Arizer Solo

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I think the taste issue is inherant with all units. I can definitely taste the difference with the Solo, but it's not so offputting that I'd stop using it. It's just a little bit "off".
:peace:

Stu,
charliedontsurf said:
Soloing with the Dead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH92mkiGXLs

So I had a little spare time and decided to make a video.

It shows how the Solo can be used hands free with a silicone sleeve, it showcases the domed screen, what 1 moderate lotus scoop produces at temps 5 and then 7, and also the oil reclaiming technique. You'll also notice that I allow my stem to preheat, so that when the load is inserted there is no lag time required.

This took a few takes to get just right. :D And sorry for the dirty lens.

All music is off the 1967 Grateful Dead Epy album: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grateful_Dead_(album)

Blackbur, I'm pretty rough on the stems. I have four at this point so I wouldn't really care if anything happened to one of them - if they were to die from heat stress it's very unlikely they would shatter dangerously, I think they'd just go "Pop!" and have a crack which would require you to discard it. To be truthful I've actually just carried a naked, unprotected stem in my pocket for what must be over 24 hours continuously if you add it all up, easy. They're cheap and cheesy but I would bet they're made of borosilicate, cheap China glass or not. You can see how I let the weight of the Solo just rest on the stem - this has also happened for what must hours combined now and there is no signs of problems.
Very nice video! May I ask did you purchase this silicone sleeve or create it? Im very interested in getting one after watching your video....

JoeFinny,

dorkus_molorkus

CDS, loved the vid.

thats a bitchin torch you got there. my poxy torch I gotta hit the glass for a good 30 sec or so before theres any action at all. I cant even get it to fire for my vapor swing, & dont have the $40 or so for anything with any balls. yet, just yet.

thats the lot of the home renovator folks. everything gets a number, be it a dollar figure or a priority number
in order of the shit thats the most important.

better torch = later, new grinder = later.
everything=fucking later

gives you the the god damn shits.

bloody bathroom full of asbestos, god damn $14000 just for a roomthats not even big enough for a oompa loompa piss to in, just because some cocksucker put some fucking fireproof rubbish in a fucking bathroom 40 years ago.

Oh, sorry for the rant, in order to stay on topic......................

the solo stem & a torch (no matter how poxy & lame it is) makes a fine ghetto eclipse & vapes that sweet golden goo so well you would swear it just upped & clipped you upside yo noggin.
fo shizzle

dorkus_molorkus,

Lefthook

VapoMiner
Once i have enough golden brown in the stem i will be trying this out.
Havent heard anything about the new SS solo i have been promised so i might chase that up as the chipping has got real bad now, to the point that im sure some is in my ABV.

Forget that , just checked my inbox and i have email from Arizer informing me my new SS Solo is on the way,,,,,Good times :):):):)

Lefthook,
JoeFinny said:
charliedontsurf said:
Soloing with the Dead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH92mkiGXLs

So I had a little spare time and decided to make a video.

It shows how the Solo can be used hands free with a silicone sleeve, it showcases the domed screen, what 1 moderate lotus scoop produces at temps 5 and then 7, and also the oil reclaiming technique. You'll also notice that I allow my stem to preheat, so that when the load is inserted there is no lag time required.

This took a few takes to get just right. :D And sorry for the dirty lens.

All music is off the 1967 Grateful Dead Epy album: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grateful_Dead_(album)

Blackbur, I'm pretty rough on the stems. I have four at this point so I wouldn't really care if anything happened to one of them - if they were to die from heat stress it's very unlikely they would shatter dangerously, I think they'd just go "Pop!" and have a crack which would require you to discard it. To be truthful I've actually just carried a naked, unprotected stem in my pocket for what must be over 24 hours continuously if you add it all up, easy. They're cheap and cheesy but I would bet they're made of borosilicate, cheap China glass or not. You can see how I let the weight of the Solo just rest on the stem - this has also happened for what must hours combined now and there is no signs of problems.
Very nice video! May I ask did you purchase this silicone sleeve or create it? Im very interested in getting one after watching your video....
I was wondering this as well. Because I purchased a normal good bong and would like to get a good torch and try it out when it gets here. Right now I was using my other bong but it doesn't have your normal 14mm slide area so I can't set my stem in I use a tiny piece of my tubing that I use for the Da Buddha and just slide it barely over the mouth area and use that to seal it to the opening in the bong. But I won't be able to hold it to seal and heat it with a torch.

my bong connection is like this
glassbongwhite.jpg

VapeNStone,
I received a shipping invoice for the SS Bowl when I woke up this morning! Almost @ satisfied customer status it just needs to show up :D Also VapeNStone I have almost that exact bong except my bowl is bigger and the slide isn't funnel shaped.

JoeFinny,

Vaped Ape

MMJ Therapist specializing in gynecology~wannabe
I sent my warrantied and unused Solo back to Arizer in exchange for a SS version. That was 14 days ago and Arizer has not received it back yet so it must be hung up in customs and since customs does not do any tracking I will just have to wait for them to cut it loose. Yes, I was responsible for shipping costs both ways.

Da pissed Ape. :mmmm:

Vaped Ape,
JoeFinny said:
I received a shipping invoice for the SS Bowl when I woke up this morning! Almost @ satisfied customer status it just needs to show up :D Also VapeNStone I have almost that exact bong except my bowl is bigger and the slide isn't funnel shaped.
isn't my bong just grabbed a pic off the net to illustrate what type of slide/bowl I had.

VapeNStone,
My steel bowl model just showed up, complete with a new charger, two stems and a aromatherapy bowl.

The bowl looks nice, is bright, shiny stainless steel after about 1/3 of the way in. This unit seems to stink far far less than but that's just based on one bowl.

Thanks, Arizer.

charliedontsurf,

vape4life

Banned for life
I've been waiting for this! I wonder if less initial smell due to more burn in presale (qc testing). Is the performance of the SS bowl any different? Any flaking? Lol j/k
charliedontsurf said:
My steel bowl model just showed up, complete with a new charger, two stems and a aromatherapy bowl.

The bowl looks nice, is bright, shiny stainless steel after about 1/3 of the way in. This unit seems to stink far far less than but that's just based on one bowl.

Thanks, Arizer.

vape4life,

Flatland

I too received my SS bowl unit today. The bowl is a shinny silver color which is kinda odd, they should've made it black to match the rest of the inside as well as the outside of the unit.

P1010006.jpg

I'm kinda upset that I had to send my ceramic unit in though while many people here did not. :mad:

Flatland,

McNerdius

god of nerds
[h]Flatland or CDS: Can we see the bowl without the top cap on ? [/h]

Hitting my solo just got cooler ! Cluffy posted a link in chat a while back, to 7th floor's new Saturn vapor tamer. Had to have it, but also ordered the older, now $30, model. I've been using it with my solo since i got it. The size/drag advantage the Saturn has over the small one is really wasted on the solo, so yeah, i keep the big boy stashed in the back of the freezer for special occasion... Anyhow, time for pic number one:

solotamer.png

The glass on glass is quite snug. Keep in mind condensation can build up. Pulling the stem from the tamer will give a shotgun-like effect, but it's also cool to be able to pull the solo off the stem. Either way is great, really.

pic number two:

lessghettoeclipse.png

I call it the "less ghetto eclipse." Mind you i haven't actually tried it like this, stems arent dirty enough, but i will point out the obvious: BE CAREFUL. I don't know how hot the stems get when using the ghetto eclipse method, but you should be fine if they don't get obnoxiously hot. Someone with more experience with the vapor tamers would know what kind of heat they can take.

All in all, even considering the silly looks of the combination due to the tamer being bigger than the solo, IMO it is a wonderful combination given it's simplicity.

zombonaut

Got my replacement and got the full kit. This time however I got a bent stem AND a straight stem. Both are quite loose in the bowl. They have 3 holes in the bowl.

Charging my new black ss one right now for it's maiden voyage.

zombonaut,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
zombonaut said:
Got my replacement and got the full kit. This time however I got a bent stem AND a straight stem. Both are quite loose in the bowl. They have 3 holes in the bowl.

A straight stem with 3 holes? Interesting. Any chance you could post a pic?

Stu,
Stu said:
zombonaut said:

A straight stem with 3 holes? Interesting. Any chance you could post a pic?

I would like to see this as well. Kinda getting a little pissed that I just bought mine last month and already they have a new model. Oh and the updated stems? Kinda seems I got short changed.

VapeNStone,

Willeh

I wonder how these 3 hole stems compare. I bet they have better airflow and finish the load more evenly near the back. I'm a little peeved I didnt get the 'good' version, but in all fairness my warranty unit has no signs of chipping and I use very snug stems roughly with it. I'm hoping to bring up any 'latent chipping malfunctions' so I can just get a stainless steel unit should there be a reason to. Maybe I could already invoke the warranty because this one tastes funny and my original chipping one did not.

Willeh,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Straight stem & three holes eh ? Let us know how it works please........

smokum,
So I didn't realize it earlier because I hadn't unpacked them, but I too got a three hole bent stem and a three hole straight stem.

I'm mostly experimenting with the straight stem, which I think is just a little long, and appears to be of a ever-so-slightly more narrow tube thickness. Based on an hours' use, I think the extra airflow is immediately noticeable and seems to produce larger clouds. I have tried to just rope it as hard as possible and still can't drop it more than one light under normal load.

In short, the three-hole setup seems to be a welcome improvement.

charliedontsurf,
It's operationally exactly the same, as there is no insert, the bowl has always been stainless steel, but now there is no coating over it. Either the inserts were scrapped or they're just going to be sent out to some people with flaking bowls. It's still hybrid conduction/convection in whatever ratio we all care to decide upon at any given hour.

My straight stem has some shoddy workmanship upon closer examination and some resin backing.

charliedontsurf,
Top Bottom