Arizer Solo

OF

I don't think I ran the battery completely down. This all started when I think I had about 2 lights of battery power left. I doubt it matters but I was using it pretty heavily tonight and was charging it for about 10 minutes at a time between sessions.

So I shouldn't try to reset it? Is there anything I can do right now?

If it runs normally on battery power, the processor is running fine. Knowing that much a reset is probably worth a try (although very few failures seem to have been fixed this way?), but my money's still on the charger.

I would not run it flat, that seriously limits your options. Normally I'd say time to fall back on your backup vape but you don't have one? After the dust settles I suggest you consider something like a VG that's cheap, useful, fun and not related to the main vape? Mission critical gear demands backups if the mission is to be guaranteed. If you're willing to live without that's a different matter, of course, but few are I think. IMO you need an alternative to blazing on tap.

I think I'd then take the charger down to Radio Shack for an output voltage check (or maybe you know someone with a meter?). Lots of guys have had similar problems traced to the charger. Things like that are often useful clues, not always, but often enough to pay attention to.

Good luck with it.

OF

Hoof Hearted

Vapesallday Industries
@OF

Radio Shack can verify if the charger is faulty?

Do you know if they sell any replacement chargers that would work with the Solo?

Hoof Hearted,

OF

@OF

Radio Shack can verify if the charger is faulty?

Do you know if they sell any replacement chargers that would work with the Solo?

Yes, they should be able to read the output voltage for you, it should be very close to 12 VDC, has to be above 11 or just the sort of thing you're seeing happens.

They sell a 12 Volt, one Amp 'wall wort' with interchangeable plugs to fit different products. I don't have the part number handy, but perhaps someone else does, if not they should know that by reading the nameplate on the charger. "Adaptaplug" or something like that, you want the 'type B' plug IIRC, but they'll be able to match that to the one you bring in.

Good luck.

OF

Hoof Hearted

Vapesallday Industries
Thanks. I'll start with that. I'm hoping it's just a bad charger. MY Solo is only a few months old so I'll be even more upset if there's a problem with the unit rather than the charger. And you're absolutely right about the absence of a backup vape. I don't like this feeling at all. (":cuss:HOOF IS GETTIN' UPSET!")

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
You have gotten some misinfo here. Perhaps why MJ is not helping your pain but is helping everything else is because what and how used! The boiling points for all the medicinal properties of MJ are diffetent. There are a hundred or more CBNs and terpenes that do different things. The temp needed to get the #1 pain killing property of MJ, CBD, is 320-360 degrees! THC also kills pain, but the latest medical research says CBD is the most important. Pick up an o'shaughnessy's newsletter at your local dispensary. Sativas have the lowest CBD. Many strains have none! THC gives an active sativa high and CBDs are more stoned couch lock sedatives. Vaporizing at low temps still give lots of CBNs and terpenes that likely has the flavors people love too. Different terpenes act as antibiotics and all sorts of things wouldn't think of. Facinating plant.

I don't think Dreamerr has been misinformed. I find your response a bit confusing, because you seem to be making the common mistake of treating the temperatures like binary switches, but then you seem to recognize that you are getting a spectrum of components at every temperature. The latter is the correct explanation. A particular component starts to be released long before its boiling point as listed in those charts. Watch water boil and you will steam start to rise as low as 50°C. Cannabis components are no different. Selecting the boiling temperature for CBD does not mean you don't get any until you reach that point, it just means that you are choosing the highest bias for CBD.

Caligula

Maximus
No, not true, bad advice.

For the reason above the Pipes kit (or the electrically similar one from Tim) will not charge and run PA at the same time any more than the factory offerings do. It's just not possible. One or the other. Because of the way the processor is used (to control charging) you can't even run on battery as it charges like you can with your cell phone or laptop. Charge or PA, but one at a time.

OF

I never said either unit charges while its in use. Not sure why that assumption was made. Was the poster not asking if she should buy the Arizer PA from PUI? I'm trying to say the Pipes AIO is a better deal given that the OEM unit is $40.

cawshook

Solod out.
Is it ok to charge it for a few minutes between sessions? Also how long till it gets to 80%? How long till it gets to 100%? Any tips to help me preserve the battery? Would the power adapter help preserve the battery?

cawshook,

Caligula

Maximus
Is it ok to charge it for a few minutes between sessions? Also how long till it gets to 80%? How long till it gets to 100%? Any tips to help me preserve the battery? Would the power adapter help preserve the battery?

It should be fine but a few minutes of charging won't do much. Also the LEDs (roughly) corespond to battery levels when charging. 6 should be near 80% IIRC. Also 100% is when the battery indicator reads 7 and the green LED goes from blinkng to solid.

That being said you'll get more charges out of the battery if you unplug it before the green light goes solid. Shoot for a 90% charge... basically when the LED is on 7 but is still blinking.

OF

I never said either unit charges while its in use. Not sure why that assumption was made. Was the poster not asking if she should buy the Arizer PA from PUI? I'm trying to say the Pipes AIO is a better deal given that the OEM unit is $40.

No, but the poster did in posing the question you answered:
"No one answered about the adaptor. Is the power adaptor from PV what I need to use the solo while it charges?" (emphasis is mine).

IMO the 'right' (at least responsive) answer is the one I gave.....and explained.

Sure, even brief charges put energy back. A few minutes won't do much though.....

How long to charge is a complex question since the rate automatically drops off at the end. For most of the time it's charging about 3/4 of an Amp, .75 say, so it'll take roughly 3 hours to normally recharge the 2.2 Ah battery. However, we rarely discharge to the bottom. The LEDs are roughly .1 Volt each (step 7 is 8.0 and above so it's 'slower' for that reason too), each representing about 10% of the charge. So the 80% point is 'buried' in the last step somewhere most likely.

Another way to look at it is it charges a little slower than it depletes the battery on say step 4 (on for about 35% of the time at about 2 Amps for an average of about .75. That might be a better 'rule of thumb'? 'Charge at least as long as you vape to hold the same charge level'?

PAs definitely add to battery life. You can also probably double your battery life if you never start a session with no LEDs showing (don't deep discharge it) and stop charging after the top LED lights but before the charge LED stops flashing (avoid charging to maximum voltage). Doing this can easily double the battery life at the expense of a session or two less per charge.

My recent battery replacement experiments lead me to think battery replacement might not be a big deal, but why rush to burn out the original? Even hammered you should get maybe 300 cycles, but over a thousand is possible probably with reasonable care.

OF

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I speak only of my own experience....

I bought my Solo in May'11 and had always thrown it on the charger when finished using (usually 2 sessions of 2 restarts each), and just let it recharge overnite and disconnected in the morning. I replaced my battery after exactly 2 years of daily use (same regime as mentioned), only because the battery would deplete to the last LED after my evenings use. Still worked, however was showing signs of getting weak by both its overall charge hold capacity as well as its ability to maintain a decent 'in use' power drop.

So in the end, and with my use and charging regime, I received a full two years of very satisfied use from a product I spent under $200 on, replace the battery for an under $60 new power pack, and continue to date to enjoy my purchase daily.

Not bad at all in my eyes for an electronic/heating device for under a $300 that keeps on keeping on investment I'd say :nod:

GSH

On a Möbius plane
Does anyone know of an external 18650 charger that can be used with the Solo battery pack. I have a Solo that won't charge and has been tried with different chargers, so its not that. Just wondered if I could charge the battery up outside the Solo enclosure and then pop it back in for use? @OF or @Pipes have you come across one at all?

GSH,
Reactions: OF

OF

Does anyone know of an external 18650 charger that can be used with the Solo battery pack.

You can do it, but not with a 18650 charger unless you hack into the pack and charge the two batteries one at a time.

