Arizer Solo II

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Gentle Friends,

For those thinking of the stem/bubbler combo from PIU, this one:
http://www.puffitup.com/Arizer-Air-Solo-H2O-Filtration-Stem-p/qtqc.solo-bubb.htm

but haven't yet ordered it ($15) I've got two words for you: Do it!

OF

So does that mean you have it @OF ? If so, I have a few questions for you, if you have the chance. ( or for anyone who already picked it up).
It's a stand-alone bubbler for the Solo or am I misunderstanding? (Needs no adapter)
There is no description, so how long is it (approx)?
It looks really short, how much water actually goes in it, a few drops?

OF

So does that mean you have it @OF ? If so, I have a few questions for you, if you have the chance. ( or for anyone who already picked it up).
It's a stand-alone bubbler for the Solo or am I misunderstanding? (Needs no adapter)
There is no description, so how long is it (approx)?
It looks really short, how much water actually goes in it, a few drops?

Yes, it's a single stem complete with a normal bowl very close in size to the straight stems, 4.5 inches or so long. They fit in 'travel tubes' like the factory stem so I plan to wash it in PBW in one like I do similar stuff.

There's actually a fair bit of water in it, about 3/4 inch deep of which maybe half is 'above the ports'. Pretty effective, really. For those not familiar with this style there are traps built into it top and bottom (you can't just pour the water out). The water is trapped, you can lay it down, turn it over for 'hamster style' use, even carry a loaded stem in shirt pocket without leaks. That how you can load it? Think about it, otherwise you'd be hard pressed the sucker up and get it into Solo and not make a mess?

Here's basically the same thing made for 'oil pens' with an adapter to mate it up with FMs:
QMRwKnY.jpg

If you blow the photo up it should show you how the traps work and perhaps answer other questions? This guy is very similar, only it has the glass plate with four holes to make a Solo bowl. BTW the lip has the six notches like PVHES, not much draw restriction.........

OF

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Enjoying my new little water tool. It's pretty small but works well. My mail came after 6:30 tonight. Of all days - waiting for a new toy. @OF got his first. My temp is at 390 but I could go down a few degrees.
I bought 2 since that weren't very expensive. Well worth the price.
I ordered Tues. and received it today. Great customer service as always at @PuffItUp

Edit
Using some Pink Cookies. It doesn't seem to take away any flavor of the flowers compared to a large water tool.

TrZfRk8.jpg

Last edited:

Pappy

shmaporist
Been dry vaping Solo and Air for a very long time now. All this water tool talk got me thinking about breaking out one of my minis.

CarolKing

If you pick up one of the little water tools, like from above make sure your grind isn't too fine. It's hard to get the little ABV particles when cleaning inside the little bubbler. I ordered some PBW from Amazon. Being small they will need to be cleaned more often. I want an easy clean solution. I have never used PBW but always suggest it to others. Now I get to find out how great it is.

You can get the water out by blowing on one end. I also gave it a few shakes.

BigJr48

If you pick up one of the little water tools, like from above make sure your grind isn't too fine. It's hard to get the little ABV particles when cleaning inside the little bubbler. I ordered some PBW from Amazon. Being small they will need to be cleaned more often. I want an easy clean solution. I have never used PBW but always suggest it to others. Now I get to find out how great it is.

May I ask a noob question :hmm:what's PBW?

JCharles

FC 06/06/2017 | ACMPR 26/07/2017
What is PBW?

My D020 arrived today (Thanks SunshineStore). And thanks to PlanetVape including the Gong I was able to crush a few bowls.

So much fun. I'll try and get a video up of some milk this weekend.

Until then,

ame0ec.jpg

biohacker

What is PBW?

Originally developed for Coors, PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) is used in commercial breweries nationwide to effectively clean equipment in places that can’t be reached with a brush or sponge. Strong enough to remove difficult, caked-on messes, it’s environmentally friendly, biodegradable and won’t harm your septic system. Simply soak equipment overnight in PBW solution; rinse the following morning – no scrubbing required!

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/pbw-the-chemistry-of-clean.7854/

Last edited:

OF

I want an easy clean solution. I have never used PBW but always suggest it to others. Now I get to find out how great it is.

