Carta by Focus V

jimsmith90210

Who Is Nate?
I was too stupid to understand the flashing lights on my Carta and @FocusV was nice enough to quickly help me out. I was worried it was overheating, turns out it was 100% user error.

What's the trick for unscrewing the top to switch out buckets? I want to try quartz ASAP I'm not a fan of Ti

Is there any news about the Android app? I really want to start trying this with lower temps.

Is anyone using any third party carb caps?

Last edited:
jimsmith90210,
Reactions: MonkeyTime

Shadyguy

Hello All -

I have been following this thread and wanted to give my two cents on the product after having it for about a week or so. Just for a little background I have an enail/banger setup at home and use a waxpen (r/waxpen for the dabs!) on the go. Like most on here I follow the market for new and interesting ways to vape. So with excitement I pre-ordered the carta and both custom glass pieces. So far I have had mostly the same experiences as others. When all is well the carta rips really hard and is super convenient. However, it does have a couple downsides in my opinion that can hopefully be addressed.

Pros:
Nice form factor
Long lasting battery life
Replaceable batteries

Cons:
Atomizer issues
- Overheating/RROD aka red ring of death *Issue to be mitigated with new version
- Plastic piece that holds the bucket down cracked due to overheating and now I am having issues tightening
- I am not a huge fan of the clockwise/counter-clockwise design. It may be due to the cracked plastic piece, but either way when tightening the atomizer I seem to apply just enough pressure the top part of the atty comes loose. (This is probably to help prevent over tightening and breaking the heating element)

Bucket design
- Ti bucket is very thin in comparison to the Sai Ti bucket, so it just feels kind of cheap.
- Bottom airflow design: The vapor seems to flow up the bucket and out the holes at the top and down through the bottom to the glass. There will always be some oil/reclaim down the sides of the bucket and throughout the atomizer. This leads to a lot of maintenance to keep everything nice and clean. In a perfect world, a little and iso and a qtip is all that is required (sai top flow in mind)

Last edited:
Shadyguy,
Reactions: Vision103

Hoosier

Couple of updates over here. My third atomizer (original design) is working great. Lowest temp is good. Hope it lasts until the new version arrives.

Speaking of arrivals, both of the upgrade glass pieces came in today. Both have a great fit. Have only tried the peak helix. Wow, very nice piece and a great concept combo with the low temp terp hits!

mc

In order to use mine I have to start it on low #1, and just when it reaches temp I have to hold the button to shut it off. Otherwise it gets way too hot. On the second hit I have to turn it off earlier and earlier. But aside from that, it's awesome. I can't wait for the taller atomizer so I can use the quartz again. That last mess almost ruined my whole unit.

Also for Q-tip cleaning, if you twist the Q-tip it's easier to clean because of that loose cup.

freddiegibbs

In order to use mine I have to start it on low #1, and just when it reaches temp I have to hold the button to shut it off. Otherwise it gets way too hot. On the second hit I have to turn it off earlier and earlier. But aside from that, it's awesome. I can't wait for the taller atomizer so I can use the quartz again. That last mess almost ruined my whole unit.
This is what I have been doing also. It's not too efficient, but it'll do until the app. Leaving it at temp, even at level 1, is just too hot for me. 625 degrees isn't CRAZY hot, but it's hot enough that every hit is an intense blast. I feel that operating the Carta is going to be much sweeter when I can drop the temp by 100 degrees. I'll honestly probably never touch my Peak again at that point. I have also been having to clean after every other hit. The accumulation of oil in threading and other crevices in the og atomizer is really heavy, even with the titanium cup.

mc

This is what I have been doing also. It's not too efficient, but it'll do until the app. Leaving it at temp, even at level 1, is just too hot for me. 625 degrees isn't CRAZY hot, but it's hot enough that every hit is an intense blast. I feel that operating the Carta is going to be much sweeter when I can drop the temp by 100 degrees. I'll honestly probably never touch my Peak again at that point. I have also been having to clean after every other hit. The accumulation of oil in threading and other crevices in the og atomizer is really heavy, even with the titanium cup.

I'm not getting any splash up the sides of the Ti cup. Are you guys using non standard carb caps? That being said it's got to be very possible because even with the default capmy quartz cup blew the oil all over the place...

mc,

Hoosier

This is exactly how I use my 2nd atomizer that runs too hot. I have found that the atty that runs too hot also tendsto boil over way more than the atomizers that are running at a much lower temps

mc

Well my Ti cup spilled over last night. Good thing I caught it before the oil reached the heater. Would have been a smokey mess. Gotta keep it very level and tiny dabs for sure until those new atomizers.

mc,
Reactions: Aggi

medicalmark

Medicalmark
Did any of you check out the fc Instagram it has a nice vid of the f bomb helix in action, looks real nice.
My glass pieces will probably get here by the time the production carta is released in March lol there still in Chicago it’s taking a long time.
Any news about the herb chamber? When can I get one? And how about the new atomizer is it ready and tested and going to be sent to us soon?
I hope they put a herb chamber video up to see I’m very interested in how it will performs.
80% of our lives we spend waiting I guess it’s good that I can spend 20% of the time medicated to pass the the time I have left.

