Arizer Solo

poonman

Hey Guys,
I was wondering which planet cape pvhes I should get for my solo. It's my first aftermarket stem and just want to buy one.

I would suggest the straight regular one for starters , unless you prefer them bent .
Get a Gong adapter for attaching to WT , if you like to water vape .
PV is sending out screens and/or O-rings with each PVHES purchase . ( I only got the screens )

I ended up purchasing one of these solos. To improve the capabilities of the solo I was thinking of buying one of these PVHE stems. If I buy a PVHES do I need to buy one of those GonG things as well or is that only for things like the F bomb and bubblers?

Also, will I need one of these O-rings if I just use one of these PVHE stems?

Get a Gong adapter for attaching to WT , if you like to water vape .
PV is sending out screens and/or O-rings with each PVHES purchase . ( I only got the screens )
Working on that f-bomb vid- i've been looking to upgrade my camera and I think it knows... So everythang is happening via phone and iPad which while do-able is also slower and lower quality than I planned. It's all good tho, hittin my solo as I go and it's all SLOWLY coming together lol!

Here's a few pics in the meantime :)

My SOLO Setup

Paraphernalia-palooza!

Solo/f-bomb mashup.

Old setup meet my new setup :)

In case U were wondering :D Green's the good stuff, Red's the regular stuff, and AVB in the back.

All I need... For now...:)

Nice set-up , can't wait for your vid .
I like the way your COOL mflb is always posing .

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
@Hexi it depends what you are going to do with it. If you want to go usa get it from puffitup or if you want to go cheaper go to ebay. There are no gongs or hes stems stateside unless you have a glass blower willing to make it for you. There are some people in this thread that did it themselves. Some made pvhes type stems and someone even used the aroma bowl to make a longer stem. You can connect to water with tubing to your standard stock stem with no issue. If you want no tubing you can just put a smidge on the outside of your glass just to make a tight connection. You have many options it is just whether or not you want to spend money. If you think you are going to get all the toys then you may as well go to PV right away and get it all at once and no shipping charges cause it will be over the amount and you will fall into free shipping. No matter what I would get a PA whether it be a stock one or the ones offered by the guys here or the jameco one.

Hexi

Yeah the cost on the Planet Vape GonG + tube is pretty reasonable especially with discount.

I forgot to ask this, hash/wax compatible with the Solo or no?

Hexi,
Reactions: Seren

OF

[quote="natural farmer, post: 446575, member: 4587"I haven't seen those notches you have cut but if you point them out to me I will try and give it another go if I order something from PV again and get some more.

About the Mica... It's the whole plasticky thing around our Solo heaters. That's our Mica, and since the fit between those two pieces is not perfect (the part where the top 4 screws keep them together), some of the air is forced through those little gaps instead from the sides of the stem (which is partly blocked by the o-ring).

Anyway, you nor I can be sure about the actual numbers of people having problems with loose Solo stems so there is no point in discussing this.[/quote]

OK, you fooled me by saying "all it does....". I thought you meant that's the only thing it does.....silly me.

And about Mica? That's already a material, we can use it to mean something else (like filled plastic) without expecting some confusion. Is there any real Mica in there? Unlike some other vapes, I think not. BTW, I think you've overlooked the major air path contribution (near as I can tell), there's a gap above the cup and under the factory seal that's open to the outside. Down the stem past the seal is not the only way in, tape it up or block it with a solid o-ring seal and you'll see it still draws fairly well. You can see it pretty clearly looking down the bore. Any leakage in the gap where you describe it is trivial and would be parallel to that path I'd think. In any event, not Mica I found.

I agree agree it's impossible to determine the exact number of owners who find the increased grip from the ring to be a good thing. But there are a lot of them. I bet you'll find one on every few pages? A search on 'ring' shows 200 posts out of 750 pages mention it.....mostly for loose stems? They're not hard to find, in fact pretty common IMO. PV seems to run out of them fairly often, someone is buying them for something. I got half a dozen or so 'thank you, it works great' PMs back. Lots of new owners complained/questioned the stem getting loose after a bit of use, when told 'get a ring' they seemed happy with the advice and results. I intend to keep giving it out as long as that happens.

