XVape XLUX ROFFU

avtpl

Then realized it was not for you. Yeah you can be pissed, but you did it to yourself, if you bought one you probably wouldn’t be so upset, next time one at time until you’re sure it’s what you want. Very expensive life lessons.
I wrote earlier that I bought 1 piece of Roffu first. I used it for a month, I really liked its appearance and ergonomics. And only after that I bought 2 more pieces. And after a couple of months, I was disappointed. And yes, the lesson for the future is "take your time!"

Ps2 : maybe you should quit the bad advertisement and try to sell at least 2 ?;-)

I've already sold 1 out of three. I hope I will sell the rest

GnarlyVandal

I wrote earlier that I bought 1 piece of Roffu first. I used it for a month, I really liked its appearance and ergonomics. And only after that I bought 2 more pieces. And after a couple of months, I was disappointed. And yes, the lesson for the future is "take your time!"

I've already sold 1 out of three. I hope I will sell the rest
The Roffu is a cheaper convection vape that actually works. A couple of years ago such a device at its price point would’ve been completely unthinkable, especially with all the customisation and accessory options.

I’m literally stumped on how you used it for a month and then bought 2 more because you liked it so much, before deciding due to arbitrary tests that it’s not good enough for you, all over .018g that MOST cheap vapes would struggle to give decent hits from. Mind boggling, but also kind of funny?

I have many vapes and Roffu has never been my favourite, however for over a year it was my daily driver due to how reliable and convenient it is.

Smokers I know converted to vaping with a Roffu, something other, more expensive ‘better’ vapes never convinced them to do because of perceived downsides, including your new favourite device mentioned in your first comment. I no longer use it as my daily, but have over 30,000 puffs recorded.

Thanks for your views and attempts at scientific exploration of why the Roffu no longer meets your needs, I do however think MOST people purchase this device aware that it is not AS good as many alternatives, but 4/5’s as good at 1/3 of the price.

dukes00

The Roffu is a cheaper convection vape that actually works. A couple of years ago such a device at its price point would’ve been completely unthinkable, especially with all the customisation and accessory options.

I’m literally stumped on how you used it for a month and then bought 2 more because you liked it so much, before deciding due to arbitrary tests that it’s not good enough for you, all over .018g that MOST cheap vapes would struggle to give decent hits from. Mind boggling, but also kind of funny?

I have many vapes and Roffu has never been my favourite, however for over a year it was my daily driver due to how reliable and convenient it is.

Smokers I know converted to vaping with a Roffu, something other, more expensive ‘better’ vapes never convinced them to do because of perceived downsides, including your new favourite device mentioned in your first comment. I no longer use it as my daily, but have over 30,000 puffs recorded.

Thanks for your views and attempts at scientific exploration of why the Roffu no longer meets your needs, I do however think MOST people purchase this device aware that it is not AS good as many alternatives, but 4/5’s as good at 1/3 of the price.
Out of curiosity - what is your current daily driver?

dukes00,

GnarlyVandal

Out of curiosity - what is your current daily driver?
Up until last Tuesday I was using a Dynavap vong with an armoured cap I picked up in April, with either a big torch or Ispire wand.

Before the Roffu was my firewood 7 which is my 2nd favourite device and still sees semi-regular use.

My current DD and new favourite is tempest/wand/reload combo that arrived last week, so I’m still very much in the honeymoon period, but am absolutely loving it.

GnarlyVandal,
Reactions: dukes00

avtpl

Thank you for your adequate view from the outside. yes, it looks funny that I used it for a whole month, then bought 2 more pieces and only after that I was disappointed... But the fact is that I use vaporizers only in the evening, not every day, and I need more time to fully determine my preferences than an avid vaper.

I completely agree that for its price, Roffu does an excellent job. The person I sold the Roffu to is very happy with the purchase. And I'm glad about it too.

Last edited:

rpr

A few questions for you guys:

1. I’m struggling with the burnt popcorn taste with my Roffu. The difference in taste between the 1st and 2nd puff is huge compared to my other conduction only device. I generally vape at temps between 320F and 360F. Can you guys share any cleaning protocols that have worked well to minimize this burnt popcorn taste with the Roffu?

2. I was initially using the dosing capsules but after being disappointed with the taste I’ve been trying to just use the glass chamber with the white plastic disk so I can finish smaller amounts of herb in each session. I don’t see any instructions in the manual on whether this white disk is intended to be placed in the glass chamber first (under the herb) or last (over the herb). There are screens below and above the oven chamber so does it even matter?