To charge the pack as is you need a purpose built charger like this:
http://www.all-battery.com/UniversalSmartChargerfor3.7-14.8VBatteryPack-01281.aspx

To make it easy on yourself, you can buy this cable to plug into the battery pack, but be sure to reverse the polarity somewhere along the line since Solo uses a 'backwards' polarity. No problem if you goof it up, the charger is protected:
http://www.all-battery.com/becjstfemaleconnectorwithleads.aspx

OF

GSH

On a Möbius plane
You can do it, but not with a 18650 charger unless you hack into the pack and charge the two batteries one at a time.

To charge the pack as is you need a purpose built charger like this:
http://www.all-battery.com/UniversalSmartChargerfor3.7-14.8VBatteryPack-01281.aspx

To make it easy on yourself, you can buy this cable to plug into the battery pack, but be sure to reverse the polarity somewhere along the line since Solo uses a 'backwards' polarity. No problem if you goof it up, the charger is protected:
http://www.all-battery.com/becjstfemaleconnectorwithleads.aspx

OF
Thanks a million brother!

GSH,
Reactions: OF

fogbank

How fast does this get you medicated compared to your T1? I guess I'll find out when my Solo finally turns up, but I'm curious none the less.

Speaking of the T1, I put a T1 bowl full into my PVHES (which has been sitting waiting for the Solo for 3 weeks). I had to fairly jam it to get it all in there. Perhaps the stem might vape more evenly with a bit less material. I don't know. Pipes, OF, other T1 and Solo owners, am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers
TF

I'm not sure what you mean by "how fast does this get you medicated". Do you mean how fast do I feel the effects, or how fast can I finish a session? If the former, I feel the effects in about the same amount of time (more a function of the strain?). If the latter, then I can finish a session with the T1 much faster than with the Solo.

If your PVHES is a "shorty" then it makes sense that you would need to jam it in to fit a T1 bowl. A T1 bowl fits pretty easily into a stock stem however.

I think the load would definitely vape more evenly if there was less material. That's why people use domed screens. I tried a domed screen once. It seemed to work, but I would need to refine the process a bit more before I would be happy with it.

This is also why I am now considering a "shorty" PVHES. I don't have a problem with the airflow on the stock stem anymore, but I would like a smaller bowl volume without messing with additional screens. I like the stock stem without an added screen, even though I occasionally suck small bits of material into my mouth.

Loosing capacity in a little used lobe is not so important.

Well you have five lobes, (3 in the right lung, 2 in the left). Losing capacity in an entire lobe can cause significant loss of function. Usually survivable of course, but still significant. Particles will usually get trapped at the lowest level they can reach, based on their size. Your airways decrease in size the deeper you go into the lung tissue, so smaller particles can travel further into your lungs than larger ones...in theory.

I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a "little used lobe", but there are areas of your lungs that are not used during normal breathing. These areas are referred to as "residual capacity", and come into play when breathing deeply and heavily (as part of physical activity for instance). Also yawning and sighing play important roles in keeping these "residual" areas healthy because they open the residual areas and prevent them from collapsing/consolidating from lack of use.

Last edited:

Lusi

I think the charts are the optimal boiling points. For CBD that starts at 160 dec C and 320 F. I look at these as at these temps most of that is vaporized. If you are turnedvup to 185C then it's likely you've gotten most of the CBD, THC and other properties in your vapors. Boiling vs steaming water... good description! There are so many diffetent cannabinoids that are in the plant that vape at a wild temp ranges. Think of all the cooking temos fir edibles. If you cook over X temp all you THC gets cooked off. Btw, according to the bud testing at Harborside Dispensary, very few strains have ANY CBDs. Their labeling of the amounts if the top 4 cannabinoids has been very helpful for people seeking pain relief. Less guess work, but not fool proof since we are all different. Prescription meds give people dIfferent side effects or may not work on person A but helps person B. Same deal here...

Yes, the same MJ effects every single person differently. The same strain grow n by different people is also completely different! There are strains of Indicas and Sativas both that set off my anxiety and PTSD symptoms. One called White Fire wax set off so much pain and anxiety I had to get to the ER to stop the resulting attack. The chart is not perfect, but is a great tool for medical use.

