Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
:lol: Rick, I meant I wasn't sure if you were going to turn any more of the OOAL's. You, of all people, should know I think they're all beauties!!!

momofthegoons,

placetime

I really like the polished look Rick. :brow: I've got a question about the polished surface. I thought that the wax/zapolish sorta conditioned the wood to help it not crack--so is that not necessary with this new buffing/polishing that you're doing? Or maybe I just don't understand correctly about the use of the zapolish? On my redwood CRZ, it looks like maybe it has that sorta polished look on the top but not on the sides. The sides soak up LOTS of zapolish, but the polished-looking top doesn't seem to take any at all. I think I prefer that polished look, but I'm curious about the longevity and care of the wood. Regardless--it's fun seeing new shiny logs show up on your website! :cool:
:peace:

placetime,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
My new stems from Ed's TnT with my MZ.

sdc10662k.jpg

J.R.R.Tokin',
Looking at getting one of Ed's stems for my zap. How do you like the vapor through it? Does the wood add any taste to the vapor? How do you compare it to the nylon stem and the glass tooty?

TheDudeNextDoor,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
I am honestly loving the stems. They are really aesthetically and ergonomically satisfying. They cool the vapor quite a bit more than the stock stems (glass tooty en route so no comparison there yet). And they have a wider bore for added air flow. I keep taking in huge lungfuls because I'm not use to it yet.

Taste wise, they give a very very slight 'note' to the flavour, but it's just a lingering after taste - very pleasant. Aside from looking great they function great too - a must-have accessory for any Zap imo.

J.R.R.Tokin',

Vitolo

Vaporist
The stems add an amazing subtle essence!
DSC00431.jpg

I have said it before, and will say it again...
I love my Zaps... and I love my wooden stems. Ed's stems in my Zaps (Old Zaps or new!)
make it like a walk in the forest... sipping a delightful wooden Vapor Cocktail!

Vitolo,

Rick

Zapman
Nice bunch of stems there Vito!
Placetime, I will try to answer your questions related to the finish on our CRZs.
The first product I use is a mixture of shellac, Carnuba Wax and Walnut oil. This is specifically a woodturning finish as it requires friction heat to cure. Here is a quote from the label:
"A shellac based finish for one step finishing. The micro-aggregated carnuba wax provides a hard topcoat over the burnished shellac. No need to use a sanding sealer simply spread using a paper towel with the piece turning at a comfortable speed. Polish at high speed to attain a strong and lustrous finish"
When I get done with that application the piece is shiny but not buffed smooth. Then I buff it on the buffer using three different buffing wheels, finishing off with Carnuba wax on the softest wheel.
This process thoroughly seals the wood surface. It cannot absorb more wax(ZaPolish) into the wood after the final buffing. Perhaps the softer woods like Redwood are an exception to that statement with some different grain exposures. The top or end grain will buff up much shinier than the side grain initially. Maybe someone out there will chime in as to why that is the case with endgrain.
Ed sure does do some nice wood stems!

Rick,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Thanks Rick, looking forward to getting that CRZ back, been missing it for some time, it had been down for some time before I emailed ya. Hope all is well!

Ed's TnT,

Rick

Zapman
Ed, your 'Traditional Log' is doing fine. You will love it. I sanded it down(no bark sanded), put the finish(above) on it and then buffed it real good. She is very sweet now. I even found a nice dark brown top ceramic insulator for it. That Zap has some ceramic exposed so it is nice to find something that matches the wood. I'll be putting it back together today and shipping by Saturday. That's the plan anyway. Yours was the first 'log' or out on a limb that we did.

Rick,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Thats right!!! I am so anxious to have it back in action Rick, I do so appreciate ya! Thanks for the extra attention to match the ceramic, I cant wait to see it:)

Ed's TnT,
The out-on-the-limb ones you had in the picture last page were sick!!!! my next one is deff going to be out-on-a-limb or one equal to its heat.