3. Cleaning the device is definitely more difficult when not using the dosing capsules. Has anyone had good results by simply filling the dosing capsules 1/2 way?

FWIW, I have a TM2 on order but I would still like to experiment with the Roffu to get better results. The vapor density is great, just struggling with the burnt popcorn taste after the 1st puff even after it’s just been cleaned.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
A few questions for you guys:

1. I’m struggling with the burnt popcorn taste with my Roffu. The difference in taste between the 1st and 2nd puff is huge compared to my other conduction only device. I generally vape at temps between 320F and 360F. Can you guys share any cleaning protocols that have worked well to minimize this burnt popcorn taste with the Roffu?

2. I was initially using the dosing capsules but after being disappointed with the taste I’ve been trying to just use the glass chamber with the white plastic disk so I can finish smaller amounts of herb in each session. I don’t see any instructions in the manual on whether this white disk is intended to be placed in the glass chamber first (under the herb) or last (over the herb). There are screens below and above the oven chamber so does it even matter?

3. Cleaning the device is definitely more difficult when not using the dosing capsules. Has anyone had good results by simply filling the dosing capsules 1/2 way?

FWIW, I have a TM2 on order but I would still like to experiment with the Roffu to get better results. The vapor density is great, just struggling with the burnt popcorn taste after the 1st puff even after it’s just been cleaned.
The glass chamber's screen needs to be at bottom of the load. Don't let the herb touch that heater screen!
You mighy even try letting the chamber screen sit a little higher (you'll see a little gap between chamber screen and the heater screen below it.

Be sure you are not blocking air intake while drawing.

I don't use dosing capsules, just the lightest pack of a full chamber. Less is okay, too.

The std mouthpiece/cooling system requires more cleaning than using the optional wpa/glass mp.

rpr

Thanks. Is it fair to say that most of you guys are satisfied with taste from the Roffu and you’re not noticing much burnt popcorn taste?

If so I have an issue with my unit…or there’s a fairly significant issue with my cleaning protocol.

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Is it fair to say that most of you guys are satisfied with taste from the Roffu and you’re not noticing much burnt popcorn taste?
I am very satisfied with the taste of my Roffu. The burnt popcorn taste is reached after the load has been spent, try using the white disc raised a little as suggested by @vapviking so your herb load is not being scorched at the bottom before the whole load gets a chance to vaporize.
I would also try to blow out the top of your heater as you may have a tiny bit of herb past the heater post when you used the filter disc in the wrong position...that bit of herb will taint the taste with burnt popcorn for sure.:tup:
2. I was initially using the dosing capsules but after being disappointed with the taste
Using these introduces conduction to the vaporization process and in my opinion does reduce the flavour somewhat but makes up for that with ease of use.
The glass mouth piece/WPA also improves the taste a little by removing some silicone from the vapor path.

Last edited:

rpr

I’ve had this issue even before I tried direct loading, when I was exclusively using the dosing capsules. However, your comment about herb touching the heater screen got me thinking.

Even with exclusive use of the dosing capsules the heater screen gets stained. I’ve been cleaning it with an IPA Q-tip but I haven’t been inverting the device when doing so. XLuxe’s site and the Roffu’s manual stays silent on how to clean the heater screen (unless I missed it) but I just found an FAQ on a 3rd party retailer’s site that says cotton swabs soaked with IPA can be used to clean the heater screen but it recommends that the device be inverted when doing so to prevent any liquid from dripping into the heating element below.

So…I may have contaminated the heater.

Not sure what can be done about that if in fact that’s what’s going on. I could have sworn I saw Roffu heaters for like $35 somewhere but I can’t find it now so that might have been for a different vaporizer.

kiddvudu2

I’ve had this issue even before I tried direct loading, when I was exclusively using the dosing capsules. However, your comment about herb touching the heater screen got me thinking.

Even with exclusive use of the dosing capsules the heater screen gets stained. I’ve been cleaning it with an IPA Q-tip but I haven’t been inverting the device when doing so. XLuxe’s site and the Roffu’s manual stays silent on how to clean the heater screen (unless I missed it) but I just found an FAQ on a 3rd party retailer’s site that says cotton swabs soaked with IPA can be used to clean the heater screen but it recommends that the device be inverted when doing so to prevent any liquid from dripping into the heating element below.

So…I may have contaminated the heater.

Not sure what can be done about that if in fact that’s what’s going on. I could have sworn I saw Roffu heaters for like $35 somewhere but I can’t find it now so that might have been for a different vaporizer.
I would never allow cleaning agents to drip down inside of a heating element that I intended to inhale air through. Not sure what you can do about it now though. Maybe do some burnoff cycles and see if the smell dissipates?

Good luck!

kiddvudu2,
Reactions: LesPlenty

rpr

This is all just speculation. I’ve only sparingly dabbed the screen on the heater to clean it with a wet but not saturated Qtip. I’m only speculating that some residual amount of ipa may have infiltrated the burner. Screens on vaporizers get cleaned with ipa, I doubt I’m the only one who’s not considered inverting the device to minimize the risk of contaminating the heater, but yes my bad. Burn off cycles do not reveal any significant odor so I’m not even sure that’s what’s causing my burnt popcorn taste on almost all puffs except my first, but it’s a possibility.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Burn off cycles do not reveal any significant odor
Not herb below the screen then.
I also use 100% iso to clean the top of my Roffu oven, I have squirted iso through many vapes to clean them and just make sure to thoroughly force dry o/night before using them again. I have a Fury2 that blocks up from bong blowback that has had iso squirted through it more times than I can remember so I doubt iso has anything to do with your odor.
I use my Roffu in a few different ways and only get popcorn taste when the load is spent.
Below is an example picture of my use (no stir for any way I use it).
1725421769366-webp.56359

Native/OG, glass oven (no capsule, 6min @180c) for on-the-go with or without capsules depending on the situation...no capsules for better flavour and usually larger clouds simply due to extra herb fitting in the oven without the capsules.
WPA/glass mouthpiece (capsule, 2x6min @190c) mated with S/S oven for added conduction for that mouth-pull joint feel. This setup usually takes longer to get vapor but also takes longer finish (and the reason for the silicon sleeve, it gets hot) and can be more relaxing puffing on it than shifting a lot of air when chasing flavour/clouds convection style. The extra conduction results in a darker roast and more of a 'stoned' feeling for great pain relief.
Finally, (no capsule, 6min @180c) my favourite way to enjoy the Roffu is a glass oven attached directly to a j-hook so I can remove the vape/heat from the bowl between puffs. This gives me the cleanest flavour and is simple to load, empty and clean with a very even roast.
I will also add that my latest version of the Roffu (improvements/tweaks have been ongoing) which uses the stainless steel spring retainer for the oven had less smell during the burn-off-before-first-use smell.

LesPlenty,

Dvoped

Hi guys!
I bought a Roffu lite kit more than a month ago, and sadly I still haven't used it with herb.
I went through at least 5 full battery cycles and the silicon/rubber/plastic smell is still there. I don't think it diminished at all really.
I did different temps, different times, with blowing in the intake, doing cigar puffs, with the mouthpiece on/off.. But the smell is still there.

Did anyone get lucky and the smell disappeared after such a long time?

Also, if I let the vape heat to 200C, after 3-4 minutes the (stock)mouthpiece gets so hot it is very uncomfortable for the lips. I read here that many users do 220C sessions. Is it possible that my unit has a faulty heater that heats way over the selected temperature value?

Dvoped,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
the silicon/rubber/plastic smell is still there
The only smell, if any (apart from the normal Kanthal taste some peeps can taste), comes from the new silicone in the cooling unit. The best way to get rid of the new silicone smell (if it a problem for you) is to wash the silicone part with soapy water, rinse very thoroughly then leave the silicon in the sun to dry for a day or three. I have also been told that baking the silicon in a fan-forced oven on low for an hour or so can speed up the curing process but I have not had to do this myself.
Also, if I let the vape heat to 200C, after 3-4 minutes the (stock)mouthpiece gets so hot it is very uncomfortable for the lips. I read here that many users do 220C sessions. Is it possible that my unit has a faulty heater that heats way over the selected temperature value?
Doing continuous back-to-back heat cycles without drawing air through the unit will get every part of the vape hotter than it was designed for as the unit is a convection device that uses air to shift heat through the load from the heater.
That said, I like my silicone armour sleeve when using capsules and having back-to-back sessions as the unit can get quite hot.
Here is an idea of how hot the CU can get for reference,
1651470299022-jpg.36486

Last edited:
LesPlenty,
Reactions: XpeeN

Dvoped

Hi!
Thanks for the reply. As others have stated before me, the smell comes from inside the device, and not from the mouthpiece. It is way more apparent in higher temps. Below 190C it is barely noticeable.
I guess I have a faulty device, as many before me..
I will do 1 more battery charge of burnoffs, if it doesn't help I will try to get it exchanged for a new piece.

Dvoped,
Top Bottom