Here is an article from Harborside for CBD.
http://www.harborsidehealthcenter.com/CBD-rich-medicine.html
Everyone gets headaches or pain. Imagine having just the right buds or hash stored just for when you need it! That you can take the solo and little jars of emergency meds around and use it even in av theater is prettty sweet!

The adapter...

I got the idea from the first 20 pages here about the solo that there was an adapter made for using and charging. Yet nowhere did I see a name. So it has turned out there is no such thing?? Otherwise,The PV power adaptor isn't sounding useful enough to buy, even half price. I'll buy just the solo then. Not sure from who yet.

I was planning to keep my solo next to the bed and always plugged in charging unless I am using it. Is this way of use going to ruin my battery? It would be always charging except a few hours a day.

Sorry Mod. I haven't figured out how to quote two posts in one. I tried to paste in and had an entire reply in a blue box. Do you have to post first then edit them together later? I'm using a a phone, if that makes a difference.

Lusi,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Sorry Mod. I haven't figured out how to quote two posts in one. I tried to paste in and had an entire reply in a blue box. Do you have to post first then edit them together later? I'm using a a phone, if that makes a difference.

Definitely do not post them separately and try to edit them together, you can't make that work.

A good approach is to save replies until you have finished reading the thread. Just hit Reply for each post you want to answer, but keep reading. They will stack in your reply box and should stay there even if you change pages. When you're done reading, type your replies after each quote, but be careful not to post inside the QUOTE tags.

If you've saved a reply and then see another post you want to answer, use the Edit button on the bottom left of your post. Move the cursor to the end of your previous post, then hit Reply on the post you are answering. The post is inserted as a quote wherever the cursor is placed. Type after the quote. That's all there is to it.

olivianewtonjohn

I think the charts are the optimal boiling points. For CBD that starts at 160 dec C and 320 F. I look at these as at these temps most of that is vaporized. If you are turnedvup to 185C then it's likely you've gotten most of the CBD, THC and other properties in your vapors. Boiling vs steaming water... good description! There are so many diffetent cannabinoids that are in the plant that vape at a wild temp ranges. Think of all the cooking temos fir edibles. If you cook over X temp all you THC gets cooked off. Btw, according to the bud testing at Harborside Dispensary, very few strains have ANY CBDs. Their labeling of the amounts if the top 4 cannabinoids has been very helpful for people seeking pain relief. Less guess work, but not fool proof since we are all different. Prescription meds give people dIfferent side effects or may not work on person A but helps person B. Same deal here...

Yes, the same MJ effects every single person differently. The same strain grow n by different people is also completely different! There are strains of Indicas and Sativas both that set off my anxiety and PTSD symptoms. One called White Fire wax set off so much pain and anxiety I had to get to the ER to stop the resulting attack. The chart is not perfect, but is a great tool for medical use.

Here is an article from Harborside for CBD.
http://www.harborsidehealthcenter.com/CBD-rich-medicine.html
Everyone gets headaches or pain. Imagine having just the right buds or hash stored just for when you need it! That you can take the solo and little jars of emergency meds around and use it even in av theater is prettty sweet!

The adapter...

I got the idea from the first 20 pages here about the solo that there was an adapter made for using and charging. Yet nowhere did I see a name. So it has turned out there is no such thing?? Otherwise,The PV power adaptor isn't sounding useful enough to buy, even half price. I'll buy just the solo then. Not sure from who yet.

I was planning to keep my solo next to the bed and always plugged in charging unless I am using it. Is this way of use going to ruin my battery? It would be always charging except a few hours a day.

But aren't some of these compounds mostly found in the plant material, like CBD? If it's actually apart of the plant material then it won't get released unless you combust. I'm not sure myself but would like to learn more.

olivianewtonjohn,

cawshook

Solod out.
Is it ok to remove the stem while its still hot? Im thinking itll cool down quicker and i can reload before the chamber cools down too much.

Top Bottom