Aromed 4.0

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
Since getting domed screens for my Air, I have used what I think is probably 0.03 or 0.04 g.

As of the last week or so, though, I have been inclined to let the unit (and stem) heat up fully, vape something like 0.01 g, discard ABV, then vape another 0.01 and shut it off before it times out.

I'm beginning to feel like I'm wasting herbs if I use more than 0.05 g in the Aromed. With the domed screen in my Air, I can't even load more than 0.05 g.

Aimless Ryan,

Aimless Ryan

Sorta. I use a tiny measuring spoon ("smidgen") to load my vapes. I have done this for long enough to know that a level "smidgen" of herbs weighs around 0.03 g and a heaping spoonful weighs about 0.05 g. This can vary a little bit depending on the size of the grounds, of course, but I feel like I have a good grasp of what I see.

Even though I like my scale, I usually have to use at least 0.03 g for it to register anything. Since I can never really tell how accurate such small measurements may be (when measured individually), at some point I decided to weigh several level spoonfuls of herbs, which averaged out to about 0.03 g per level spoonful.

Aimless Ryan,
Reactions: MinnBobber

Aimless Ryan

I'm calling this at least 0.01 g but less than 0.02 g. This is now an average sized load with my Aromed. It will happily give me about five good hits. ('Happily' means I won't have to work for it. At all.) Now that I have used tiny loads dozens of times, in conjunction with my easy-to-make dough risers, I usually find this to be enough. If not, I can just do another tiny load. It takes about a minute.

npNkc8O.jpg

I went ahead and vaped this load before posting. It gave me four good clouds plus one lighter cloud.

Aimless Ryan,
Reactions: Stu

lazylathe

Almost there...
@Aimless Ryan

That flour and water raiser looks interesting!!
I may try it with some mods though.

What about using an EQ basket in the center and lose the screen entirely?
I would think this would concentrate the heat into a smaller area even more, possibly allowing for smaller loads?

I will give it a go using my Silicone putty to make the adapter. Maybe the Aromed will be in rotation again!

Thanks for all your testing and posting of the results!

Aimless Ryan

I'm not sure if I know what an EQ basket looks like, but I think you have the right idea there. One thing I have done, which I think has created the result you described, has been to make the riser thicker, with a smaller-diameter hole for airflow (which can be made with a screwdriver). In my experience so far, not only does a small hole provide a smaller area for your load to be easily usable (while also providing considerably less turbulence), but I think it also concentrates the heat right above the hole.

For risers that are fairly thin around the circumference (like the ones to the far left and far right in my picture below), I have made a change in my riser-making process. Instead of rolling a fairly large piece of dough into a long cylinder, I use small (pea-sized) pieces of dough to build the riser, kind of like bricks. It all ends up as one piece after I press everything together real good.

I can't remember, but did you indicate that you have some of the same Aromed problems I had, regarding possible lower temperature conditions than expected?

Here's a picture I just took of some of the risers I've made. Take note of the different center hole sizes. Keep in mind, the ones that used a lot of dough took a lot of time to bake (which is why they are darker).

aWONHjK.jpg

Yes, I'm still 100% on board for this idea. This modification has changed everything for me.

I really hope you do try it. And if you do it differently than I have, that won't upset me; it'll just give me more ideas.

lazylathe

Almost there...
http://www.planetvape.ca/extreme-q-screen-pack.html

These are the baskets I am talking about.
So I am thinking a silicone riser that the basket sits in the center of the riser at the correct height.

I will not be using flour and water but instead a heat resistant silicone that I have used extensively.
Much cleaner and easier to work with.

@Aimless Ryan

I have tried your mod and it works very well!
Small loads are a breeze and the taste and flavour is still top notch!

I do like the way the putty works as i can adjust the distance very easily without making a new one.

This is what mine looks like

IMG_2308_zps6ti7voru.jpg

Last edited:

Aimless Ryan

Sweet! I'm having a hard time seeing the big picture, as well as the specifics of the actual picture, but I'm glad it's working for you.

Looks like your system is a lot easier than mine (as long as you have the right tools, which I don't).

Do you feel like the Aromed experience just changed for you big time? Are your eyes now drawn to the stem during draws?

Oh yeah, and how high have you tried lifting the herbs, in relation to "Magic"? Have you accidentally combusted at all, or have you felt you may be in danger of combusting?

Aimless Ryan,
Reactions: lazylathe

lazylathe

Almost there...
What it is is a silicone disc with the basket inserted into the middle.
It is a perfect fit and can be slid up and down quite easily.

