• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Aromed 4.0

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
Believe it or not, I think I'm actually starting to prefer very small loads. This is a kinda crappy picture, as always, but I tried. It's about 0.03 or 0.04 g. (You can see the crack on the upper left area of my herb holder. Hopefully that won't get any worse.)

mkwYeWo.jpg

I decided to take another picture, from a different angle. Same load.

YpVr9C8.jpg

@luchiano I hope everything is all right, considering you seem to have disappeared all of a sudden.

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
That actually smaller than I would use. I like to cover the screen. That crack doesn't look good :( If you turn on the lamp before connecting it to the glass the Teflon will expand and loosen which will put less pressure when you connect

VapeKnight,

Aimless Ryan

I can't remember anyone having tried this, so I'm going to try this right now. If not obvious from the picture, this is a 0.09 g nugget, unground.

S8tBMPB.jpg

And another picture, from a slightly different angle. It's hard to get good pictures because the light is always either too dim or too bright. (And probably also/mostly because I am a horrible photographer.)

hNNmY2N.jpg

EDIT: As you may have suspected, this doesn't seem to have worked. At all. I'm probably gonna have to grind it and do it the right way.

Last edited:
Aimless Ryan,

luchiano

@Aimless Ryan Everything's OK with me, I've just been real busy. I've been reading the posts though, and I see you've come around to liking the small loads. They come in handy when your stash gets low. I see you broke the glass, you should get the mesh connections I mentioned in an earlier post because they will keep your glass stable, and immovable, making it harder to break your glass.

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
I seem to have better extraction with all my vapes using ground herb rather than a nug, including my herbalaire, even though they recommend it.
I need to stop checking these threads in the morning. It makes for a long day waiting to get home and vape...

Aimless Ryan

Yeah, that didn't work at all. Don't do that. Although I never expected it to work, I still wanted to give it a try, because sometimes things you don't expect to work (for good reason) end up working great.

I have settled into a pattern of using 0.17 or 0.18 g per load. That's just enough to cover the screen, with maybe a few little spots where the screen is not fully covered.

Even though I have changed my mind a whole bunch of times about how much to use per load, I feel like I am starting to prefer that size load most of the time. There are some reasons why I would like to use a bigger load, and there are some reasons why I would like to use a smaller load, but 0.17 g seems to give me a nice halfway point.

I have begun discarding my herbs as soon as it starts becoming difficult to extract any visible vapor from them, at 456. I didn't realize this for a while, but the ABV when I do it this way is very close in color to the herbs I started out with. And it's not just an illusion, either. When I re-vaped a small bit of this ABV with my Air, it gave me what felt like a normal session. I was blowing big clouds at 356.

If there's anyone here who has also kept up with the Eating ABV thread, I'm probably going to have a bit to say in that thread soon about this ABV.

The following picture contains fresh herbs (in the grinder), as well as Aromed ABV (in the container). I also dumped at least one load from my Air, which I vaped at 410. If you look closely, you can see pieces of that load, which are very dark. (I believe I have concluded that the temperature indication on the Aromed really doesn't mean much. If it did, then all of this ABV would be at least as dark as those dark pieces.)

DI8G7Z9.jpg

I can't wait to eat some of this stuff. I haven't had much luck eating ABV yet, but I think it's mostly because the ABV I've eaten has been much darker than this. This stuff has already treated me well once. I'm inclined to think it might do it again whenever I swallow it.

Aimless Ryan,

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
I usually vape at 375 and my ABV tends to look darker than yours ??? I also stop when it seems like there is very little visible vapor in the herb holder.
as for eating the ABV, there are some great recipes here on FC. The only one I tried was called something like a firecracker. It used peanut butter and ABV in the microwave. Very effective.

ABV milkshake thread

Last edited by a moderator:
VapeKnight,

Aimless Ryan

Well, I have been happy with the Aromed's performance ever since I changed the lightbulb. That is, I feel like I'm getting good results from the herbs I put in it. Which I guess is why I didn't realize the ABV was coming out so greenish. (Well, that and the fact that the brightness and color of the halogen bulb screws with my eyes, as well as the fact that I'm still using less than half a gram per day, even though I have mostly been using the Aromed recently.)

I don't know. Maybe there is something wrong with my machine. If so, I guess it's a good thing that I keep documenting these things here.

I have been thinking about trying another load of about half a gram, though, now that I'm accustomed to fairly small loads. I'm sure if I try a larger load, the ABV will come out noticeably darker. (That's just a hypothesis.)

But even if so, that's not an explanation for anything. Because you and others get darker ABV with small loads.

Aimless Ryan,

Aimless Ryan

Since my ABV has been so greenish of late, which seems to correlate with the fact that I have only used either small or fairly small loads lately (<0.18 g), I decided I should try another large load (0.5 g, pictured below).

uybKsgj.jpg

I expect this ABV to end up considerably darker than the ABV in the picture I shared a few posts back, considering the top of this load is a few millimeters closer to the light than my recent maximum loads have been.

I want to add that I may have made a little bit of semi-conscious effort recently to end up with greener ABV than usual. I can't say for sure that I have, but I think I probably have. As some of you may already know, I have been very interested in experimenting with eating ABV. And I learned a lot the last couple days (from having eaten a considerable amount of ABV each of the last two days).

Most of the ABV I have eaten so far has been very dark, which I'm sure means it is much less potent than relatively green ABV. Regardless, eating dark ABV made my last two days very pleasant, which almost never happens. Considering the success I have had eating dark ABV, I've really been wanting to try eating greener ABV. Which I intend to do within the next week or so.

Since this load is bigger than my average daily intake, I suppose I probably won't have much more to say about it until at least tomorrow.

Aimless Ryan,

lazylathe

Almost there...
@Aimless Ryan

If you want to really utilize your spent ABV i would recommend making a coconut oil base out of it.
This way you extract almost all the left over goodies and it is WAY more potent than just eating ABV.

Get a small crock pot, place coconut oil in it and your ABV, heat to a very low simmer and allow to fester for as long as possible. Usually 12 hours is good but i like to leave mine going for about a week and i keep adding ABV to it during the cook. When you are ready, strain all the ABV out using a very fine mesh screen or even better use cheese cloth.
You will be left with a brownish/green oil, this is what you want to cook with.
Alternatively you can also just eat/mix the oil with whatever you have at hand.

If you are going to make edibles with it, find a recipe that uses about a 1/2 to 3/4 cup of oil. Lots of brownie recipes use this much. Bake low and let cool.
Cut into 1" squares and start with a 1/2 square, wait an hour to gauge strength and take more if required.

If your ABV is not too spent a 1/2 square will do you!

Oh and i managed to crack my herb holder as well...
I wish it was not such a pain to seat the lamp...

Aimless Ryan

I have been using coconut oil, for maybe the last two or three tries. It's hard to say for sure, but the coconut oil seems to have made a difference. At least with the stuff I ate the last two days, I left the coconut oil and ABV over a low flame for several hours, then placed the pan in my freezer for a while to solidify the coconut oil. Left it in the fridge after that.

It doesn't bother me to leave ABV in the coconut oil.

Aimless Ryan,
Reactions: lazylathe

Aimless Ryan

Here is what remains of the 0.5 grams of herbs I loaded yesterday, nestled among ABV I have collected from smaller Aromed loads (<0.18 g). Similar to when I use smaller loads, I dumped the ABV as soon as I stopped exhaling clouds for a few consecutive draws after stirring the herbs.

e6DBdmr.jpg

There are some things I like about large loads, and there are some things I don't like about large loads.

What I do like: I am able to vape at a temperature I think is probably closer to the Aromed's displayed temperature, which may not be possible when I use smaller loads (due to defect?).

What I don't like: Since the herbs closest to the light are fully vaped before a large percentage of the herbs even start being vaped, the herbs begin to taste like ABV long before the load is anywhere near finished.

Aimless Ryan,

Wizsteve

Hey all ,been doing some searching or researching on upgrading or tweaking it .So far not found what i was looking for but did find a possible upgrade to the normal bulb .

Anyways i was looking for a bulb at 6500k instead of being 3000k any one ever see one ?

in my search i did find a bulb 200 luminous flux higher what would this mean? more heat? or deeper heat?

anyways heres the specs

HALOSTAR PRO 50 W 12 V GY6.35

Nominal wattage 50.0 W
Nominal voltage 12.0 V
Rated wattage 50.00 W
Claimed equiv. conventional lamp power 75 W
Power factor λ 1.00
Photometrical data
Nominal luminous flux 1180 lm
Color temperature 3000 K
Light color (designation) Warm White
Rated luminous flux 1180 lm
Color rendering index Ra 100

Dimensions & weight
Diameter 12.0 mm
Overall length 44.0 mm
Light center length (LCL) 30.0 mm
Length 44.0 mm
Outer bulb E12
Maximum diameter 12.0 mm
Lifespan
Nominal lamp life time 4000 h
Rated lamp life time 4000 h
Number of switching cycles 100000 1)
Lumen main.fact.at end of nom.life time 0.80
Additional product data
Base (standard designation) GY6.35
Lamp mercury content 0.0 mg
Mercury-free Yes
Capabilities
Burning position Any
Dimmable Yes

Certificates & standards
Energy efficiency class B ( standard is a class C )
Energy consumption 53 kWh/1000h

Last edited:
Wizsteve,

Wizsteve

than I read this Benefits of IRC Energy Saver halogen technology:
* Up to 65% cost savings
* More than double the average life of standard halogen lamps
* The luminous intensity and color perception remain constant throughout the life of the lamp
* Higher luminous efficacy
* Lower thermal output
* Lower power consumption

So less heat but brighter light so when replacing the bulbs make sure they are not IRC ,Ended up going with this one
shopping
looks to me this one will work better heat will be forced down

Wizsteve,

Aimless Ryan

I don't know anything about lightbulbs, nor do I want to experiment with lightbulbs at this point. However, I am curious to hear anything you have to say about your experience(s).

Also, because of what I think I learned from my recent 0.5 g load, I believe I am going to have to start using bigger loads than the 0.17 g loads I thought I was beginning to prefer.

As backwards/stupid as this may seem, with a recent load I started out with 0.17 g, then added another 0.1 g or 0.15 g once I felt like I couldn't get anything else from the original 0.17 g. (I'm not going to try to explain this right now, but this actually does make a little bit of sense; at least with my particular machine, which I'm beginning to think again may have some kind of defect.)

I think my current load is about 0.3 g. It doesn't feel like this size load ends up being piled high enough to reach the temperature zone I may prefer.

Aimless Ryan,

Wizsteve

That one was a Sylvania 58675 - 50T4Q/CL 12V Bi Pin Base Single Ended Halogen Light Bulb (930 Lumens)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171434990607?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It's $7 with shipping lowest price I could find
if anyone else needs a possible upgrade or would like to help test these bulbs out
Comparing to the Osram 64440s (900 Lumens)
PROs:
1. the Filament (coil) is horizontal and has a reflector directing the light towards your herb
Cons: Couldn't find any

Comparing to the Osram 64440 (910 Lumens)
Pros:
1. Has a reflector directing the light towards your herb
Cons: none found

Oddest thing is just 10 more watts it jumps up to 1400 Lumens would it run it without messing things up?
higher the lumens the deeper the light could go thru ,however heat is what's also increased
would this allow Aromed to keep up with a faster draw?

Ryan if possible try with some purple bud (darker the better) or mix in some oil I think that's what your missing some good oil the oil acts as a buffer for the bud.

Can try the bead trick buy a glass bead from craft store and place it in the tubing make sure hole isn't blocked on bead this will reduce the air flow a lot .

Also Ryan if you can buy a iolite optimizer place on top of the screen this will help even out the heat.

Btw which bulb did you end up getting?

iolite-optimizer.jpg

Last edited:
Wizsteve,

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
My concerns with changing the bulb would be compatibility and accuracy . I'm still using the original bulb that came with the Aromed. It's over 3 years old and working great. I don't see the point of changing to a more powerful bulb over raising the temperature on the Aromed unless you need it to vape higher than the maximum output. My unit seems to have fairly uniform ABV coloration and I rarely vape above 490 F. A higher output bulb would not correspond to the temperature displayed on the Aromed and I do like knowing the temp

VapeKnight,

Aimless Ryan

@VapeKnight Although I think you only mentioned me once, I felt like a lot of the things you said were directed toward me. Since I'm not sure, I'll respond to the things I think were directed to me.

Ryan if possible try with some purple bud (darker the better) or mix in some oil I think that's what your missing some good oil the oil acts as a buffer for the bud.

I actually had some purple bud earlier this year. I think I get what you're saying here (darkness attracts heat), and I still have a little bit of the purple stuff left (specifically because it's crap). Probably not enough to learn anything from it, though. Unfortunately, I don't really have any options right now, regarding strains. I buy whatever my guy has, and I'm very lucky to even have a guy.

Please vote yes on Issue 3, Ohio. There are many thousands of Ohioans who need medicine but can't get it. I think voting yes is clearly the right thing to do, even if it doesn't directly benefit yourself (because it most certainly does not hurt you).

Btw which bulb did you end up getting?

If that question is directed at me, I bought whatever bulb I was supposed to buy, as far as I know. I provided a link to the Amazon page not long ago. From what I remember, @luchiano confirmed that I bought the right bulb (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011LCUBLI/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I think I understand the purpose of the tool in your picture. I've read that Pizza Hut used something like that years ago to make the inside of their Priazzo pizzas bake faster.

I'm not going to screw with my bulb. If someone else wants to experiment that way, I'd be very interested in their results, but I'm most likely not going to be that person.

Aimless Ryan,

Wizsteve

well still waiting on the bulb ordered another from a different source so no matter what I should get one next week.

@VapeKnight Bulbs can be tricky for this one we need a 50 watt 12 volt bi pin bulb the base is gy6.35
So what does gy6.35 mean? well we start with the gy is the length of the pins and 6.35? is the distance in-between the pins .with bulbs we want the coil to be transverse (hort) and not axial (vert) .

https://images.tradeservice.com/9ETBOIYK8205G6UU/ATTACHMENTS/DIR100101/OOSRAME04343_14_15_26_27.pdf

I actually had some purple bud earlier this year. I think I get what you're saying here (darkness attracts heat), and I still have a little bit of the purple stuff left (specifically because it's crap). Probably not enough to learn anything from it, though. Unfortunately, I don't really have any options right now, regarding strains. I buy whatever my guy has, and I'm very lucky to even have a guy.

Please vote yes on Issue 3, Ohio. There are many thousands of Ohioans who need medicine but can't get it. I think voting yes is clearly the right thing to do, even if it doesn't directly benefit yourself (because it most certainly does not hurt you).

Dam that sucks well perhaps when its legal there ask for afpak. We had some purple kush here that hit 29% thc but i'm not paying 80 a quarter lol.

I use a volcano oil pad in mine a few little pieces of shatter wax or whatever melted in the screen adds so much vapor when vaping your herbs .

And that tool well its like docking your pizza skins adds fluffy air and remains hot good on big loads.

Wizsteve,

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
I think its a shame that we are such a small group of Aromed enthusiasts . I use mine as the benchmark for all other vapes to measure against. I just wish more people here on FC knew just how fantastic this thing is. I don't get to use mine nearly as often as I would like due to family, but when I do, it quickly reminds me why its Alfa vape.

VapeKnight,

Wizsteve

Yea they are really missing out since the heat is from above you can add as much oil ,wax, shatter, hash as you want it won't melt and end up in the core lol.

AS I use this I see many ways to upgrade the glass wear so far I came up with 3 ( need glass blowers)
of them my self stirring idea I think would be the biggest hit ( as you inhale it stirs inhale too fast you get a mini hurricane or vortex of weed lol )adding fins inside the bowl to force it to spin .

Wizsteve,

Aimless Ryan

@Wizsteve It just occurred to me that the optimizer might actually be really useful to me, but perhaps in a different way than you were thinking. If I bought an optimizer and some Aromed screens, I might be able to more easily place a screen securely at a more appropriate distance from the lightbulb than the current level of my screen. I don't know the dimensions of the optimizer, but it looks like it might be about 1/2" tall by 1/2" in diameter. Am I in the ballpark?

I bet I could get something to serve that function for a dollar at a hardware store. I would have no idea what to look for if I went to a hardware store, though.

Aimless Ryan,

Wizsteve

Hey Ryan its about 1/4" so about half that.

Well got the new bulbs today was a little better next to try the UV ones :science: 1600 lumens more real heat
its UVA and UVB so produces good amount of solar heat with a few drawbacks... Looking at the Bulbs Directly will make one go blind. (( OK I meant when the unit is on :lol:)) And of course one would never do that even if one was stoned;). Lifespan of the UV bulbs ? Well that's the catch its only 50 hours. And ohh yea they might well explode, shatter if mistreated gas inside is hi pressure instead of low pressure.(( ok got it so no bare fingers when placing in ,So need treat it as a mini HPS light))

cost ? about $1.5-$2 each

Working on a few ideas looking for ways to reflect the heat/light back to center. I can buy ceramic sleeves that would fit around the outside I was thinking foil than sleeve and using the foil to keep the sleeve in place.

Another Idea was the magnifier glass I seen these before there small would fit in with the light
would focus in one spot for concentrates .

Now my latest idea hmm I might be on to something here what if I just reflect the light back to the herb I would guess the heat would follow? So simple just had to vape some panama red to see it.SO here it is a small circle mirror (can also be found in a craft store) will lay on the screen you lay your herb on the mirror to vape .More pure taste? herb wouldn't touch any metal .

I bet I could get something to serve that function for a dollar at a hardware store. I would have no idea what to look for if I went to a hardware store, though.

I would try a craft store look at there beads and crystals or even just buy some clay make it the size you need than poke holes thru the clay and than just fire it. (use a fire pit or bbq grill for firing place directly on the coals)Well while your at it you could make nice clay holder for the glass like a giant mushroom or something glaze it and than there that weird soft clay I see around pipes.

Last edited:

Aimless Ryan

Since I haven't figured out a good way to adjust the screen height inside the herb holder (yet), I have reverted to trying large loads once again (to position the top of each load closer to the heat source). The load I've been working on weighs 0.6 g, and it reaches about as high as the bottom of the "C" on the herb holder.

Although I'd rather be able to try placing herbs closer to the light in a different way (without stacking it atop more herbs), I am going to try 0.7 g of herbs with my next load, without modifying anything. Even though my Aromed seems to be working relatively well in ways, it's clear that the temperature inside my herb holder is not even close to the temperature displayed on the machine.

I have to figure I'm going to end up trying to exchange this unit. I'd rather not have to put myself through the hassle, but it just keeps becoming clearer to me that my Aromed is probably defective.

Aimless Ryan,

Wizsteve

Well i am still playing around with mine i try another bulb or two ,so far best uses for the aromed 4.0 is oil,wax shatter stuff.

Oddly with mine the biggest hit only happens when i draw really fast instead of the normal slow long hit.

@Aimless Ryan I believe its the glass bowl causing the problem too much heat loss the glass is too thin
and most likely the wrong type lol ( should refect the heat & light).Than add the water factor is my vapor being sucked into the water?.

So I been searching and at first i wanted them on the outside but bowl shape on the outside messed that idea up. But you know i think on the inside might be better after all.
Cerimic sleeves

sle01_01.jpg

Looks something like that would go inside the bowl keeping the heat inside the bowl and off the glass

Also Ryan have you tried any glass jacks? any head shop would have these place a few on top of the screen and than add your herbs.

glasspipescreensjacks-400x400.jpg

Have you played with placing your fingers over the carb holes?Seems to help if i cover one.

JUst too much aair being mixed for my taste missing a O ring i think i am used some that pipe tape stuff to seal it up some worked so much better so i am missing a o ring it seems

Last edited:
Top Bottom