It's actually fairly easy to do. Get a 'travel tube' from PV or Amazon (where they're called 'baby soda bottles' and other things). This is the blank soda bottles are 'blown' from (heated and expanded into a full size mold. Very solid seal on the cap (it has to hold a lot of pressure with hot soda inside) and is thick, very tough, plastic. You could probably 'drive nails all day' with one:
http://www.planetvape.ca/travel-tube.html

Put your stem (works well with other stems that fit as well) in with a pinch of PBW and about 2/3 full of hot water, cap and gently shake. I put it in a glass of hot tap water to keep it warm, shake it a bit every minute or so for five dump and rinse. The 'trick' is to have enough air in there so when you invert liquid is force through the inside.

You cannot 'blow them clear' since the traps retain half and inch or so of water. Instead I stick the MP end under the tap and flush the unit out. A minute of modest rinsing is many dozens of 'changes', it rinses very 'clean'. Remember, this, clean rinse, is a design goal of PBW. Breweries face this exact problem too.

After rinse I invert it and blow in the bowl end, this removes all the water that won't fit in the trap at the top. Perfect fill automatically, no leaks.

Powdered Brewery Wash, something discussed a fair bit around here. You can buy it from Amazon and 'home Brewing Shops':
https://www.amazon.com/PBW-Five-Sta...8866625&sr=8-1&keywords=powdered+brewery+wash

You use it in tiny amounts, a pound should last 'forever'. Unless the wife discovers a teaspoon in the dishwasher will wipe out the 'haze' that builds up over time of course.

Brought to us by our very own @t-dub about five years back. Fifty pages of excellent information on it on this thread:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/pbw-the-chemistry-of-clean.7854/

Try some, you won't be disappointed.

OF

CarolKing

@OF your right I wasn't able to get all the water out of the little bubbler but i got quite a bit out. Flushing it and using the PBW sounds like a good plan to me. Thanks for all the helpful advice and spreading the good word.

I have some little glass stem containers from PlanetVape, a reminder about those handy container is appreciated. I will need to be very careful, these little bubblers are fragile.

Edit
I might want to use that PBW on my glass shower door.

Last edited:

JCharles

FC 06/06/2017 | ACMPR 26/07/2017
I'm a huge fan of the PlanetVape travel tubes. I use them for cleaning, and storage of my stems (They seem smell proof to me, for anyone curious). You can even fit the Arizer Gong's that come with the PV bonus items into a travel tube. Silicon cap on the 14mm, put it in first, then the 18mm slides (frosted or bowl side). Just perfect!

I just emailed PV about any deals for Canada's big 150 tomorrow, and also suggested they include some travel tubes as a bonus item with the next solo deal.

I've been tossing around the idea of a mystic blue for weeks, and I think I may pull the trigger this weekend to complete the pair. Hoping for a BIG special!!

- with the new D020 the battery in my black Solo II is non-stop; so it may be unnecessary.

Todays menu,

Girl Scout Cookies
335f6te.jpg

and OG Haze
2nbc66a.jpg

OF

I have some little glass stem containers from PlanetVape, a reminder about those handy container is appreciated. I will need to be very careful, these little bubblers are fragile.

You're very welcome, of course, glad to help when I can. This forum is a fantastic resource with a atypically small level of BS (compared to lesser forums.....), I'm just passing on the tip from t-dub (a like minded soul with a white hat) in this case.

The 'rinse free' technique is an improvement on your dish or clothes washer, very effective. No need to be all that gentle, really. The idea is to 'slosh' stuff from end to end (we want fluid exchanges, not agitations.

There's another technique that I've been testing on such small bubblers and such (I use several versions) for a while now. I have a small funnel (maybe 3 inches?) and a short piece of tube to fit it. I insert this in one end of the bubbler and put it in the silverware rack in Mister Dishwasher when I run the daily dishes. Seriously. I set it up so it captures some of the spray from the upper spray arm which drains down the tube, through the bubbler, and out the bottom into the pan again. Constant flushing, first with heated very aggressive detergent (more so than PBW I think?) followed by a 20 minute rinse with 'nearly clean' rinse water. Also hot. I then flush it out in the sink for good measure, blow it clear and vape on. Clean as the proverbial whistle.....except the time the tube fell off. As clean inside the bubblers as the dishes, pots and pans and glasses?

Not for everyone, but I'm OK with it and it's easy to clean small WTs in rotation this way.........

OF

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
@Ed's TnT - I tried your solo and air stems on a brand new solo 2 this week while down there. All of them fit, but the airs were just small enough to wiggle. The solo stems were tighter and I was more reluctant to force those in.

