Arizer Solo

olivianewtonjohn

ok
i got my solo for a week now.its the latest model .i use my solo with the stock stem with a dome screen.i mostly use my solo between 3or 4 power setting.i get thick tasty vapor for the full time cycle.my abv never gets past a tan colour,is this normal.even running the bowl twice the colour is around the same shade of tan.the vapor and taste is lesser on the second cycle.i think my unit is running welll.i find the solo is very smooth compare to my other vapes.which i like alot .no more coughing up a lung.
Yes that is perfectly normal in fact depending on the strain and moistness of the flower you might actually not get much vapor at all at 3. The really dark abv (already been vaped) bowls that you might see in the thread is from going to 5 or even 7. Its all preferences, what I do is start at 2 or 3 and when I start getting almost no vapor I go up a level; I keep doing this till I go through 7. I find that its actually not very cough inducing if you go up slowly vs starting hot.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Just ground up some bud and vaped it at the lowest temp on my power adapter (not a solo) and saw the plexi get covered in moisture. First hit had hardly any visible vapor. All moisture pretty much. Dry dry herb doesn't do this as much and you get thicker (but maybe one or two less) hits.

Also, higher temperatures are more easily tolerated with a water path. Vapor cooling/conditioning helps get rips at the higher temps. I think most of the stuff you'll vape won't get past a certain color if you vape them all at the same level since it only corresponds to a specific temperature. Try one on five and compare material!

SOLOGreen

Hello to all guys, I just vaporized herbs inside my Solo in this month. AMAZING. last night I tried to put a bit of Mazari Sharif (hash) inside, wrapped in cotton.
I used the temperature 6. it's not the best way.
what do you think instead of the method Micro Dab!?

http://www.vapefiend.co.uk/epages/e...5197719/Products/42077/SubProducts/42077-0002

if I buy this glass container and use it as a container to be put in the heating chamber? might work?

SOLOGreen,
Hello to all guys, I just vaporized herbs inside my Solo in this month. AMAZING. last night I tried to put a bit of Mazari Sharif (hash) inside, wrapped in cotton.
I used the temperature 6. it's not the best way.
what do you think instead of the method Micro Dab!?

http://www.vapefiend.co.uk/epages/e...5197719/Products/42077/SubProducts/42077-0002

if I buy this glass container and use it as a container to be put in the heating chamber? might work?
Just sandwich the hash between your herbs. Oh and I doubt the glass from the Jarz would fit in your solo lol

oli

Wonder why they have never developped a more croud user friendly stem, like the ones on bubblers, especially if you like to suck it the way VAPELIFE Will sucks it!!

oli,

Will B. Good

Vapesperado
Hey guys, reporting back. So far the unit I ordered from ebay has been working exceptionally well, aside from some oddities. For example, when I use it with a PA it makes a wringy sound as it heats up. Pipes was kind enough to send me another step-down unit so I could test it without cost. But the problem was on my end and it did not make a difference.
I have noticed some other things, the Solo won't start heating up if you select a higher number than that of the battery charge. You must select the number or a # below the current charge for it to start heating up. After it get's hot, you can eventually select higher temps. I don't know if this is common knowledge or a peculiarity on my unit. Aside from that, it has been getting daily use for about 2 weeks now and so far so good!
Thanks for the step-down unit, Pipes, now I can have one in my car and at home. Props for good customer service. :tup:

Will B. Good,
Reactions: Pipes

High_Prairie

Howdy and welcome to the fun. Sorry to meet you under a cloud, but we meet lots of friends who come with problems.....

I agree, it does not sound like a battery. When you say it charges normally, how long is it taking to go from say step 1 to cutoff?

The 200F number is interesting, as there's no LED step for that. What makes you say it's 200F? How does the heater LED behave. That is if you turn it on and set it to step 7 how long does it take to stop flashing? Then does it cycle on and off? About how often? TIA

This is a closed loop system, it'll heat until the sensor says it's hot enough. Hopefully while watching the cycle it'll show us where it falls down. If the battery was the casue, it'd go undervoltage and the Solo would shut down to protect the battery, which is not happening, right? Weak batteries give short service between charges, not have trouble making temperature usually.

Anyway, please let me know what you see, maybe we can sort this out on this here internet.

OF
Sorry for the late reply, I used a digital thermometer and it did not get past 200 F. It was noticeable before measuring due to very weak, cool draws and getting next to nothing. So I then used the thermometer to confirm the temp. It rapidly ramps up to level 7 (never actually measure how long) and then cycles fairly quickly, but the temp never passes 200. So I'm suspecting some sort of sensor issue or firmware corruption.
I have it all apart and it was full of debris, so perhaps a short??? I will put it back together and see what happens. After putting it back together I'll measure time regarding reaching 7 and times between cycling.

Thanks for the help !!

High_Prairie,
Reactions: OF

OF

You've welcome. Good luck with it.

A word of warning, don't trust IR Pyrometers (the typical 'remote reading thermometer', they are widely known to not accurately reflect the real temperature in such cases. It has to do with emissivity and other factors with the way they work.

Far better measures are vapor production and ABV condition I think.

The regulation scheme used is pretty fool proof. If it works at all, it's generally plenty accurate for our use. I don't recall a single confirmed problem in the area. Lots of guys have changed their minds along the way (or maybe their Solos just self repaired overnight.....).

You should also be able to 'measure' it with power used to heat up and maintain temperatures. That is the number of seconds to say having the heater cycle off for the first time on step 7 with no stem and the top open should be a test we can all run? Likewise, the duty cycle (percent on of the total cycle time) is a useful measure perhaps. In both cases we'd need to start from fully charged batteries or some other common point since battery level plays such a big part.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say most all Solos work fine out of the box.....and a guy should trust the ABV way before temperature meters.

OF

High_Prairie

Howdy and welcome to the fun. Sorry to meet you under a cloud, but we meet lots of friends who come with problems.....

I agree, it does not sound like a battery. When you say it charges normally, how long is it taking to go from say step 1 to cutoff?

The 200F number is interesting, as there's no LED step for that. What makes you say it's 200F? How does the heater LED behave. That is if you turn it on and set it to step 7 how long does it take to stop flashing? Then does it cycle on and off? About how often? TIA

This is a closed loop system, it'll heat until the sensor says it's hot enough. Hopefully while watching the cycle it'll show us where it falls down. If the battery was the casue, it'd go undervoltage and the Solo would shut down to protect the battery, which is not happening, right? Weak batteries give short service between charges, not have trouble making temperature usually.

Anyway, please let me know what you see, maybe we can sort this out on this here internet.

OF
So I put it back together and watched / times as it heated. 90 second to reach 7, max temp 220 F. Cycles every 5 seconds

High_Prairie,
Reactions: OF

High_Prairie

You've welcome. Good luck with it.

A word of warning, don't trust IR Pyrometers (the typical 'remote reading thermometer', they are widely known to not accurately reflect the real temperature in such cases. It has to do with emissivity and other factors with the way they work.

Far better measures are vapor production and ABV condition I think.

The regulation scheme used is pretty fool proof. If it works at all, it's generally plenty accurate for our use. I don't recall a single confirmed problem in the area. Lots of guys have changed their minds along the way (or maybe their Solos just self repaired overnight.....).

You should also be able to 'measure' it with power used to heat up and maintain temperatures. That is the number of seconds to say having the heater cycle off for the first time on step 7 with no stem and the top open should be a test we can all run? Likewise, the duty cycle (percent on of the total cycle time) is a useful measure perhaps. In both cases we'd need to start from fully charged batteries or some other common point since battery level plays such a big part.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say most all Solos work fine out of the box.....and a guy should trust the ABV way before temperature meters.

OF
I work at a place where I have access to a lab, so I should borrow their cool laser temp sensor ;)
That thing is so much fun. Point at a router across the room and it will tell you the temp.
I'm not an engineer, I'm a network guy, but I get access to cool equipment

High_Prairie,

OF

So I put it back together and watched / times as it heated. 90 second to reach 7, max temp 220 F. Cycles every 5 seconds

Sounds about right to me, mine just went 105 seconds to reach 7, but the battery is on step 5? Cycle time seems short (unless that's just the on time?) but if it's cycling it's regulating.

How's the AVB?

I work at a place where I have access to a lab, so I should borrow their cool laser temp sensor ;)
That thing is so much fun. Point at a router across the room and it will tell you the temp.

By all means do try. I've got one of those guys (it doesn't work here) as well as a whiz bang one the focuses on a .1 inch spot an inch or so out (uses two lasers to show the spot)......it doesn't work, either. Same basic reason, emissivity. Such meters are basically light meters, they measure how bright stuff is in light we can't see. The hotter the brighter. But surfaces vary a LOT in this factor, typically metals emit less IR for the same temperature. Most meters come preset at values like .96.
http://www.frigidn.com/resources/EmissivityTable.pdf

Some excellent (and IMO easy to follow) discussion here:
http://www.optotherm.com/emiss-effects.htm

OF

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker

Not sure what kind of other hardware you have access too, but any chance you know how/have the ability to read the Solo's thermistor? The T+/T- points on the board connect directly to the leads of it. Many high quality multimeters are capable of reading this probe directly.

CentiZen,

Django

I gave mine to my friend,he got really stoned and so did I.There wasn't a lot of vapour.we have tried to fight being stoned but it's not happening
.Am I doing this right?
plus the weed ain't going brown and what do you do with the used weed?sorry if this has been asked already!

Django,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Hey guys, reporting back. So far the unit I ordered from ebay has been working exceptionally well, aside from some oddities. For example, when I use it with a PA it makes a wringy sound as it heats up. Pipes was kind enough to send me another step-down unit so I could test it without cost. But the problem was on my end and it did not make a difference.
I have noticed some other things, the Solo won't start heating up if you select a higher number than that of the battery charge. You must select the number or a # below the current charge for it to start heating up. After it get's hot, you can eventually select higher temps. I don't know if this is common knowledge or a peculiarity on my unit. Aside from that, it has been getting daily use for about 2 weeks now and so far so good!
Thanks for the step-down unit, Pipes, now I can have one in my car and at home. Props for good customer service. :tup:
Your quite welcome. And thanks for the follow up. This type of information is important and in this case, concerning. Folks need to be aware of this as I have had a second adopter of the AIO which has reported a high pitch squealing coming from the Solo while in PA mode as well. I have requested a follow up from him as well.
Wondering if there is any other users experiencing this with other PA units? OEM and other substitutes. And what lot number the Solos are? I have heard this via a recording and to me it sounds like a converter inside the Solo either under stress or with a loose winding in a coil.
What's good is now I know it has nothing to do with the step down unit. What's bad is there are likely going to be more reports from Solo users with PAs.

Last edited:
Pipes,

Arizer_is_trash

I just received my first Arizer Solo and it has a horrid toxic smell that smells like burning plastic. After 4-5 cycles at heat setting 7 (I charged it as soon as I got it) the smell hasn't gone away, but it is definitely not getting as hot as it was before (at least on the outside). I never actually was able to get the straight stem in the unit properly (I didn't try with the others). I HIGHLY recommend anyone considering buying an Arizer Solo to avoid the M1C1's. Now, I have an awful headache from smelling it to see if the smell was gone and I am not sure I even want to own a product by this company as so many issues got past Arizer that I don't really want to trust my health to them. If it wasn't for the headache inducing smell I wouldn't mind as much, but it just makes it very hard to trust them.

...Just tried it again for maybe the 9th cycle and there is barely any heat at all. I am sending this back tomorrow. I am not sure if I want to risk the shipping and my health on another one.

Arizer_is_trash,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I just received my first Arizer Solo and it has a horrid toxic smell that smells like burning plastic. After 4-5 cycles at heat setting 7 (I charged it as soon as I got it) the smell hasn't gone away, but it is definitely not getting as hot as it was before (at least on the outside). I never actually was able to get the straight stem in the unit properly (I didn't try with the others). I HIGHLY recommend anyone considering buying an Arizer Solo to avoid the M1C1's. Now, I have an awful headache from smelling it to see if the smell was gone and I am not sure I even want to own a product by this company as so many issues got past Arizer that I don't really want to trust my health to them. If it wasn't for the headache inducing smell I wouldn't mind as much, but it just makes it very hard to trust them.

...Just tried it again for maybe the 9th cycle and there is barely any heat at all. I am sending this back tomorrow. I am not sure if I want to risk the shipping and my health on another one.
Too Bad you feel that way?

For over 2 years I have been using the SOLO.

HEALTH?
Gluten Fee?
Dairy Free?
No Paramedicals?

I don't find anything wrong other than their cheap!

Stick with ZIG-ZAGS!

MinT

Not all M1C1 units are bad. I have had mine now for over a month with no problems at all, and it's my daily driver. Yes it only takes about 30 to 40 seconds to go to 7 but other than that it works perfectly. It's a shame that a few bad ones slipped through and now people are so down on a fantastic vape.

Last edited:

Arizer_is_trash

Not all M1C1 units are bad. I have had mine now for over a month with no problems at all, and it's my daily driver. Yes it only takes about 30 to 40 seconds to go to 7 but other than that it works perfectly.
Alright maybe I'll try another one. Did yours have a headache inducing smell that burned off or did you not have issues with a smell at all?

Arizer_is_trash,
Reactions: ataxian
Top Bottom