Arizer Solo

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Wow, never heard of CelluCotton, thanks.

How safe is it to inhale?
Not as safe as the mountain air ;) But...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayon

Rayon is a manufactured regenerated cellulose fiber. It is made from purified cellulose, primarily from wood pulp, which is chemically converted into a soluble compound. It is then dissolved and forced through a spinneret to produce filaments which are chemically solidified, resulting in synthetic fibers of nearly pure cellulose.

To put it in perspective, the wikipedia article for cotton says that the fibers of it are nearly pure cellulose. As long as no combustion occurs I think they're both fine. Like @Pipes mentioned it's been popular as a wicking material for ejuice for electronic cigarettes due to being extremely cheap ($20 gets you a few lifetimes' supply), being more resistant to dry hits (allowing more juice to vaporize from the wicks before the coils start combusting the wicks), and lacks the "cotton taste" from fresh wicks.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Tried the, place stem in weed container and inhale to fill bowl, technique. Didn't think it would work very well but I couldn't have been more wrong. Not only did it fill perfectly and establish an efficient packed air-flow but it also didn't spill anything when I took it out of the weed container and popped it in the Solo. The stickiness of the weed results in a great packing and keeps it from spilling.

I don't remember who mentioned the technique....probably OF...but whoever it was....GREAT TIP AND THANKS! This site is like a good Christmas gift...it's the gift that just keeps on giving :nod:

OF

I don't remember who mentioned the technique....probably OF...but whoever it was....GREAT TIP AND THANKS! This site is like a good Christmas gift...it's the gift that just keeps on giving :nod:

Finally, I'm innocent! That was part of the Solo lore when I joined the party (thanks again Dreamer, wherever you may be.....). Like so many other such things, folks are very open with their ideas and opinions and are willing to try suggestions. The good suggestions keep getting repeated in a pretty natural way.

The driving force is, as you point out, those very folks giving out that help. And that includes a LOT of members, some posting a lot, others 'only' a single (but useful) post. We're blessed in that fashion I think, it creates a fertile place like this for an outstanding product like Solo to 'catch seed and grow'.

A Christmas gift of sorts for sure, but in no way confined to December. A treat by any measure I know.

Thanks.

OF

Ifeejulah Vapor

My friends Solo came that he ordered immediatly after a few draws of mine. Came 129$ shipped from minniieme on ebay. Only took 3 days from order to arrival.

We are really diggin the low temps like 2 and 3 on the solo...still get clouds for a long time and the vapor is delicious and light

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
My friends Solo came that he ordered immediatly after a few draws of mine. Came 129$ shipped from minniieme on ebay. Only took 3 days from order to arrival.

We are really diggin the low temps like 2 and 3 on the solo...still get clouds for a long time and the vapor is delicious and light
The Solo is getting cheaper and cheaper. I hope your friend can use the warranty if something happens? The Solo is sturdy and well made but you never now when the unexpected happens.

Yes the Solo is a gift to yourself that keeps giving. Not only do you have a cream of the crop vaporizer but also you're saving money on meds as well. You and your friend can afford some top shelf.

Enjoy and keep on vaping.

Rapspalooza

@Ed's TnT wooden stems may be your solution .
Also , when you can , try swapping stems over soft surfaces .
ie ; your lap , over a pillow , carpet , couch , towel ...

I prefer the loose stems for easy exchange of loads , especially
for long sessions . Keep in mind , if it's tight to insert , it may
be tight to pull out , causing minor spillage .

For me , it's a little adaptation to enjoying a fantastic vape .
I hope you will find the perfect fix for your situation .

*Update*
I ended up buying the shorty straight stem from PV when I saw the thin O ring is in stock again.

Now the lid can be closed fully and the stem is completely secure :D Didn't notice any increased draw resistance with the PVHES or stock stem so I'm one happy camper :D

Uzer

Maybe email resolution during the holidays is backed up. Can you call them? I've seen this company and their products mentioned several times and don't recollect any bad reviews. I was getting ready to make the same purchase for myself but I'm holding off to see how your issue works out.

I finally heard back from PV today via email. They offered a replacement if I sent it back to them or a gift certificate. I accepted the gift. I should be getting my order from DHgate any day. Don't want to have to take all the time to mail it back to them, especially since it's an international thing. I'd say I'm satisfied with their customer service even with the delay.

Last edited:

His_Highness

I finally heard back from PV today via email. They offered a replacement if I sent it back to them or a gift certificate. I accepted the gift. I'd say I'm satisfied with their customer service even with the delay.
Thanks for the update. Glad it worked out. Now I can order one for myself without worrying about the service.

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
If anyone has draw resistance issues, I highly suggest a JoDa GonG.