I do have to look below the herb chamber now for the vapor stream, kind of miss the vapor dance below the lamp though.

I have gone all the way up and combusted slightly.
So far it works well, just about to hit it again!
Not bad, just over 6 hours between hits!

This will not be replacing my Elite any time soon though...

Aimless Ryan

OK, I think I have a much better idea now. Based on what you said earlier, I pictured you using some kind of stiff gel, which sets after you dispense it. Are these silicone discs difficult to acquire?

When you combusted, was your Aromed set on the highest temperature? Since I pretty much always keep mine on the max temperature, I often forget that most people seem to prefer lower temperatures than I do. (I don't think I see a reason why anyone would want to do this, though, unless they feel unfulfilled by using the Aromed at maximum temperature.)

Aimless Ryan

@lazylathe You cannot know how much I appreciate you trying this with me. Thank you!

Having slept on it, here's some of what I think I have learned since you joined me in my experiment:
  • Your Aromed seems to work about how mine works. That is, it seems that the actual MAX temperature of your Aromed seems to be the same actual MAX temperature as mine. This seems to indicate that both your Aromed and mine do exactly what they're designed to do. (Alternatively, it could mean we both have a defective Aromed.)
  • If there is nothing wrong with either yours or mine, then it seems pretty clear that no Aromed will cause combustion unless you raise the screen to within a couple millimeters of the lightbulb housing/cover and vape on MAX.
  • Inside the herb holder, the average temperature just below the lightbulb housing seems to be at least 40°F hotter than the average temperature at normal screen level. (This observation required use of my IR thermometer on the exterior of the herb holder. Consequently, I'm not sure if the data in my mind means what I think it means.)

Aimless Ryan,
Reactions: lazylathe

Vital

@Aimless Ryan Everything's OK with me, I've just been real busy. I've been reading the posts though, and I see you've come around to liking the small loads. They come in handy when your stash gets low. I see you broke the glass, you should get the mesh connections I mentioned in an earlier post because they will keep your glass stable, and immovable, making it harder to break your glass.

Can you show me the link to the mesh connections please? Thank You...

Vital,

Aimless Ryan

This shows how I've been doing it today.

jXtvMul.jpg

• 456°F
  • Since you probably can't tell, the screen is literally touching the lightbulb housing. In fact, I used the lightbulb housing to push the screen into its position. (Since the screen is doing a fine job of holding itself up, the riser isn't actually doing anything here.)
  • Glassware is to the side, not in rear. (I always use it this way. For me this is much easier than using it with the glassware secured to the rear.)
I have vaped several loads this way so far. Haven't combusted yet. Keep in mind, they were very tiny loads (probably 0.005 g).

EDIT: I have since vaped a load I estimate to be 0.03 g out of this configuration. Didn't combust.

EDIT: I did combust a little with a 0.03 g load (at 456°F).

EDIT: Vaped another 0.03 g load to try to find out the lowest temperature setting that will produce visible vapor with this configuration. Looks like 330°F. (I have no idea if that is considered normal.)

Last edited:

Aimless Ryan

@Vital Maybe you should tag @luchiano. (Nevermind, I just did. Luchiano: There is a question for you a couple posts back.)

With the screen all the way up last night, it seems like I ended up combusting about half the time. Not the result I'm looking for. Thankfully there was no combustion until late in the sessions. What I think I learned is that, at least with my Aromed, the herbs pretty much have to touch the lightbulb housing before they'll get hot enough to combust.

Below: My newest riser being made. Although you probably can't see this in the picture, the screen is pressed into the top of the dough. Looks like this one may be a couple millimeters closer to the lightbulb than the last one, which is good. I think I meant for this one to be a little taller than it is, but it's still noticeably taller than any other I've made so far. (They shrink a little while baking. I'm just beginning to realize I need to account for a little shrinkage.)

ancYQSN.jpg

Here's a better look at the screen placement.

VA5XnYY.jpg

Aimless Ryan,

Aimless Ryan

This is my newest riser, fully baked. This one is the maximum height, though it lost about 1 mm of height while baking. Consequently, the screen sits about 1 mm lower than its highest possible position.

5OyN3z5.jpg

This is interesting (below). Now that I can comfortably use my Aromed with the screen so high, I have noticed a pattern in the location/configuration of the grounds after long draws. The grounds form three small piles, in an equilateral triangle pattern. Apparently the spaces between the small mounds are located directly below the holes in the lightbulb casing.

iZb6yTa.jpg

Even though I still risk combustion with this riser, this one seems to be very good for loads under 0.03 g. Also, when set at 356°F with the screen in this position, my Aromed seems to perform similarly to how my Arizer Air performs at 356°F. Consequently, I'm going to leave it at 356°F during daylight hours today; try something new. This makes me feel like I can trust the displayed temperature on my Aromed with this riser height, regardless of whether it says 356°F or 456°F.