Thanks much Sticks, I appreciate the info and been nice seeing the pics, know you enjoyed it. Hope all is well and wish you a great holiday!

CarolKing

My glass Atomic Cool Booster XXL from @Ed's TnT made for the Solo OG fits but it's tight. The Atomic Arizer Flow Booster is tight but it works as well. Both need to be inserted while warm. I will need to be extremely careful. The 3D Flow Booster S - stem fits as tight as the others.

Ed my Blackwood three inch WonG with the turquoise inlay doesn't fit the Solo 2 unforetunatly. I used it all the time with the Solo OG.

Edit
@ataxian you are not alone I just broke a stem. Damn it!!

Last edited:

DocH

Hello Everyone.....

Been reading this thread for a while but 1st time poster. Good information posted here! Have a Solo II for about a month now and like it alot.

I also bought the water bubbler stem from puffitup. In regards to this/some comments made already, ie @CarolKing and @OF on the cleaning aspect of it......it seems clear a little water remains in the stem no matter how hard you shake it or blow air on each end which is a bit disappointing to me. My concern is this water getting funky/stagnant with bacteria and such. Any thoughts on this? Also the cleaning aspect....I like to use 91% ISO. I know another cleaning product was mentioned here but my concern is residue will remain in the bit of water left in the chamber though I suppose after multiple rinses it should be gone completely(?). Sounds like you go through quite a cleaning process @OF.....looking for something a bit simpler though I think....the old KISS method is what I always try to go for.:)

For actual use(haven't used it yet, just got it).....what's the consensus on the vapor quality using this water stem?....is it that much smoother or really the same/close to the same as in using an OEM stem? I'm looking at the reward aspect vs the factory stem in vapor quality/smoothness and if it's worth the extra cleaning effort....the OEM stems are nice and simple to clean....a bit of a soak in 91% ISO and a bit of rinsing, they look brand new.

Thanks to all for any insights here.

DocH.

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
Hello Everyone.....

Been reading this thread for a while but 1st time poster. Good information posted here! Have a Solo II for about a month now and like it alot.

I also bought the water bubbler stem from puffitup. In regards to this/some comments made already, ie @CarolKing and @OF on the cleaning aspect of it......it seems clear a little water remains in the stem no matter how hard you shake it or blow air on each end which is a bit disappointing to me. My concern is this water getting funky/stagnant with bacteria and such. Any thoughts on this? Also the cleaning aspect....I like to use 91% ISO. I know another cleaning product was mentioned here but my concern is residue will remain in the bit of water left in the chamber though I suppose after multiple rinses it should be gone completely(?). Sounds like you go through quite a cleaning process @OF.....looking for something a bit simpler though I think....the old KISS method is what I always try to go for.:)

For actual use(haven't used it yet, just got it).....what's the consensus on the vapor quality using this water stem....is it that much smoother or really the same/close to the same as in using an OEM stem?

Thanks to all for any insights here.

DocH.
I don't use that exact stem, but I use a little mini bubbler stems
that's basically the exact same concept. With enough rinses you should get everything out. Smoothness is great. Still some scratchiness on the upper temp sometimes but the heat is mostly gone. It's a nice enjoyable experience imo. Not the same as a regular bubbler, but not the same as a regular stem either. It's pretty much exactly what you'd guess as an imbetween.

Edit: here's a vid of me trying to get the fattest exhale clouds possible using the mini bubbler stem.

Last edited:

CarolKing

@DocH I haven't cleaned my little bubbler from up above yet. @OF suggested flushing the bubbler with water eventually it will be clear. I was able to get almost all my water out of the bubbler except for a drop. I don't know but I would think that would evaporate @OF would know more or @AJS since I just got mine and dont have as much experience.

OF

With enough rinses you should get everything out.

Exactly so. Just like your dishes in the dishwasher?

Only more so.

It's also very easy to wash them in the travel tube and rinse them in the kitchen sink, easier I think than messing with ISO. Does a better job too. And unlike ISO is not a fire hazard and is OK to put down the drain (which ISO isn't?). Your call, I just suggest considering it.

Remember, ISO is a solvent, PBW a detergent.....a whole different thing. Under usual conditions the detergent will do a better job since the solvent is still very dilute 'paint' that will leave even tiny amounts of the stuff dissolved in it behind? That means you need rinses of pure ISO to match?

Again, for your consideration.

OF

Top Bottom