Arizer Solo

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
I've been planning on getting my first solo so I've been watching this thread and it seems like these things are proned to breaking ... or has this been an unusual amount of broken solos the past few days? I have desktop vapes and an mflb but I'm trying to get something to fill the gaps between them and the solo seemed to fit the bill

If you are in the states just get it from puffitup.com and you will have no issues as if something happens he will take care of you. This is an unusual amount of problem units and maybe all came from the same batch or maybe a bad batch of batteries that arizer got. Hopefully we will find out soon. Solos are made like tanks IMO. I would trust a solo more then any of my other portables.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Just received my new Ed's Bog Oak shortie stem! Ultra sweet!!!:tup::rockon:It even arrived with an official carbon dating certificate...over 5ooo year old Bog Oak!
f2kbs.jpg

Last edited:

Razor

I looked at them before. Sorry pipes but from what i have read the are not filled with tje same stuff as the 7th floor ones and they crack if left in the frezzer

This is not so good. Seems odd they would make such a fine looking cooler and forget the glycol.
Curious as to where the information you got came from? Maybe they had a bad lot? (hoping)
The description does state it will not freeze and antifreeze is not expensive. Just seems odd.
Thanks for the heads up and will have to monitor closely the first couple freezer attempts. Just hope I don't end up with freezer burn......

There are a bunch of diff ones besides weedstar too, but it does say not to leave in the freezer for more than 15 minutes here http://www.everyonedoesit.com/online_headshop/reducing-liquid-freezer-downstem-292-to-188.cfm

They even have a liquid freezer downstem.... that's awesome.

Hope you get a good one

Razor,
Reactions: Pipes

cloudy206

No, at least none that have said so. FWIW I don't think it's really practical, check it out? It's not a bottom plate, it's part of the one piece frame the unit is built on. Like a fender on a unibody car. The best shot is probably a hybrid of some sort (retaining most of the frame), perhaps just a cover making the unit taller a bit. But replacing the bottom plate part is not realistic I think.

I hear what you're saying. Thanks for spelling that out for me. I hadn't taken it apart yet and wasn't clear from earlier descriptions about how it functions.

That's the idea behind my repair kit idea. Kind of a 'minimalist cover plate'? The combination of the SS washers contacting the backside (removing the wedge action of the countersunk screws) and rebuilding the lost plastic in extreme cases with the epoxy seems to work and doesn't need CNC gear to make it happen.

Good luck with it. Perhaps you'll find a better solution than I did?

OF

Have you got pictures of your fix? I don't remember seeing any.

Thanks!

cloudy206,
Reactions: OF

OF

Have you got pictures of your fix? I don't remember seeing any.

Pictures again. I just don't get that part sometimes......

Here's the last time I discussed the problem here, it was a month back, and yes, there's a picture....
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/arizer-solo.3833/page-756#post-459108

In response to my request for a lab rat, Thesoloman the brave stepped forward, had success and posted (again with a photo...):

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/arizer-solo.3833/page-762#post-461574

A month or so before that I posted about this problem and using the 'plastic welder' (no photos...):
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/arizer-solo.3833/page-756#post-459108

Since you said "in my search of this forum it looked like folks recommended using plastic repair epoxy" it seems like you found that one (without photos)........

Anyway, that's the idea.

OF

cloudy206

Since you said "in my search of this forum it looked like folks recommended using plastic repair epoxy" it seems like you found that one (without photos)........

Thank you! You're right that I saw the other post. This washer fix seems super simple and straight forward. Thanks for taking the time to share again! Wish there was a way to have a sticky post that serves as an index.
for example
1. info about o-rings
2. info about modifying stems
3. fixing bottom plate
4. domed screen
5. so on and so forth

I've been reading this thread (slowly) from the beginning and using search when I've got specific questions. So much good information in this thread!

cloudy206,

Dreamerr

Thank you! You're right that I saw the other post. This washer fix seems super simple and straight forward. Thanks for taking the time to share again! Wish there was a way to have a sticky post that serves as an index.
for example
1. info about o-rings
3. fixing bottom plate
4. domed screen
5. so on and so forth

I've been reading this thread (slowly) from the beginning and using search when I've got specific questions. So much good information in this thread!

I suggest reading the thread backwards as a lot of the stuff at the beginning doesn't apply or is very outdated. Most of what you need will be in the last 100 pages or so no need to do the now 796. If backwards is annoying go back 100 read and if you feel it necessary go and do that with the next 100. We repeat a lot so I doubt you will need to. We get asked the same questions over and over and we gladly answer especially for someone who seemed to have tried to find the answer like yourself.

OF

for example
1. info about o-rings
3. fixing bottom plate
4. domed screen
5. so on and so forth

You're welcome.

I'm fully behind the idea of making stuff easier to find in amongst the 'I just pulled the trigger', 'the postman didn't bring...', 'I just got notice of....' and other such posts that are not likely to be all that useful in the future.

As a personal request, can we add 'the foil test' to the list? And 'the 3 step technique'? I end up repeating that stuff a lot too.

Until then we muddle along as best we can.

