1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

18650 Battery Safety

Discussion in 'Vapor Related Equipment' started by TheDudeNextDoor, Jun 13, 2015.

1. phattpiggie

phattpiggie Well-Known Member Accessory Maker

2. AJS

AJS Calm Consistency

Hey guys, not sure if this is the place to post this, but I just want some verification that I'm getting some reliable batteries that won't blow up on me in my Zion/Milaana, lol.
    I've heard this site is very reputable, but the prices on these items seem too amazing, so I just want to double check.
    http://www.illumn.com/batteries-cha...18650he4-2500mah-high-discharge-flat-top.html
    http://www.illumn.com/batteries-chargers-and-powerpax-carriers/chargers/nitecore-d4-digicharger.html

Especially that charger...cheapest on amazon is like $30. Anyone have experience with chargers from this site, or can verify that it's legit? Again, I apologize if this isn't the thread to post this in.

grokit and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  3. Lynch

Lynch New Member

I have gotten some Panasonic NCR18650B and have a XTAR VP2 charger.

What would be the safest setting to charge these at?

I have the option of 3.6V at 1A, 0.5A current charge. Would 0.5A be the safer choice?

SSVUN~YAH likes this.
  4. phattpiggie

@Lynch
    I would charge at 0.5a. The lower setting will help the battery have an overall longer lifespan.

@AJS I've seen both batteries and charger for the same kind of prices, can't help on the vendor sorry. From what I've read the chargers are supposed to have a hologram type sticker, my D2 didn't have one and has been fine.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    grokit and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  5. TheDudeNextDoor

TheDudeNextDoor Abiding

Very reliable seller. Well known and thoroughly vetted. I've ordered from the several times.

6. AJS

AJS Calm Consistency

You are a champion. Thanks for easing my worries.
    I'll wear my Dude shirt today so everyone will know you abide. Damn right you abide.

7. TheDudeNextDoor

TheDudeNextDoor Abiding

Here's a good chart of the best 18650s on the market today. Lots of rewraps out there passed off as authentic, so you have to be careful. Always buy from a reliable vendor (Illumn and IMR Batteries are my two favorites and are both fully vetted). Mooch is a battery guru by the way, who spends much time and effort testing batteries and helping people understand how to choose and use properly.

[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG]

Prolusio, macbill, Vapor_Eyes and 9 others like this.
  8. TheDudeNextDoor

TheDudeNextDoor Abiding

If you're new to 18650 batteries, rule #1

[​IMG]

9. AJS

AJS Calm Consistency

Talked to an Ecig store owner about batteries, and he took my brothers EFest batteries, threw them away, and gave him replacement batteries for free. Said he cared for his health and doesn't trust efest.
    I'm not biased, just passing on the news.
    @TheDudeNextDoor
    I had an mflb battery in my pocket, attached itself to some metal lint in my pocket, and burned a hole through my pants, dropped on my foot, and burned through my sock and burned my foot. Stay safe.

10. AJS

AJS Calm Consistency

Hey guys. Got my three 18650s and d4 in. Tossed em on just to see the specs. All reading at 3.66v, 1/5 bars. Should I store the batteries exactly how they arrived or should I charge them a little. I won't be able to use them for a few weeks until my vape arrives, and am basically wondering what's the best state to keep them in. I know between 20-80%, but they haven't been charged yet and am unaware of storage prior to use.

SSVUN~YAH likes this.
  11. phattpiggie

@AJS No harm in charging them to 3.8v and keeping an eye on them from there.

Vapor_Eyes likes this.
  12. AJS

AJS Calm Consistency

@phattpiggie if they're 3.7v do they charge up to 4.2? How does that work.
    Tia

13. phattpiggie

Yes, the charger should tell you the voltage of each battery. Then it will take it up to 4.2v.

Vapor_Eyes likes this.
  14. AJS

AJS Calm Consistency

ataxian likes this.
  15. ataxian

ataxian PALE BLUE DOT

16. Snappo

Snappo Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!" Accessory Maker

My Solo (3 years old) is indestructible and as great as anything made today. Thanks @ataxian for showing your setup!

17. TheDudeNextDoor

TheDudeNextDoor Abiding

Updated 18650 ratings table:

[​IMG]

18. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

So the Samsung 30Q could be a better candidate to compete with the LG HG2 in our applications. Notice also how like I suspected the HG2 is really rated 20A MCA when the HE2/HE4 are 25A MCA. There's no magic here, if you increase the capacity something else gotta give.

19. nosmoking

nosmoking Fogmonger

I am finding myself concerned about battery issues due to exposure of heat lately. My problem is that I go to a jobsite often and can be there for 2-4 hours and I don't want to carry my batteries around with my so they need to stay in the car. I don't really like leaving my windows much more than cracked as far as leaving them down and temps are high 80's and up lately. Is there a safe way to store them in a hot car? For instance a cooler lined bag with no cooling pack in it? Or in the trunk where the car doesn't have windows to allow sunlight perhaps? What would be the best way for me to stay safe?

SSVUN~YAH likes this.
  20. TheDudeNextDoor

TheDudeNextDoor Abiding

Excellent question! What I suggest is a small cooler -- like one of those padded lunch boxes -- to store your batts in their cases. Throw one of those plastic ice boxes -- the blue ones you can refreeze and reuse -- in there to keep the case cool and put it in a place in the vehicle where the sun won't directly hit it. That should keep you well within the safe zone for several hours.

waxdab23 and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  21. nosmoking

nosmoking Fogmonger

So a small thermos cooler in the truck with no ice pack has seemed to work well the past two weeks. I think the longest the batteries have been in the trunk is 4 hours and they don't seem to get warm even being in the trunk.

I am starting to have some problems with the wrapping on the batteries. 2 or 3 have started to unwrap themselves near the ends and/or little pieces of the wrap have been torn off exposing more metal on the battery. I need to rewrap them which I presume is rather simple, however is there a video of this anywhere?

Lastly, has disposal ever been discussed? I imagine I shouldn't just toss these in the can with all my ordinary food and household garbage. Is there a good place to recycle these that one can drop them off at or what is recommended?

SSVUN~YAH likes this.
  22. TheDudeNextDoor

TheDudeNextDoor Abiding

Great questions. You can buy wraps from imr or illumn for cheap. They are also great to color code "married" batteries. Super easy to apply -- just tear off the old wrap, cut the new wrap to size, slide the battery into the wrap, and use a hair dryer to shrink it to the the battery. You want a slight overhang on the negative and positive ends, and make sure to either use the original positive-end ring or (even better) buy some new positive-end ring with the wraps and replace them each time.

In terms of disposal, recycle them at Staples, Office Depot, Lowe's, Home Depot -- pretty much any place that deals with home improvement or office supply will have bins for these batteries. What I do is put each battery needing to be recycled in an individual sandwich bag and carry them to one of these places when convenient.

23. TheDudeNextDoor

TheDudeNextDoor Abiding

WARNING: Fake LG HG2s being sold as authentic, and you do not want them. From battery guru Mooch:

There are more fake HG2's!

There is a different variety of fake LG HG2 being sold now and they're even worse than the other one that showed up earlier this year. My sincere thanks to Matthew McKay for bringing it to my attention and for shipping a pair of them to me for testing!

The previous fake was a rewrapped 10A LG MG1. This version is a 5A battery, at most, or a very low grade battery with a higher current rating. Its voltage collapses at only 10A continuous. It doesn't match any other battery I have so I don't know what it actually is.

The discharge graphs show just how bad this fake is at 10A and 20A. The genuine HG2 is in green, the earlier fake HG2 is in red, and the newer fake (two of them) is in light and dark blue.

One good thing about this fake is that it is very easy to spot:

- There is a large gap around the battery between the top cap and the rest of the battery's metal case. This is easy to spot even through the wrap.

- Like the other version of the fake HG2 this one uses a top insulating ring that is self-adhesive, semi-gloss/shiny, and white. Genuine HG2's use a matte/textured, free-floating, off-white insulator ring.

These fakes were sold by an Amazon vendor, Amber Tech Express:
    https://www.amazon.com/…/B…/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_oaq3xbTNM7VXX

But if you receive any of them from any vendor, do not use them! Their voltage quickly collapses when used, helping to prevent them from overheating, but they're just not usable at any power level.

I cannot stress this strongly enough...only buy from known, trusted vendors! These include, but are not limited to, the following...

www.liionwholesale.com
    www.imrbatteries.com
    www.illumn.com
    www.rtdvapor.com
    www.batterybro.com
    www.orbtronic.com
    www.nkon.nl
    www.akkuteile.de
    http://ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk

The HG2 is a great battery and genuine HG2's are available from a large number of vendors. If desired, alternatives include the 3000mAh Samsung 30Q and Sony VTC6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

t-dub, SSVUN~YAH, Fat Freddy and 2 others like this.
  24. purebliss

purebliss New Member

Wow, that's insane! I guess you have to make sure you use a good reputable brand. I personally use the LG HE4 20A 18650 or the Sony VTC4.

SSVUN~YAH likes this.
  25. macbill

macbill Gregarious Misanthrope

SSVUN~YAH and KeroZen like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors