Arizer Solo

Wolface

I would like to know why the solo is $299 in canada where it is manufactured, but can be found on Ebay from USA sellers for under $180? How can this be?

Wolface,

Egzoset

Banned
I don't know why exactly, Stu's picture has captured may attention! Perhaps because it's one rare sample where we (the observer) can - AT LAST - keep an eye on this "noble" (and consumable!) material, inside the glass tube, WHILE it gets vaporized... Isn't such a hobby amazing!...

:tup:

Egzoset,

McNerdius

god of nerds
Just to clarify... Soaking stems = easy, clearly. I love the jet-action-bottleneck-backup thing dorkus_molorkus has mentioned, the stems are so very easy to clean using that method. But after the goo has been "scorched" by a torch, as CDS has demonstrated, wouldn't the glass be much, *much* harder to clean ? This 'burnt-on' junk is something i've never had much luck cleaning up after, after having tried elbow grease, ISO, vodka, salt/frictioney action, and others. I can get it down to about 20-30% of its original ickyness, but i can never seem to get it *clean*

As OhTheAgony stated:

"I think I'm gonna buy a torch and try this tonight, lol
Can you still easily clean the stems with ISO afterwards?"

charliedontsurf said:
Mcnerdius, a homebrew-style bottle brush would almost certainly be able to bring it back to almost-new.

I googled a bit about these brushes but couldnt find much as far as real "info" goes, being such a simple product i suppose not too many questions are being asked about them lol... OTOH i do have one for you: I'd imagine these bristles would have to be quite stiff to scrub the scorched-on goo remnants from the glass ? Im hoping this brush solves my scorched-goo problems so i can use your method of torching the stem.

McNerdius,

Dberm

Alright so my LHS just got the Solo in and I'm kind of drooling over it. I already have a box vape, a vape-or-smoke, and a MFLB.

Is there any reason I should consider getting this over my MFLB or VOS?

Dberm,

CaptainQ

aesthyrian said:
Do you mean the tip size for the plug that charges the solo? If so, I believe the size you need for it to fit the solo is 4.0mm x 1.7mm but I cannot confirm this until my package comes in the mail.

Sorry aesthyrian, thats exactly what i meant but have been vaked alot lately :) My Solo should be here next week, will give it a bit of a try. Thanks

CaptainQ,

CaptainQ

dorkus_molorkus said:
I cleaned a stem for the 1st time 2days ago (couldnt stand looking at the dirty looking fucking crackpipe thingys anymore). I soaked it in ISO for 2 days then when all the crap still wouldnt come out past the bend in the stem.

Hey Dorkus where do you get your ISO? I can't seem to find it anywhere around here, would cheap booze (vodka, etc) work similarly?

CaptainQ,

dorkus_molorkus

cheap booze?? no not really. depends on what you are after I guess. But I believe its all about the high alcohol content to move the goodies. So, bacardi 151 is best ($80+ a bottle)

I buy a 250ml bottle of 99.1% ISO from JAYCAR for $8.95
I make hash with it from my ABV, you can find it at bunnings, dick smith & jaycar. The higher percentage the better for reclaim results. If you have no intention of reclaiming wand goodies then you can use acetone instead (about $10 per litre from bunnings), and if you are in a hurry, you can use acetone & salt (salt acts as an abrasive that dissolves with rinsing in clean water)

hope this helps

:peace:

CaptainQ said:
dorkus_molorkus said:
I cleaned a stem for the 1st time 2days ago (couldnt stand looking at the dirty looking fucking crackpipe thingys anymore). I soaked it in ISO for 2 days then when all the crap still wouldnt come out past the bend in the stem.

Hey Dorkus where do you get your ISO? I can't seem to find it anywhere around here, would cheap booze (vodka, etc) work similarly?

dorkus_molorkus,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I've been taking the torch to my two oily Solo stems all day yesterday and burned pretty much all the oil that was in there :(

I want more!! :lol:

I always use a screen (haven't even tried mine without one once) and mostly vape whole nugs so there are practically no particals in my stems. Twas mostly a yellowish/amber colored oil and if I heated to much of it with the stem in a to vertical position it would just run out, so it looked nothing like that stem Stu showed (I did have a SSV wand that looked a bit like it though).

It looks like it has just evaporated now, they actually look cleaner then before I torched them yesterday. Not sure if I should bath them in alcohol or just leave 'm like this to speed up the next build up so I can enjoy those goodies again asap.

