Arizer Solo

SlapStarInc

Hey everyone. New to this forum, I need to thank everyone for their help here. This forum is a wealth of knowledge, ideas and ingenuity. I want to throw my two cents in on the Arizer Solo. If you are on the fence, buy one. They are excellent. Not the most camouflage solution, but gets the job done quickly and efficiently. With a quick google search i was able to find a store selling them for a little over 130$, plus 12$ to extend the warranty to 3 years instead of 2. When returning a defective unit, I find it easier to deal with the stores than the vendor as well, because they respond faster. 12$ for a little piece of mind? Worth it.

On to the issue i recently had with the unit. During use, I smelled a nasty smell coming from the chamber. The unit was burning the flower to a crisp! I quickly turned the unit off and waited a few minutes. When I turned it back on, the 7 led lit up by itself, then the battery indication. When I tried to heat the unit on any setting, the unit would turn itself off and flash the idle led at a fast pace.

After trying a bunch of tips all over the internet, (resetting, unplugging battery, etc) I figured the unit was done for. I requested an RMA for the unit, and even purchased a new one as I didn't want to wait the 2+ weeks for a return. (I luvz it)

During cleaning of the unit with alcohol & soap, I decided to try to see if the chamber was getting any heat before it kicked itself off. A tiny bit of water made sizzling sounds in the chamber, so I knew that the unit was at least TRYING to work. After cleaning more thoroughly, I shook the unit hard upside down, and tapped the bottom of the unit. When I did this, I noticed the leds fluctuating wildly while trying to heat, and again I smelled a burnt smell. I realized there must be some product stuck in the chamber of the unit. So I began blowing into the holes on the bottom of the unit really hard and did the same thing with the top of the unit. After a little bit of fuss, the unit's idle led stopped flashing at me after turning it off, and on the next start the unit was functioning normal again.

The unit just started working again today, so I will repost if this was a fluke and I experience the issue again, but I believe some tiny product got into the 4 little holes in the chamber and was interfering with the heating element. Originally I was convinced this was a temp gauge error or circuit board issue, but I don't believe that to be the case anymore.

Now I have a question for anyone who can answer. Can you send the unit in for defect to Arizer if the bottom plastic cover is chipping at the screws? It seems to be a common problem, and can eventually become an issue. One of my screw holes in the plastic chipped the entire outer ring off. If all 4 do that, my unit won't be held together too well.

Sorry if any of this info has already been posted. I truly have read through a lot of posts, but 1048 pages is a lot to take on.

MinnBobber

As an engineer I will take that as a compliment. I also grow my own using seeds from Sensi.

But you are right that it is strange that not a single vape comes from NL. We have a couple of good technical universities and enough stoners that you would have thought someone would have made an effort to create a vape but it does sound like a lot of work to me to get it right (as Arizer have done).
Having said that vaping is not very big in NL (yet). Maybe I should start an import business!

I always knew at some point the Canadians would make some significant contribution to the world (only joking, I love Canadians).

NL vapes--I understand that Azarius in Amsterdam has a wide selection of vapes and demo units where
customers can try out their favorite herb. None are made/ designed in NL though.
I'm coming to AMS May 12-19.
Any suggestions on best coffeeshops for top quality buds? I prefer sativas or sativa dom hybrids.
Do you ever attend Amsteam Coffeeshop Directory's "talk and toke" get togethers?

MinnBobber,
Reactions: CarolKing

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
As an engineer I will take that as a compliment. I also grow my own using seeds from Sensi.

But you are right that it is strange that not a single vape comes from NL. We have a couple of good technical universities and enough stoners that you would have thought someone would have made an effort to create a vape but it does sound like a lot of work to me to get it right (as Arizer have done).
Having said that vaping is not very big in NL (yet). Maybe I should start an import business!

I always knew at some point the Canadians would make some significant contribution to the world (only joking, I love Canadians).
I spent some time in your country in the early 90's.
Very nice!
I was in Europe from Day 1 of 91 until end of 94 living in FRANCE and traveling through Europe.
When I saw people mixing Tobacco with Cannabis Flower I was puzzled?
When I lived in HAWAII late 70's we would harvest colas and trash the rest of the plant. To see people economize cannabis has always been odd to me.
It grows like a weed? The SOLO economizes a lot so you would think the Dutch would embrace it?
It's health benefits are a plus!
I love smoking a joint the best.
However I can't anymore. (COUGH)
I use the SOLO the most because it's so easy to use and the flavor is more bearable! The other vaporizers (portable taste bad to me) it might not matter to some?

Too many years of fine wine and excellent food!

Cannabis is the "HOLY GRAIL"!

Last edited:

DrRishi

Azarius are pretty good, that's where I purchased the Solo.

I got so fed up with the changing quality of bud that I started growing it myself.
A lot of the real quality bud is grown in small quantities but this means there is little consistency one week it's excellent then the next its crap. Avoid the Bulldog, you could try the "Tweede kamer".
I grow mainly Indica dom strains. Currently smoking Shiva Skunk from Sensi.

Never heard of the talk and toke get togethers. It's all become a bit of a pain since you can't "smoke" in publically accessible spaces anymore.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
My new model Solo is acting up. It takes a charge, but when I try to use it without being plugged in, it turns off. It shows all the lights all lit up, but when I set the temp. The whole thing turns off. I tried the soft reset, but it didn't work. I just emailed PIU. I bought this Solo around 2 months ago.

I have the older model Solo too, it's still working like a charm and no chipped bottom either. My newer model is chipping where the screws are at the bottom, it makes the edges sharp.

Sure glad I bought at Puffitup.

Edit: Got a response within a half hour of contacting PIU via email. Randy thought it sounded like battery problems. He sent me an RMA with printed label so I don't have to pay shipping. The Solo is packed up and ready for travel. Excellent service from PIU. Time to go to the Post Office.

Last edited:

GroenJoe

Just recieved 2 new solos frm planetvape. There were no chips his time, and also the #M1A1.... Isnt that the older model without the charging while using function? Did they send me older solo's?

GroenJoe,
Reactions: ataxian

hd_rider

As a precaution, you might back out the four mount screws on the bottom and then tighten them back up until they are just snug.

I've been reading a lot lately about the plastic base breaking / cracking around these screws, but I haven't read if that is being attributed to the use of O-rings or if the screws are just too tight.

OF

Just recieved 2 new solos frm planetvape. There were no chips his time, and also the #M1A1.... Isnt that the older model without the charging while using function? Did they send me older solo's?
I don't know, did you test it?
Exactly. Mine is m1A4 charge and heat.

Serial (cereal) is for eating, solo is for vaporizing, and trix are for cartoon bunnies.
@ataxian said
Doesn't anybody use the SOLO to VAPORIZE?

You can't vaporize serial numbers

This is just the bad idea that won't go away, isn't it? The maker of the vape has told us the numbers don't indicate model versions and dozens of guys have posted their personal experience that proves the point and yet the lie lives on. It's, I think, a combination of guys who don't bother to read the history (I get it it's much easier to 'just ask on the web'.......) and some who cling to 'the numbers must mean something' in much the same manner as they like to think they're not being lied to again by their government?

The Q man, once again, has it down. Try the unit in question, that's the only way to know for sure (although any 'new', or replacement, unit you buy today is almost certainly the new style.......anyone report any different????).

IMO if the new style is a good or bad thing remains to be seen. It's very hard to get a clear picture of things through the filter of this forum, but I think a case can be made for an increased number of problems (of several sorts) from the latest units? There's new owners, unrealistic expectations and so on involved of course, but I'm not sure that part has changed as much?

I'm with Ataxian, you buy the thing for the vapor that comes out the top, not the numbers written on the bottom. If it works to your satisfaction: great, enjoy it! If not, take advantage of the excellent support from our sponsors to get it right......or wish you'd bought it through PIU, PV or the usual suspects rather than saving a few bucks on some more sketchy scheme. Here, I think, is an excellent chance to support the sponsors who've supported us. Given the hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars of bud you hope to run through the Solo, saving $20 and taking such a risk seems a bit questionable to me.

As a precaution, you might back out the four mount screws on the bottom and then tighten them back up until they are just snug.

I've been reading a lot lately about the plastic base breaking / cracking around these screws, but I haven't read if that is being attributed to the use of O-rings or if the screws are just too tight.

I'm not sure I agree with this. First off there have been a lot of reports of tabs breaking on guys cranking down on the cap with too much (thickness wise) a ring under it. Lots of such reports. Guys have also broken tabs by disassembly for other reasons (I've done this a couple of times in my travels), no rings in sight. I know, for instance, tightening up on the screw when the tab isn't already firmly down is asking for trouble......I've asked for it and got it that way. Likewise one tab tighter than the rest concentrates the load there I think.

My advice is to leave the screw alone unless you have a reason to mess with them (like you need to get inside). Then, when you go to put it back together get the base firmly down before putting all the screws back in to the same torque. Intentionally changing the tension shipped from the factory seems like 'fixing something that's not broken' to me....... I think more troubles happen after than before?

I think if you check back, broken tabs started showing up after guys started opening theirs up and/or putting tight rings in and cranking down on the cover? Nobody reported this problem on the older models?

OF

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I'm with Ataxian, you buy the thing for the vapor that comes out the top, not the numbers written on the bottom. If it works to your satisfaction: great, enjoy it! If not, take advantage of the excellent support from our sponsors to get it right......or wish you'd bought it through PIU, PV or the usual suspects rather than saving a few bucks on some more sketchy scheme. Here, I think, is an excellent chance to support the sponsors who've supported us. Given the hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars of bud you hope to run through the Solo, saving $20 and taking such a risk seems a bit questionable to me.
OF
I use the SOLO the most.
A vaporizer only heats the material so we can benefit from the medicine produced. I'm sorry I don't get too emotional about this or that new gadget.

As I learn everyday I realize that CANNABIS is the HOLY GRAIL period!

Vaporizer, Glass, Accessories are just stuff!
If you want to worship them go for it!

Serial Numbers?
I have better things to do with my time!

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Im one of the few that hasn't opened my Solo by unscrewing the screws at the bottom. I watched as a crack grew and finally broke off. Then I saw another crack forming and it was ready to break off before I sent the unit back yesterday.

Sent the unit back because it wouldnt work unless it was plugged in, not because of the chipping. I was going to live with the chipping for a while until it was a problem.

I don't like sending a unit back, but with PIU it's not a hassle. Of's right it's not worth saving $20 going with an unknown vendor.

OF

@OF i was also hunting at the numbers dont matter ;)

Did you mean 'hinting that the numbers don't matter'?

If so, I think we agree, FWIW. More or less. They may well matter somewhere, but it's not a reliable way for us to know anything specific about that unit. It may, for instance, help it's owner claim warranty?

And it's providing us lots of fodder for speculation and (IMO baseless) concerns......

And of course I'm glad you're on board with the 'worry about serial numbers is a waste of time', the problem is the ranks of those who are true believers is growing, and some of them know in their heart of hearts they are right and we are not.

I wonder how long it will be this time before we're back on this topic. Another week, maybe 2?

OF

as

Needed to sit down on the sofa have a chilled out vape seasons.
Only got a shity lil stall to sit on in the vape room with the nano.
Solo on 7 Bud toped with kief!
IMG_20140430_191405_zpsexdpaaqi.jpg

Thats me set for the next hour or so
Think this was like kit 5
IMG_20140430_1918212_zpsoej8xaim.jpg

Modnote: edited to remove bad image link.

Last edited by a moderator:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Needed to sit down on the sofa have a chilled out vape seasons.
Only got a shity lil stall to sit on in the vape room with the nano.
Solo on 7 Bud toped with kief!
[/URL][/IMG]

Thats me set for the next hour or so
Think this was like kit 5
IMG_20140430_1918212_zpsoej8xaim.jpg
svPs9Cr.jpg

The SOLO is even good for a DRY session.

poonman

Me too , I'd ordered it Monday night and got it today .
I got the M1A4 batch , it's the new ' use and charge ' version .
I got a Black one to match my Silver M107 .
I'll report back if it can give 2 1/2 hours of portable power
like my old Solo .

Top Bottom