Cheers, medicalmark

medicalmark,
Reactions: Shrike

Hoosier

Did any of you check out the fc Instagram it has a nice vid of the f bomb helix in action, looks real nice.
My glass pieces will probably get here by the time the production carta is released in March lol there still in Chicago it’s taking a long time.
Any news about the herb chamber? When can I get one? And how about the new atomizer is it ready and tested and going to be sent to us soon?
I hope they put a herb chamber video up to see I’m very interested in how it will performs.
80% of our lives we spend waiting I guess it’s good that I can spend 20% of the time medicated to pass the the time I have left.

Cheers, medicalmark
Both of the glass upgrades have helix f bomb stamped on them. Which one was it?

jimsmith90210

Who Is Nate?
I finally got the top off and tried the quartz bucket.

I cold loaded 1/3rd a grain of rice, and fired on lowest temp. 100% off the wax instantly flew up into the air holes at the top of the cup.

What the heck did I do wrong? It really doesn't seem like I pulled too hard.

jimsmith90210,

mc

I finally got the top off and tried the quartz bucket.

I cold loaded 1/3rd a grain of rice, and fired on lowest temp. 100% off the wax instantly flew up into the air holes at the top of the cup.

What the heck did I do wrong?

I believe everyone, or most people are having the same issue witht he Quartz. I stick to the Ti for now.

Shadyguy

Thank you. Do we know if the new, taller atomizers will come with quartz buckets?
Yes, according to the live stream there is a new quartz bucket in the works! From what I recall it will have a flat bottom and will be much taller than the original.

Hopefully they will be ready soon because my atomizer is no longer functioning properly. Whenever I click the button to initiate heating, the light instantly changes to green but isn't hot enough to vaporize. I got one nice pull using the helix but hasn't worked since.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? I don't want to pay $30 for another potentially problematic atomizer, but don't want to wait until the new atomizer are ready. @FocusV can you help a brother out?

Shadyguy,

Hoosier

Yes, according to the live stream there is a new quartz bucket in the works! From what I recall it will have a flat bottom and will be much taller than the original.

Hopefully they will be ready soon because my atomizer is no longer functioning properly. Whenever I click the button to initiate heating, the light instantly changes to green but isn't hot enough to vaporize. I got one nice pull using the helix but hasn't worked since.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? I don't want to pay $30 for another potentially problematic atomizer, but don't want to wait until the new atomizer are ready. @FocusV can you help a brother out?

Yes. That was the same way my first atomizer went out.

Hoosier,

freddiegibbs

Mine is now doing this too :(

freddiegibbs,

Fkn0wned

Yeah I'd still definitely like at least one or two extra of the old atomizers as well especially if we can receive them before the main release.

I have some extra buckets and various things from other devices I wanted to tinker and mess with on the old style atomizers you had said something about discounting them or something alone those lines or do you just have any extras you can send some of us FC users?

I'm still not sure why my finish on the actual unit is messing up still also but you're busy with CHAMPS so that's understandable we'll have to wait until that calms down.

*Also I will just edit this post instead of double posting but I have some new pictures to show what I was tinkering around with.

BUT FIRST!

Here is an image of the included Titanium bucket this is what the outside eventually starts to look like the concentrate eventually just gets baked along the sides of the unit this is what is causing a lot of the spill over and mess on the bottom of the atomizers and in the atomizer connection I believe because it just travels down the bucket under the ceramic atomizer down that middle tube.

20190303-131532.jpg

Now for things I was messing around with I had some extra buckets from the Source Vapes XXL line and figured I'd see how they fit, and while they do fit I need to rig a way to allow airflow to still come through because it just sits flush with the top plastic cap when screwed on.

20190303-131700.jpg

20190303-131743.jpg

20190303-131827.jpg

20190303-131846.jpg

This last one is the top screwed on with that XXL Quartz bucket but as you see on my top cap I broke off those 4 little metal guides and the actual bigger cups fit on the outside of those as the original bucket seated within those tabs but since the XXL buckets are along the outside rim it sits flat so no air holes are there so I have been trying to find a way to keep a gap up top with these bigger buckets.

20190303-131928.jpg

I also have this actual ceramic disc coil also I pulled from the Source XXL cup which might be neat to mess with.

