Arizer Solo

Vaped Ape

MMJ Therapist specializing in gynecology~wannabe
TV I am following you very well. I realize you speak of hi temp silicone but will the high temp silicone still produce a slight offgas that will then become part of the air path?

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Vaped Ape said:
TV I am following you very well. I realize you speak of hi temp silicone but will the high temp silicone still produce a slight offgas that will then become part of the air path?

Da Ape

I'm not sure how much the silicone will off gas without exceeding its temperature limits. The top doesn't get over 500F does it?
Of course if the top ring does not provide a tight seal to the bowl / air path, then the silicone probably won't help.

Alan,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Vaped,

No because the silicone is on the outside of the tube and need only be put on so it slightly breaches the top hole.

Alan,

This is potential genius.

Everyone else.

Fully seat a tube. Hold the tip of a sharpie against the tube while spinning it around. The silicone only has to go maybe 1/8" below the line. The tubing I have for my E is not big enough. The business end of the tube is 1/2" od and 3/8" id. Time to order from U.S. Plastics.

chucku,

Vaped Ape

^^^
1/8 inch below the line is outrages. The fine particulates of herb with fall out into the chamber. Our research on this forum (60+ pages) is far beyond this. Read the entire thread and you will see this has all been discussed in one form or another. Try this with very fine herb and report back.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Ape,

The whole point is that the stem is fully inserted with the silicone penetrating 1/8" max through the top hole. Thereby providing sufficient thickness so the stem does not freely spin.

chucku,

Vaped Ape

^^^Ok. I thought that you were sliding the hose down 1/8 inch below the line and the entire hose set on top of the cap not thru. One of the things we have found though is the guys with loose stems like the draw or extra leak past where the cap meets the stem. Not only are they drawing down along side the stem but they also can rock the stem allowing air under the stem where it meets the chamber floor. So this would stop the stem from rotating but it will also decrease overall flow so that will need to be addressed I think. I proposed a slight serration cut or filed into the hole.

Also this would have to be very thin wall hose. When you get thin walled hose what will keep it from rolling up when the stem is inserted? Time for someone with loose stems to give it a go. All my stems are tight.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

Vaped Ape

I would think maybe a thick wall hose could be used and the cap drilled to fit the hose and
the final few .000 inch would need to be filed to create an interference fit. Then you must live with the results. I would see if Arizer will part with a cap off a warrantied Solo for trial.

Da Aoe

Vaped Ape,

Vaped Ape

dorkus That's why I do not want to experiment with my stems until after I see what my stainless Solo #2 turns up with when it gets here. Solo # 1 has 4 stems and all are tight. Just the way it is. I believe the inconsistencies are in the non precision stems.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

dorkus_molorkus

''I believe the inconsistencies are in the non precision stems.'''

same stem 2 differents solos that look exactly the same but in solo A stem is loose, and in solo B
the same stem is tight. the difference in my case is in the solo's, not the stem.

although I have tight ones and loose ones, I prefer the loose ones myself.

dorkus_molorkus,

Vaped Ape

dorkus,

Ah got you. So both pieces, cap and stems, (though I have never measured my stems as my caliper batteries are down) are most likely non-precision. Missed that part of your post. Well since you and I will both be working with 2 Solos we can move the cap we like back and forth between the two. I wonder if there was a production change at some point on the caps? Earlier Solos loose, later Solos tight. I do know that my first Solo had a white nylon clip beneath the chamber, and several of the guys mention they had black nylon clips.

To pursue this theory a bit. Anybody out there have a black clip Solo with a tight fit cap to stem???

Also maybe there is a difference between black and silver Solos. My first Solo that is tight is silver.
Anybody have a tight fit black case Solo? These damn different color Solos might have come out of two different production facilities hence the different tolerances on the cap hole. I have also noticed that some of the silver Solos have a black control panel. Just think how helpful Steve @ Arizer could be if he was on FC.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

dorkus_molorkus

both my solos are black, but I will check the nylon clip colour.
Maybe the earlier production= loose/ & later production = tighter.

Perhaps also an indicator of the flakey ones?? Later production resulted in the thickness of the ceramic coating
being increased in order to stop the flaking?

The ceramic paint wasnt applied thick enough before.
Now I know arizer has explained the flaking cause, I am just playing devils advocate, and mayhaps explain
2 solos, 1 stem fitting each solo differently.

anyhoo, they both work a treat & are both having a rest at the mo. (ran out of stash, and am combusting a
small amount of jelly hash made from some ABV QWISO wash till I can hook up.)

:peace:

edit- for basic sentence structure that makes some sense.

dorkus_molorkus,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I asked if the people with the flaking problem all had black rings a while back, but I don't think anyone responded or I must have missed it.

I suspect the ones with the white rings are ok, but for all I know it doesn't say anything.

I would love to trade my loose stems for you tight ones btw Durkus, to bad you live so far away dude.

Still puzzled by the different bowl sizes. I wish the Arizer people would participate here to answer little questions like that. Perhaps I should just gather them all and send them in an email once a month or something.

OhTheAgony,

vape4life

Banned for life
dorkus: sick vid!!! Nice to see how you roll :)

I mentioned this many pages back regarding different solos, same stems, different fit. It's not the cap, but rather that ring at the top of the heater. My replacement solo fit the stems waaay tighter. I'm assuming to address the flaking issue. However, I just noticed a tiny spot at the bottom of the bowl that is a chip/flake. It's small, but there...the walls are still fine. Not enough to bother with warranty yet, i'll wait until it gets worse.

vape4life,

vape4life

Banned for life
So you can use the solo on a/c and bypass the battery for only $10 on ebay? That's a pretty significant savings. what's the name of it? just to know what to search for.

OhTheAgony said:
I'm happy to report that the cheap PS2 Lite power supply WatTyler found on ebay works great with the Solo. Anyone can have a AC power supply for the Solo for under 10 bucks just as long as soldering a smaller plug on it isn't a problem for you.

edit: I looked and asked around for a plug-in adapter that would fit the PS2 charger and Solo without soldering but couldn't find one. I don't believe that something like that doesn't exist though, so that might also be an option for the ones that don't have - or trust themselves with a soldering iron.

:

vape4life,

Vaped Ape

^^^^ vape4Life

My stems are all tight at the lid not at the ring so I dunno. Just trying to funnel some of this issue on fit down to see if the issue will steadily get better. Hopefully the new SS chamber will have a SS top ring too. Having said that I will still work to make a difference for the guys that have loose stems,perhaps those that bought early. Now, the date you bought will really not tell us much, but might be a hint, because we still don't know how long the Solo set on the shelf. Lot number or serial number would be more telling but we won't know that until Arizer decides to tell with some specifics. For now all we can look at is characteristics-outside color and color of inside clip. Tough going to nail down this info.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

Vaped Ape

smokecity said:
Just received this update from Arizer regarding the new stainless steel replacement solos...

Hello,

Thank you for your email. The new units have just arrived and we are working hard to get all replacement units shipped as quickly as possible. I will email you again soon with your shipment information.

Best Regards,
Kevin
Arizer Tech
service@arizer.com

Should be shipping anyday now.:):)

@charlliedon'tsurf

That was posted afternoon of 9/19/11. Get ready pal. Sounds promising. Waiting for my Stainless Solo too.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Vaped Ape said:
OhTheAgony said:
edit: never mind, I make no sense.

I always assumed that the air entered the Solo bowl from within the heating chamber via the outside of the glass stem, but I just screwed off the top cap of my Solo, sealed my lips around the heating chamber, and I'll be darned, there is an airflow and it's just about as the same as through an inserted but empty Solo stem. So I was wrong. Proceed please :p

I tried this too and discovered that I really could not seal my lips to the chamber as the corners of my mouth was drawing air no matter how hard I tried. I took it a step further and found a piece of black rubber hose in the garage. I really had to struggle to get it inserted into the chamber. A very very tight seal. I then cut the hose to a 1 inch length. The hose is now inserted most of the way into the chamber, maybe 5/8 inch, but not covering the 4 tiny mystery holes in the floor of the chamber. Results were almost no draw but I could hear a trace. I was aware that the revolving ring at the top of the chamber would let some air seep past it so I took extra strength electrical tape and sealed that revolving ring off at the base of the hose. The drawn now is virtually unmeasurable.

Da Ape

Interesting, that would suggest that most of the air comes from between those two rings aye?

It was a bit awkward to do btw, and I'm not gonna video it :lol:

The strange shape of the outside of the heating chamber made it a little difficult but I did get a seal eventually. I held the Solo with one hand and placed the heating chamber diagonally in my mouth while I pressed the corners of my lips inwards with my other hand.

Vape4Life:

Just look for 'PS2 Lite charger' on ebay, mine came from Singapore and was about 7 euro's incl. shipping. It got here in just 7 days or so. The plug that's on it is to big though, you have to find one that matches the Solo. WatTyler found those on ebay as well and posted a link for it a some pages back, but I'm pretty sure you can find them locally somewhere like I did as well.

OhTheAgony,

Vaped Ape

Oh the Agony

I believe most comes down the side of the stem from all points above not just the ring area but thru the cap vents and big hole. Still perplexed about the 4 holes in bottom of chamber and the chamber would have to come off the Solo to probe those 4 tiny holes properly. I tried to probe them with.025 inch stainless wire and the holes are smaller yet. I did get a tiny straight pin to probe only about .125 inch. I took a sharpie and colored the end of the pin and was able to get some depth reading but still not sure how deep the holes are or where they go to. I venture to guess some users and never spotted the 4 little holes. I once thought they were there to help the chamber seat during assy. As the chamber is pressed into place the air behind will need to escape or there will be a hydraulic effect.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

smokecity

Vaped Ape said:
smokecity said:
Just received this update from Arizer regarding the new stainless steel replacement solos...

Hello,

Thank you for your email. The new units have just arrived and we are working hard to get all replacement units shipped as quickly as possible. I will email you again soon with your shipment information.

Best Regards,
Kevin
Arizer Tech
service@arizer.com

Should be shipping anyday now.:):)

@charlliedon'tsurf

That was posted afternoon of 9/19/11. Get ready pal. Sounds promising. Waiting for my Stainless Solo too.

Da Ape

Just did a follow up again regarding the replacement solo and just received this....

Hello,

Thank you for your email. I am sorry to have to inform you, but the replacement units are not ready to ship yet. After they arrived at our distribution warehouse the units were tested thoroughly and were deemed unfit to ship. Our engineers are working hard to resolve this issues and we are hoping to have replacement units ready to ship by next week. I sincerely apologize for the delay.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Kevin
Arizer Tech
service@arizer.com

I wonder what the problem is now?

smokecity,

Vaped Ape

I have emailed Vapeinacape. He reported back on page 65 that his Solo quit working. If he was allowed by Arizer to keep his broken Solo maybe he will agree to disassemble and post some snaps of the underside of the chamber.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

Vaped Ape

@smokecity

Must be thermal differences or dimensions. Not much else unless the machinist left out the 4 small holes. What ever the reason a week delay seems optimistic. Damn....let me bogart my vape tonite.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

smokecity

@Vaped Ape
I just emailed Arizer back and to be honest this is getting annoying with apology after apology. Spending almost $300 and being promised a replacement in 2 weeks which we are going on 4 weeks now just doesn't make sense. I am all for them perfecting their product but in my eyes this should have already been taken care of before releasing their product or already in the works to fix the problem. I am a very easy person to please and I'm hoping that Arizer compensates us all and makes up big time for this issue.

Is anyone still using their solo with the ceramic peeling in their bowl?

smokecity,

dorkus_molorkus

''Is anyone still using their solo with the ceramic peeling in their bowl?'''

yep, sure am. I dont care about the flaking too much, I do however keep a very close eye on it.

:peace:

dorkus_molorkus,
Top Bottom