• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Whip Tubing - All Your Questions Answered!

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
Hey tunes....I have been a huge fan of hooking up my DT donuts to all my rigs with glass elbows and silicon tubing. Makes this great little atty even better. :o

You can use a 1/4" or 5/16" hose for the v2.5 or pyrex mouthpiece for the DT donuts. It hooks up nice and snug.

If you're shooting for even greater airflow, you can attach a 1/2" ID to a v2.7 wide-mouth mouthpiece, but these larger hoses tend to be less flexible and don't bend as easily. Holding your DT atomizer upside down or at a significant tilt is not a good solution for this, because you will just end up splashing oil even more.

If you want the bigger hits with the 1/2" (and it's worth it IMO) you may want to get some 18mm male / male bent angled adapters or some sort of glass elbow to make a sharp bend on top of your mouthpiece. You may want two of these to make a double glass-on-silicon elbow, this is the most high-performance method to connect your DT atomizer to an 18mm input rig. :tup:

btkBhbs.jpg

pBJWctH.jpg

The glass globe skulls are optional, but I like them for the extra vape viewing they provide. :nod:

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
Hey tunes....I have been a huge fan of hooking up my DT donuts to all my rigs with glass elbows and silicon tubing. Makes this great little atty even better. :o

You can use a 1/4" or 5/16" hose for the v2.5 or pyrex mouthpiece for the DT donuts. It hooks up nice and snug.

If you're shooting for even greater airflow, you can attach a 1/2" ID to a v2.7 wide-mouth mouthpiece, but these larger hoses tend to be less flexible and don't bend as easily. Holding your DT atomizer upside down or at a significant tilt is not a good solution for this, because you will just end up splashing oil even more.

If you want the bigger hits with the 1/2" (and it's worth it IMO) you may want to get some 18mm male / male bent angled adapters or some sort of glass elbow to make a sharp bend on top of your mouthpiece. You may want two of these to make a double glass-on-silicon elbow, this is the most high-performance method to connect your DT atomizer to an 18mm input rig. :tup:

btkBhbs.jpg

pBJWctH.jpg

The glass globe skulls are optional, but I like them for the extra vape viewing they provide. :nod:

I just started gettin' my feet wet with the eVic VTwo Mini and DT 2.5, better walk first :)

Vape Donkey 650

Lemon juice is your friend for removing smells. Here are direction for cleaning a new or used hookah hose: I'd skip adding any detergent as you've already done that

That was a good tip! I've noticed since I switched from PVC to silicon hose, that the silicon tends to absorb and emit alot more odor from the reclaim and condensation that inevitably accumulates with use. PVC and silicon hoses will accumulate reclaim oil at about the same rate with the same use, but it seems a fouled up PVC hose is much less smelly. :hmm:

I did a couple of good swish' n rinses on my two silicon hoses I've been using for flowers with my EQ and DDave mod, with mostly water, a "pinch" of baking soda, and just several drops of lemon juice, barely a teaspoon probably.

Swishing and rinsing made alot of kushy odors come out, and then I water-rinsed and blow-dried clean with an empty EQ bowl, the old stale flowery odors are gone! :clap: Actually just a slight lemony smell remains :D

Completely neutral odor would be better, but lemon is certainly more pleasant than old reclaim, and it's very slight, probably won't even be noticeable during use through the water tool.

This will have to be a new maintenance cycle, every few weeks or months, after a few dozen sessions or so :shrug: sigh... more vape maintenance :doh:

I just started gettin' my feet wet with the eVic VTwo Mini and DT 2.5, better walk first :)

That's good that you got it set up and you're on your way :tup: Once you've got the settings inputed, you learn how to load it up and use the correct puffing technique, you're in for alot of fun and benefit and medication! :science:

Then you use it a few more times and you're asking how do you clean this thing? :o :D

looney2nz

That was a good tip! I've noticed since I switched from PVC to silicon hose, that the silicon tends to absorb and emit alot more odor from the reclaim and condensation that inevitably accumulates with use. PVC and silicon hoses will accumulate reclaim oil at about the same rate with the same use, but it seems a fouled up PVC hose is much less smelly. :hmm:

I did a couple of good swish' n rinses on my two silicon hoses I've been using for flowers with my EQ and DDave mod, with mostly water, a "pinch" of baking soda, and just several drops of lemon juice, barely a teaspoon probably.

Swishing and rinsing made alot of kushy odors come out, and then I water-rinsed and blow-dried clean with an empty EQ bowl, the old stale flowery odors are gone! :clap: Actually just a slight lemony smell remains :D

Completely neutral odor would be better, but lemon is certainly more pleasant than old reclaim, and it's very slight, probably won't even be noticeable during use through the water tool.

This will have to be a new maintenance cycle, every few weeks or months, after a few dozen sessions or so :shrug: sigh... more vape maintenance :doh:

That's good that you got it set up and you're on your way :tup: Once you've got the settings inputed, you learn how to load it up and use the correct puffing technique, you're in for alot of fun and benefit and medication! :science:

Then you use it a few more times and you're asking how do you clean this thing? :o :D

<sigh> already been thinkin' of that! I can already tell just from the 'backsplatter' in the mouthpiece!
but I now have to determine if this unit is faulty :(

I've got the TCR value set to to 245. I was wondering if this condition happens because I'm not drawing on the unit (the manual doesn't say and doesn't discuss the error I get), but I checked in the mirror last night and regardless of me pulling in a lung full, it repeatedly goes into a 'protection' state. This is with the temp set to 430F.

I tried getting an answer from the vendor, but whoever I got on the phone didn't know and just said 'send in a ticket through your account login'.
I've been able to get a handful of good pulls off the thing, am I exceeding some value or is it just a funky unit? Anyone? Bueller?

It's good to know that there's a way to clean the tubing, although presently I surprisingly don't feel a burning need for it.

Vape Donkey 650

:D Ha, "protection" mode.... don't worry about that. It's really meaningless, totally normal.

The only thing it's "protecting" you from is really knowing how much the temperature can fluctuate during normal use. TC mods like these are not laboratory-grade precise, but they are still pretty damn accurate for a ~$40 dollar box that fits in your hand.

Most TC mods will have your coil temperatures fluctuate at least + / - 10F or 5C during normal use even under ideal circumstances. To "protect" you from knowing how much hotter over your target temperature your coil gets during the upward oscillations of these cycles, the screen flashes "protection"

It's no cause for concern. I've introduced dozens of people to vape devices of these types, but only a few have puzzled over "protection" mode :o :lol:

I don't expect you to check your donut surface temps with a thermocouple or nothing like that, but once you get a few sessions under your belt, observing before-and-after peeks at the donut, and vaping your sessions to completion (a visibly empty donut can be deceptively full of oil :suspicious:) you will get a feel for what settings you like best. And contrary to the dogmatic orthodoxy on the DT thread, it's perfectly fine to set the watts higher than 12w in TC modes, this will warm up the disc more quickly and help you vape the THCv you seek....

420F should do it, but like I said, it could take some fine-tuning. I'm wondering why you're seeking THCv specifically? :huh: In all my concentrates, that's a very fractional cannabinoid. Few products will even label for it, but some POP natural co2 oils I have in front of me (which are much better labeled than most products) say they only contain 0.23% THCv. This is a fairly typical level, from what I know. In the course of vaping up conventional oils on your donut, starting at a lower temp then raising it to finish up, you should vape up most or nearly all the THCv your oil has...unless you have some special THCv rich concentrate? :uhh: do tell.....

I hope people aren't being annoyed with this donut tangent on their precious whip / tubing thread. Looney, don't be afraid to dive into the DT atty's thread, you'll get many and quicker responses to your typical questions and avoid the pitfalls. :tup: Get the kinks worked out on the donuts so you can hook up your silicon hoses

(pun intended) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

looney2nz

:D Ha, "protection" mode.... don't worry about that. It's really meaningless, totally normal.

The only thing it's "protecting" you from is really knowing how much the temperature can fluctuate during normal use. TC mods like these are not laboratory-grade precise, but they are still pretty damn accurate for a ~$40 dollar box that fits in your hand.

Most TC mods will have your coil temperatures fluctuate at least + / - 10F or 5C during normal use even under ideal circumstances. To "protect" you from knowing how much hotter over your target temperature your coil gets during the upward oscillations of these cycles, the screen flashes "protection"

It's no cause for concern. I've introduced dozens of people to vape devices of these types, but only a few have puzzled over "protection" mode :o :lol:

I don't expect you to check your donut surface temps with a thermocouple or nothing like that, but once you get a few sessions under your belt, observing before-and-after peeks at the donut, and vaping your sessions to completion (a visibly empty donut can be deceptively full of oil :suspicious:) you will get a feel for what settings you like best. And contrary to the dogmatic orthodoxy on the DT thread, it's perfectly fine to set the watts higher than 12w in TC modes, this will warm up the disc more quickly and help you vape the THCv you seek....

420F should do it, but like I said, it could take some fine-tuning. I'm wondering why you're seeking THCv specifically? :huh: In all my concentrates, that's a very fractional cannabinoid. Few products will even label for it, but some POP natural co2 oils I have in front of me (which are much better labeled than most products) say they only contain 0.23% THCv. This is a fairly typical level, from what I know. In the course of vaping up conventional oils on your donut, starting at a lower temp then raising it to finish up, you should vape up most or nearly all the THCv your oil has...unless you have some special THCv rich concentrate? :uhh: do tell.....

I hope people aren't being annoyed with this donut tangent on their precious whip / tubing thread. Looney, don't be afraid to dive into the DT atty's thread, you'll get many and quicker responses to your typical questions and avoid the pitfalls. :tup: Get the kinks worked out on the donuts so you can hook up your silicon hoses

(pun intended) :rolleyes:

I'm a fan of PopNaturals stuff. The THCv is just a curiousity.

Even if I'm pulsing the fire button, it will hit a temp and then 'protection' (and it's not hitting the temp I've set it for). I just picked it up and hit the fire button, it hit 109F and then protection (it's set for 430F), it only displays the temp for 1 sec before displaying protection :( When I viewed it in the mirror, it appeared to strobe between temps and protection (cycling each second) on a long pull.

Let's see what VapeNW has to say. I opened a ticket with them.
I've been through the DT thread. That's how I arrived at the setup I've currently got.

Heard back from VapeNW, they issued an RMA, so it -was- faulty :(

Last edited:

looney2nz

sadly I'm STILL waiting on VapeNW to take care of a simple exchange, their RMA system needs a feedback loop, 'cause it's all handled in the 'over the fence' system :( (a customer support agent threw it over the fence, 'my job is done, I won't bother checking up on it and learning something'...) After getting nowhere with their phone assistance, their default was 'log in and create a ticket' :( Unless there is some daily review (which I doubt) there is no way to bridge from the online to the phone support folks so they can all answer questions equally well. This is a pet peeve of mine, as I've run some very large support organizations, and it irritates me no end when I see it being done poorly. Current ETA is tuesday, and that's with me bugging them, I opened the ticket with them on the 22nd (a day after I tried to use their phone support).

Vape Donkey 650

I'm sad to see you still tripping over the "protection" thing. :( It's really a completely normal, mundane thing on many TC vapes. Any TC mod you get from joyetech, eleaf, and many brands will do that during normal function on TC modes. Go search around other forums and sites about e-cigs and temp control mods if you don't believe me. :shrug:

With these kind of vapes, the temperature can ramp up pretty quickly, so once it has reached a temperature higher than you're calling for, it's kind of an embarrassment for the makers of these devices; the temps can hit higher than you want by a bit. So it says "protection" to protect them from showing how imprecise these things are. (they're still pretty precise IMO)

Another interpretation of "protection" : Since the vape has reached the temp target, it is "protecting" you from higher temps by reducing the wattage output to the atomizer. You can observe this by looking in the mirror or through the corner of your eye on the screen at the wattage output in real time.

Also, it seems that your wattage setting may be too high if it's reaching temp protection after one screen cycle. Are you at 75w? 12-25w is the best for the DT donut.

When you have the donut loaded up and the mod set to the proper settings and you take a nice draw, (ignoring what the screen says) and you get a nice, smooth, tasty, voluminous cloud, that should be the ultimate metric of whether your TC mod is working, not what the screen says. All that info on the screen is nice, but merely for confirmation. If all the info on the screen says the right stuff, during a hit in real-time, and my donut is loaded properly, but I don't get a proper vape cloud, then the info on the screen is meaningless.

I hope you can get over this and start enjoying your evic and DT donut, because it's a top-notch combo for concentrate vapes, IMO. Plus this is the thread for whips and tubing, and some other members might not appreciate the tangential issues too?

looney2nz

capish.

I look forward to trying anew when the new one arrives (they did say it was defective, I sent them a video of it in action, with the protection error).

Kosherbubba

Just letting everybody know that I succesfully attached whip tubing to my arizer air glass stem. It makes a huge difference in the draws I get.

Leolo

@vapeDonkey Can you smoke weed with that or is t just for concentrates?

I came to this thread for advice on length of the whip.. What length gives the best experience? obviously cooler with a longer whip, but will it get impractical, or bad for smaller hits eg. microdosing.. only used pax3 and ballon so no actual whip experience.. Plan to use it with a tubo evic if that makes a difference..

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!

Thanks for all your help @vapedonkey650 , here is something that's working well for me on my
silicon hoses.
Use the same swish method & just use White Vinegar, comes out soft m supple & smelling CLEAN, lol.

tennisguru1,

Vape Donkey 650

@vapeDonkey Can you smoke weed with that or is t just for concentrates?

I came to this thread for advice on length of the whip.. What length gives the best experience? obviously cooler with a longer whip, but will it get impractical, or bad for smaller hits eg. microdosing.. only used pax3 and ballon so no actual whip experience.. Plan to use it with a tubo evic if that makes a difference..

Hi, you could probably use silicon / glass adapters to smoke weed with too, but that would probably suck pretty bad, make the hoses smell really bad. It's better to vape with silicon tubing, flowers or concentrates, no problem (terminology burn :evil:)

Some of those unnecessarily complex contraptions I showed earlier in this thread I had set up for connecting my DT donuts for concentrates to my dab rigs, but that type of stuff can easily be adapted to many flower vapes as well.

This is a simple adapter I set up for my tubo evic with a couple of angled glass adapters and a short section of the same type of thick 1/2" silicon tube

Ktrde8d.jpg

With the tubo evic, you actually don't really need a silicon tube to connect it to most dab rigs, because you can invert the tubo evic upside down and insert it directly into a 14 or 18mm slot with a glass adapter. There's nothing inherently wrong with using the tubo evic upside down, unlike any load-as-you-go donut atomizer for concentrates, which would splash, dribble and waste oil if you inverted it to connect it to a water tool.

The reason I set up this adapter for the tubo evic and this rig is because this glass is relatively small and light, and the tubo feels kind of heavy and could tip the whole rig over with it's offset input joint if I left it connected directly to the glass. Other rigs like a D-020, with a centered 18mm input, you can put a tubo right on top of it and it's balanced and secure and won't tip over. I could also just connect the tubo directly to 14mm input on this little recycler rig and not try to leave it in the 14mm joint while I'm not using it, so it won't tip over, but I like my adapters too, they make for good casual use.

I see you're looking at buying a tubo evic, that's a great choice for a versatile, high performing flower vape. You can use it just with a simple whip, no water, also, but I like my glass. To your original question, how long the tube should be? That's up to you. I want to keep it not any longer than it needs to be for hooking up to glass. A relatively short tube is ok for sipping from, not like several feet long.

Thanks for all your help @vapedonkey650 , here is something that's working well for me on my
silicon hoses.
Use the same swish method & just use White Vinegar, comes out soft m supple & smelling CLEAN, lol.

Hey nice to know some of this stuff is useful to you. I think many vapers look down upon using tubing, but I think it's great to add versatility and flexibility (literally) to your setups and open up more possibilities. If straight glass on glass is not feasible, do SonG!

Thanks for the tip on the vinegar. That tube for my tubo evic gets a little funky with all the regular use I give it, it's due for a cleaning, I may try that. When you clean with vinegar, it doesn't make the hose get too soft or cracked on the inside?

Silicon tube used with vaping flowers can absorb some flavor and emit some odors pretty quickly with repeated use, but at least we know how to clean it. Compared to some other tube materials like pvc which don't get nearly as smelly, despite the other issues with PVC.

The silicon when used with concentrates, it seems to not get smelly at all. I've had some of those 1/2" tubes going for over 2 years now and only washed them like once...I see little need for it. It does get colored with resin, though.

pDCvybx.jpg

My current setup for the DTV3, more streamlined with a glass adapter that goes straight to the atomizer base, no more need to connect it with a strip of 1/2" tubing

Last edited:

Leolo

Thanks VD for your thorough reply.. yep your right, my smoking will soon come to an end, as the tubo will arrive at my doorstep any day now.. and I guess that I at some point will also get used to use the term vape instead of smoke. I will buy some silicon tube by the meter and try different lengths, and also experiment with putting the tube in the freezer prior to vaping. If freezing the tube doesn’t do the trick I might also invest in a bubbler.. being able to use the tubo upside down is pretty neat! :)

johnwillyums

johnwillyums UK
Can anyone tell me if silicone tubing comes in standard sizes?
I just got a Sticky Bricks Hydromaxx, and it has that slightly tacky silicone whip.
Any ideas how to clean this, it doesn't look like ISO would do it any good, somehow.
I did some research, and there are people suggesting all sorts, pulling a metal screw through the pipe with fishing line, to drag the residue through, others suggest boiling the tube in water to soften residue, and then squeezing it out of the end.
Pretty unpleasant, but doable, Which is best.

Also, I bought the 18mm Grizzly Water piece to go with my Hydromaxx. Haven't tried it yet, but I gather the water piece will sit on the Hydromaxx. Provided with the kit is a fairly short silcone whip, with a male joint at one end, and a female at the other.
The water piece has a male joint at the top, so I intended to use the female on that, and a mouthpiece at the other.
So it can sit on my desk, and I can lean back in my chair enjoying it. So I looked around, and have just ordered the Magic Flight Dart Flight mouthpiece.
Then I realise it might not fit my tube. It looks like it will. Does anybody know. Tubing about 10mm across.

Thanks folks, John W

johnwillyums

johnwillyums UK
I suggest buying more tubing in a bulk length, and cutting off a new piece every few months or when needed. I have not found a truly good working cleaning method in the 10yrs i have attempted to find one.

Thanks, I was thinking that might be the case. I'm in the UK, so we have Namaste, and a few European, and homegrown, online "head" shops.
Do you think they would sell it in lengths? Or perhaps some kind of DIY warehouse chain?

Also, I take it that means it's a standard width, so it's quite likely my wooden dart mouthpiece will fit :-)

Thanks for your input, John W

Ah, found some on Namaste, 7.95 GBP for 40". Hmmn, that's quite a lot.

I might try DIY superstores, they might have it. :-)

This is more like it. I searched for medical grade silicone tubing, and found this supplier in UK.

http://www.altectubing.co.uk/home.asp?cat=category1201&rf=ggl&kw=Silicon+Pipes

I can get 15 metres of 10mm bore tubing, food grade, medical grade, for 5.99 GBP, quite a difference.

I think this will do the trick, any input appreciated.

Cheers, John W.

Last edited by a moderator:

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
Can anyone tell me if silicone tubing comes in standard sizes?
I just got a Sticky Bricks Hydromaxx, and it has that slightly tacky silicone whip.
Any ideas how to clean this, it doesn't look like ISO would do it any good, somehow.
I did some research, and there are people suggesting all sorts, pulling a metal screw through the pipe with fishing line, to drag the residue through, others suggest boiling the tube in water to soften residue, and then squeezing it out of the end.
Pretty unpleasant, but doable, Which is best.

Also, I bought the 18mm Grizzly Water piece to go with my Hydromaxx. Haven't tried it yet, but I gather the water piece will sit on the Hydromaxx. Provided with the kit is a fairly short silcone whip, with a male joint at one end, and a female at the other.
The water piece has a male joint at the top, so I intended to use the female on that, and a mouthpiece at the other.
So it can sit on my desk, and I can lean back in my chair enjoying it. So I looked around, and have just ordered the Magic Flight Dart Flight mouthpiece.
Then I realise it might not fit my tube. It looks like it will. Does anybody know. Tubing about 10mm across.

Thanks folks, John W

I've had good results just swish rinsing silicon tubing with white vinegar.
Try it and tell me whay you think?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
This is more like it. I searched for medical grade silicone tubing, and found this supplier in UK.

http://www.altectubing.co.uk/home.asp?cat=category1201&rf=ggl&kw=Silicon+Pipes

I can get 15 metres of 10mm bore tubing, food grade, medical grade, for 5.99 GBP, quite a difference.

I think this will do the trick, any input appreciated.

Cheers, John W.
You might look for something with a temperature rating higher than your vapes'. The one in your link says 220C, and I think you might find higher ratings available, still medical grade, of course.
Good luck, you're on the right track! With the right buy, cleaning is unnecessary, just replace as needed.

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
Hiya, I have a D020 bubbler. Is there an adaptor that can attach a whip to the mouthpiece of the D020?
I've seen someone use a Kleenex tissue to create a seal (Arizer Air II) but I thought there might be a more elegant solution.
Thanks

EDIT: I know that the dhgate FC-UFO is what I really need, I'm just trying to avoid buying another bubbler.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hiya, I have a D020 bubbler. Is there an adaptor that can attach a whip to the mouthpiece of the D020?
I've seen someone use a Kleenex tissue to create a seal but I thought there might be a more elegant solution.
Thanks

EDIT: I know that the dhgate FC-UFO is what I really need, I'm just trying to avoid buying another bubbler.
You might ask @Ratchett if he has something in his silicone adapters collection that would work. (delta3dstudios.com)
I got a hebalizer 18mm water adapter (it was a "B stock" freebie!) from him that fit on the top of a Hydrotube, I snipped a little off the top, which enlarged the outlet hole, and a whip tube then fit inside.

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
You might ask @Ratchett if he has something in his silicone adapters collection that would work. (delta3dstudios.com)
I got a hebalizer 18mm water adapter (it was a "B stock" freebie!) from him that fit on the top of a Hydrotube, I snipped a little off the top, which enlarged the outlet hole, and a whip tube then fit inside.
Oops, sorry, yes, thank you @vapviking :)

chlorophyll_man,
Not sure if it was mentioned, but did anyone here ever try some kind of metal hose? Or to be more specific SS316(L) hose? Like this: http://www.shantiflex.com/convoflex-stainless-steel-hose.html

I would guess that no one tried that yet, since these things are not exactly what you would call widely available.. .:uhoh:
Don't even know if they would be any good because the bend radius is obviously not as good as silicone or ptfe etc. But they could make for a pretty long-lasting, easy to clean, chemical-free alternative. If you dont like the look, you could put a sleeve on it maybe? Like most hookahs have? :hmm:
If I overlooked something and none of this makes sense, just disregard this post. :D

dampo

I was wondering if someone could help me out here, I have a Volcano which I'd like to connect to The Honey glass bubbler.
The metal piece of the filling chamber is 12 mm outside.
I have been trying to find a medical grade and high-temperature tube of silicone, but no one is advertising the diameter.
The stores I contacted can't be bothered opening packages and measuring the diameters.
I looked at this AroMed silicone hose, which on the picture is looking fairly wide, but on this forum I found out it is only 6.35 mm
that particular post is from 2014, anyone to confirm these measurements are still valid as of now?
Another contender might be the Magic-Flight draw whip, it's cheap enough to try out, but again I haven't got a clue about the diameter
I'm located in Europe.
I wonder if you guys have any suggestions?

Top Bottom