XVAPE FOG Pro

Robert-in-YEG

Sitting with the Fog Pro this morning, enjoying some Cotton Candy.

Waking up, something light and tasty was in order. This is where the Fog Pro shines. Cotton Candy at 348F; for me, the Fog Pro excels at low temps.

Robert-in-YEG

Vapinski

I use this adapter. DV dimpled stems fit the mp adapter and larger diameter hose can be used in place of the included hose for better flow. You can just put the 14mm joint onto the mp adapter. I remove the SS adapters from the inside of the silicone adapters that secures the thin silicone hose that comes with the Xmax adapter.

Sneaky Pete has his own version.

Sneaky Pete’s Hula XL DV stems.

On the DIY front, mp adapter on the BBvapes Tectonic DV stem and the Simrell Mighty adapter both work in reverse and work with a Xmax 14mm joint(some don’t fit) into the Fog Pro swivel mp hole.

I know this is a year old but when you say, “the Simrell-Mighty adapter works in reverse” are you meaning that the side the Dynavap is supposed to go on is the side that fits into the fog pro?

Petetbay

I know this is a year old but when you say, “the Simrell-Mighty adapter works in reverse” are you meaning that the side the Dynavap is supposed to go on is the side that fits into the fog pro?
Don’t bother looking back, you can use the mighty side but the silicone grommet needs to be modded by cutting, the DV side can be used without modification and needs glass to fit the Mighty side and was not secure.:doh: I use the Ace mp top now because the magnets are way stronger.

ozbrit

As a long time buyer of vaporizers I bought the Fog pro on the basis of the performance of the Xmax Starry 3 which I find to be an excellent device. On reading posts here I got the impression the Fog pro was similarly good. One of the Starry's strong points is its generous bowl. Going by posts here inferring the Fog's oven is also on the generous side, I purchased one and find that it only takes ~ .2g. It's my first vape with convection heating and I don't like it one bit. I started it at 390f the same as I use on the starry. I set it to a 10 min session and waited a minute or two (even after the haptic vibration, which I'm not fond of) and took 6 second sips with 30 second gaps between and found there was next to no visible vapour unless I sucked and then blew when vapour clearly issued from the cooling grills. I did this because I wondered if there was an air leak on the head unit or around the mouthpiece swivel. Anyhow there must have been something invisible coming through as after the sesh I could feel about half the effect I'd get with a similar sesh on the starry.

On emptying out the bowl the top layer of grind was just as it looked when loaded. I could see the layers below had a certain amount of browning, but not like one might expect, they certainly weren't spent - a mid even brown, top to bottom and side to side as I see in the starry or other vapes.

In subsequent sessions I raised the temp to 415f on one and then 425f on another and not much better at extracting cannabinoid at those levels either, but It has irritated my upper respiratory system and that's something I avoid like the plague.

Either the convection system doesn't suit my needs, the Fog pro is faulty or it's just a crap device.

I've now ordered an Xmax Ace which has similar external dimensions to the Fog pro but has conduction heating. I don't think the Ace will have a bowl capable of taking ~ .3g of grind like the starry either. Why don't the producers of vapes give this info?

My verdict on the Fog pro, is unless you know it's for you - a friend has one for example, don't buy it.

Last edited:

AssistedLiving

isn't the xlux roffu the most recent & best reviewed device from them,

and currently discounted with the JINGLE code??

Subtotal$129.00
Coupon: jingle-$28.38 [Remove]
Shipping
  • FREE Shipping
  • Express Shipping
Shipping to CA.
Change address
Total$100.62

AssistedLiving,
Reactions: LesPlenty

LesPlenty

Company Rep
On emptying out the bowl the top layer of grind was just as it looked when loaded. I could see the layers below had a certain amount of browning, but not like one might expect, they certainly weren't spent - a mid even brown, top to bottom and side to side as I see in the starry or other vapes.
Remember, do not pack the botanicals in convection devices, sprinkle fill the bowl for best (even) results.
Either the convection system doesn't suit my needs, the Fog pro is faulty or it's just a crap device.
You are the vapor engine with convection devices so the longer and harder you can pull, the more vapor you will get, and a bowl is usually spent in anywhere from 2 to 12 puffs...it depends on you and your herb.
isn't the xlux roffu the most recent & best reviewed device from them,
Yes but the Fog Pro is not a bad unit at all, same sized oven just built-in with a simple mouthpiece with no bells and whistles in the CU as a Roffu.

ozbrit

Remember, do not pack the botanicals in convection devices, sprinkle fill the bowl for best (even) results.
Thanks for the tip
You are the vapor engine with convection devices so the longer and harder you can pull, the more vapor you will get, and a bowl is usually spent in anywhere from 2 to 12 puffs...it depends on you and your herb.
Surely 6-7 secs is long enough. While I usually take gentle inhalation with the conduction vapes I'm familiar with, I did try a stronger suck which caused my wife to ask "are you trying to suck that thing inside out?" I've even placed the mouthpiece housing over my thumb and sucked to check it was sealing and it was. I can't be doing with that. For the time being I've put the Fog back in it's box rueing my mistake in buying it, but will when I have the inclination give it another try with loosely loaded grind. Thanks for your time and assistance :).

LesPlenty

Company Rep
but will when I have the inclination give it another try with loosely loaded grind
Your 6-second puff should be fine, 10 would be better but the loose pack is the deal breaker as you need the hot air pulled thru the load to vaporize the oils in the herbs.
The first puff is nearly always a little light vapor-wise but high on terp flavour with convection-heavy vapes but the second and third should be pumping steady vapor and that will rise as flavour falls...there is only so much in one load of herb to give up:tup:

ozbrit

Your 6-second puff should be fine, 10 would be better but the loose pack is the deal breaker as you need the hot air pulled thru the load to vaporize the oils in the herbs.
The first puff is nearly always a little light vapor-wise but high on terp flavour with convection-heavy vapes but the second and third should be pumping steady vapor and that will rise as flavour falls...there is only so much in one load of herb to give up:tup:
I now realise the Fog isn't my first convection. I have an Arizer Solo 2 which I quite like but don't use as the glass tube can only take ~ .15g and that's too little for me. I suppose I could load up two glass tubes and vape them in tandem, I just prefer to get a sesh over in one go.
I wouldn't say the Fog is anywhere near as effective as the Solo 2, but is of course quite a bit cheaper. I'm still using the Starry 3.0 it's really good at draining the grind of cannabinoids at 390f. The only real downside to the starry is the hot body, but that doesn't inc the battery, which would be concerning if it did. It's why I bought the fog with a larger body. Now I hope the Xmax Ace (eta tomorrow) will perform similarly as the Starry with a cooler body. That said it appears the oven size is more that of the Fog which can take ~ .2 to .25g of grind. I can't say that terp flavours interest me, I have a nasal allergy issue which pretty well dulls my sense of smell and that in turn affects the taste buds too.

Last edited:

420Roo

As a long time buyer of vaporizers I bought the Fog pro on the basis of the performance of the Xmax Starry 3 which I find to be an excellent device. On reading posts here I got the impression the Fog pro was similarly good. One of the Starry's strong points is its generous bowl. Going by posts here inferring the Fog's oven is also on the generous side, I purchased one and find that it only takes ~ .2g. It's my first vape with convection heating and I don't like it one bit. I started it at 390f the same as I use on the starry. I set it to a 10 min session and waited a minute or two (even after the haptic vibration, which I'm not fond of) and took 6 second sips with 30 second gaps between and found there was next to no visible vapour unless I sucked and then blew when vapour clearly issued from the cooling grills. I did this because I wondered if there was an air leak on the head unit or around the mouthpiece swivel. Anyhow there must have been something invisible coming through as after the sesh I could feel about half the effect I'd get with a similar sesh on the starry.

In subsequent sessions I raised the temp to 415f on one and then 425f on another and not much better at extracting cannabinoid at those levels either, but It has irritated my upper respiratory system and that's something I avoid like the plague.

I've now ordered an Xmax Ace which has similar external dimensions to the Fog pro but has conduction heating. I don't think the Ace will have a bowl capable of taking ~ .3g of grind like the starry either. Why don't the producers of vapes give this info?

