Arizer Solo

OF

That means their car adapter is just as bad for the battery as the standard power cord...correct?

Yes, it's a 12 Volt, one Amp (max) source as well. Great for charging, but not for 'charge while using'?

Charge while using works OK for things like cell phones that recharge faster than they discharge. Think about it, there's a clue there. Since it takes longer to charge Solo than to discharge it, it's obvious it's not charging at a rate higher than the discharge......the charger alone won't support the load. You have to use the battery capacity. If your car consumes gasoline faster than you replace it as you drive along life's highway you're going to end up sitting at the side of the road eventually?

OF

abby

Okay, I think we're narrowing in on what I'm finding hard to imagine.

I've never seen my herb blackened or charred if its underfilled, regardless of whether the stem is touching the oven. Hence, I'm only imagining it as "conduction+convection=more heat, herb doesn't cool down in the middle of hit and more efficient use of battery."

OF

Hence, I'm only imagining it as "conduction+convection=more heat, herb doesn't cool down in the middle of hit and more efficient use of battery."

But conduction and convection don't really happen together like that I think. The hottest part of the system is the metal cup. Any conected air, heated by that cup, can't be any hotter. Nor can the stem wall or any part of the load. The best it can be is as hot as the cup. 'Real' convection vapes (like say Volcano or T1/Cera) have sources very much hotter (like 1000F hotter......) since that hotter air is what brings the neat necessary to make vapor as it cools to 400F. If it enters at 400F and leaves at 400F it doesn't do any work?

As long as that heat source doesn't collapse in the hit too much (it can drop several hundred degrees easily, you can see the glow dim and change color) it can make as much vapor as you can suck up. If that stored energy (in the mass of the hot part) is big enough 'time constant wise' for the heater control to kick back on you're only limited by the herb load (like a Volcano blowing bags). And such systems 'start and stop on a dime' once the load is warmed up. Very fast response.

Conduction is more about time. And having a fresh stem can mask it to make it even more fun. But, as the load progresses, pausing between hits 'for it to recover' gives a bigger hit? That is the 'heat soak' of conduction as it recharges what was used making vapor for the last hit. Again, convection doesn't do this since the heat energy is constantly on tap.

Efficient power use should be looked at as a system I think. You draw power to make vapor. We need a kWh per gram of THC evaporated rating? More power needed, the less efficient?

So, at a system level, two useful keys are good insulation to lower heat lost to the outside world and not heating any more air than you absolutely have to to make vapor since that too is a straight out power loss (and ironically rougher on the user?). There's a whole class of fairly similar conduction vapes like Air/Solo, the FMs, Pinnacle, my new Linx Gaia and so on. Cylindrical loads about 3/8 in diameter and half an inch tall. All have 'fair to good' insulation and when sipped get about 4 or 5 loads per charged 18650.

Cera will get less than half that performance. T1, with worse insulation (more loss) gets maybe half of that? A second load on a fresh battery is not guaranteed.

In the end vapor is vapor. Cooked is cooked. But same as cooking technique can change energy used to make a meal, so can vape design. Same basic rules.

Fun stuff, but in the end it's enjoying the process and result. The old journey and destination thing? Results count, theory not so much. It's a personal thing in the end, as most things are.

OF

Vitolo

Vaporist
Any conected air, heated by that cup, can't be any hotter.
But it can be (at least for a moment) the same heat, and that tiny hair of hot air does also go through the herb. I call a fraction of Convection happening although it may not have been the intent or plan.
In the end vapor is vapor
You are indeed a deep thinker.
Your fascination with sincere analysis is what makes you so valuable a contributor as well as entertaining FC Celebrity.

OF

But it can be (at least for a moment) the same heat, and that tiny hair of hot air does also go through the herb. I call a fraction of Convection happening although it may not have been the intent or plan.

You are indeed a deep thinker.
Your fascination with sincere analysis is what makes you so valuable a contributor as well as entertaining FC Celebrity.

Sorry, can't buy it. The numbers just don't support Solo using convection to move significant heat into the load. We're into what's sometimes called 'heat capacity' or 'specific heat'. How much heat (energy) does it take to raise the temperature of something one degree. If it's one gram of water, at just below room temperature (that matters) it takes one calorie to raise (or lower) it one degree C (or K as 'those guys' are fond of using). If it's a pound of water, one degree F, we have a BTU (British Thermal Unit) like your home heater is rated in. Not to be confused with the ton rating on Air Conditioners which is melting (or freezing) one ton of ice in 24 hours......isn't that about as British as can be? I love it. Like the Horsepower being created by Watt to describe the energy his steam engine could deliver, the average horse he reckoned being able to do 550 foot pounds of work per second. That is raise 550 pounds one foot (against gravity) or one pound 550 feet, or 110 pounds five feet and so on. When mechanical refrigeration became possible, the idea was to link their useful cooling output to a ton of ice collected off the local lake in winter and stored for summer. No wonder the Brits drink warm beer, too much trouble to saw and store slabs of ice to chill your brew six months later. Mind you that's a short ton, the common 2000 pound one, not the long ton........or tonne as our friends who drive on the other side of the road might say......or rather write.

At least that's what I recall from all them years ago. I don't think they changed those rules, but you never know these days. Once water was clean and sex was dirty..........

Anyway, it takes a lot of degrees of temperature difference to supply enough heat (in calories, BTJs, Joules or whatever, not degrees) since air itself is so light and 'easy to heat'. A whole lung full of air is so light in mass (weight) that it doesn't carry enough energy with a few degrees to do useful work. Remember, the load is basically at 400F as well if we're making vapor, there's very few degrees 'delta' to work with.

There's also radiation going on, but it too is trivial. A bit like pushing your car down a level street with a flat tire and counting on a light wind to help........

I'm not sure about that thinker part, it's entirely possible you have me confused with two other guys. Thanks for the kind words at any rate. As far as that well known part, Dillinger and old Joe S were also widely recognized in their time, makes me glad I'm not using my real name.

Regards to all.

OF

abby

I understood nothing that you said in the first paragraph of your post, and I'm kinda sorta familiar with what specific heat capacity is. I can't see why specific heat capacity would be relevant. Who's specific heat capacity are you talking about? The herb's? The glass's? The oven? What does specific heat capacity have to do with "pure convection" vs "hybrid conduction+convection"?

abby,
Reactions: OF

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I don't want to speak for @OF but he is referring to how the cannabis is vaporized inside the owner's Solo or the Solo's oven. Is it conduction or convection heating? I'm not touching that one. There has been a lot of discussion in this thread regarding that particular topic, if you want to do a search.

@OF has a lot of experience regarding the Solo and the science behind the operation.

OF

Who's specific heat capacity are you talking about? The herb's? The glass's? The oven? What does specific heat capacity have to do with "pure convection" vs "hybrid conduction+convection"?

Sorry for not being clear enough, it's the air? Moderately heated air (small temperature change) just doesn't carry much heat (calories). Consider you can wave your hand through the 1300F flame of a torch lighter, the much hotter air simply doesn't have enough energy to burn you. The relatively few hot molecules of gas are up against a lot of mass in your hand.

Anyway, it takes a lot of degrees of temperature difference to supply enough heat (in calories, BTJs, Joules or whatever, not degrees) since air itself is so light and 'easy to heat'. A whole lung full of air is so light in mass (weight) that it doesn't carry enough energy with a few degrees to do useful work. Remember, the load is basically at 400F as well if we're making vapor, there's very few degrees 'delta' to work with.

FWIW I still feel there is not a situation of "hybrid conduction+convection" happening to any useful degree here. My understanding of Thermodynamics says the heat moves in our vapes (and their loads) usually by conduction, sometimes by convection instead, or in at least one case by radiation for m a practical POV.. But conduction and convection happen in ranges that don't overlap in terms of temperatures of the source. and target. Convection and radiation are only practical when there's a big difference in temperature, conduction only when there is basically none as we have with Solo.

Not that it matters much in the end as long as we make good vapor somehow? Perhaps there's a desire to believe one's vape is convection because Folks think convection is superior? You get to believe what you want of course, but that's what I believe and why?

Regards to all,

OF

DreamHaze

Psychonaughty
Maybe i'm just high... but i could've sworn i charged my solo til 7, had one sesh with it and then it went to zero battery

Maybe it's time to get a new battery?

or maybe im just high lmfao

DreamHaze,

VapeHeadz

How long have you had and how much use has it had? Mine went for quite a few years getting used everyday before it was noticeably not holding charge and dropping quickly.

VapeHeadz,
Reactions: jpdnkstr

OF

Maybe i'm just high... but i could've sworn i charged my solo til 7, had one sesh with it and then it went to zero battery

Maybe it's time to get a new battery?

or maybe im just high lmfao

How is your stash doing? Missing a gram or two as well? That can happen you know.......

But batteries don't die that way. Capacity degrades over time. It doesn't go from 7 or 8 sessions to just one without a LONG time doing 6, 5, 4 and so on sessions per charge. Or it can flat out die outright of course.

Being high might make making useful observations questionable, something is amiss there I think.

Maybe the local ghosts appreciate your fine taste in vapes. From what I'm told they're not really big on recharging (often killing batteries in finest drama queen fashion on TV). Personally I never loan my car to them, you know it's going to come back with the tank empty.

