Arizer Solo

dorkus_molorkus

Mcnerdius,
actually, it was your post & pic that had me go in that direction. i had read on the DBV thread ( i think it was DBV) about the benefits of concave screens before.

I just couldnt bend a flat one into shape properly, I was having enough of a hassle with the flat ones TBH.
I was actually seeking domed screen when one was offered to me.

With the Uber screen (great name BTW), i was seeking very specific results, at 1st I tried it the right way up.
While pleased with the intitial results, I wasnt thrilled.

When I inverted the screen & lost 80% of it bowl capacity as well, the results were impressive.
exactly what I was looking for, i have now trimmed one of them down a bit & achieved 40-50% of its original capacity.

I get 2 great big foggy milky hits, then a smaller one, empty, rinse & repeat as required.
Really very happy with the results, thanks for the original idea & info.

A top idea, just needed the uber screen & an illadvised need for big milky hits! - :p

Now the only critisism I have is, this method gets me really, really baked.

what a bummer :D

dorkus_molorkus,
Oh and if you want to drive the six hours my door is always open. FYI it's green crack kief

EDIT: how the he'll did my post get here? Hmmmm

VapeNStone,

McNerdius

god of nerds
dorkus_molorkus said:
Mcnerdius,
actually, it was your post & pic that had me go in that direction.

Well i certainly feel like less of a whacko eccentric oddball freak knowing that ! :D

dorkus_molorkus said:
I just couldnt bend a flat one into shape properly, I was having enough of a hassle with the flat ones TBH.
When I inverted the screen & lost 80% of it bowl capacity as well, the results were impressive. exactly what I was looking for, i have now trimmed one of them down a bit & achieved 40-50% of its original capacity.

Oddly enough, i stumbled across this idea while hassling with my screens. I'd cut a screen down to 'fit right in' ... well, it didnt. I forced it in with my poker, which gave it the dome. I'm like "meh i'll just turn it over" and didn't think much of it. Till a few stems later. My reaction was as follows: :suspicious: :haw: :o :whoa: :razz:

Also, my preferred 'dome size' has expanded to occupy something like 1/3 to 1/2 the bowl, much like yours. Yours are better though, by far ! I *must* find some of those things !

dorkus_molorkus said:
I get 2 great big foggy milky hits, then a smaller one, empty, rinse & repeat as required.
Really very happy with the results, thanks for the original idea & info.

A top idea, just needed the uber screen & an illadvised need for big milky hits! - :p

Now the only critisism I have is, this method gets me really, really baked.

what a bummer :D

Ya know, i think we can share credit on this one lol ! I might have posted the shitty pic first, but you posted the Uber Pic of the UBER SCREEN and thanks to that other peeps are taking notice. Oh and yes... very baked. Bery Vaked ? Some shit...

/waits for :solo: to be added to smilies :smug:

McNerdius,

dorkus_molorkus

I really must thank the Original Poster in the DBV thread, whom I think it was Vitolo who provided the original tip. (my sincere apologies if I am incorrect)

So,many thanks as well uncle vito.

I hope some of you other cloud chasing solo users can find some of these screens at a reasonable price &
have a go at this yourselves.

I am very interested to see if others have the same sort of experience as mcnerdius & I.

Cause I am finding using the solo this way.................. makes it kick like a mule.
I have done nothing this week so far, just sitting around baked off my ass for the last 3 days.
Great fun tho, its almost like the bad ol days of pulling cones, nearly as fast and of course it vapor!
woo fucking hoo :lol:

dorkus_molorkus,

dorkus_molorkus

here it is......

3 stems with the solo and the UBER screen in living colour!

UBER SCREEN SOLO

righto then, 2 things.
yes,i know I have too much water in the bong.
and yes, i know the stems are filthy. get fucked, shout me some ISO.

enjoy

:peace:

dorkus_molorkus,

McNerdius

god of nerds
dorkus_molorkus said:
I really must thank the Original Poster in the DBV thread, whom I think it was Vitolo who provided the original tip. (my sincere apologies if I am incorrect)

So,many thanks as well uncle vito.

So there is a dorkus and a mcnerdius, both like-minded nephews of the great Uncle Vito. Sounds good to me ! Hehehe ! Merely pawns in the world of dome-screens. There goes all trace of whacko eccentric oddball freak, but now i just feel DUMB considering that this is all over the place and i actually felt some kind of special for 'discovering' something 'new' - :rolleyes: :doh: yeah.... 'special' hehe

Seriously though, i did some digging and found the discussion in question, for those interested:

It starts a bit earlier in the thread, but this link sends you 'back in time' a couple times. Fun stuff, it's kinda like... i dunno, e-time travel through the wormholes that are hyperlinks... OK i am kinda out of it right now, nite nite. :zzz:

McNerdius,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Shiver me timbers, it really works! I wasn't particularly impressed with a normal screen installation- I felt it hit better just straight in the glass where it was a restricted draw, but thicker.

But like this it's an easier draw, and thicker too

I can't really get my head around why this should work though? With the SSV/DBV it's advised by 7th floor to have a convex screen (not to steal vitolo's glory- maybe it was convergent evolution? ;)), in order to ensure even airflow across the whole screen rather than just the centre. This doesn't seem to apply quite the same with the twin holed Solo stem, but it must be something of a similar principle.

But it works well. And I don't mind the resulting slightly smaller bowl :2c:

WatTyler,

Vaped Ape

MMJ Therapist specializing in gynecology~wannabe
A tip on doming screens. Bend them over the blunt end of a reg size Sharpie. Works gooh.

Da Ape.

Vaped Ape,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Vaped Ape, I read your post on the previous page about ideas to improve the airflow and it makes sense to me now. Keep us informed about your findings please.

To be honest I really liked my snug fitting stem with the slightly enlarged holes. I miss it and I wish I never broke it. It wasn't great for long bong rips because it would loose heat to quickly for those, but otherwise it was really nice to use and the hits were a little less airy then with the loose stems I have now I think. I hope that one day the price of the stems drop to < 5 bucks so I can just buy a dozen to seek out the tighter ones.

K, I guess I'm next to try that domed screen everyone seems so enthusiastic about now. The work just never seems to end *sighs* :brow:

OhTheAgony,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Arizer!

I revised my numbers lately. These are the temperature settings i'd want to see on the Solo II:

40 C (104 F)
171 C (340 F)
182 C (360 F)
191 C (380 F)
204 C (400 F)
277 C (531 F)

My guess is i wouldn't need more than that when vaporizing "on the field"...

...and this makes 7th LED free for other purposes, as a bonus!

:2c:

Egzoset,
Vaped Ape said:
A tip on doming screens. Bend them over the blunt end of a reg size Sharpie. Works gooh.

Da Ape.
This is what I did to get the screen in that I showed. You can also use your pinky :-)

VapeNStone,

Vaped Ape

I have one other idea for someone with a tight fitting stem who mostly likes the fact that it's tight but would like just a hair more draw. Now this is just an experiment.

Take a clean glass stem and place it bowl down on a clean piece of glass. Must be absolutely flat. Now suck it bitch--oh sorry. But drawn on it and if it is flat there should be little to no draw. Now tip it just a cunt hair--oh sorry. Ok, you will feel the difference right away.

What if one took a die grinder or dremel with a cutting disc and made an ever so slight cut across the end diameter of the stem bowl. So slight that powdered piff will not leak into the chamber. If you like that, turn the stem 90* and make a second cut. First cut should be the thickness of dental floss. Just about a scuff.You can always cut deeper but you can't reverse it.

Make sure you wear gloves and wear safety glasses when using a die grinder or Dremel.

Loose stems you can just rock so probably no gain with this.

Who has a tight stem that is broken on the mouth end that would be willing to try this experiment?

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

Egzoset

Banned
...and i'd certainly not want to even con$ider the $olo II until it$ glass/me$h i$$ue$ have been thouroughly addre$$ed to the satisfaction of the existing owners base on FC!!! Well, i could still get one offered to me as a free gift (), that is, but i don't think so!...

:2c: :2c: :2c: :2c: :2c:

The thing is i suspect the average vaporist only wants to vaporize, the rest comes as a hobby on the side-line...

Egzoset,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
277 C (531 F)

This may be too high for the plastics involved that might be in the range of the heater. PEEK can go to 700F, but it doesn't look like that is used in the Solo.

Hippie Dickie,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Has anyone with a Solo tried stretching a short section of high temperature silicone tubing over the outside of their glass tube to get a better seal? The silicone tubing would be positioned so that the glass still extends most of the way down into the bowl, but the silicone seals at the top of the bowl when it is pressed into the bowl. The silicone won't slide because it is stretched.
Here is a photo of a similar configuration I have started using. Just imagine the metal part is the glass tube.
Loose fitting glass tubes could now provide a very tight seal. It should also protect from burns due to hot glass.

siliconetoastytubetip.jpg

Alan,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Ok, I'm on board the domed screen train too I guess.

I don't really notice a difference in draw speed or drag, but the vapor seems denser for some reason I fail to understand. I also like the fact that the smaller bowls give me an excuse to not conserve so much and start on a higher setting right away.

Egzoset: just because you have to insert a screen yourself? No offense, but that sounds kinda silly to be honest. Also, what would you use the 40 degree setting for, and how do you produce one of those '' little symbols?

:)

TV: I don't think we would be getting any air through at all with one of those mate.

OhTheAgony,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
OhTheAgony said:
TV: I don't think we would be getting any air through at all with one of those mate.

I did not suggest that they be used on the Solo. I was suggesting adding a high temp silicone sleeve to the outside of a Solo glass tube. I was only providing a photo for an example. A short section of silicone tubing from a whip vaporizer should be about the right size to stretch over the Solo glass tube.

Alan,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
edit: never mind, I make no sense.

I always assumed that the air entered the Solo bowl from within the heating chamber via the outside of the glass stem, but I just screwed off the top cap of my Solo, sealed my lips around the heating chamber, and I'll be darned, there is an airflow and it's just about as the same as through an inserted but empty Solo stem. So I was wrong. Proceed please :p

OhTheAgony,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations OnTheAgony,

No offense taken, i'm just pointing out that a product as expensive and prestigious as the future Arizer Solo II should come with all the bells & whistles ready to work correctly right out of the box. The lower limit of 40 C (104 F) results from previous (but recent) posts where "accelerated curing" happened to be discussed. As for the degree sign, it's an OS issue but i suggest you launch 'CharMap' from your command prompt...

Egzoset,
TV said:
Has anyone with a Solo tried stretching a short section of high temperature silicone tubing over the outside of their glass tube to get a better seal? The silicone tubing would be positioned so that the glass still extends most of the way down into the bowl, but the silicone seals at the top of the bowl when it is pressed into the bowl. The silicone won't slide because it is stretched.
Here is a photo of a similar configuration I have started using. Just imagine the metal part is the glass tube.
Loose fitting glass tubes could now provide a very tight seal. It should also protect from burns due to hot glass.

http://www.toasty-top.com/images/siliconetoastytubetip.jpg

I had a piece of silicone left over from the old days - it was originally meant to seat a old-school downstem inside of a bong's body. Anyway, it fits perfectly over the stem of the Solo and allows me to make a perfect seal with a 18.8mm female GonG stem, which is what most of my pieces use. So, yeah, I've done it, and have pretty much only done it since. If I use the Solo, 3/4 times it's through water.

Edit: I've been experimenting with the domed screen and the tiny bowl size it allows, and it's definitely something wroth screwing around with.

charliedontsurf,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
charliedontsurf said:
I had a piece of silicone left over from the old days - it was originally meant to seat a old-school downstem inside of a bong's body. Anyway, it fits perfectly over the stem of the Solo and allows me to make a perfect seal with a 18.8mm female GonG stem, which is what most of my pieces use. So, yeah, I've done it, and have pretty much only done it since. If I use the Solo, 3/4 times it's through water.

Have you tried the silicone tubing on the other end of the glass tube? The end that inserts into the heat port? The silicone tubing does not go all the way to the end. It still allows the glass to go into the heat port of the Solo.

Alan,
Alan not to be an ass but anything that goes in the solo's heatport likes to eat up those ceramic sides. BUT you do bring an excellent idea to the table that Arizer could implement to save manufacturing costs as well as raised VAPOR2AIR ratio if the silicon was just right.

biojuggernaut,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I have failed miserably at trying to explain. I wish I had a Solo glass tube that I could use and take a photo to explain better.
The silicone does not fit into the heat port. It is too big. Only the glass goes into the heat port. The glass cannot go all the way into the heat port because of the piece of silicone tubing stretched over it and positioned a half inch or so from the roasting end of the glass tube. The seal is made at the very top edge of the heat port when you try to push the glass tube farther into the heat port.
Isn't the heat port going to be stainless steel from now on? Maybe I missed some posts.

Alan,
TV said:
I have failed miserably at trying to explain. I wish I had a Solo glass tube that I could use and take a photo to explain better.
The silicone does not fit into the heat port. It is too big. Only the glass goes into the heat port. The glass cannot go all the way into the heat port because of the piece of silicone tubing stretched over it and positioned a half inch or so from the roasting end of the glass tube. The seal is made at the very top edge of the heat port when you try to push the glass tube farther into the heat port.
Isn't the heat port going to be stainless steel from now on? Maybe I missed some posts.
yeah but wouldn't your weed fall into the chamber instead of staying in the bowl?

VapeNStone,

Vaped Ape

OhTheAgony said:
edit: never mind, I make no sense.

I always assumed that the air entered the Solo bowl from within the heating chamber via the outside of the glass stem, but I just screwed off the top cap of my Solo, sealed my lips around the heating chamber, and I'll be darned, there is an airflow and it's just about as the same as through an inserted but empty Solo stem. So I was wrong. Proceed please :p

I tried this too and discovered that I really could not seal my lips to the chamber as the corners of my mouth was drawing air no matter how hard I tried. I took it a step further and found a piece of black rubber hose in the garage. I really had to struggle to get it inserted into the chamber. A very very tight seal. I then cut the hose to a 1 inch length. The hose is now inserted most of the way into the chamber, maybe 5/8 inch, but not covering the 4 tiny mystery holes in the floor of the chamber. Results were almost no draw but I could hear a trace. I was aware that the revolving ring at the top of the chamber would let some air seep past it so I took extra strength electrical tape and sealed that revolving ring off at the base of the hose. The drawn now is virtually unmeasurable.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,
Top Bottom