Aimless Ryan

Next experiment. In the first picture:
  1. I started by inserting a riser (the dark thing) into the herb holder. The riser reaches to about 5 mm below the lightbulb enclosure when bulb is inserted fully.
  2. Topped the riser with my Aromed screen.
  3. Added a ring of dough above the screen, leaving a fairly small tunnel/oven in the center.
0ByineB.jpg

The new oven from above, with a tiny amount of herbs, adequately and easily browned:

WWBQCh6.jpg

I like the fact that the lightbulb enclosure left a mark on the top of the dough, perhaps making it a little easier for everyone to see how small I have made my Aromed's baking chamber.

This seems to be another fairly significant step forward. I mean, my oven is now about 10% of the size it used to be. (It's a lot easier and more efficient to heat a tiny oven than it is to heat a huge oven.)

I hope there are some people out there taking me seriously, because what I'm doing here has made my shitty Aromed absolutely kick ass. One person has contacted me privately to indicate that my riser trick has helped him (I assume) achieve the same incredible performance from an underperforming Aromed. It's not an accident.

There is no risk of combustion when I do what I've done in this post.

justcametomind

I didn't follow this thread very well but what you are doing is awesome.
I think you have just a few vapes (or just 2 iirc) but if you had 15 vapes like me or were a hobbyist you would have thought about some different item for the riser, maybe from a different vaporizer.
Instead you thought about dough and that's awesome as it is.
It permits you to experiment in different shapes and then you could contact some accessory maker (or the hardware store) to look for something final.

Aimless Ryan

Last night my glassware fell off the half wall between my kitchen and dining room. Somehow the herb holder came out in one piece, but the filter is toast. I ordered a new filter right away, but I'm gonna need to find a way to make the broken one work for a few days while I wait for the new one to ship. Can flour and water save me again?

KAda7Bh.jpg

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Things like Blu Tac, cloth tape & the like are invaluable for emergency repairs. Hell I have even used candle wax to get an emergency seal in a bind.

It may be worthwhile to speak with OGB about creating you a custom adapter for the Aromed. By doing so you could lift the screen height permanently & create a 14mm male connection. You could then easily interchange the water cooler/ash catcher with a 14mm version. That way you can replace/change up your water filter with considerably cheaper ash catchers & have a standardized joint. If you got a couple of adapters made & purchased a couple of cheap ash catchers you would be set for a long while indeed.

Aimless Ryan

Tape wouldn't have done anything for me here, as there is nothing left to tape anything to. The top part of the water filter is gone. I needed to create a whole new one of those parts AND a nearly-airtight seal AND something to hold the herb holder upright.

What I've created is nowhere near perfect, obviously, but it works. Hopefully I'll have my new filter within a couple days. I really don't want to have to deal with this. This is not an experiment.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Of course tape won't do anything if your joint is broken in 4. I was meaning to apply strips of tape or blobs of blu tac over any cracks of concern.

What I was suggesting in light of the price on Aromed parts in the USA would be to get OGB to make a custom 14mm adapter & then use a standard 14mm ash catcher. Not sure what you are paying for parts but the OEM cooler is around $50USD & $25USD for the stem. Worth thinking about considering how much you invested in the Aromed & the price of a cheap solid 14mm ashcatcher.

X6XYcXEl.jpg

virtualpurple

@Aimless Ryan Please don't ever stop posting here. You have got me following this thread and considering following your footsteps despite having a fair sized collection of vapes already. I think you're going to make this vape a game-changer for alot of people seeking premium performance at an adequate price.

I would love to see other people apply your spacer idea to other vapes and see if it performs similarly (as I expect it will).

You're combining my love of dough with my love of smoking in a manner that won't pack on the LBs and will save me money. You have got my interest held!

TboneToker

Thanks Aimless Ryan. . I see you have found a few friends here. I really liked your idea and decided to copy it with a bolt and a few washers and I'm thinking to get some wooden or glass rings as spacers soon. In the meantime I contacted research and experience and requested them to start selling their smaller sized herb chambers. Basically they sent me a shorter herb chamber last year to test out and after using it I can easily say that they should sell them with the smaller one regularly and allow people who want the larger one to plbuy it separate. In fact they could have three sizes. The short one, the current regular one, and a mini one for extra small doses like Ryan here and people who like to use the aromed at 330 to 350 degrees

Top Bottom