My verdict on the Fog pro, is unless you know it's for you - a friend has one for example, don't buy it.
Hiya, I had similar frustrations to you with my fog pro, I've had to do a lot of experimenting to work out what's going on in there. I found that the fog is a good device, but the V3 Pro seems better. The fog has a few flaws that affect ease of use and function, the obvious being the swivel mouthpiece, although replaceable, annoying to worry about.. weakish top magnets, a little cumbersome to clean, though good relatively for convection.
Function flaws would be that it seems the vape is targeted to people that enjoy the vapor taste itself and use often. In order to improve this experience they wanted to increase the bowel size not just for more draws, but even less conduction and more convection for taste combined with cooler vapor from a longer path makes it the best and most comfortable vape for its target consumer. One good side effect is the abv can be more even cooked than perhaps the V3 I'm assuming if you mix the bowel halfway (perhaps twice mixed). The problem is in order to achieve even heating while also producing the maximum amount of vapor requires other variables to vaping to be more specific or consequences are more dramatic.
Firstly the more herb in the bowel, then the more heat distributes in the bowel for more intense vapor release as its heated all together. Secondly, the herb needs to be relatively fluffy, but not too fluffy or there's too many air paths throughout which doesn't heat some of the herb (If too dense then it burns at the bottom more). There's other consequences to making the bowel bigger with the traditional oven (only holes on bottom) and that is more time to heat up the herb (noticeable even between draws).
So the main technique with the fog pro is to prime the oven slowly and then increase draw speed to a more comfortable rate, but still slow relative to other vapes as you're relying on the convection in there to move around evenly while you're drawing for consistently high vapor. Unfortunately all this leads to a draw average time of about 20s if you want harder hits. It won't beat the V3 in hitting you harder because with the V3 you can draw faster even if the total vapor per breath is much less, you probably get more vapor than the fog in 8s then you would on the fog in 12s as an example.
After you mix the abv around once vapor is dropping off, you can then increase temps. I personally start with 185C before the first stir/mix, but if its cold air then I increase it in combination with slower draw (this goes for all convection vapes).
Lastly if bowel is packed less then it needs to be packed a bit more with a bit lower temp and slower draw to avoid the herb flying around in there producing an air path of that doesn't cook pretty much most of it and it'll gunk up the filter piece faster.

Anyone with a V3 Pro and Fog Pro care to share their input?

ozbrit

Hiya, I had similar frustrations to you with my fog pro, I've had to do a lot of experimenting to work out what's going on in there. I found that the fog is a good device, but the V3 Pro seems better. The fog has a few flaws that affect ease of use and function, the obvious being the swivel mouthpiece, although replaceable, annoying to worry about.. weakish top magnets, a little cumbersome to clean, though good relatively for convection.
Function flaws would be that it seems the vape is targeted to people that enjoy the vapor taste itself and use often. In order to improve this experience they wanted to increase the bowel size not just for more draws, but even less conduction and more convection for taste combined with cooler vapor from a longer path makes it the best and most comfortable vape for its target consumer. One good side effect is the abv can be more even cooked than perhaps the V3 I'm assuming if you mix the bowel halfway (perhaps twice mixed). The problem is in order to achieve even heating while also producing the maximum amount of vapor requires other variables to vaping to be more specific or consequences are more dramatic.
Firstly the more herb in the bowel, then the more heat distributes in the bowel for more intense vapor release as its heated all together. Secondly, the herb needs to be relatively fluffy, but not too fluffy or there's too many air paths throughout which doesn't heat some of the herb (If too dense then it burns at the bottom more). There's other consequences to making the bowel bigger with the traditional oven (only holes on bottom) and that is more time to heat up the herb (noticeable even between draws).
So the main technique with the fog pro is to prime the oven slowly and then increase draw speed to a more comfortable rate, but still slow relative to other vapes as you're relying on the convection in there to move around evenly while you're drawing for consistently high vapor. Unfortunately all this leads to a draw average time of about 20s if you want harder hits. It won't beat the V3 in hitting you harder because with the V3 you can draw faster even if the total vapor per breath is much less, you probably get more vapor than the fog in 8s then you would on the fog in 12s as an example.
After you mix the abv around once vapor is dropping off, you can then increase temps. I personally start with 185C before the first stir/mix, but if its cold air then I increase it in combination with slower draw (this goes for all convection vapes).
Lastly if bowel is packed less then it needs to be packed a bit more with a bit lower temp and slower draw to avoid the herb flying around in there producing an air path of that doesn't cook pretty much most of it and it'll gunk up the filter piece faster.

Anyone with a V3 Pro and Fog Pro care to share their input?
Thanks for that and yes the provision of a stir tool indicates this vape involves a hands on approach. I've now got two Xmax Ace conduction vapes (one spare) to compliment my Starry. Not being one for terps I've come to the conclusion that conduction and not convection's for me and have retired the Fog after half a dozen tries (anyone interested?).

The Ace is virtually the same size as the Fog pro overall and with oven size ~ .25g and I think it's the dogs nuts, just fill the oven to the upper edge of the oven and disregard the haptic vibration to indicate the vape is ready to suck - it isn't, I imagine the thermostat just reports the oven walls have reached the dialed in temp. I give it two mins 30 secs from firing up before I take a drag. I get a good amount of visible vapour at 365f thats quite a bit lower than the 390f I generally go for. I set vapes to the highest temp before any discomfort or tickly coughing starts and I suspect that vapes in the low to mid cost are not that well calibrated in this regard. The AVP is a uniform rich roast coffee appearance after 10 mins in which time I've probably taken 16-20 tokes appx 30 secs apart.

Thanks for your tips and observations but it's the Ace which currently floats my boat :)

RxPlorer

It's nothing special. It worked fine as a mobile convection unit for me for a while. Haven't touched it since getting the AirVape Legacy Pro (convection/conduction) and I probably won't ever use it again

RxPlorer,
Reactions: LeftBased

Robert-in-YEG

Normally I would post this in 'What's in your vape' or 'Sativa lovers', but the 'Fog Pro' doesn't get much love, some beautiful flower arrived, the smell was lovely, so it is Fog Pro time.

The aroma when I opened the package was amazing. It has a strong grape fruity sweet smell. Without question this is good tasting flower.

When it comes to taste the Fog Pro is my favourite. It terms of preserving the flavour, the Fog Pro is my favourite convection vape. The Fog Pro also has a huge chamber. While I am not sure if the specs reflect the size of the oven, but my estimation is that the chamber is larger than the Tera or the Starry v3.

Robert-in-YEG

LesPlenty

Company Rep
The Fog Pro also has a huge chamber.
The Fog Pro oven uses the same dosing caps as a Roffu, V3Pro, POTV One etc and is actually very similar, maybe a bit smaller (just) than the ovens in the vapes you mentioned (I just double-checked by filling a Fog Pro and then tipping the contents into the other vapes.:2c:
I will agree that the flavour from the Fog Pro is great and one user tip is to not overpack the unit at all so the MP silicone can seal in the top of the oven as this helps counteract the less-than-strong MP magnets.
Edit, see the next couple of posts (the caps I was using in the Fog Pro on occasion do not fit properly!)

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
The HR Rouge caps are slightly wider, don’t fit the V3Pro or Roffu, but fit perfectly in the Fog Pro, barely rattle sideways, same height.

V3Pro and Rouge caps
Thanks for the heads up @Petetbay, no wonder I always got whispy results using those caps (and the reason I rarely used them) in the Fog Pro!:bang:
Just checked with the verniers, Fog Pro=12.41mm oven ID
Tera= 14.92mm oven ID
V3P=11.01mm oven ID

Last edited:

Robert-in-YEG

I find to be an excellent device
I have to agree.

In the past months, the Fog Pro sat idle because I was doing everything through the bong. Prior to a few days ago, I cannot recall ever hooking the Fog Pro to the bong: I dislike rubber whips. That was a mistake.

Connected to a bong, this is the best performing vape that I have. I'm blown away by how well this works.

The Fog Pro for me has been a sipping vape, not one for huge rips. However, using a bong I can get enough airflow to cook most of the goodness out of a load in about 4 minutes. This is at least twice as fast as the Tera can cook weed. The Fog Pro also has a larger chamber, so it is a heavy hitter.

I really wish some enterprising inventor would develop a ceramic top for this vape.

The oven in the Fog Pro heats in less than 30 seconds, it cooks way more efficiently than the V3 Pro, it has a bigger oven, it is better looking, and the batteries last longer. It is the better vape. That is my opinion, others may disagree.