How does his GonG's help? Is it because he uses no glass screen, so it's like a PVHES Turbo?

I've been using a nano GonG, which should be quite similar to JoDa's piece, just not as pretty, heh.

I recently broke the glass screen out of my Stock Bent solo stem and now use a EQ elbow screen (sorry, I love them). Now I prefer the bent stem over my staight PVHES.

Also, anybody run there Solo w/o there metal cap? Does it serve a purpose besides protection?

J_ackson

It's always sunny in Colorado
That should work for an old model, but it won't work on a new one. The new version does not run (true) PA, instead it 'charges while heating'.

Save your money.

OF

Maybe it is because I am not 100% there right now but I do not get what you mean, the Power Adapter does not work with new model so it is useless?!... So basically you can only charge the Solo but a PA is useless and not going to work with any model purchased this year?

Also, from customer support:
Plug in the Solo and charge up completely. Do not use it while its charging. Charge while vaping is not available on the new units as it was a manufacturing oversight and it was not meant to be there.

OF

Maybe it is because I am not 100% there right now but I do not get what you mean, the Power Adapter does not work with new model so it is useless?!... So basically you can only charge the Solo but a PA is useless and not going to work with any model purchased this year?

Also, from customer support:

Yes, that's what I'm saying, or was trying to say. The old models recognized 6.9 to 9.0 Volts and shifted modes (starts automatically for instance) and would not charge but would heat (off the PA). If you plug such a unit into 12 Volts while it's running on batteries, it stops heating and starts charging. New models also charge but continue heating.

Do I understand you correctly, Arizer's CS told you "Plug in the Solo and charge up completely. Do not use it while its charging. Charge while vaping is not available on the new units as it was a manufacturing oversight and it was not meant to be there."?

If so, that's very strange indeed. It's a widely heralded feature of the new type, IMO widely promoted? It's a mistake? I tend to agree with that idea as I've thought from the start it might encourage dangerous (in terms of battery lifespan) battery management routines (like leaving it 'always charging and ready to go'). And it's clearly a promoted feature on Air, a quite similar product otherwise......

Seems a little strange to claim it's not available with so many using it as a feature???

Do you have any additional information on this advice? How did you come by it? Has anyone else got such response?

TIA

OF

His_Highness

Do I understand you correctly, Arizer's CS told you "Plug in the Solo and charge up completely. Do not use it while its charging. Charge while vaping is not available on the new units as it was a manufacturing oversight and it was not meant to be there."?

If so, that's very strange indeed. It's a widely heralded feature of the new type, IMO widely promoted? It's a mistake? I tend to agree with that idea as I've thought from the start it might encourage dangerous (in terms of battery lifespan) battery management routines (like leaving it 'always charging and ready to go'). And it's clearly a promoted feature on Air, a quite similar product otherwise......

Seems a little strange to claim it's not available with so many using it as a feature???

Do you have any additional information on this advice? How did you come by it? Has anyone else got such response?

OF
I talked my brother into a Solo when the $135 deal from PIU came out. He got it last week and immediately called me because the instructions said 'Unit CANNOT be used when plugged into charger'. He remembered I had said that being able to use it when plugged in was a huge plus. I told him to try the link he ordered from and sure enough it still said 'This is the new version of the Solo that can be charged while in use'. I just checked again and it still says this.

So my brother called PIU to complain and they asked him to read off his serial number and told him he had the new unit but the instructions were old..... but if he had any issues with the charge and battery they would replace it immediately. I haven't asked him to try to use it when on the charger yet.

fubar

Ancient and opiniated inhaler
So basically you can only charge the Solo but a PA is useless and not going to work with any model purchased this year?

I just ran some experiments. For the record:
With a 4 week old Massdrop Solo, plugging in a PA will start it charging just like it would if you plug in the regular stock PS. If I set the temperature it will start heating, and the green charging light STOPS flashing.
I wouldn't describe that as useless. With the standard charger, that same Solo will start charging (green light flashing), but will go into a very merry christmas (simultaneous green/red) flashing heat/charge light show mode if I set the temp.

With my older Solos, plugging in the PA puts them directly into that desktop vape mode without any charging (green light flashing) stage. Your Arizer CS quote about oversight seems to confirm what OF and others have been saying about the possibly complex and potentially deleterious effects on the battery of simultaneous charge/draw.
YMMV.

OF

He got it last week and immediately called me because the instructions said 'Unit CANNOT be used when plugged into charger'. He remembered I had said that being able to use it when plugged in was a huge plus. I told him to try the link he ordered from and sure enough it still said 'This is the new version of the Solo that can be charged while in use'. I just checked again and it still says this.

So my brother called PIU to complain and they asked him to read off his serial number and told him he had the new unit but the instructions were old..... but if he had any issues with the charge and battery they would replace it immediately.

OK, thanks, we know the instructions were out of date. But Arizer CS didn't say "Plug in the Solo and charge up completely. Do not use it while its charging. Charge while vaping is not available on the new units as it was a manufacturing oversight and it was not meant to be there."

Thanks.

I just ran some experiments. For the record:
With a 4 week old Massdrop Solo, plugging in a PA will start it charging just like it would if you plug in the regular stock PS. If I set the temperature it will start heating, and the green charging light STOPS flashing.

Unfortunately, my new version is out on loan so I can't confirm this (nor can I be sure of what Massdrop sells) but the PA should not be able to run the new version as in the past, nor should it be able to charge the battery I'd think as the voltage is too low. Can anyone with a unit and a DMM confirm that a PA is able to charge (and at what voltage)?

TIA

OF

CarolKing

I have the old PA plugged into my newer version Solo and it's charging the green light is blinking. Also it heats up the Solo. It doesn't charge while it's in use (heating).

At one point the green light wouldn't light up and charge after I unplugged the PA and I plugged it back in. I had the Solo turned off and wanted it to charge again. The green light is blinking again, so I assume it's charging. I have 5 lights lit up on the Solo so it's almost charged up from a previous charge from the normal charging plug (stock PA for newer version).

The Solo acts confused at times and hesitates when it's plugged into the old PA. I hope this makes sense. Only you can figure this stuff out and word it the right way. @OF.

Last edited:

poonman

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/arizer-solo.3833/page-1059#post-592866

Here was my test results using a PA on a Fully Charged new Solo

I used it for a full hour straight on level 7 with the PA . 5 sessions
It didn't tripped the charge sensor , not once .
By that , I mean the green flashing light didn't come on .

I'd unplugged it , let it cool a few minutes .
Then plugged it in to the regular charger .
It was charging , it was still on 7 , but needed topping up
for about 20 minutes .

I thought it was strange that it didn't kick into charging mode
while using the PA . It definitely lost some battery power .
But then , the other Chap @Pipes , said it may take about 6
sessions to trip the sensor ... more testing

Last edited by a moderator:

ctxgooner

gooner
I have a new solo.......about a month old and bought from piu......m1f1......i can plug in my solo......the green light blinks.......i turn the heat to level 5.....the green light goes off for a second and then both the green light and red light blink as it heats up......

@OF
I dont have a way to test the voltage.....

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I have a new solo.......about a month old and bought from piu......m1f1......i can plug in my solo......the green light blinks.......i turn the heat to level 5.....the green light goes off for a second and then both the green light and red light blink as it heats up......

@OF
I dont have a way to test the voltage.....
Only have the older Solo but,
This is what I'd expect as normal. (If that's the question?)
Charge mode - green blinking (Solo needs charging)
Turn on heater - Red and green blinking (heating and charging)

If the Solo was fully charged, you would likely get red blinking only.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I have the old PA plugged into my newer version Solo and it's charging the green light is blinking. Also it heats up the Solo. It doesn't charge while it's in use (heating).

At one point the green light wouldn't light up and charge after I unplugged the PA and I plugged it back in. I had the Solo turned off and wanted it to charge again. The green light is blinking again, so I assume it's charging. I have 5 lights lit up on the Solo so it's almost charged up from a previous charge from the normal charging plug (stock PA for newer version).

The Solo acts confused at times and hesitates when it's plugged into the old PA. I hope this makes sense. Only you can figure this stuff out and word it the right way. @OF.
Need @OF to confirm his finding as I believe he did some experiments along these lines.

Arizer doesn't say what to expect feeding the new Solo's with the old Solo's PA voltage. (8-9 volts) Seems some like @poonman have it working in a good way. "True" PA when battery is full and still works as charger when battery needs it. "True" being the big difference.
Can't remember if this is something that we can count on as gospel as don't think it was confirmed by any numbers. But would definitely be a plus in my books....;)

CarolKing

The Old PA is charging green on my newer model Solo. I left it on the charge a while and it went up a light so now it's charged to level 6 from 5. So it's definetly charging. I used the Solo so it's back down to 5 now.

I don't know why @poonman's didn't? I would like others to chime in if they own a newer 2014 Solo and have the older PA that used to allows us to use the older Solo plugged in. We couldn't charge our older model with it, we could just use it plugged in that way.

A better pic where you can see it charging.

Last edited:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I believe @poonman was indicating how many sessions he can get on the old PA and a fully charged Solo before it goes to charge mode.
Memory a little foggy but think he got around 6 sessions using the old PA before his Solo dropped to that point. His also charges after that point.
Please correct me if I'm wrong there.

Top Bottom