One thing about these zaps I feel obligated to mention though

The screens in stems are very breakable
especially if you try and pick at them w/ a needle (thats how most of mine got dislodged)
I have 6 stems and every single one the screen as popped out, and the only ones left working are the ones I was able to ghetto repair.
Be VERY careful when cleaning these bad boys out I do admit being a bit rough in the cleaning process.
(I used a water pick)

and you know what they say

Your only as strong as your weakest link
.....imo. this link is pretty god damn weak.....

Seagullmeat,

Albert Hofmann

Convicted vapist
^^^^^ I've had a zap for a couple of years now, use it several times a day, and I haven't dislodged a screen yet, of course I've never poked at any of my screens with a pick either. If you are fully depleating your loads, and you give your stems an occasional iso soak/rinse, your screens won't clog up, simple as that.

Albert Hofmann,

THCMuscle

Albert Hofmann said:
^^^^^ I've had a zap for a couple of years now, use it several times a day, and I haven't dislodged a screen yet, of course I've never poked at any of my screens with a pick either. If you are fully depleating your loads, and you give your stems an occasional iso soak/rinse, your screens won't clog up, simple as that.

I have yet to clean one of my stems. I have two heavily used wood stems with stock screens, both of which are as unobstructed as the day I got em. I also have my experimental nylon stem with super fine screen, as of two weeks of daily use, it as well is unobstructed.

I'd never advise anyone to poke, pick, or prod the screen. Proper blowing-out after every stem load and a bi-yearly ISO soak should be more than enough up keep.

Never stir a stem, dump and reload.

EDIT: I barely read your post before I quoted it, you said it well enough!

THCMuscle,

Rick

Zapman
Seagullmeat, thanks for commenting on our weakest link, a pretty god damn weak link at that. As you can see from the first two responses, your experience is rare among Zap users. We get the same here in Zapville, no problems with screens.
The most important part of keeping stem tips clean is to thoroughly vape each load. That will keep the tip clean by not leaving goo in there after every load. We never pick at a screen as there is no need to do so. The thoroughly vaped stem tip contents will blow right out.
I really do think that many of you, especially those liking big heavy clouds, are leaving goodies behind in the tip because after a few pulls, the vapor leans out considerably and does not satisfy as the first few pulls. The repeated 'pile up' of even small amounts of resin will clog the screen very soon.
We used to talk about the ABV blowing out like a plug when it was done, not a spray. That was my design for a perfect packed tip. Now, with the CRZ, it always seems to be a spray that blows out, especially with a few extra pulls. There is very close to nothing left and it has been THOROUGHLY vaporized.
Thanks for the comment Seagullmeat and we all hope you master the keeping stems clean process just a little better. That way they will only be a slight weak link for you and not such a drag. The goo you are trying to get out is NOT water soluble BTW. That is why folks soak them in alcohol or some other suitable solvent on a regular basis to keep them clean. A plugged screen will surely reduce performance.

Cook yer goo well done, not medium rare.
Have I sent you a screen kit? The new factory cut screens kick ass for fitting nice and tight. Email me.

edit for............changed my mind............no edit.......

Rick,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I have to agree with Rick. The only time I've had a screen come out is by poking it. I have started using a 90% ISO, and it takes no effort at all to keep the stems clear and clean by soaking. A soak, quick shake and a quick hot water rinse and they are good as new.

I've also thought, many times, that people think their stems are cashed prematurely. Especially those of you who only seem to get 2 - 3 hits per stem. Often I'll think a stem is cashed, put it down for some reason and let it cool, and then realized it's not finished when I reheat it to blow out the plug. I can almost always pull a couple more hits from it. Granted, the first hit off a stem is the "meatiest," but there is a lot more vapor to be had in that stem full. :2c:

momofthegoons,

reece

I won't repeat what others have said but my experience is the same. No need to poke at the screen...

reece,

Rick

Zapman
Good to see you around reese. I think I found something in a box I will send you. Nothing fancy even if it is a lost species. I have had you on my mind lately as I clean boxes in my shop.
Speaking of which, Zaplady found a sweet walnut log style vape with an SS heatport. Only thing is, this one has SIX holes in the top rather than 4. Very rare as we only did 6 top holes for a short while(now 4). I may stick it up on the 'for sale' thread if anyone is interested. Oh, yes, fits the BRASS stems perfectly, NOT the SS stems.

