Arizer Solo II

OF

Only thing I think Arizer could have done better is use a USB type charging port instead of the current one, would have made it easier to carry around a cable and charge from my computer then the wall adapter. Not a big deal, they need stuff to put on the Solo 3 lol.

Don't hold your breath. As I said earlier in this thread, charging a 8 Volt pack from a 5 Volt USB jack is not trivial, like it is with Air that only needs 4.

Then there's the power limit on USB jacks, Solo II charges at about 15 Watts. USB ports are good for five typically, half that for laptops. So would take a LONG time to recharge. Like six hours? Unless you have a laptop......in which case you'll need half a day?

Arizer is sure to have considered it........

OF

JCharles

FC 06/06/2017 | ACMPR 26/07/2017
I will say this about battery life too, it depends on the ambient temperature that you are using the device in. Sub-zero temp now where I live and when I vape outside the battery drains hella quick but makes complete sense. Only thing I think Arizer could have done better is use a USB type charging port instead of the current one, would have made it easier to carry around a cable and charge from my computer then the wall adapter. Not a big deal, they need stuff to put on the Solo 3 lol.

I for one am happy we don't have USB charging- it's slower and personally I find it cumbersome.

I tend to buy the optional wall adapter for most of the vapes I use.

@Creeper I've noticed this as well, and actually asked if it was OK for the battery (it is).

I also find the battery indicator woefully incorrect if I'm doing mostly water pipe bowls. It seems to overestimate early on and underestimate towards the last bar of the indicator.

OF

Does anyone experience unevenly cooked matter with the solo 2? What makes contact at the base of the stem turns a dark brown and progressively gets to a lighter shade upwards.

Yep. We all experience it if we push hard enough. It's a conduction vape and you're not giving it enough 'heat soak' to get the entire load working. By pulling lots of cold air into and through the load you rapidly cool off the center and upper parts of the load artificially (locally) so they 'vape slower'.

If you go back and find Brother Sticks posts with thermocouple readings you can see how the temperature of the load near the walls drops a lot when the cold air hits. There's an instrumentation issue with the TC in the load center (the leads sink heat away too fast and cause a 'cold spot' in the load) but the drop in load temperature near the walls (where heat is replaced faster than the leads can wick it away) is a great relative indicator of this effect.

If you sip, giving it time to recover between hits, rather than challenging the 'milkshake draw' with lots of extra air to heat, the load gets uniformly dark.....or at least close enough for a small shop. Big clouds come from slow hits, Solo can only make vapor so fast, all you can do by sucking harder is get more but weaker vapor......and uneven ABV.

Regards to all.

OF

sickmanfraud

With all this talk about batteries, I think it is a good time to recall my mistake with the battery of my Solo OG.

I basically overcharged it to death. After it was full I pulled out the charging cord and re-inserted it a few seconds later. Perhaps more sessions in the beginning, but I killed the battery in a year doing this.

Learn from @OF for free or pay for your education like I did.

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: dynospec

Poostuff

Please delete
Wow the Solo two actually comes in a printed box. Big props Arizer.
I be honest I was never overly impressed with the original but I thought I’d try again & buy the Solo 2.

It’s not the eyesore it used to be & I won’t have to hide it in a draw anymore. It is a lot smaller than the original & smaller than it looks in photos.

The metal base is a great idea & the whole thing feels much more professional than the OG version. It makes the original seem like a prototype that was sold way too long.
It’s a shame the cap hasn’t been updated, I think there are better options & I worry about the little rubber bit bouncing around inside it when it eventually snaps off.

At first I thought the start up process was stupid. It’s not like I’m launching a rocket here but then I realised you can turn it down to 4 seconds which is quite acceptable.

I was surprised by a very stinky rubber smelling burn off. I wasn’t going to do one but the smell was quite noticeable, thankfully it’s gone away now.
The improvements are excellent but performance wise I’ve found it’s pretty much the same as the OG.
I love the fast heat up time & I think the extra battery life in a smaller prettier package makes it a much more attractive option than the OG.