Again, just my opinion, but this is an underrated vape. If you have a Fog Pro and a bong, give it a rip.

Robert-in-YEG

MizzBudz

G'day :-)

Quick intro before bombarding ya'll with a sh*tload of questions.

Live in a remote area of Australia and my weed habit is extremely solitary as I do not know anyone who smokes weed here, let alone vape. Due to the remoteness and lack of toke buddies, I could only stock up when like-minded friends came to town (an ounce would last me a year 'cos it had to...my out-of-town people do love me but not enough to visit more than yearly...it's an excruciatingly long drive or a very expensive plane flight). I've smoked weed and tobacco for 40+ years. Quit the cigarettes over 12 months ago. Didn't quit weed. ;-). Got myself on medical MJ and have an XVape Fog Pro (which is what the Dr prescribed). Had it for approx a week (turned up in the mail on 15/05/23). So I read the sad little manual, do everything it says, and have a go. For the first couple of tries I probably wasted a bit of herb, but persevered anyway.

So the questions are:

1. how do you know the herb is finished? I stopped when it was mostly brown and felt dry. What should be done with the finished material? Is it useful for anything apart from compost?

2. is there supposed to be heaps of visible vapour? That only happened if I went at it like trying to suck a golf ball up a garden hose. When doing short "sips" there was nothing showing on exhale. The receptacle in the device was about 3/4 full of loosely packed herb that I ground up fairly fine in a mortar & pestle.

3. is grinding herb in a mortar & pestle the right way to go about it?

4. the XVape FP is factory set to 180deg and 5 min session. The 5 min timeframe works for me (one does become happily baked), but not sure about the temp. What happens if the temp is set higher or lower?

5. how often and with what to clean the bowl? Right now I'm using a tiny paintbrush pretty much straight after a session. That seems to remove any material left. The device came with some alcohol wipes; why? It also came with a couple of O-rings; again, why?

That'll do for this time around. Thanks people...I am a sponge to soak up your wisdom and advice. :-)

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Welcome to the forum and well done on giving up the ciggies! I was a spliff smoker (weed and tobacco in a 2.5 paper) for just shy of 30 years (started in Mt Isa) and know it is not an easy thing to do.
Is it useful for anything apart from compost?
You can sprinkle it on ice cream, chug it in a milkshake or cook with it as there will be some goodness left behind.
is there supposed to be heaps of visible vapour?
Not heaps but plenty with the Fog Pro as long as you turn up the temperature (flat out is fine), pack it properly (lightly, do not tamp it down too much) and take long slow/medium speed draws. Another 'trick' for convection-heavy devices is to spread your ground-up bud on a sheet of paper for 5 minutes to dry out the material a little more just before vaping.
is grinding herb in a mortar & pestle the right way to go about it?
No, scissors would be better and a dedicated herb grinder is great at helping to keep this uniform. A medium grind is better as this is a convection-orientated vape, this means your breath is the driver of the engine so you need to draw hot air thru the load to vaporize it and a fine grind slows airflow so a medium grind and almost fill the oven (I leave about a millimeter or 2 of stainless steel showing in the bowl) should see better results.
Right now I'm using a tiny paintbrush pretty much straight after a session.
Great idea, q-tips also work well if you singe your brush.
The device came with some alcohol wipes; why? It also came with a couple of O-rings; again, why?
These can be used to remove any staining/build-up in the oven over time.
The o-rings are actually spare slip rings that fit between the mouthpiece tip and the cooling unit to allow the MP to rotate.

Petetbay

So the questions are:
Answer me these questions three and the other side you will see. No, five.
1. how do you know the herb is finished? I stopped when it was mostly brown and felt dry. What should be done with the finished material? Is it useful for anything apart from compost?
Hard brown is good, you don’t want any green, even though low temps can vape good and produce green product that fully extracted. Compost don’t bother with avb.
2. is there supposed to be heaps of visible vapour? That only happened if I went at it like trying to suck a golf ball up a garden hose. When doing short "sips" there was nothing showing on exhale. The receptacle in the device was about 3/4 full of loosely packed herb that I ground up fairly fine in a mortar & pestle.
Too tight pack and too fine.
No. what Les said.
4. the XVape FP is factory set to 180deg and 5 min session. The 5 min timeframe works for me (one does become happily baked), but not sure about the temp. What happens if the temp is set higher or lower
Try 185*C start ramp up 5* after every 3-4 pulls. Steady 15sec pulls 1st 5 sec I cover the air holes with the index finger to restrict air flow. When vapor falls off and tasteless you’re done.