We had an interesting 24+ hours or so here in Zapville. I was doing normal stuff I do early every morning yesterday and wham! No more access to aromazap.com, period. Front end or back end just would not load but I had super access to the rest of the internet.
What happened at AZ.com was the software that 'guards' the servers that hosts my website blacklisted me. They thought I was a hacker or other type of bad guy because I was always in the back end and the front end of AZ.com. So I was blocked from their servers. It happened yesterday morning at 5 and I just got out of jail about noon today. My website and all the others they host were totally unavailable to my IP address. Our web guy figured it out rather quickly yesterday but then had to jump through hoops to get me on the white list. Once on the white list, you are good to go no matter what you do(unless you are a bad guy of course). Authenticate me then go to the guys upstairs as the normal techies are not allowed to let me free again. It is like being in jail, easy to get in and hard to get out. Once the software zaps you out, you have to prove you are not a terrorist.
Is that crazy or what? Rick mis-identified as a hacker! It was very strange for me as I am into the site several times a day for different reasons. Very good thing I did not have important shipping to do or I would have gone nuts.

Speaking of shipping, the GonG stem stock will not be here til early next week. It got waylaid on a truck in a snowstorm AND a normal fine lady I have dealt with for 10 years was on vacation. Hard to believe it still works that way sometimes.

edit: Since we are beamed back up from Zapville again, I will be working on the website this afternoon. I played with my wood yesterday and have a couple new sweeties to put up.

Rick,

chillen

Hi everyone
I'm the new owner of a zap, thanks to some special attention from Rick who was able to get it to me the day before my plane left the US to my home in Chile. I had to get a 220v adapter (12v, 1.25a) here but its working. Quick question- how long should I wait for it to break in? It takes a little over 10 minutes to heat up, and I'm not sure if I should try a stronger power adapter or just wait a little more...

Either way I really like it and really appreciate the effort that went in to getting it to me. :D

Cheers

chillen,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Hi chillen and welcome to the forum and Zapville! :D

I usually give my CRZ about 40 minutes to really get nice and toasty, although it will produce vapor much sooner (around 20). Then, I never turn it off, so that it is always ready. If stealth is necessary, put the aroma cup on top with some 100% essential oil. No one will know. And, if you are not happy with leaving it on all the time, but want it ready when you come home from work, put it on a timer.

I hope you enjoy your new Zap. ;)

momofthegoons,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
I love it. Another Vitolo classic with the sounds of the Carribean in the background!

Vitolo, have you considered starting your own video thread in the General Vaporizer forum? That way you can edit the first post to add any new videos as well as archiving in one place all of your videos on the forum.

J.R.R.Tokin',
My winning zap :)

6801324688_0d4f3e522d.jpg

6947428769_207ff94014.jpg

6947431629_72dedf7154.jpg

I just wanna thank Rick and everyone at FC, I love this thing already!

Funny you guys were just talking about the whole screen thing...in one of the tubes I received, the screen was already dislodged when I opened the package up. I had a hell of a time getting the clip and the screen situated again...then it popped back out again! So then I figured I would try a new screen and clip, had a hell of a time getting that thing in there secured, but finally managed to. Then i loaded some material very lightly, and it popped out again! Pretty frustrating, does anyone have any tips for getting it lodged in there well??

Snugglebandit,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Snugglebandit that is fantastic:brow:

@J.R.R.Tokin' thanks.. that may be irrelevant as we may soon not be able to go back and edit posts.
Thanks for the compliment!

Vitolo,
Top Bottom