1. A no-so-short post addressing what's been going on recently.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

18650 Battery Safety

Discussion in 'Vapor Related Equipment' started by TheDudeNextDoor, Jun 13, 2015.

1. djurodjakovic

djurodjakovic Member

OMG
    is this what happens mainly with battery knock-offs and bad quality bateries or improper usage, exposure to heat, etc., or is this something that can happen to any vape/battery on the market?

2. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

Hard to tell, but often in these cases further investigation revealed that the user had something seriously wrong in his setup and/or usage.

The modern IMR/INR high discharge cells that we use are way safer than previous generations and than other notoriously dangerous chemistries. But there are still risks of course.

It must be noted that all big name cells are tested under extreme conditions (including direct prolonged shorts) and are all designed to "vent gracefully" instead of exploding and catching fire. But you can still create easily a pipe bomb if your device doesn't have enough vent holes in the proper locations (I could point the finger on the Herbstick Eco here for instance which has a meager single small diameter hole at the bottom of a closed metal tube, the X-Max/Storm being only marginally better as there are more holes but the positive side of the cell is opposite to them...)

3. djurodjakovic

djurodjakovic Member

I think that my portable vape doesn't have any vent hole so that's a ticking bomb if the battery goes "bad" :-(.
    I'm using original battery afcours. I think it's LG or Samsung.

4. TheDudeNextDoor

TheDudeNextDoor Abiding

I can almost guarantee you that most if not all of these people were using a sub-ohm tank on a hybrid mod, which is asking for trouble big time. These batteries are quite safe if maintained properly and used correctly. As long as you know and follow the basic safety considerations of the device and batteries you're using and buy legitimate cells from reputable sellers, the chance of something exploding on you like this are slim to none.

Good detailed explanation about the dangers of hybrid mods and why, specifically, they should never be used with sub-ohm tanks. Personally, I just wouldn't use them at all.

5. nomadicsoul34

nomadicsoul34 Active Member

Just to give some perspective. Its rare for this type of thing to happen.
    Im a firefighter with 16 years experience in 2 of the UKs busiest fire stations. I have seen one fire caused by a battery. It was a replacement/chinese copy dell laptop battery.
    Consider how many batteries are in all the homes in my cities that Ive served in.
    It must be many millions.
    Millions of batteries over 16 years and i can recall 1 confirmed battery fire.
    So i would say yes it happens but be sensible and be careful, have a smoke detector and youll be fine!
    Youre much more likely to suffer a kitchen fire caused by carelessness.

6. Adobewan

Adobewan Well-Known Member

Aaaggggh!! You guys have me all concerned over my batteries now:)
    Any good caps for 18650s? Like the MFLB battery caps.
    I've Google'd it with no results. Plenty of cases though.

7. NYC5IKH5jabi

NYC5IKH5jabi Well-Known Member

how dangerous is a puffco pen. can i one day hurt myself while taking a draw? im contemplating throwing away my pen.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors