Arizer Solo

sundrk

Coustom Arizer Solo Car Adaptor (Merged)

Hey guys, I've had this idea to make a power adapter for the Solo that could be used in the car to run the unit. I looked long and far for a solution and nothing exists. I present to use my home made solo power supply!

oGQVfh.jpg

More pics: http://imgur.com//a/Xjl14

It's output is set at 8.5V and it's rated to 8A.

I used an old DC inverter for the case and nice 12V auto plug. I found the SMPS module from some random Chinese site (about $15, took over a month to get it) and rigged it all together. I sourced the plugs and switch from radio shack (total ripoff cost about $17). I ended up spending the same about as buying the AC power supply but this one can still be used at home with a DC power supply (I hooked it up to my computer's 12V rail and worked great). Or you could buy a cheap laptop SMPS for home use and this will step down the voltage to 8.5V

I originally had it set to 9V as indicated on the bottom of the solo but I was getting an error (lights 1-3 + idle flashing), it read that the power supply Arizer uses outputs at 8.5V after adjusting mine to 8.5V it worked just fine.

sundrk

Fwlfw.jpg

I guess I should post this here, I made a DC power adapter for my Solo. You plug it into any DC source ~11-18V (the power jack on a car runs around 12-14V), I haven't tested the current draw but the power supply is rated to 8A, All the wires are nice and beefy for high current loads. The only exception being the connector going into the solo, I haven't found an EIAJ-2 (1.7x4.0 mm) connector rated to 5A but the I'm using is pretty heavy duty so I'm confident it will be fine (equivalent to the OEM one).

Here are some little details I found out about the solo that could help others with their tinkering. The bottom of the solo says 9V in for heating, it should be 8.5V. When I run it at 9V the solo will give an error (the idle-1-2-3 lights will blink on/off in sync), after trying 8.5V it worked fine (8.5V is also the output on the OEM wall power supply). I'm not sure why the ps2 slim adapters were failing, as they're supposed to be putting out 8.5V/5.64A, the Arizer OEM power adapter is 8.5V/5A. It's possible that the person that had the failure was using a recalled ps2 slim power supply (see link below).
http://www.cnet.com.au/sony-recalls-slim-line-ps2-power-adapters-240056980.htm

If anyone is thinking about building their own:
You need a switch mode power supply that outputs 8.5V and >5A (I went with 8A to be safe). I got mine for this Chinese retailer: xscyz

The connector plugging into the solo is an EIAJ-2 (1.7mm ID x 4.0mm OD).
I gutted an old DC inverter for the plug and case, gorilla glued the power supply module to the case and soldered a few connections together. You set the output voltage with a trim adjuster (the blue box with the brass screw). You could even wire a little circuit to where the trim adjuster goes so you can have a 3 position switch for charging (12V), running (8.5V) and off.

I'm by no means an electrical engineer so hopefully this is all safe and I wont start a fire :). I haven't had a chance to do a lot of testing but the Solo does heat up fine went testing it. The power supply module has protections in place to prevent overheating and catastrophic failures.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I think that the reason the PS2 adapters were failing were from improper soldering. They used stranded wire so when you are soldering with that it is really easy to mess up and short circuit it. If I remember correctly, out of three that tried it, one actually did work.

I'm sure you will be fine using a standard barrel plug. Good job on this mod; and it seems to me like you have all of the valid precautions taken so I don't think your going to be in any danger from it. Thanks for posting your work

CentiZen,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
anyone know the actual screen size for solo stems? Non PVHES if that makes any difference at all.

mvapes,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Showing my Solo some love on a Sat. morning... :D I'm using the M1D and have run it 3 cycles on 7, and now get no read out on the battery meter when powering up. It's still warming though, and I should be able to get more than 3 rounds, not even letting it go the full 12 mins. Other than the battery meter, it's performing as it should, compared to my M107.

jambandphan03,

Saccs

Hello FC... I have finally decided to pull the trigger and pick up the Solo... It arrived yesterday and I noticed it wasn't the same model as advertised... From reading a 100 or so pages I've noticed much have been said about my Model (M104) I'm pretty sure I can gripe and have it returned... But if it's not any major flaws I'd rather keep it and enjoy getting medicated... I know the stem fits very loosely (but really not sure if thats a problem or a deal breaker) unclear about anything else... Thanks in advance for any advice or information provided.

Saccs,

hoptimum

Hello FC... I have finally decided to pull the trigger and pick up the Solo... It arrived yesterday and I noticed it wasn't the same model as advertised... From reading a 100 or so pages I've noticed much have been said about my Model (M104) I'm pretty sure I can gripe and have it returned... But if it's not any major flaws I'd rather keep it and enjoy getting medicated... I know the stem fits very loosely (but really not sure if thats a problem or a deal breaker) unclear about anything else... Thanks in advance for any advice or information provided.
I think the loose fitting stem is typical. My advice, once you break it in, would be to get some screens and experiment with temperature levels and try it with a bong.

hoptimum,
hi Aviation Crew Members,

I have Arizer Solo model: M1D it seems to charge in about 1h30m, this is much faster than advertised, is this newer version equipped with a different (fast)charger or does it have a different battery configuration?

Thanks...

Eindjedegekste,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker

Did you buy the m104 as new? Don't get me wrong, that's a great model - the last with the ceramic core. Its just odd that most retailers are on the M1d or newer - my only gripe would be that your unit may have been sitting in inventory for a while. Again, there's no expiration date but I would question the retailers inability to disclose what model you were getting. Either way - good luck, the solo is Awesome!

mvapes,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
What pages should I read to find out the differences in models or production numbers as they call them. I started reading from the beginning but this thread is long. I was told the 104 is a good model with a loser stem and the 107 is just tighter. I want to be able to read all the differences. If anyone knows off hand what 50 pages I need to read it would be great.

Dreamerr,

poonman

What pages should I read to find out the differences in models or production numbers as they call them. I started reading from the beginning but this thread is long. I was told the 104 is a good model with a loser stem and the 107 is just tighter. I want to be able to read all the differences. If anyone knows off hand what 50 pages I need to read it would be great.

Just be safe , and get the M107 or the latest M1D models .
Why bother with the older styles , especially the ceramic ones . ( not that they're bad )
Just older models , that's all . Some have griped about the ceramic chipping issues with the earlier models .

I am surprised that they're still selling M104's though . ( probably clearing old inventory )
How much did you pay for your Solo Saccs and where you get it ?

poonman,

vapeguy

Near the top of page 358 (the page before this one) someone answered my question asking the differences between all models.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/arizer-solo.3833/page-358#post-286079

vapeguy,
Reactions: Dreamerr

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Well unless they work for Arizer, I doubt your going to find anyone who has all of the versions and has done a totally detailed breakdown of how they differ. Arizer says that these numbers aren't even the model numbers but instead correspond to the production runs that they did. It's not really a cut and dry situation with the versioning of these vaporizers. You'll get a different answer from everyone depending on the version they have used.

However, this is the situation to my knowledge.

M101 - Don't know if this actually exists. If it does it was probably a preproduction run for partners

M102 - First known production run, ceramic crucible, and what we will call v1 of the software

M103 - Slightly better battery life, unit is noticeably lighter than M102. No noticeable change in performance

M105 - Introduced a model with a stainless steel crucible. Ceramic models still produced. Both models have a new PTFE retention ring on them. New firmware which has the effect of lowering the run temperatures about ten degrees and getting rid of the heat light skipping bug.

M106 - Stainless models only. Another new firmware which returns the temperature scale to normal but still fixes the light issue

M107 - No change

M1D - New software which alters the battery capacity reporting algorithm, owners notice batter looses levels faster.

you missed the M104 - loose stem but better battery, last model with the ceramic core.

mvapes,

Dreamerr

What is so bad about the ceramic core? Is there a smell issue? I saw there is a chipping issue but don't you really have to abuse it to do that?

Dreamerr,

poonman

What is so bad about the ceramic core? Is there a smell issue? I saw there is a chipping issue but don't you really have to abuse it to do that?

Not a smell issue ,
But more like a health issue .
They were put off by the possibility of inhaling ceramic toxins , whether founded or not .

edit ; idk about abuse , but more like the intense heat that was causing it to chip .

poonman,
Reactions: Dreamerr

stickstones

Vapor concierge
it was a manufacturing defect that would occur on a small percentage of units produced. the ceramic would chip away on its own.

stickstones,

Dreamerr

So would you get the 104 if you can get it way cheaper then the 107 or would you stick with the 107 for a bit more?

Dreamerr,

poonman

So would you get the 104 if you can get it way cheaper then the 107 or would you stick with the 107 for a bit more?

I know you just tried a friend's Solo for the first time recently . ( so I read )
Is that the Solo you're thinking of buying ( M104 ) ....hehe
How much cheaper ?
It's already going for $160 , $150 and $ 136 on amazon , brand new .
And I specified to Randy at Puffitup , that I wanted the latest model which was the M107 at the
time . And I got it .

Otherwise , I don't know where you can even get a M104 ? Amazon , Ebay ?
Maybe we'll hear back from Saccs .

poonman,

lillgud

Hi,
I recently bought a Arizer Solo.
I have two problems.

1. The battery indicator always show 7, regardless if the battery is empty or full.

2. I only get 4-5 12 minutes cycle, which seems to little if I compare to other people.

I got it from Easyvape at ebay.

Anyone else have similair problems?

lillgud,

MrNorml

Hi,
I recently bought a Arizer Solo.
I have two problems.

1. The battery indicator always show 7, regardless if the battery is empty or full.

2. I only get 4-5 12 minutes cycle, which seems to little if I compare to other people.

I got it from Easyvape at ebay.

Anyone else have similair problems?
Consider contacting the seller. That (indicator) sounds broke. 4-5 may be a bit light but it could be partly the newness to you and figuring out how it works. Try charging fully, then cycle on high until it won't do anything anymore. That will give an indication of battery life I think. But if the indicator light doesn't go down during that test, or if it never comes back on after discharge, I'd say it is not working properly and should be returned/replaced.
Now, this assumes your reading is off battery indicator, which comes on for a short time after you power it on or shows the charge status when plugged in, and not the temp indicator. If you are looking at the temp indicator, you're running darned hot. Push the down arrow to lower temp. Start at 3-4 and experiment from there. Less hot = less energy = longer battery life.

MrNorml,

Saccs

First let me say THANKS for the info... I really appreciate it!!!

hoptimum I took ur advice and went to my local smoke shop and picked up a small bong... I will order the attachment sometime today!

mvapes I bought it off ebay from a company called "EasyVape" the seller states:

Latest M1X (M108) M107 model. We are authorized dealers.

66131_10151099365357129_340044485_n.jpg

Saccs,

Dreamerr

I know you just tried a friend's Solo for the first time recently . ( so I read )
Is that the Solo you're thinking of buying ( M104 ) ....hehe
How much cheaper ?
It's already going for $160 , $150 and $ 136 on amazon , brand new .
And I specified to Randy at Puffitup , that I wanted the latest model which was the M107 at the
time . And I got it .

Otherwise , I don't know where you can even get a M104 ? Amazon , Ebay ?
Maybe we'll hear back from Saccs .

Thanks, it is a private sale so I wanted to know the difference. I can get either one and from what I am reading you suggest the 107 more. I appreciate your input. The difference in price is not that great if it was I wouldn't even be asking. I wouldn't do ebay or amazon since it voids the warranty.

Dreamerr,
Top Bottom