Unfortunately none of my Solo gongs fit & I cracked one trying but that’s my fault because I don’t give up easy.
I like that they’ve included the stem holders like Epic does & including the caps should make travellers happy.

Dunno what the dab stick is for, I might start calling them Oprah dab sticks because these days it doesn’t matter what vape you buy, Everybody gets a dab stick!

I’m glad I bought one, it’s a great little on the couch sipper. I would have liked some more changes but that’s just me & it looks like there’s more to come from Arizer anyway.
I think a lot of buyers will be very happy with the Solo 2.

morninglight

Yep. We all experience it if we push hard enough. It's a conduction vape and you're not giving it enough 'heat soak' to get the entire load working. By pulling lots of cold air into and through the load you rapidly cool off the center and upper parts of the load artificially (locally) so they 'vape slower'.

If you go back and find Brother Sticks posts with thermocouple readings you can see how the temperature of the load near the walls drops a lot when the cold air hits. There's an instrumentation issue with the TC in the load center (the leads sink heat away too fast and cause a 'cold spot' in the load) but the drop in load temperature near the walls (where heat is replaced faster than the leads can wick it away) is a great relative indicator of this effect.

If you sip, giving it time to recover between hits, rather than challenging the 'milkshake draw' with lots of extra air to heat, the load gets uniformly dark.....or at least close enough for a small shop. Big clouds come from slow hits, Solo can only make vapor so fast, all you can do by sucking harder is get more but weaker vapor......and uneven ABV.

Regards to all.

OF

Thank you wise one. Thank you.

Mr.Sifter

I think its great.
You can vape all kind of herbs, the taste is as good as the OG. A feature that did not need improvement.
it feels good and solid in the hand.
Love the glass stem pure flavour draw which is now more open. nice.
huge clouds without the heater needing to reheat.
even and consistent AVB.
quick warmwup.
loooong battery
good for microdosing aswell. (like 0.02g)

you do not need a gong.
the stem fits 14mm female joint.

my clear winner and I could go with this as my only vape.

won the (MY) competition against

- mighty
- solo OG
- grasshopper
- Ti-vapcap

My only only complaint is that it lacks "medical approval".
I would pay 50% more to have it tested and perfected in terms of air path and used materials.

I think I will keep my Solo OG as a trusty backup. Just in case.
The error2 codes you read here and on the web makes me question the reliabiliy.
Sold the migthy and the hopper and the vapcap.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
So glad more folks are buying the upgraded Arizer Solo. It was worth it for me paying a little extra for the new additions to an already great product.

It takes no time at all to heat up (1 min) and the battery is still holding up like new ( 2+ hours) My temps are anywhere from 370 - 390, love setting my heat to exactly where my flowers need it. Good flavor and ease of use makes this unit one of my favorites.

I bought my Solo 2 last June and have been a happy customer. I can’t think of a downside except needing to be more of a medical grade vaporizer. The Air 2 is advertised with a separate air path than the controls maybe Arizer will do that with the Solo 2? Not sure why they haven’t been able to do that? Not really too worried about it. I just get tired of folks that complain about it at lenghth. At least it would shut those folks up.

Last edited:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Does anyone experience unevenly cooked matter with the solo 2? What makes contact at the base of the stem turns a dark brown and progressively gets to a lighter shade upwards.

I've found that the herbs that touch the oven singe, while the rest of the load above that doesn't. Try packing less in your stem. I try to pack it so nothing will touch the oven when it is inserted by leaving a gap at the bottom of the load. When I get this just right I don't have to stir and I get an even roast.

My apologies...my description of the placement of the leads must not have been very good. The outer lead was positioned outside the bowl, between the glass and stainless steel. The other lead was inside the bowl in the herbs. The outer lead read like a traditional conduction reading, dropping during the hit, while the inner lead would increase during the hit and cool between hits. Best I can figure, the incoming air is robbing the system of heat and transferring it to the load during the draw, and then the system recovers between hits. My interpretation could be off, but I haven't come up with a better one yet...

