XMAX Starry 4, Portable Vaporizer

seedy53

just tried the starry 4 and so far there a few things i like, but to be honest, there are many things i don't like on the conduction only unit. the biggest positive is it's the perfect sized for hand holding,usb-c and removable battery and ceramic lined oven with temps that can reach 464f.
the negs things, are all related to the units insulation, it is very hot case after 3 min and long cool down time. at 6 in at 420f it's to hot to handle. 2nd session the battery gets to hot as well. scary. the mouthpiece gets to hot and needs a new or larger and better cooling (CPU) system in the head section. i've only used it 4 sessions-6min ea. the dose caps require higher heat too, i don't use caps anymore.

i need more time with the unit to determine if i can recommend the Starry 4. At $99 i think that price is too high do to similar units out there.
i really want to like the unit but i just don't know if it is worth it at current price.
also it looks like it's best, as a 1 session, to be used once every 30 mins. it might be the safest and coolest thing to use it for.

StoneCold

just tried the starry 4 and so far there a few things i like, but to be honest, there are many things i don't like on the conduction only unit. the biggest positive is it's the perfect sized for hand holding,usb-c and removable battery and ceramic lined oven with temps that can reach 464f.
the negs things, are all related to the units insulation, it is very hot case after 3 min and long cool down time. at 6 in at 420f it's to hot to handle. 2nd session the battery gets to hot as well. scary. the mouthpiece gets to hot and needs a new or larger and better cooling (CPU) system in the head section. i've only used it 4 sessions-6min ea. the dose caps require higher heat too, i don't use caps anymore.

i need more time with the unit to determine if i can recommend the Starry 4. At $99 i think that price is too high do to similar units out there.
i really want to like the unit but i just don't know if it is worth it at current price.
also it looks like it's best, as a 1 session, to be used once every 30 mins. it might be the safest and coolest thing to use it for.
I was abit hesitant to post about the units temperature but it's definitely a problem,it gets way too hot and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it back in my pocket or case until its cooled down.

llamaman001

I agree regarding the temperature. I made an adjustment to the session timer, approximately to 5 minutes. I have limited feeling in my hands and I cannot even briefly touch the mouthpiece without experiencing a burning sensation. I have set the temperature to 390F, but I am unable to use it without the silicon mouthpiece. Additionally, when using it with a water pipe, the heat intensifies due to the extended draw length for each hit.

The most surprising aspect of this device is its effects. I have never encountered a conduction unit that produces such a "light" effect. By "light," I mean that the body high is not as potent and intense as it typically is with conduction units. Instead, it tends to create a more uplifting kind of high, which confused me to some extent.

Overall, this unit has the potential to be excellent if the heat-related issues could be addressed. Nevertheless, I will continue to use it on a weekly basis.

Petetbay

I didnt get one in the box.

The device looks beautiful so I don't really want to ruin it with a silicone cover, I thought they'd fixed the device from getting too hot?
It’s a accessory purchase not included, there presently isn’t a Starry4 version, but the 3 version can be used.

They improved the heat insulation, but if you run hi-temps, long sessions or multiple sessions, the heat generated by the large bowl overwhelms any insulation and the mp generates lots of heat that is fed back to the body. There’s only so much you can do in such a small device to alleviate the heat. :2c:

Last edited:

StoneCold

My friends got the starry 4 in black and she's not experiencing the same heat issues
It’s a accessory purchase not included, there presently isn’t a Starry4 version, but the 3 version can be used.

They improved the heat insulation, but if you run hi-temps, long sessions or multiple sessions, the heat generated by the large bowl overwhelms any insulation and the mp generates lots of heat that is fed back to the body. There’s only so much you can do in such a small device to alleviate the heat. :2c:

Petetbay

My friends got the starry 4 in black and she's not experiencing the same heat issues
If you keep it below 390*F and run single 4 min sessions it will be ok, 400+ and extended sessions it will get too hot, the v4 is better than the v3 especially at lower temps. I run 415-434*F usually so the skin is required. Just did 10min @ 370*F and it’s hot at the top and pretty warm the rest of the body, with no skin and it’s acceptable.

StoneCold

Well after speaking to the owner of the vape shop I bought it from he's telling me not to use it above 210c and for no longer than 4 mins 🤦🏻‍♂️,he doesn't seem interested that I might have a faulty device and has been extremely rude and aggressive with him responses.

Petetbay

Well after speaking to the owner of the vape shop I bought it from he's telling me not to use it above 210c and for no longer than 4 mins 🤦🏻‍♂️,he doesn't seem interested that I might have a faulty device and has been extremely rude and aggressive with him responses.
Your local shop is not going exchange/refund when there’s nothing with it. If you are not satisfied with the performance of the device you could contact the manufacturer there is a rep here that will soon drop by and try help you out the best he can. You said it’s too hot after 2 6min sessions, not stating the temp which is very important detail, like I said it’s normal for this device to get very hot over 390*F especially if you do longer than 4 min sessions. POTV does returns if you are not satisfied with the device, most local shops won’t do that unless there’s a problem with the device, though they’re your best choice to resolve it quickly if there is. There’s Starry 4 skins and ceramic wpa’s coming I’d get a skin, that will solve your complaint. There’s a reason they’re coming out with a skin, I think maybe because it gets hot or they just wanted to sell 4 skins.

StoneCold

Your local shop is not going exchange/refund when there’s nothing with it. If you are not satisfied with the performance of the device you could contact the manufacturer there is a rep here that will soon drop by and try help you out the best he can. You said it’s too hot after 2 6min sessions, not stating the temp which is very important detail, like I said it’s normal for this device to get very hot over 390*F especially if you do longer than 4 min sessions. POTV does returns if you are not satisfied with the device, most local shops won’t do that unless there’s a problem with the device, though they’re your best choice to resolve it quickly if there is. There’s Starry 4 skins and ceramic wpa’s coming I’d get a skin, that will solve your complaint. There’s a reason they’re coming out with a skin, I think maybe because it gets hot or they just wanted to sell 4 skins.
The shop is going to do a refund as the device gets alot hotter than my friends, and especially the battery is v hot.

He wasn't v helpful and told me not to use it over 210c and for no longer than 4 mins which is daft considering it can go up to 230c? And do 4, 6 & 10 min sessions.

I've contacted xmax via FB and have sent off an email to the address they gave me sadly it'll be too late.

StoneCold

This is normal for a small format vaporizer. C'mon, it can be 400+ degrees in there! As @Petetbay said, that heat is going to find its' way to the surface before long.
So, yeah there's a reason folks putting silicone sleeves on these hand-helds.

I don't recall a claim that they had fixed the heat issue, I recall them saying it was some "x" degrees cooler on the outside (I don't remember the 'x'). So, they reduced the severity of the issue, making it more comfortable for some users, but it seems, not all users.

I was personally surprised to see silicone condoms for the mouthpiece itself included in the packaging. I guess they might say it is for people who shre, to each have their own? But I think they are actually for use as a heat shield...

There is probably something different about the way you are each using it. (temp. settings, duration of hits, length of sesh, time between bowls, number of bowls in succession)
The tip does get got but that doesn't bother me enough to use the tips.

Its a shame the device is beautiful.

No nothing different we tested at 210c for 6 mins each using a cap. I think even with a silicone sleeve it wouldn't make much difference but then again I've not used one on a vape before so it's hard to tell.

seedy53

they should only offer 4 min session for flower, higher 6 and 10 for hash or wax.
also, a way to add a body cooling wrap cover and a nicer mouthpiece cover, like a attachable glass or ceramic slip-on cooling straw.
the silicone condom is a cheap ugly add-on

Spin0620

Do what I did. Get the fog whip and the avlp 3d removable cooling air path they sell at vgoodies. Take the part off the whip that attaches to the mouth piece and slip it over the starry mouth piece and on the other end of that piece put the avlp glass piece into it. Fits perfectly. Nice glass stem 🤷

seedy53

Do what I did. Get the fog whip and the avlp 3d removable cooling air path they sell at vgoodies. Take the part off the whip that attaches to the mouth piece and slip it over the starry mouth piece and on the other end of that piece put the avlp glass piece into it. Fits perfectly. Nice glass stem 🤷
what is the inside diameter (id) and outside diameter (OD) of the fog whip hose in fraction of an inch or mm. i may have a silicone hose that will fit or i'll buy a couple ft.
i need to know those dimensions, though.

Petetbay

what is the inside diameter (id) and outside diameter (OD) of the fog whip hose in fraction of an inch or mm. i may have a silicone hose that will fit or i'll buy a couple ft.
i need to know those dimensions, though.
The hose it comes with is OD 6.5mm ID 4mm. It connects to SS button/tube connector and is loose fit in the silicone and can’t be used without the SS tube connector, I toss the SS button/tube connector and that thin hose and fit a 1/2in hose anywhere 12-13mm is good. :2c:

Spin0620

My starry 4 setup.
20230627-202250.jpg

seedy53

It's the silicone adapter from the fog whip with the removable glass air path from the avlp that is sold at vgoodies placed in the other end of the adapter. Perfect fit.
don't know if i will spend 30 dollars more to fix the mouthpiece heat issue and another 10 to 20 dollars more for a unit case insulate wrap cover to fix the shell heat issue. seems excessive money for a newly realest vaporizer. why not buy a more advanced $150 vaporizer instead that doesn't have those heat problems, just saying?

Last edited:
Top Bottom