Anyway, try the washer idea. After masking (I used tape) you can then pack the glue in place with a toothpick and trim it flush as it starts to set. BTW, a drop of dye in each part did just fine on my next patch job, very hard to spot. Likewise getting a leather punch made cutting neat round holes for the washers very easy after the rubber is stuck on. I've also got some stick on felt to try, although I like the rubber a lot.

Good luck.

OF

OF,

olivianewtonjohn

I want to get a Solo. Anyone know where I can get it for dirt cheap? I'm kinda broke as a joke.
Holy crap wondering why that guy got banned....Your best bet is to find a used one on ebay or in the classified section here (saw one for $80 shipped a few days ago).

olivianewtonjohn,

Snappo

Accessory Maker
You're welcome.

I'm fully behind the idea of making stuff easier to find in amongst the 'I just pulled the trigger', 'the postman didn't bring...', 'I just got notice of....' and other such posts that are not likely to be all that useful in the future.

As a personal request, can we add 'the foil test' to the list? And 'the 3 step technique'? I end up repeating that stuff a lot too.

Until then we muddle along as best we can.

Anyway, try the washer idea. After masking (I used tape) you can then pack the glue in place with a toothpick and trim it flush as it starts to set. BTW, a drop of dye in each part did just fine on my next patch job, very hard to spot. Likewise getting a leather punch made cutting neat round holes for the washers very easy after the rubber is stuck on. I've also got some stick on felt to try, although I like the rubber a lot.

Good luck.

OF
Why not just get one of Pipe's Charger Glow Stands to permanently cap-off the chipped back end of the wounded Solo? It adds a barely perceptible weight, gives stand-up stability, doesn't impede air flow in any way, and stands ready to be charged at any time. Looks good too!

For those who use the PNWT water tool with their Solo, cleaning is a snap...as follows:
I use ISO 91 in a baggie for easy 123 cleaning. Just shake vigorously throughout, empty, and wrist flick the ISO out. The thin film of ISO that remains will quickly evaporate. As opposed to water, the ISO 91 evaporates quickly and leaves the interior spotless. Water, on the other hand lingers drop by drop for many many hours, even if allowed to dry in front of a fan.

Last edited:

OF

Why not just get one of Pipe's Charger Glow Stands to permanently cap-off the chipped back end of the wounded Solo?

Because that won't strengthen the support of the bottom, which is the important part I think? Unless you do something mechanically solid, the increased load on the remaining tabs will get them to fail as well......I've done that experiment too.

Just hiding it buys you little.

OF

OF,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Why not just get one of Pipe's Charger Glow Stands to permanently cap-off the chipped back end of the wounded Solo? It adds a barely perceptible weight, gives stand-up stability, doesn't impede air flow in any way, and stands ready to be charged at any time. Looks good too!

For those who use the PNWT water tool with their Solo, cleaning is a snap...as follows:
I use ISO 91 in a baggie for easy 123 cleaning. Just shake vigorously throughout, empty, and wrist flick the ISO out. The thin film of ISO that remains will quickly evaporate. As opposed to water, the ISO 91 evaporates quickly and leaves the interior spotless. Water, on the other hand lingers drop by drop for many many hours, even if allowed to dry in front of a fan.
I agree with OF. But why not have the best of both worlds? Add the washers and skip the step of adding a piece of rubber.
Easy enough to drill counter sunk holes in the stand to accommodate the added length at the screw heads.
Those kind of requests are always welcome or DIY.
My Solo is chipping at those same locations as well. It has sure tested many stands...But still holding so far. Going to have to do something myself soon.
Just a thought.

Dreamerr

Pipes, from putting the solo in and out of the finished version will that still eventually happen? I know you said the earlier versions where not sized right always.

Dreamerr,

Vaper

I disagree, this one's real simple and not ambiguous at all I think. A fellow repeated his own post to draw more attention to it, exactly what I think is being addressed by the rule?

The idea, I think, should be to obey the rules you agreed to, not look for loopholes. I will grant that most guys don't really bother to read what they're agreeing to do and so innocently break the rules?

OF
Ignorance is most definitely not bliss in this particular case.

Vaper,
Reactions: OF

Caligula

Maximus
Quick OT question I've been wondering about (came up in another thread just now). Roughly how many pulls do you get before you feel you notice diminished flavor and @ what heat level are you using?

I understand this is mostly subjective, however Id like to get an average baseline to work with. I'm using mine @ level 3 primarily and feel about 2-3 good pulls is all I get out of a packed bowl before Id want to toss it on flavor alone. I'd like to determine if this is this normal.

Caligula,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Pipes, from putting the solo in and out of the finished version will that still eventually happen? I know you said the earlier versions where not sized right always.
I have to say that of course its possible. From what I've read it doesn't take a whole lot sometimes to chip it. IMO, the initial crack usually starts before the chip actually comes off. So sometimes would be hard to say when things started. The stand is a snug fit, specially initial units, but I would not consider the risk of the stand actually starting the crack great at all. Could certainly finish the job as there is contact right where the chips seem to be.
In my case, you are correct that repeated testing of stands is to blame. Some of the stands were "extremely" tight and needed re-working and as part of this was to sand down the inside of stand lip to a reasonable snug fit. So every stand was seeing the bottom of my Solo through the whole process. The reason I made a jig before my bottom decayed to the point a cast was impossible. Now the jig does most of the QC for me.
Hope this helps.

Top Bottom