Aromed 4.0

milKmArsh

I finally figured out how to make a functional riser for my screen. All it took was a little flour and water. As a result, I just turned a load of only a few grounds--maybe 0.01 g--very dark.

What did you do exactly? Make a little glue to rub on the side of the herb chamber?

milKmArsh,

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
  1. Add a slightly-heaping spoonful of flour to a kitchen bowl.
  2. Add about a spoonful of water to the bowl.
  3. Stir until it is dough.
  4. If it's sticky (which it probably will be), add a small amount of flour and knead/massage.
  5. Repeat Step 4 until it's no longer sticky, or until it feels about like soft clay.
  6. When your dough is nice and smooth (not lumpy), rip off a piece maybe twice as big as a marble.
  7. Roll it out so it's shaped like a joint, about 2" long.

1. Push down on the middle of the screen in your herb holder to make the screen sorta bowl-shaped.
  2. Remove the screen from herb holder.
  3. Put the joint-shaped dough in your herb holder and make a ring of dough around where the screen would normally be. (Be careful not to get dough into the stem of the herb holder.)
  4. With a finger, press dough against the sides of the herb holder, leaving a large hole in the middle for airflow. You can press it until it's about 1-2 mm thick all the way around.
  5. If you need to, add a little more dough.
  6. When the dough reaches as high as you think it should, insert your screen and push down on the screen with just a little pressure, to seat and level the screen.
  7. Get high.
After a few sessions, the dough will be rock hard (from being baked by the lightbulb's heat), and it will easily come out of the herb holder if you need it to. It will also retain its shape. I'm guessing it can probably be reused indefinitely.

I could say more, but I don't want to be too confusing. If you have any questions, just ask.

I have done this twice so far today. The first riser I made raises the screen 3 or 4 mm above its normal position. The second one I made raises the screen to near the top of the C in "Magic." I really like the results I've gotten from that one so far.

Don't worry if it's not pretty. It doesn't have to be pretty to work.

Aimless Ryan

One thing I really like about this setup is that my herbs don't fly all over the place. They just sit there and turn brown before my eyes.

This is very easy to do. I don't know if it sounds easy in my instructions, but it is. I just like to be as thorough as possible when I share instructions.

EDIT: Here's a pic showing something interesting that happened. First, below the C, you can see my crude riser made of dough. Interestingly, when I dumped some ABV, the screen was pushed up a little by the riser, then it stayed in place. Instead of pushing the screen back down to its intended position, I decided to have a session with the herbs elevated a hair above the C. Very nice.

If you try this, don't expect to see any swirls in the herb holder. But you might blow some big clouds.

fFMi6OX.jpg

Last edited:
Aimless Ryan,

Aimless Ryan

I accidentally combusted last night, for the first time ever. It didn't happen until my screen was above the "i" in "Magic."

Having slept on it, I still like this riser idea; probably even more than I did last night. I couldn't wait to try vaping only a couple grounds after waking up today. In fact, I already have another riser "baking."

If you feel like your Aromed needs some help, @milKmArsh, try this. It's so easy and effective. And for me, it's awesome to know exactly what I have to do to get almost to the point of combustion every time.

Aimless Ryan,
Reactions: milKmArsh

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
seems to me that if your screen is as tight as mine, then you could simply push it down into the herb holder until it's at the desired height.
I forget who said their herb holder/filter connection is fused together, but I have an idea I think will help you separate them very easily. The reason why I haven't shared this before now is because I figured you had already tried everything. However, after reading a thread that began yesterday, regarding essentially the same thing, it has become evident to me that apparently most people never think of this prospective easy solution.

Here's what you need: a piece of rubber/latex.
  1. Put the piece of rubber on your herb holder.
  2. Grab it with all your fingers wrapped around the herb holder and latex.
  3. The two pieces of glass probably came apart before you even tried anything else, so I'm not going to list any more steps.
that would be me... I've tried everything. I've googled how to separate sanded glass pieces and have finally accepted that they are mated for life.