I had a really good vaping experience yesterday, even the vapobowl is awesome with a good torch. I'm pretty sure it is capable of producing bigger clouds then my old SSV even. I think torching my Solo stems was the closest I ever got to vaping oil, but it tastes like more, much more. I got to learn how to make this stuff since I don't think I ever saw anything like that for sale here locally. The taste is so clean and it hits so hard, yay :brow:

VapeNstone:

This is the one I got: ebay

It seems rather sturdy for the ten bucks I payed for it but I've only used it for one day so it may still fall apart within a week, who knows. It is made in China anyways so I don't expect to much from it.

I also found the one that Charlie is using in his video: ebay

It is a bit pricier but I have no idea where it's made and if i's worth the price difference. Perhaps he can give some more feedback about it. It looks pretty nice though, if it wasn't for the absurd shipping costs to get it my way I would probably order one of those if mine goes bad quickly.

Here's a used one even: ebay

OhTheAgony,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
And if you want to have a compact torch that fits in your pocket just like a BIC lighter with the same heating capacity as the bigger ones, go for the Blazer PB207 or Prince PB207. I have 3 of these babies, NEVER had ANY problem with any of them, and I got the first one like 10 years ago!!!
http://shop.ebay.nl/i.html?_nkw=blazer+pb207+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=blazert+pb207&_rdc=1

So I'm always using a screen in my stem, and never get particles in it. Therefore as Agony stated, and exactly like my MF's glass stem, I almost always have a nice layer of amber oil on both my solo stems.

I did already do CDS's technique naturally, and it is great (super post and video my friend BTW!)
or,
As I explained fastly on the MF thread:
Take a cup of 100% fat milk...bring it to boiling point....poor it in a cup, USE YOUR OILY STEM to stir the milk (you can add powder cocoa, honey, whatever sweetener...oh and you can also leave the stem in the hot milk for a few minutes to make sure everything reclaims easily in there, or "pre-torch it to liquify the oils), and/or use the stem as a nice straw to drink the milk!!!! I guarantee an excellent edible moment, a happy you and a clean stem at the end too! :D

FLskwat,

vape4life

Banned for life
I didn't see the other thread you are referring to but i'm rather intrigued. Seriously, how much of an edible effect did you get? How oily was the aroma tube? Just seems like it would have to "steep" for quite a while, and really that gets the tube clean? Hot milk? don't need iso??

FLskwat said:
As I explained fastly on the MF thread:
Take a cup of 100% fat milk...bring it to boiling point....poor it in a cup, USE YOUR OILY STEM to stir the milk (you can add powder cocoa, honey, whatever sweetener...oh and you can also leave the stem in the hot milk for a few minutes to make sure everything reclaims easily in there, or "pre-torch it to liquify the oils), and/or as a nice straw to drink the milk!!!! I guarantee an excellent edible moment, a happy you and a clean stem at the end too! :D

vape4life,

vape4life

Banned for life
I get 4 packs at costco for like 8$! i think it's 99%

CaptainQ said:
dorkus_molorkus said:

vape4life,

vape4life

Banned for life
No warranty apparently, that's how. I got mine for $275+tax in toronto w/warranty (which i'll be using for my SECOND flaking bowl shortly).

Wolface said:
I would like to know why the solo is $299 in canada where it is manufactured, but can be found on Ebay from USA sellers for under $180? How can this be?

vape4life,

vape4life

Banned for life
Like you i'm a neat freak with glass. That is pretty gross, and I typically throw mine in a mason iso jar after about a couple of grams worth. I also always use screens, not for airflow, but rather particles.

Stu said:
I'm a neat freak with my stems. I soak them constantly in iso 91. I've never thought of letting mine build up with a layer of golden goo until I read what CDS is doing with his.

I met up with a buddy of mine who bought a solo on my recommendation. He brought it out for a session and I couldn't believe how filthy it was! I was so shocked that I took a picture on my iphone. Here it is.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9256/dirtysolostem.jpg

Do you guys let your stems get this bad? Or is my buddy the biggest slob in the world?

vape4life,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
@ Vape4life:
Yes THC can be reclaimed by 3 easy methods:
Solvents (ISO, everclear, rubbing alcohol, acetone...)
Gas (Heptane, butane...)
Fat (Milk, canabutter, Nutella, Fire crackers...)

So for the milk trick: the heat will liquify the oils and the fat will separate it...leaving a clean stem and a very nice edible buzz.