20190303-133140.jpg

Another Edit

My ceramic heater was all cracked up into pieces and I removed it out trying to see if I can fit the Source XXL Ceramic disc into the atomizer housing but it doesn't fire up the coil I just get the flashing yellow lights.

But when I did remove the old ceramic heating plate I did notice what I said was true concentrates are escaping under the heater plate itself because under it was just charred baked on concentrates I had to scrub to get off.

So now I have an unusable unit this is very unfortunate I honestly believe a backup should have been sent out to all pre order costumers anyways once they were received by you due to all this that has been going on.

Now I potentially have to wait weeks to even be able to use something I invested $250 into although I enjoy the potential here it is beginning to be a hassle.

Last edited:
Fkn0wned,

tylerj55

Yeah I'd still definitely like at least one or two extra of the old atomizers as well especially if we can receive them before the main release.

I have some extra buckets and various things from other devices I wanted to tinker and mess with on the old style atomizers you had said something about discounting them or something alone those lines or do you just have any extras you can send some of us FC users?

I'm still not sure why my finish on the actual unit is messing up still also but you're busy with CHAMPS so that's understandable we'll have to wait until that calms down.

*Also I will just edit this post instead of double posting but I have some new pictures to show what I was tinkering around with.

BUT FIRST!

Here is an image of the included Titanium bucket this is what the outside eventually starts to look like the concentrate eventually just gets baked along the sides of the unit this is what is causing a lot of the spill over and mess on the bottom of the atomizers and in the atomizer connection I believe because it just travels down the bucket under the ceramic atomizer down that middle tube.

20190303-131532.jpg

Now for things I was messing around with I had some extra buckets from the Source Vapes XXL line and figured I'd see how they fit, and while they do fit I need to rig a way to allow airflow to still come through because it just sits flush with the top plastic cap when screwed on.

20190303-131700.jpg

20190303-131743.jpg

20190303-131827.jpg

20190303-131846.jpg

This last one is the top screwed on with that XXL Quartz bucket but as you see on my top cap I broke off those 4 little metal guides and the actual bigger cups fit on the outside of those as the original bucket seated within those tabs but since the XXL buckets are along the outside rim it sits flat so no air holes are there so I have been trying to find a way to keep a gap up top with these bigger buckets.

20190303-131928.jpg

I also have this actual ceramic disc coil also I pulled from the Source XXL cup which might be neat to mess with.

20190303-133140.jpg

Another Edit

My ceramic heater was all cracked up into pieces and I removed it out trying to see if I can fit the Source XXL Ceramic disc into the atomizer housing but it doesn't fire up the coil I just get the flashing yellow lights.

But when I did remove the old ceramic heating plate I did notice what I said was true concentrates are escaping under the heater plate itself because under it was just charred baked on concentrates I had to scrub to get off.

So now I have an unusable unit this is very unfortunate I honestly believe a backup should have been sent out to all pre order costumers anyways once they were received by you due to all this that has been going on.

Now I potentially have to wait weeks to even be able to use something I invested $250 into although I enjoy the potential here it is beginning to be a hassle.
I don’t mean to sound rude or anything, but they have been very clear this has been a beta testing phase essentially. I understand your frustrations, but I’m confident they will make everything right ASAP. They will end up sending a new unit out after the issues have been worked out, but sending out multiple units that haven’t had any changes seems a little bit counterproductive. Again, not trying to be rude or anything, and I totally get where you’re coming from, I just think you should cut them just a little bit more slack.

Hoosier

IMO, your current situation sucks, but should be expected during a pre/beta release.

On a different note. Tried the short F bomb today. It is excellent too!

Hoosier,
Reactions: Shrike

Fkn0wned

:doh: I mean leave it to the internet to be jumped on first sign of someone showing some frustration even though I am one of the early supporters so I obviously know of the shortcomings and we are the actual "testers" hince how he already showed us newer designed automizers I know this I have been following every live stream.

You don't have to say things like "don't meant to be rude" like I bought this blindly and jumped on it not reading and having DM'ed conversations with the guy before hand, I always look into and research all my purchases.

This is what they call a forum where I am posting as such for "documentation" on the device since we are the testers and that is what we are intended to do if we can and are willing, now that is why the post also included me tinkering with my said broken atomizer testing fits with different buckets I had lying around.

I also said I have enjoyed the unit I am just frustrated it is now a paperweight until more atomizers or potentially the new unit altogether with the new atomizer, but how is he to know how many users have a broken atomizer if they are not told and he mentions FC on every stream so obviously he is a frequent user and checks on what we say.

Fkn0wned,

Hoosier

@Fkn0wned – with your source heater...did you use the ceramic & plastic wire sleeves from the original carta atomizer? I was able to successfully get a DT donut to work on the carta, but the alignment was to high for the Ti bucket

Hoosier,
Top Bottom