VapeKnight,

Aimless Ryan

Does "everything" include rubber? Rubber gloves? A rubber hot water bottle? A rubber enema reservoir? Rubber anything? If you haven't tried rubber, try rubber.

Not a wet towel. Rubber.

I would love to try it myself with my Aromed glass, but mine doesn't stick together (much).

In the following picture is an Air stem and a hot water bottle (rubber). Nothing I tried helped me get the mouthpiece off of the glass. Until I tried this rubber hot water bottle. Then the mouthpiece came off like it wasn't even attached. I am not even slightly exaggerating. When the mouthpiece came off, it felt like it had never been attached. Entirely because of the friction between the rubber and the glass, which does not exist between glass and human skin.

Please give this a try. If it doesn't work, tell me it didn't work.

HNGE81t.jpg

seems to me that if your screen is as tight as mine, then you could simply push it down into the herb holder until it's at the desired height.

That has worked for me before. In fact, that's what happened in my picture a few posts back. But most of the time it doesn't do that, or it is very crooked, because the glass has a smaller diameter everywhere except where the screen is supposed to be. Crooked doesn't work.

EDIT: Here are my first three risers. Oldest left, newest right. They're all tilted about 30°, toward me. The one on the right allows a lot more swirling air than the others. I think I know why, but I'm going to keep it to myself for now. I have another one baking right now. Also, I think I figured out an easier way to do it this time.

XuFk5n6.jpg

Last edited:
Aimless Ryan,

Aimless Ryan

So anyway, having had another 24 hours to think about it, I can say all that stuff I've been doing works wonderfully; the riser trick and the glass trick. Because of those ugly little solidified pieces of dough, I now know how to get high, with very little material. And I do it in a few quick hits, instead of sitting there for half an hour wondering if anything is happening, as I've done for the previous five months.

It also seems to have instantly helped cut my daily dosage considerably. Changed everything.

Aimless Ryan,

Aimless Ryan

Oh yeah. Two very good reasons why I wouldn't want to rely on the screen's tight fit to keep it in an elevated position within the herb holder:
  1. If the screen is not level, the herbs won't ever be located in the middle of the cylinder, where all the useful heat is. (If you haven't tried this, it's very difficult to keep a screen level without also having something below it to hold it in place.)
  2. If the suspended screen doesn't stay level, it may become a trap door, causing unused herbs to drown. Which happened when I tried it that way.

Aimless Ryan,

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
my experimentation has been limited to different temperatures and hot or cold water . since day one, my unit has worked flawlessly and impressed everyone who has tried it. I am glad to hear you are now having some success and hopefully enjoying it to its capabilities.

VapeKnight,

Aimless Ryan

If anyone reading this is unable to remove your herb holder from your water filter, please try the simple rubber solution I shared recently and let us know if it works for you. I'm about 80% sure it will work if you try it. Not because it worked for me, but because it worked for me for a very good reason.

The only time I have ever tried this, it worked. The two times I have suggested it to other people, they didn't even try it, even though every other option they tried failed, and even though this worked for everyone else who has tried it; even though it requires absolutely no work.

Here's the reason why I would like you to report your results: Considering other people have reported being unable to remove their herb holder from their water filter, and because no one has reported a reliable solution yet, I foresee even more people coming here someday, in search of this answer. If we can, why don't we just give it to them now? It might save someone a lot of trouble someday (or to-day).

Aimless Ryan,

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
I did actually try it with high hopes. It didn't work for me. If I pull, twist any harder I fear I may break the glass and find myself in the ER getting stitches...
I have no idea how the two pieces became fused together but at least they are not cracked even after several years, and I have learned how to keep them clean. thanks anyway

VapeKnight,

Aimless Ryan

Just to confirm, you tried it with rubber? Right?