Les beat me so I’ll limit my involvement. :doh:

LeftBased

G'day :-)

Quick intro before bombarding ya'll with a sh*tload of questions.

Live in a remote area of Australia and my weed habit is extremely solitary as I do not know anyone who smokes weed here, let alone vape. Due to the remoteness and lack of toke buddies, I could only stock up when like-minded friends came to town (an ounce would last me a year 'cos it had to...my out-of-town people do love me but not enough to visit more than yearly...it's an excruciatingly long drive or a very expensive plane flight). I've smoked weed and tobacco for 40+ years. Quit the cigarettes over 12 months ago. Didn't quit weed. ;-). Got myself on medical MJ and have an XVape Fog Pro (which is what the Dr prescribed). Had it for approx a week (turned up in the mail on 15/05/23). So I read the sad little manual, do everything it says, and have a go. For the first couple of tries I probably wasted a bit of herb, but persevered anyway.

So the questions are:

4. the XVape FP is factory set to 180deg and 5 min session. The 5 min timeframe works for me (one does become happily baked), but not sure about the temp. What happens if the temp is set higher or lower?

5. how often and with what to clean the bowl? Right now I'm using a tiny paintbrush pretty much straight after a session. That seems to remove any material left. The device came with some alcohol wipes; why? It also came with a couple of O-rings; again, why?

That'll do for this time around. Thanks people...I am a sponge to soak up your wisdom and advice. :-)
I would temp step start off about 360f for about three puffs than 375f for another three than 383f for another set, than finally 390f to finish off.

I've experimented with 356f, 365f, 370f, 383f, 390f with temp stepping.

Basically anywhere between 360f to 428f range. A good maximum THC range would be 400f so at 400f should be most efficient however compare to combustion dry herb vaping is already efficient.

There is vapes that have temp stepping built in and mobile access to adjust modes.

Last edited:

MizzBudz

Welcome to the forum and well done on giving up the ciggies! I was a spliff smoker (weed and tobacco in a 2.5 paper) for just shy of 30 years (started in Mt Isa) and know it is not an easy thing to do.

Thanks for the just fab reply. :-) Stopping the tobacco actually wasn't as hard as I thought it might have been (and therefore never tried). Got quite ill this time last year and couldn't smoke, and besides the price per packet/pouch had gone past obscene, so when I starting breathing without coughing again (took around 2 months), just didn't go back. Had one slip up at the 3 month mark; instant "grab the fence or you'll fall over whilst your face goes an interesting shade of purple" coughing fit and haven't done it since. There's a half pouch on my table somewhere...

You can sprinkle it on ice cream, chug it in a milkshake or cook with it as there will be some goodness left behind.

Into the Spag Bol methinks. Will tell spouse beforehand.

Not heaps but plenty with the Fog Pro as long as you turn up the temperature (flat out is fine), pack it properly (lightly, do not tamp it down too much) and take long slow/medium speed draws. Another 'trick' for convection-heavy devices is to spread your ground-up bud on a sheet of paper for 5 minutes to dry out the material a little more just before vaping.

Righto.

No, scissors would be better and a dedicated herb grinder is great at helping to keep this uniform. A medium grind is better as this is a convection-orientated vape, this means your breath is the driver of the engine so you need to draw hot air thru the load to vaporize it and a fine grind slows airflow so a medium grind and almost fill the oven (I leave about a millimeter or 2 of stainless steel showing in the bowl) should see better results.

Righto. That explains the herb that attaches to the bottom of the mouthpiece. Too wet, too fine, and oversuck.

Great idea, q-tips also work well if you singe your brush.

Hasn't got hot enough for me to be worried about that. Yet.

These can be used to remove any staining/build-up in the oven over time.
The o-rings are actually spare slip rings that fit between the mouthpiece tip and the cooling unit to allow the MP to rotate.

All so helpful. Thanks muchly.

Top Bottom