Here's the photo I posted a while back:

It shows my recommended technique for making them (slice the part that's squeezed out off flush with the vice grip jaws), although my latest version uses 3 notches and has them on the bottom surface, rather than the inside, where they let more air through and still provide full contact for a better grip on the stem. This, I think, separates the sealing from the gripping. I agree we don't want the first (in most cases at least) but the second, gripping the stem, is definitely seen as a useful goal by myself and at least the two dozen plus folks that asked me for rings to grip better.....not a one asked for a blocking of airflow.

By all means give the notches a try, I hope you'll find them useful. I did.

Good luck.

OF

natural farmer

And about Mica? That's already a material, we can use it to mean something else (like filled plastic) without expecting some confusion. Is there any real Mica in there? Unlike some other vapes, I think not. BTW, I think you've overlooked the major air path contribution (near as I can tell), there's a gap above the cup and under the factory seal that's open to the outside. Down the stem past the seal is not the only way in, tape it up or block it with a solid o-ring seal and you'll see it still draws fairly well. You can see it pretty clearly looking down the bore. Any leakage in the gap where you describe it is trivial and would be parallel to that path I'd think. In any event, not Mica I found.

I am pretty sure that it has been discussed again and the material that looks like plastic around the heater is Mica... I don't know why you say it's not. What do you mean by real mica? It can vary in composition I guess but it's still a mica material.

And since I have opened up the heater more than a couple of times I am also pretty sure there is no other way for the air to enter except from the gap between the two mica pieces. When air enters from the top and down the stem it is divided in two streams. One goes behind the SS bowl and up through the four little holes and the other down the walls of the stem and through the gaps that the uneven glass stem edge provides when it touches the SS bottom... Some air comes from the gap between the mica pieces but not much as it depends on the fit of each pair.

natural farmer,
Reactions: Kief

OF

I am pretty sure that it has been discussed again and the material that looks like plastic around the heater is Mica... I don't know why you say it's not. What do you mean by real mica? It can vary in composition I guess but it's still a mica material.

And since I have opened up the heater more than a couple of times I am also pretty sure there is no other way for the air to enter except from the gap between the two mica pieces.

No, mica is a mineral. A rock, you dig it up. It flakes off in layers. You'll find it in some toasters and hair dryers and so on due to it's ability to handle heat well. It's used in 'windows' in home and industrial heater fire boxes in fact since it's translucent. It's used to face the face of the Vapman (factory finished version).

Here's some photos:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mic...hO4iwigKR2YDQDg&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1400&bih=904

It's not a thermoplastic, it won't mold since it won't melt. The heater parts are molded. You're taking about plastic, not some rock. Made of stuff like Calcium, Sodium and so on, but no Hydrogen, Oxygen or Carbon (the major parts of plastics). From a material science POV they're about as dissimilar as they come really.

AFAIK there's no Mica in Solo, for sure it's not making up the body of the heater.

As far as where the air comes in, next time you're investigating, blow gently down into the heater top (you don't even have to do more than unscrew the cover). Follow the airflow, it'll take you right to the (relatively) huge hole the four wires (two from the heater, two from the sensor) use to go through the floor plate to the PCB. You can see it clearly from below, between the screws, opposite one of the clips. Air gets sucked in that hole, about half the total near as I can tell? Any gaps are insignificant IMO.

OF

poonman

+ 1 for the hash sandwich ,

But I really like dripping an oil droplet in the herbs , or some wax crumbles .
Even the reclaim I get from my Gong adapter , I find it extends the # of hits and adds more
volume to your vapor clouds per hit . I'm guessing it's b/c of the liquidity of the oils that adds to it .

I'm finding my own qwiso is working out quite fine , even in my Omicron carts .
But now I'm also using it for my Solo ' Duo - Shots ' . ( is that an oxi-moron ? )

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker

The o-rings restricted the draw too much for my liking. The loose stems really weren't bothersome to me anyway. And my Solo body pulls away from the GonG/bubbler assembly easily and cleanly for a clearing pull. I have them just in case I have a mind to use em, but probably won't.

Snappo,

OF

The o-rings restricted the draw too much for my liking. The loose stems really weren't bothersome to me anyway. And my Solo body pulls away from the GonG/bubbler assembly easily and cleanly for a clearing pull. I have them just in case I have a mind to use em, but probably won't.

Cool. Like I said, if you don't like the restriction try the notch idea.

Not all guys care about loose stems, I don't if it's straight. But the bent one runs off on it's own as I raise the Solo up sometimes......I find that distracting.

Best wishes.

OF

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
I care if as I move my hand away from my mouth my stem goes flying....I don't think they were made to fly as far as I know. I don't find any restriction with the orings. If you vape enough they ended up causing none after a while because they become way looser but will still hold the stem from flying. I can't lift my solo by the stem so it isnt' that tight. I just tried in the name of :science: and out it came.

Last edited:

eLiguL

I care if as I move my hand away from my mouth my stem goes flying....I don't think there were made to fly as far as I know. I don't find any restriction with the orings. If you vape enough they ended up causing none after a while because they become way looser but will still hold the stem from flying. I can't lift my solo by the stem so it isnt' that tight. I just tried in the name of :science: and out it came.

SCIENCE!

OF

I like the restricted air flow!

Me too, but I'm a sipper by nature. I'm in no big rush I guess.

Different strokes, I guess? But while I think that a stock stem in a worn seal is about a push with a PVHES and an o-ring, I think notching the ring takes that out of the picture draw wise. I go back and forth between solid rings and notched ones, right now 3 notches on the bottom is what's there.

New units are different from the older friends many of us spend our time with, also a factor.

OF

sasNW

Hey guys been trying to find an answer for my buddy about arizer warranty and can't find exactly.

So my buddy just bought a solo from a lhs without knowing any better. After he brought it over I saw that its a m-103! The shop is closed now so he wants to try to return in tomorrow. But if they won't take it, is he stuck with no warranty and an old machine as it didn't come with any warranty card he said. Thanks for any help

sasNW,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I'd keep it. M103's are solid. I'm still using mine and it works great. If I could buy an OG M103 instead of a M1A or whatever, I'd do it. The ceramic lining on the bowl will eventually chip away, but they were/are a solid model for most folks around here.

:peace:

Last edited:

sasNW

Nice thanks stu, ill tell him to try it tonight and see what he thinks then. any idea on the warranty if something does happen to it? He seems to be more worried about the warranty, and I've found both people saying arizer doesn't cover unauthorized and some say they do

sasNW,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I can't speak for Arizer. But I don't recall an instance where Arizer refused to warranty a dud no matter where it was bought. If he is concerned, I would shoot Arizer an email and ask about your specific concerns. They are typically very helpful.

:peace:

sasNW

Sounds good, that's what I figured. I told him Who knows if he will even need it, I bought my extreme q off eBay about 4 years ago I think and still running like new. Thanks again for the help

Just curious, do the new ones run a lot better? His solo will be the first I've tried

sasNW,
Reactions: Stu

BubbaGump

sasNW,
Sorry can't help you on warranty info as I never had to use warranty, but can tell you this. Had a ceramic version for several years with no problems at all. No chipping either, so I must have been careful. Just gave to a buddy for his 50th birthday, as he has always been in love with it, along with a nice new bong and accessories. Gave him his pick of several, but he loved THAT one! :rant: Did make him promise to get it back to me if he got rid of it or it died, so I could save it. ;)

sasNW

Well hell I may just end up buying it off of him with the glowing endorsements. I was planning to order one, which is why he picked one up. Except now he is saying the charge light isn't fully working on its initial charge haha so maybe not. But we will see how it does, hopefully it's actually charging for him

sasNW,
Reactions: ataxian

sasNW

Ya it does, thanks dreamer. he's keeping me updated since I told him I'm thinking about buying it off him. He says the charge light is really faint, but it is advancing 1-7 so must be charging.

I'm gonna take it for a test run tomorrow since he can't try it till after work. If it charges well and arizer gets back to his email I am going to buy it off of him.

sasNW,
Top Bottom