If you didn't try it with rubber, you didn't try it. You still have not confirmed whether or not you tried it with rubber. Until you confirm very clearly that you have tried it with rubber, I can only assume you have not tried it with rubber.

If you haven't tried it, you can't say it didn't work for you.

Last edited:
Aimless Ryan,

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
yes it was rubber. an old hot water bottle, and then a rubber lid opener. I'm not sure what that specifically has to due with it... anything with enough grip on the glass will let you pull hard enough to either break the bond or break the glass.

VapeKnight,

Aimless Ryan

Rubber has everything to do with it. What happens when you put a rubber band in your hair? It gets stuck. That's what rubber does; it sticks to things. By sticking to things like glass and your hands, it makes you 10 or 50 times stronger than you thought you were. It gives you leverage.

I'm still not convinced that you have tried rubber, but I'm done talking about it because I already know how to fix this problem if it happens to me.

Aimless Ryan,

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
yes rubber has a lot of friction, but it doesn't have magic. anything that does not slip on glass is enough to pull VERY hard . I'm convinced that somehow the glass joint has become fused. I've left it soaking in solvents and even tried putting the herb holder into ice then heating the water holder. no luck. there are many youtube videos on how to loosen frosted and sanded glass connection and none have worked. many more scientific and detailed than gripping with RUBBER...

VapeKnight,

Aimless Ryan

OK, don't do it. I don't need you to do it. But just don't say it didn't work when you didn't even try it.

Your glass is probably not fused together. It's glass, not chocolate. Glass is a rock. Rocks do not melt at stoner temperatures.

No, "anything that does not slip on glass" is not enough. "Anything that does not slip on glass" is not the same thing as rubber, unless it's rubber.

Your problem is not caused by lack of solvents. Solvents do not address the problem. Heat does not address the problem. Those things did not work for you for the same reason those things didn't work for anyone else with a serious sticking problem like yours.

You obviously have not tried what I asked you to try. If you had tried it, you would have simply answered yes when I asked you a very clear yes/no question. And you're obviously not going to try it, even though it works for everyone who tries it. Just please don't go telling everyone it didn't work for you when you didn't even try it.

Everyone else: This works if you actually try it. It's not magic; it's just how shit works.

EDIT:
many more scientific and detailed than gripping with RUBBER...

Complicated does not equal scientific. Scientific does not equal complicated. If there was anything scientific about the methods you have tried, everything would've worked, and everyone would get the same results. Every single time.

Kinda like I have.

One person getting the same results every time is not scientific, either. But when different people get the exact same results by doing the exact same thing(s), that's scientific. And that's exactly what I see every time I see someone mention having used rubber to help them separate "fused" glass.

Last edited:
Aimless Ryan,

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
let's get a few things straight. first, I did try it ! don't call me a liar !! second, you're not my mother , don't speak to me this way. maybe you have a rubber fetish that you're not telling us about... I actually tried it AGAIN last night just to be fair. NOTHING !!!!! believe me when I say I would love to have these come apart but they are STUCK. very early on someone has suggested putting various lubricants on the the connections to avoid sticking. I used olive oil. I don't know if this is the culprit but the glass has been stuck ever since. I love my aromed but this thread bores me

VapeKnight,

Aimless Ryan

OK, man. So you tried it and it didn't work. That's all I hoped you (or anyone with that problem) would do, in an effort to see if we can solve a common unsolved problem with the Aromed. We didn't. (Still, it has worked for everyone who tried it without expecting it to fail.)

I know very well what hot olive oil does (because I have successfully seasoned many pizza pans). It doesn't make anything fuse to anything else. Also, small amounts of oil that have been heated to well above the oil's smoke point (350°F-ish) condense into a thin black film (seasoning).

Oil can get very sticky when things coated with oil are left at room temperature or hotter (without going over the smoke point). Based on what you have told me, I'm inclined to believe the only thing wrong with your glassware is that it's kind of sticky. I feel pretty confident that if you let it soak in hot (soapy?) water for a while (to get all the shit off), you'll easily be able to separate the two pieces of glass... as long as you use a fairly thin piece of rubber to create leverage that does not exist between glass and skin, or glass and cloth.

Last edited:
Aimless Ryan,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I just deleted five posts that were off topic and broke several rules. Please keep this thread about the Aromed and the Aromed only. Further OT posts will be removed.

Also, do not insult, belittle or harass fellow members. If you see a post that you think breaks the rules, report it. If you feel you need to reply, use PMs.

Thank you.

:peace:

Aimless Ryan

If there's anyone out there who actually wants to be able to remove an herb holder from a water filter, this will most likely work for you. It worked for me, and it has worked for everyone I know of who has tried it.
  1. Take one piece of soft rubber and basically wrap it around the herb holder.
  2. Squeeze with all fingers and thumb (and palm).
  3. Twist and pull.
  4. You're done.
hSCNfOl.jpg

The main key to success is to make sure you wrap all your fingers around the rubber so there is a lot of surface area contact and pressure between the rubber and the glass. (I wasn't able to show this very well in my picture.)

Wish I could share a better picture, but I only have two hands, and one of them had to take the picture.

EDIT: You need to hold the water filter with your other hand, of course. No rubber necessary for the filter.

Last edited:
Aimless Ryan,

Aimless Ryan

I have done some unique experimenting lately, accidentally. For some reason I decided to start pointing my IR thermometer at the herb holder while using my Aromed.

Somehow I noticed consistent changes, or trends, in the temperature readings and how they correlated with my method of operation.

My operation repertoire consists of two different draw styles: a slow draw and a fairly fast draw. Regardless of which draw style I use, I always start off by drawing very slowly for at least a few seconds, to let the lightbulb reach full intensity.

One important thing I think I just learned by doing this is that a fast draw is a lot hotter than a slow draw.

Here's why I say fast draws are hotter than slow draws:
  • When I point the thermometer at a specific spot on my herb holder, then take a long, slow draw, the thermometer's temperature reading remains about the same throughout the draw.
  • When I point the thermometer at the exact same spot on my herb holder, then take a considerably faster draw (after drawing slowly for the first few seconds), the thermometer's temperature reading increases considerably throughout the draw.

Aimless Ryan,

Aimless Ryan

Doing this makes me realize my Aromed is pretty useless when I don't do it.

wpgArAO.jpg

When I place the screen just a hair or two above the "i" in "Magic," as pictured, my Aromed does what I feel it should do without modification.

I would love for someone else to try this and let me know how it works for you. I would advise starting out at a much lower temperature than 456, though, in case your lightbulb gets hotter than mine.

Aimless Ryan

So anyway, doing this makes my Aromed kick ass. This is no longer an experiment; this is how I use it.

My average load is now 0.01-0.02 g, and my maximum load is around 0.05 g. I now get a big cloud on the very first hit every time, and I seem to get two or three good hits for every 0.01 g. Also, my herbs don't go flying everywhere whenever I draw.

I no longer have to wonder if my Aromed works for me. It does. And now I know it never worked before. Ever. The difference is night and day. As a result, my Air goes almost unused now. (Prior to a week ago, I probably used the Air more than I used the Aromed.)

With the screen at the level shown in my most recent picture, I come very close to combusting (at 456). Yet even at that temperature, the vapor does not seem harsh to me.

What I think I like most about my new system is that it does the job quickly. As a result, I can feel confident that my herbs have been heated to about the temperature I want them heated.

Also, I am now able to use finely-ground herbs, which seems to be the right thing to do.

I would suggest trying this. If you do, I bet you'll like the results. You may not have to set the screen as high as I do, but don't be afraid to try.

Tip: If you try this with the screen pretty far up, like I've been doing, use only a pinch of herbs (or about 0.01 g). That way if you accidentally combust, it won't be a big loss, and you'll know how high is too high.

Top Bottom