstem. Page also has good info on how to measure your tube for what length downstem to buy

... j-hook

$70 seems like a lot for what you got! Over inflated LHS prices...

Speaking of J hook adapters, I paired this simple sherlock with an 8 arm tree diffused a/c. It's very light and sits well in my hand, but I'm surprised how solid it feels. The sherlock will definitely break in short order, but the glass on the a/c is quite thick though I'm sure the perc arms would break if dropped. I like the inverted joint too. It might be too big for it's intended purpose, which was to add some extra diffusion on my SSFG travel beaker (on it's way). It's about 4 inch and my beaker will be 7.5 inch +/-. Even full it will be a light sucker, so I wanted something that won't topple it or look comically large in comparison.

Still, as a CHEAP bubbler, it works well and pairs nicely with the EQ whip for some really milky hits. It'll tide me over anyways until my SSFG travel beaker gets here. Just need to get some clear keck clips, the red looks wack.

edit: it also sits really well if it's inserted into the sherlock on an angle. It rests on the bottom of the a/c, the edge of the sherlock, and the mouthpiece. Doesn't budge like that.

These j hook adapters really are worth it. You can pair it with pretty much any GONG a/c or bowl. Really versatile piece of kit.

mK8Ru.jpg
uKvi7.jpg

4m9KT.jpg

kingofnull,
Reactions: placetime

jambandphan03

in flavor country
The ion is pretty sweet, Jam. I love mine.

Just sayin'....

Got the ion in the mail yesterday, it is sweet!! I added an adapter to extend the mouthpiece, so I don't have to bend down as far to get a hit at my desk. I know this is a bit off topic, just wanted to pop in and say the trade went well, the mobius does rock! I think my BL saxo is going to get a bath, and put aside for back up. I was very impressed with the BL saxo, and want to keep it around.

DdVRg.jpg

mscm888

Hey Jam would you please take a pic of your cloud on top of your ion and post it for me?

I'm ready to pull trigger on one but want to see how close it would sit near my face while hitting it.

Thank you!

mscm888,

placetime

That's a beautiful setup. :tup: But, uh, maybe for the Cloud thread? Seems like a Cloud on top of a Mobius is a liiiitle bit outside of the "Cheap, high-quality bubbler" theme. :lol:

placetime,
Reactions: Kief

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
$70 seems like a lot for what you got! Over inflated LHS prices...

Oh, it was a ripoff, I know. The piece was $50, which was still too high. But the junk I broke was $80. Ugly ass combustion bubbler, that I know for a fact, wholesales for about $25-$30. I don't buy much stuff from there anymore.

BigDaddyVapor,

placetime

gotcha, just filling a request, I can edit if you are bothered, we can take it to PM. Sorry to drop it on this page. It went back to a previous convo here, that started a few weeks back.

As you were...
oh, no bother. i just thought the juxtaposition was funny. :nod:

placetime,

placetime

Ran across this tonight:

http://store.kultureva.com/TKO202M14.html

There were a few others in the 120-150 price range if you poke around...
Aren't those great? They also have some really nice $100 pieces too, such as:

http://store.kultureva.com/TKO201-D-18mm.html

Any idea why they're so inexpensive? Some people keep telling me it's next to impossible to get "quality" glass for those kinds of prices. They look great to me, but I'm an inexperienced noob when it comes to this glass stuff, so I'm not the best judge. You're a glass afficianado, right jambandphan? What's your take on these TKO bubblers? They're no Mobius Matrix, to be sure, but maybe they're still "quality" glass? :\

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
So the $70 I spent on the POS inline and j-hook.. has turned into a $70 POS j-hook. I was hitting off another inline and the j-hook, when I went to put this back together, I noticed it was wet underneath. I just thought it was condensation, or water dripped, so I wiped it off. Immediately pooled back up. Couldn't really see it, but I could feel the separation between the blue colored glass and the clear. Not worth fixing, so it went into the trash.

Leviathan money to...

And because I was so mortified/embarrassed over the incident, I didn't tell my wife and she suddenly asked the other day, "What's this $70 you spent at Havanna House?" @#$%!

BigDaddyVapor,
So the $70 I spent on the POS inline and j-hook.. has turned into a $70 POS j-hook. I was hitting off another inline and the j-hook, when I went to put this back together, I noticed it was wet underneath. I just thought it was condensation, or water dripped, so I wiped it off. Immediately pooled back up. Couldn't really see it, but I could feel the separation between the blue colored glass and the clear. Not worth fixing, so it went into the trash.

Leviathan money to...

And because I was so mortified/embarrassed over the incident, I didn't tell my wife and she suddenly asked the other day, "What's this $70 you spent at Havanna House?" @#$%!

Which is why my wife and I have seperate cards, and I always shred my receipts :D Sorry to hear about your shitty purchase. I can't help making a purchase any time I'm at an LHS either. I don't know what it is. I usually curb my impulse by buying a local glass spoon. My collection is starting to get ridiculous, and they never get used, but it saves me from spending $70 every visit :lol:

Van_Tran_Small_Travel_Bubbler_14mm_%285%29__95866_zoom.jpg

$106.81 at High Priority Glass.

I've always liked the Freshbaked Fissle Vapor Rig. $97 - Great for concentrates, could be jury rigged to work with vaporizers.
FreshBaked_Glass_Fissle_Vapor_Rig_1__39274_zoom.jpg

Top Bottom