OF

DreamHaze

Psychonaughty
Yeah, i was just really high hahahaha
Blue cheese, mixed with Mr. Nice, mixed with platinum GSC... my goodness, that's a gnarly combo

Well now i'm, counting how many full sessions i can get on 5-7 heat settings on a full battery
i swear when i first had the solo i could pull out 2 or 3 more sessions than i do now

Shall report the findings

Buzzbomb Almighty

It's nice to switch things around occasionally. For the past few days instead of the standard D020 I've been using the 9" model with 14mm gong and adaptor. It may not seem like a big change but smaller bowl, bigger chamber makes a different dimension in a session.

OF

Battery life depends a LOT on variables like temperature setting, how well cured the load is, how much you hit it, to some extent the strain and a bunch of other factors that make any hard numbers impossible. If you want to try for an objective test, I suggest 'back to back, empty oven, cover open, step 7' sessions since that's fairly repeatable. Experimental data you can't reproduce on demand isn't data. It's happenstance.

I (and a lot of others) run step 4 typically, use well cured herb, and 'sip' at a moderate rate. I've long suggested 'a session per LED' is a good benchmark under those conditions. If I run 3 sessions from say 5 on the battery meter, I expect to start the next at 2. It's worth noting that the top level (7) actually is twice as big as the other steps (it's .2 Volts per cell, the others are .1) so results there vary.

So that's my estimate. "A session per LED at step 4". I've made it many times and don't recall anyone seriously disagreeing?

BTW, the onset of battery failing is usually very gradual. It degrades very slowly over time. You don't wake up one day to find it has half the capacity it did last week.

OF

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
A lot depends on how hot and how long you work a session. Lately I heat to 7 and take a hit. Next hit at 6, then 5, then 4, then 4 and then 4 again. From one charge I get a little more than 6 sessions of the above. I rarely ever get to the point where the Solo turns itself off so I'm not just staring into space before remembering to take the next hit. I also don't allow for much of a heat soak.

My Solo is a bit more than 2 years old and once the battery is at 1 I recharge and let it charge till it turns itself off. Probably charge it like that 1.5 times a week since I got it.

I still get 2.5 to 3 sessions at battery level 7 after fully charging like that and then the drop off is way more rapid as @OF mentioned.

DreamHaze

Psychonaughty
When i say one session i mean one full 12 minute cycle til the auto shut off kicks in
I do about 8 to ten minutes of level 5 and jump up to 7 by the last few minutes
Using the solo like so usually gives me about 5 sessions
It feels as if i used to be able to pull 2 or 3 more sessions out of a full charged battery during the first few months, and it seems to me that that battery is gradually degrading.

I know there's batteries out there that claim to charge faster and offer more battery life. thinking of getting one to replace this current battery for the new year
Can anyone point me to a good source for such?

DreamHaze,
Reactions: Maine420

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

2 Travel Caps
Our Price: $3.99
Icon_FreeShipping_Small.gif

Icon_FreeShipping_Small.gif

Arizer Solo Replacement Battery
Our Price: $45.99
These are thorough @PuffItUp .

There's a video of how to do it out there. It looks pretty simple. It looks like PIU is sold out. Ask Randy when they will be restocked. Check with @PlanetVape and see if they still have a supply. Those travel caps up above are awesome.

Last edited:

OF

I was looking on ebay and found this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arizer-Solo...944478?hash=item33976eab1e:g:1iAAAOSw1ZBUuEUq
Are these safe?

Also, does anyone know where to get a good portable power box for the solo?

Probably safe, but probably not reliable. We've discussed this a lot, such 'home made' pack are a trap, IMO, guys get sucked in with big capacity numbers and cheap price. Don't you think if they were superior to what Arizer uses Arizer would change to them? Me too.

You mean a scheme like this:
0uXrGDG.jpg

Here's a discussion of it.
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/arizer-solo.3833/page-1515#post-1016431

Here's another discussion, with a peek inside:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/arizer-solo.3833/page-1478#post-967241

FWIW, this is my home made one from years ago (I made it for MFLB originally) with the Solo 'go bag':
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/arizer-solo.3833/page-1478#post-967142

OF

FerreiraF

Good morning, I'm very new on the vaping world as I quite smoking cigarettes and joints for 3 weeks now.
Recently I bought this vaporizer as my first one and I'm very satisfied for the first weed experiences, in flavor and effect.
I was searching for the questiong I have in here but it is big topic and I hope it won't be to bad to ask couple questions from a noob, if you think is wrong, I'll continue to read all the topic till I find lol

1) temperatures:
I found a list of temperatures os different models but just for the models between M101 and M106
I don't know wich model is mine, the only thing similar I found is in the base of it: M11E8B11285
Can someone help me finding the temperatures for the different levels?
(I've been vaping weed between level 3 and 6)

2) yesterday i tried camomile flower but didn't see any vapor coming out of my mouth, besides it i liked the feeling of muscular relaxation.
Noticed when I bought the vaporizer that in the shop there were several "herbs of the gods" made to vape.
With this device is possible to vape this different herbs? Or just with bigger ones?

Thank you in advance,
Filipe

FerreiraF,
Top Bottom