Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

Phizix

My CRZ also has this "rattling" noise that sounds like a couple small bb's rolling around inside near the bottom.

I run mine on a 13.5v adapter for hours at a time and leave in on the 12v overnight. It is plugged in 24/7.

My wood (maple) has gotten a little scorched and darkened in places near the top and there are some slight cosmetic cracks in the wood inside near the heater port where it is unfinished.

I have dropped my zap on the floor numerous times and it has a couple small dings on the outside wood.

My CRZ still functions flawlessly and none of these issues are significant enough to make me want to be without it for 1 second. This is simply the perfect vaporizer for me. Every time I consider buying another vape I always just come back to the CRZ.

Phizix,

Rick

Zapman
That "couple small BBs' rolling around in the bottom could be pieces if the tubular glass beads we use to insulate one heater wire that may have partially broke with the excessive heat and dropping. Nothing about the Zap likes 13.5 volt transformers. They still function at 13.5 and seem to be able to take the extra voltage but they do not like it, especially the wood. At 12 volts they hum along and perform very well. AZs are at home at 12 volts. Push them over 12 and there can be consequences you may not like. if the noise is from the glass beads, they will not go anywhere or cause any damage. They cannot be sucked into the heatport area in any way.
I should be smiling, which I am in a way, because we have been told of a CRZ consistently being run on 13.5 for many hours a day and it is still functioning very well, even after many drops. And still no combustion, even at 13.5. Not bad..................
We do not recommend using a 13.5 with CRZs. You also should not run stop signs.
Phizix, thank you for your mini review that was actually very comprehensive. Glad you are another Happy Zappy.

In the 12 volt arena, there are some incredible things happening with Zaps these days regarding MMJ patients in Arizona. Medical Marijuana delivered via vapor is helping many very sick folks out there. We are very happy to have a small part in some of it. Thanks again Vito.

edit: for tree and other attentive members. Good job! I do take my words seriously. Thank you again Mr Ambrosi of the mid-50's for a super foundation. Your big stick worked.

Rick,

treecityrnd

You have a Zap running on 13.5 but you don't recommend it? Now that's just a tease, Rick. Keep smiling ;)

I'm going to go break the speed limit. Call the Feds!

I will chronicle Ricks unbelievable customer service once I get some time this weekend. As mom pointed out...above any beyond anything I could ever dream.

treecityrnd,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I have a 13v even adapter that Rik was gracious enough to hook me up with back in the day. That said, with my old style zap, it wasn't needed after the wood was seasoned and worked in IMO. But for those who like hotter temps., 13v even is better than 13.5v IMO. Maybe one day ill dig it out and get it into the hands of someone who can use it.....

IAmKrazy2,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Krazy, it is good to see you here in this thread. Maybe one of these days, you'll try the CRZ? I think you will be pleasantly surprised. :D

momofthegoons,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
While reluctant to help a Lions fan (Go Bears), Mom is right Krazy. These are a class above others I have tried, IMO.

Magic9,

Phizix

Thanks Rick, I just wanted to show that even using CRZ's past their intended limits (too much heat for too long) they still function flawlessly.

I switch back and forth a lot between the 12v and 13.5v adapters. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I think that the next CRZ I buy will run a 12v only so that I can preserve its looks and have my original CRZ as the workhorse that gets abused for the 13.5v sessions.

Its obvious that the CRZ was built for 12v. When you pull through 12v you feel very little heat and virtually no irritation in your throat and the hits are a lot lighter and tastier. The 12v is great during the day (energetic and heady) and the 13.5 bumps it up into more sedative territory that feels more like traditional smoking without all the tar and gunk. 13.5 is also better with a bong since you can get such thick, potent rips. The 13.5 does get too hot to comfortably wrap your hand around after about an hour or two whereas the 12v is always comfortable to hold for me. You also have to be more careful not to burn yourself on the stainless steel stem tips, heater core, or the metal ring where the adapter plugs into the zap because they get much hotter with the 13.5.

My girlfriend is a cigarette smoker and she will know if its on the 12v and will ask me to switch it to the 13.5, especially after we have vaped a few stems already. It tastes better on 12v but its just flat out "stronger" on 13.5. If you are trying to get vaped fast then 13.5 is definitely the way to go but it does get hot and irritating on your throat after a while. I like to slowly enjoy the 12v stems over the course of 6-10 pulls while working on the computer during the day and then we usually switch over to the 13.5 when its couch time after 7pm.

When I introduce people to the CRZ its usually on the 13.5 if they are seasoned. While the 12v is great, people used to smoking will initially want those sedative effects associated with higher temps.

Another lil "trick" I like is having your CRZ fully heated on 12v then plug in a 13.5 and immediately start pulling on a fresh stem. You will get to hit it as the temp is raising and get some interesting flavors and effects from all the different temps as is raises the heat up to the 13.5 peak. At least thats what I tell myself.

I just love that there is the option to run different temps on these, even if its not necessarily supposed to be that way :). Just keep in mind that using the 13.5v WILL MOST LIKELY cause more cracks, discoloration, and rattling, all of which are totally worth it imo.

Also thanks to Vito for the cotton swab/oil trick, I do it all the time now. The CRZ won't scorch cotton even pulling as hard as you can through a bong on 13.5!

Phizix,

max

Out to lunch
Phizix said:
While the 12v is great, people used to smoking will initially want those sedative effects associated with higher temps.
I didn't. IMO, if you don't make it a point to stay in the low to medium range for a while when you first try vapor, while avoiding high temps and smoking, it's harder to ever appreciate the cleaner high that's so different from the smoke high. Just because it's vapor, that doesn't mean you always avoid the toxins usually associated with smoke. Also, starting low to mid range and moving up in temp, instead of starting high to begin with, provides a wider range of effects and makes your herb last longer. Of course, that applies to a variable temp model more than this type. Personally, my opinion is that if you want higher temps than the CRZ provides with 12V, a variable temp model is the way to go anyway.

max,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
As a long term smoker, I had no trouble with the transition. The effects between smoking and the CRZ, are minuscule if any (IMO having only compared the two with one strain). With that said, I considered the 13.5 just for comparison.

The new 12v DC that ships with them now, is supposed to run hotter. So when I order our 2nd CRZ in the upcoming days, I'll probably order another 12v DC just in case I want both of them to run a little hotter. I don't really see the need, but the option to run a little cooler (12vAC) or a little warmer (12vDC) is very appealing. Especially without the risks that the 13.5 brings.

Update: Although completely happy with the effects, my ABV was coming out a few shades lighter than the HA. I've since started grinding finer, and getting ABV very, very close to the HA. While the effects are about the same, I'm getting an extra htt or two, which is always nice.

Magic9,

treecityrnd

Thanks for the update Magic. Are your results with the new DC or the AC?

BTW - Lions will make the playoffs this weekend ;)

treecityrnd,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
momofthegoons said:
Krazy, it is good to see you here in this thread. Maybe one of these days, you'll try the CRZ? I think you will be pleasantly surprised. :D

Hey Mom, barely recognized you with the new haircut, or I mean picture change. :)
Can't remember the old one off the top of my head but i know it is different.

I did look at those mighty Rockzappers online, and they do look mighty fine. Pardon me not knowing, but what does the C stand for in CRZ? Haven't followed this or the PD thread in a while. While they do look very nice, can't really justify one right now, although i would sure love to try one... My old zap is at a friends house, and has been for years. It stays on in his basement all the time, and i know he often sneaks down there for a stem or two. Last time i was there we both snuck down for about 6 or 7 stems each. Still rocking hard, and as beautiful as i remember.

@Mom, i also read your comments in the PD thread. I was around still following the thread religiously for the whole incident with Tom and you, and although i don't remember exactly what was said, i am certain that portions were edited out later. I understand completely why you made the decision you did... You're a good and loyal customer to have, and i do think missing out on multiple sales in units and accessories, along with a loyal fan and advocate, was a miss PD Land. But in the end, you are one of the AZ voices of customer satisfaction and i am sure that has gone a long way here. You two here seem to make a better match in customer and consumer satisfaction. Tom did sometimes certainly play favorites, and i was lucky to be in the minority.

IAmKrazy2,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
treecityrnd said:
Thanks for the update Magic. Are your results with the new DC or the AC?

BTW - Lions will make the playoffs this weekend ;)

My results are with the same (old) 12v AC. Just using a finer grind. I should have some DC results in next week or two after I order CRZ #2. Now which one's calling my name lol.

Magic9,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Thank you for your kind words Krazy. Yeah, he really blew it with me. He could have had a ton of sales; 6 to me alone. But, I found my happy place here in Zapville. And you are right; Rick and I (and the Zaplady too!) get along famously. :D They are such good people.

Hope you do get a chance to check out one of these new Zaps. They are leaps and bounds beyond the original brass unit (I know... my first one was the original model; still love it) that you have. The ceramic blanket has made it so that Rick can use almost any type of wood. This means wonderful choices. And, they run warmer so more is extracted and there are bigger, fuller hits. I'm looking to get yet another... what can I say? :lol:

momofthegoons,

THCMuscle

I'm finding that after getting the normal 3-5 or so hits off of a 1/4 stem my herb is still mostly green. I really have to spend a while drawing incredibly slowly to achieve completely brown/yellow ABV, usually past any visual vapor.. Is this in line with most other people running CRZ's on the old 12v power supply?

I've noticed a tendancy for the herb to brown more thouroughly with a more full 75%-100% stem.

THCMuscle,

SD_haze

THCMuscle said:
I'm finding that after getting the normal 3-5 or so hits off of a 1/4 stem my herb is still mostly green. I really have to spend a while drawing incredibly slowly to achieve completely brown/yellow ABV, usually past any visual vapor.. Is this in line with most other people running CRZ's on the old 12v power supply?

I've noticed a tendancy for the herb to brown more thouroughly with a more full 75%-100% stem.

I stopped having any issues with loads not thoroughly vaporizing by holding the stem in the heat port for a while before hitting it, when it gets to those last few hits.

Definitely can get the remains quite dark brown if I want it to just using the standard 12v

And no marbles rolling around :p

SD_haze,

THCMuscle

I have noticed that. I definitely can achieve brown ABV (not dark though), I just find when I hit my stem till most of the good hits are gone my ABV is rather light, mostly green I'd say. Its really phenomenal because it still gets me slammed and tastes great!

THCMuscle,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Try a finer grind THC. I was having that too, but a pretty fine grind (2 pc SC, 3-4 turns) and a half to full stem gets mine pretty close to the HA.

Magic9,

Pcpvapors

I do what I did with the MFLB, a coarser grind to start 5 or so hits later dump it and break it up finer with fingers or crush between two cards and go again. Worked great

Pcpvapors,

hunterthompson

Hey all,

I was having issues running my CRZ through water. For some reason no matter what I do I can't get any visibly vapor building up in the tube. At first I thought it might be the bong I was using (I was using the cheapo $20 one from gogopipes) but then I tried it in my buddies small Sheldon Black and still nothing. I've tried messing around with draw speed but nothing seems to fix it.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

hunterthompson,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
hunter, NYCDiesel is the gal you want to talk to. She has had great success using glass with the CRZ and is the "Queen of Glass" IMO. I'm sure she can help you out.

momofthegoons,

SD_haze

hunterthompson said:
Hey all,

I was having issues running my CRZ through water. For some reason no matter what I do I can't get any visibly vapor building up in the tube. At first I thought it might be the bong I was using (I was using the cheapo $20 one from gogopipes) but then I tried it in my buddies small Sheldon Black and still nothing. I've tried messing around with draw speed but nothing seems to fix it.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

maybe a video would help?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ5B7ij-wpA

just got to have a long, consistent, and somewhat slow draw.

SD_haze,

hunterthompson

Never mind, fixed it! Once I ground up the herb more finely and filled the stem completely up I was able to fill my friends piece up with vapor :ko:
Sooo smooth :D i have a feeling I may be running my CRZ through water more often...

hunterthompson,

Pcpvapors

I had company over about a week ago who were non-users, and left my CRZ out just being lazy. They had asked what it was and I simply said "why that beautiful piece of artwork was done by Rick the Zapman he titled it The Vapor Milkshake".

Pcpvapors,
Top Bottom