The thread were I first spoke about this is the MFLB's thread... And yes as stated too the layer of oil was/is important on the stem, and I've got no particulates!

;)

FLskwat,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
ohtheagony: "Twas mostly a yellowish/amber colored oil and if I heated to much of it with the stem in a to vertical position it would just run out, so it looked nothing like that stem Stu showed (I did have a SSV wand that looked a bit like it though)."

i feel that you found the ideal point to clean your stems! i agree that cds's method of using the stems like a impromptu ecplipse vape is effective - but by heating the reclaim up just enough to run into a dish and then dabbing it on a curve or dome setup, it will be more enjoyable. also, you can meter out appropriate sized hits easier = more efficient.

ohtheagony: "It looks like it has just evaporated now, they actually look cleaner then before I torched them yesterday. Not sure if I should bath them in alcohol or just leave 'm like this to speed up the next build up so I can enjoy those goodies again asap."

your exactly right! after you reclaim your stem there will still be a golden glow left in the stem, don't clean it all out! the left over oil in the stem will act as 'trap' and catch more 'oil' sooner. so in other words, heat the stem up just enough to run the oil into a dish, then dab away, then vape more stems, and repeat!

this method works really well on my curve as well!

blackbur - great review on the solo. i think you nailed everything about it. however, i feel that the solo is actually a conduction vape - not a convection based vape. as i understand the differences, an ideal example of a convection vape is a heat gun (vriptech used to make a device called the valloon) - basically hot air is creating the vapes. in conduction vapes, the product is touching a hot surface causing the vapes - which is what happens in a solo, i think. an ideal example of a conduction vape would be the ecplipse.

notmyrealUSERname,

Kaptan

I just got an email from Arizer stating that my replacement stainless steel bowl SOLO is on its way! :brow:

Kaptan,

McNerdius

god of nerds
Kaptan said:
I just got an email from Arizer stating that my replacement stainless steel bowl SOLO is on its way! :brow:

Sweet jeebus ! It has happened ! :o

Holy crap the anticipation of knowing the performance/appearance etc of this thing is already killing me and ive only known for 30 seconds...

Crossing my fingers and hoping the best for you and everyone else needing this ! [which will eventually include me and any other solo owner by the looks of the ceramic situation...]

:nod:

McNerdius,

zombonaut

My stainless Solo is on the way too!

I'm excited to see if there is any difference in performance.

Should have it by Tuesday.

zombonaut,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Mine is on its way as well. I'll give it a good test and let you guys know. Hopefully stainless bowls are an improvement.

darkrom,

dorkus_molorkus

well, I just cleaned part of my already pretty cleanish stem with my torch lighter ala ghetto eclipse.

I dont know about rich & thick (but I think thats my probs regarding vapor/air ratio/ seal), and I coughed really, really bad.
But again, I think i need to work on the seal a bit better.

Took me a bit to realise I needed to heat up the stem more than I was previously.

I took 3 pretty good hits tho,
man o man, I can barely see straight. I am baked.
Fuck soaking them in ISO. Just need to get to them before they get too yuck I think.

dorkus_molorkus,

smokecity

Got my SS replacement solo on the way as well. Will update everyone once I test it out.

For everyone that has their replacements on the way are you required to return your ceramic peeling solo?

smokecity,

darkrom

Great Scott!
smokecity said:
Got my SS replacement solo on the way as well. Will update everyone once I test it out.

For everyone that has their replacements on the way are you required to return your ceramic peeling solo?

I don't think so. I don't plan on paying to ship a used and dirty item through customs. If they want that I'll return the new clean one and politely request my money back. From the email I got though I don't believe this is the case. I think they are doing the right thing and trying to make up for the issue with the ceramic bowl. If I am correct then I am a happy customer, as my only problem with this vape is the ceramic bowl issue.

darkrom,
My sense is that they're just giving them SS replacements without asking for the return of Ol' Flaky. I too got a shipment email today and look forward to seeing how the SS bowl performs.

I also hope that my third Solo doesn't happen to be a stinky one. We have warrantied users reporting that they got a stinky unit and a regular unit, or vice versa - I got two stinky ones. So I really hope I get lucky, or else I might make a stink to Arizer, because they're making my house stink every time I heat up the Solo. The smell isn't wretched, but it's immediately noticeable and absolutely interferes with taste. When I go back to the LSV, MW or similar vape I am immediately struck by a markedly superior flavor to either of my Solos.

charliedontsurf,
Top Bottom