OF

My apologies...my description of the placement of the leads must not have been very good. The outer lead was positioned outside the bowl, between the glass and stainless steel. The other lead was inside the bowl in the herbs. The outer lead read like a traditional conduction reading, dropping during the hit, while the inner lead would increase during the hit and cool between hits. Best I can figure, the incoming air is robbing the system of heat and transferring it to the load during the draw, and then the system recovers between hits. My interpretation could be off, but I haven't come up with a better one yet...

Interesting, but I think not important WRT the fellow with 'uneven ABV'?

It is conduction, and hitting it drops the core temperature making some parts hotter than others.

Placement inside or outside the glass is not critical to the experiment I think. It confirms it's conduction doing the work and looks to support the idea that heat conduction up the leads is significant.

"Heat soaks" are very important I think, the harder you're hitting it the more important they become?

Thank you wise one. Thank you.

You're quite welcome, glad to help when I can. I fear the good herb might be effecting your judgement some with that 'wise one' stuff....... Then again 'if it's good for you, it's good for me'.

OF

Last edited:

dynospec

So I am 6 sessions into this 90% charge averaging 12 minutes a session, 72 min total runtime so far, and the meter is reading at 3/5. So at this point I do believe that it is most likely I was using it alot more than I usually do without realizing. Now that I think about it, I guess I did use quite a bit more herb the last week than I thought.

I am going to continue the test just to see, but my fears of the battery possibly being a lemon are mostly gone now.

This solo 2 is such a great vape, its all Ive used since getting it just under two weeks ago!

OF

So at this point I do believe that it is most likely I was using it alot more than I usually do without realizing. Now that I think about it, I guess I did use quite a bit more herb the last week than I thought.

This solo 2 is such a great vape, its all Ive used since getting it just under two weeks ago!

Not a bit of it. Your attitude is off I think? It should be something like '.....I've been enjoying my new Solo more than I expected....'?

After all it is just what you bought if for, right? To enjoy it so much you lose track of details?

Congrats! Good detective work. Vape on.......

OF

dynospec

Not a bit of it. Your attitude is off I think? It should be something like '.....I've been enjoying my new Solo more than I expected....'?

After all it is just what you bought if for, right? To enjoy it so much you lose track of details?

Congrats! Good detective work. Vape on.......

OF

Haha, too true indeed. I just recently "Fucked Combustion" maybe a little over a month ago now and Im still getting used to the long lasting, crystal clear feeling that vaporizing produces. It seems to happen quite often that I am "losing time" but "finding" peace.

Quite right you are with saying '.....I've been enjoying my new Solo more than I expected....'

Cheers

OF

Haha, too true indeed. I just recently "Fucked Combustion" maybe a little over a month ago now and Im still getting used to the long lasting, crystal clear feeling that vaporizing produces. It seems to happen quite often that I am "losing time" but "finding" peace.

Welcome aboard! You may have come a bit late to the party but you came armed with first rate gear. No accident I'm sure.

Good show 'taking the pledge', you've got past the rough part of getting over combustion, some guys need a day or two, some a week or two. Such 'programed responses' are deep grained for sure. In a way we were all 'Pavlov's dogs' when addicted to the junk from combustion.

So, while you're feeling all good about what you've done, let me point out two HUGE advantages you've not mentioned? First off, 'down the road' a few months when you look back on your herb consumption after some time you'll no doubt find an overall reduction to something like 1/3 or 1/4 of your prior consumption. THC goes a lot further if it's not being wasted as fuel in some ill advised combustion project. Much better to gently coax it out with controlled heat from another source. Even those of us who consumed more hours per week and shifted up to that top shelf where the really lovely bud is still save 'at least half' the money? You can use that money to buy more vapes, or do something nice for the wife (who probably appreciates you don't 'stink of weed' anymore?).

Secondly (or maybe thirdly, if the wife advantage is big enough) you get to live a lot longer to enjoy it all. Smoking anything is not a recipe for long and healthy life.......

Anyway, settle in and enjoy. You're in good company. Just don't let @ataxian near your glass.

Regards to all,

OF

JCharles

FC 06/06/2017 | ACMPR 26/07/2017
@Poostuff If you were trying to use non OEM stems/Gongs they won't usually fit. (I can confirm the PlanetVape ones do not as I broke several.)

There are a few after market stems that do fit but I can't remember which.

I played safe and stick to Arizer stems in my Solo II

Regarding the packaging, they have updated the box and packaging of the Solo I as well (at least compared to my unit - before the oven changes). I ordered one over BFCM for a buddy who's just getting into vapes.

Jun84m

I just wanted anybody who was thinking about purchasing that puff it ups cyber Monday promo code
SOLO2MP was still useable for me when I ordered last week Friday. The shipping was super fast I got it it Monday. The promo was 15% off and came with 6 free mouthpiece!!!

It came with a gong and can’t wait to get a water piece...I may head to the local smoke shop to see what’s available are the ones on dhgate the best or will a cheap 1 from the smoke shop be sufficient?? I am so impatient I’d hate waiting for dh gate to ship

dynospec

@OF Always been my style to show up to the party, just fashionably late (or something like that). Definitely fascinating stuff with regards to the conditioned response to smoking and its byproducts, I had not considered this until discovering this forum and reading through this thread. I wont lie, I was more than a little discouraged initially as the effects I was getting were not as strong as I expected. I knew based on the numbers alone that I should be getting more effect, was beginning to think my tolerance had really just gotten that out of control. I am fairly tolerant, but now that I have reconditioned myself with vapor I am getting results that are closer to what I expected, although I imagine theres more "progress" to be made yet.

Ive always been one to try and get the highest quality bud I can, and boy oh boy does the solo2 ever make a difference with the experience vs combustion. The flavour is so unreal by comparison, I feel like I am finally truly experiencing the strains that I get now. I notice with one of the strains I have right now that I forgot the name of, that when its heating up in my solo2, I get a beautiful relatively strong scent of mangoes likely a very high myrcene content in the bud, but wow it just blows me away. Ive always kinda taken the flavour notes people describe to me with a grain of salt since I never really experienced what I was expecting with combustion, obviously good bud tasted better, but it was nothing like the flavour experience of vaporizing with the solo2.

Admittedly Im still adjusting back to having to acquire bud, I used to grow my own until my world flip flopped and now I dont. Its been hard to accept having to buy it again, stretching the stash out is part of what helped motivate me to make the jump from combustion (which again I was admittedly worried about right when I was transitioning since I felt I wasnt using any less). Its starting to last longer though, and I am sure it will continue that way for a while. The wife aspect is no longer an issue for me, but Im sure my neighbours appreciate it alot!

I did have a lingering curiosity, I used to use 62% Boveda packs in the jar with my flowers, now that I am vaporizing I would be better to not use them anymore and let my material dry out a bit, or is that kinda a personal preference thing? I always store in jars regardless, but I was wondering if I should take the Boveda packs out now?

Cheers

Hopefully this isnt too off topic, thanks for all the help and advice.

OF

Excellent observation. My 'take' is the light stuff (terpenes and other stuff that gives us 'flavor' and aroma) are not only the first to evaporate, but they are also very vulnerable to damage (by heat). Move a single atom and it's something different. And we run our vapes (let alone blazing) at higher temperatures anxious to get to the THC. I think we selectively burn them up in that process?

Yes, my advice is dump the humidity. "Well cured" is the call, even to the point of being 'really dry'? Consider that in a vape there's competition for heat energy. Water boils at very low temperatures, you have to evaporate all of it away (perfectly dry) before you have any hope of getting to the THC. You have to be careful not to lose too much of that lovely taste doing so, of course. Fun (and useful) experiments.......and you get to consume it 'in the name of science'.

Enjoy.

OF

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom