Volcano Hybrid

neogitus

I got a Hybrid back in November so while I'm here I figure I should write a quick review. All together I am not impressed at all considering how much it costs and how long the company itself took to come up with almost no new good designs. There's definitely some good qualities from it but for me the things that I don't like outweigh the ones that I do.

I'll start with what I don't like because there's much more of that. For a bit of context I was using a sublimator in the past but both of mine broke so I was desperate for something that hit hard so I bought this thing on a whim because the local store could get it to me that same day and I had been reduced to smoking a ton of joints just to get high for the time being.

I really don't like the filling chamber. There's no reason it should be plastic and it's already had to be redesigned once due to health concerns. Also due to the shape it makes it really easy to get AVB dust to stick all over it while brushing off the screens making it really easy to get the volcano itself dirty.

On the instructions they say you aren't supposed to leave the filling chamber on the volcano but they are not really clear about if they mean just keeping it on constantly or even to take it off between bags. I personally find that if I take it off between bags I don't get quite the benefit from the conduction as if I left it on. I don't really trust the plastic though.

I found out that S&B was bought by Canopy Growth which is a company I hate. Would explain why they're going downhill.

The app IMO has not much value at all. I used it once and never bothered again.

It is insanely loud. I live alone but I can only imagine people's spouses getting pissed at them trying to rip a bag before bed at night :p Constantly smoking have to put the tv much louder just to be able to hear.

Smoking more than one bowl hits are relatively dry. I have tried smoking the whip through a bong and bags through a bong a various temps and still cough like crazy compared to other vapourizers I have used. I thought about getting one of those bubblers for em but prob wont since I still coughed like crazy through a bong.

The screens are a special size so you have to buy them direct or from a reseller. The bags are also expensive and have to be replaced often enough. I've gone through 6 since nov.

The hot ceramic coated bowl comes out easily when trying to dump avb into a container. If it landed on certain plastic at that temp it could melt or leave a nasty mark on the floor. I have my AVB in a solo cup so bad news for me if I drop it on the wrong spot .

The seals of the screens I find aren't tight enough and leave room for tiny solid particles from the bowl to sometimes get through and cause throat irritation.

The whip seems very low quality and also plastic on or near hot part which I don't like. Everything it seems is meant to break down as soon as possible so more can be bought.

I wouldn't be nearly as disappointed if this thing cost a couple hundred dollars less but considering it's as expensive as it is I would have expected more from it, especially after years of no updates.

The few things I like

I like that there's conduction added. I do notice a difference compared to the older versions that a few friends have/had. No need to mix the bowl in between bags to get the weed toasty and brown. Now they need to figure out a way to get a bowl with vacuum pressure inside while the pump is running to get tastier lower temp thicker hits (no idea if this is possible but wishful thinking lol).

The bags fill fast which is nice when you smoke multiple bowls per session.

Can share with people if you want to and if you have multiple bags going at once it can get a lot of people high really quick which is sometimes fun.

I've been using it at 185c (365f) lately. The higher temperatures do the trick better but I cough like crazy if I turn it up much more above 185 and can't even finish more than a few bags. Where's everyone else's temperature's at? I tried to google some info but it was only older articles about the digi or classic. I get around 4 bags for a pretty well loaded bowl but if anyone has any tips that will make my experience better I'm all ears. I could prob get a few more at higher temps but they tend to have that burnt popcorn taste.

I often find myself wanting to smoke another few bags but my throat being too raw to continue unless I want to cough non stop like I am dying.

Kins

I got a Hybrid back in November so while I'm here I figure I should write a quick review. All together I am not impressed at all considering how much it costs and how long the company itself took to come up with almost no new good designs. There's definitely some good qualities from it but for me the things that I don't like outweigh the ones that I do.

I'll start with what I don't like because there's much more of that. For a bit of context I was using a sublimator in the past but both of mine broke so I was desperate for something that hit hard so I bought this thing on a whim because the local store could get it to me that same day and I had been reduced to smoking a ton of joints just to get high for the time being.

I really don't like the filling chamber. There's no reason it should be plastic and it's already had to be redesigned once due to health concerns. Also due to the shape it makes it really easy to get AVB dust to stick all over it while brushing off the screens making it really easy to get the volcano itself dirty.

On the instructions they say you aren't supposed to leave the filling chamber on the volcano but they are not really clear about if they mean just keeping it on constantly or even to take it off between bags. I personally find that if I take it off between bags I don't get quite the benefit from the conduction as if I left it on. I don't really trust the plastic though.

I found out that S&B was bought by Canopy Growth which is a company I hate. Would explain why they're going downhill.

It is insanely loud. I live alone but I can only imagine people's spouses getting pissed at them trying to rip a bag before bed at night :p Constantly smoking have to put the tv much louder just to be able to hear.

Smoking more than one bowl hits are relatively dry. I have tried smoking the whip through a bong and bags through a bong a various temps and still cough like crazy compared to other vapourizers I have used. I thought about getting one of those bubblers for em but prob wont since I still coughed like crazy through a bong.

The screens are a special size so you have to buy them direct or from a reseller. The bags are also expensive and have to be replaced often enough. I've gone through 6 since nov.

The hot ceramic coated bowl comes out easily when trying to dump avb into a container. If it landed on certain plastic at that temp it could melt or leave a nasty mark on the floor. I have my AVB in a solo cup so bad news for me if I drop it on the wrong spot .

The seals of the screens I find aren't tight enough and leave room for tiny solid particles from the bowl to sometimes get through and cause throat irritation.

The whip seems very low quality and also plastic on or near hot part which I don't like. Everything it seems is meant to break down as soon as possible so more can be bought.

I wouldn't be nearly as disappointed if this thing cost a couple hundred dollars less but considering it's as expensive as it is I would have expected more from it, especially after years of no updates.

The few things I like

I like that there's conduction added. I do notice a difference compared to the older versions that a few friends have/had. No need to mix the bowl in between bags to get the weed toasty and brown. Now they need to figure out a way to get a bowl with vacuum pressure inside while the pump is running to get tastier lower temp thicker hits (no idea if this is possible but wishful thinking lol).

Can share with people if you want to and if you have multiple bags going at once it can get a lot of people high really quick which is sometimes fun.

I've been using it at 185c (365f) lately. The higher temperatures do the trick better but I cough like crazy if I turn it up much more above 185 and can't even finish more than a few bags. Where's everyone else's temperature's at? I tried to google some info but it was only older articles about the digi or classic. I get around 4 bags for a pretty well loaded bowl but if anyone has any tips that will make my experience better I'm all ears. I could prob get a few more at higher temps but they tend to have that burnt popcorn taste.

I often find myself wanting to smoke another few bags but my throat being too raw to continue unless I want to cough non stop like I am dying.

Get the Magma or Obsidian. I have the Obsidian and it makes a HUGE difference in smoothness of the vapor. For tips, never leave the housing on the volcano. I take mine off and let it sit to cool down before taking the black top part off and emptying the bowl. A lot of times I also remove the bowl from the housing and either wipe it down with 90+ Iso or put in a jar with iso and let it sit overnight. I haven't seen another vape that can heat as evenly as the Volcano Hybrid without stirring or even with stirring. With the VH there is no need, you always get evenly cooked AVB. You say the bowl comes out of the housing. Make sure when you install the bowl the notches or flat flat parts are lined up correctly so the bowl SNAPS when you put it in.

neogitus

Get the Magma or Obsidian. I have the Obsidian and it makes a HUGE difference in smoothness of the vapor. For tips, never leave the housing on the volcano. I take mine off and let it sit to cool down before taking the black top part off and emptying the bowl. A lot of times I also remove the bowl from the housing and either wipe it down with 90+ Iso or put in a jar with iso and let it sit overnight. I haven't seen another vape that can heat as evenly as the Volcano Hybrid without stirring or even with stirring. With the VH there is no need, you always get evenly cooked AVB. You say the bowl comes out of the housing. Make sure when you install the bowl the notches or flat flat parts are lined up correctly so the bowl SNAPS when you put it in.
The chamber itself wont even close unless the bowl is in properly. It seems like a lot of maintenance and upkeep with the iso and cleaning in between bowls. I liked my sublimator a lot better than this thing. It seems like the constant heating and cooling expanded the plastic a bit now the bowl doesn't sit tight anymore. I read a few posts above that someone else was dealing with the same problem. I've only had this thing since November.

I looked into the obsidian awhile ago. It looks cool but I've already spent way too much on my volcano (to be mostly disappointed) and getting it across the border plus exchange rate would make it even more costly. I also don't understand how attaching the volcano whip or bag through a bong still makes me cough like crazy but this thing makes it not as harsh. I have a 10mm old school male attachment bong (that those old school tiny nail dab rigs used to come with) where the volcano bag almost fits perfectly onto it and even that to me is still super harsh. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
The chamber itself wont even close unless the bowl is in properly. It seems like a lot of maintenance and upkeep with the iso and cleaning in between bowls. I liked my sublimator a lot better than this thing. It seems like the constant heating and cooling expanded the plastic a bit now the bowl doesn't sit tight anymore. I read a few posts above that someone else was dealing with the same problem. I've only had this thing since November.

I looked into the obsidian awhile ago. It looks cool but I've already spent way too much on my volcano (to be mostly disappointed) and getting it across the border plus exchange rate would make it even more costly. I also don't understand how attaching the volcano whip or bag through a bong still makes me cough like crazy but this thing makes it not as harsh. I have a 10mm old school male attachment bong (that those old school tiny nail dab rigs used to come with) where the volcano bag almost fits perfectly onto it and even that to me is still super harsh. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.
The difference is the humidity! Going bag to bong (B2B) gets you slightly above ambient (~50% relative humidity, depending on your vaping environment), whereas our bubblers are as close to the heat source as possible and give you 100% humidity almost immediately. It really does make a huge difference on lung irritation and throat harshness. I’m the inventor, so feel free to DM me any questions you have if you don’t want to post in the thread! Cheers!

-Ryan

blackstone

I've been using it at 185c (365f) lately. The higher temperatures do the trick better but I cough like crazy if I turn it up much more above 185 and can't even finish more than a few bags. Where's everyone else's temperature's at? I tried to google some info but it was only older articles about the digi or classic. I get around 4 bags for a pretty well loaded bowl but if anyone has any tips that will make my experience better I'm all ears.

Maybe try not filling the bowl all the way.
I've been having a really great time with my Hybrid since day one, except maybe for a few times getting my fingers burnt picking the bowl up wrong while watching TV!
It's my all time favorite desktop so far and my daily driver vape ATM.
This may or may not work for you, but I settled on putting my temperature up full, and heat soaking small loads for 1m 30sec in the large bowl with no pad or anything. (And sometimes not heat soaking just blowing a normal bag.)
Loads from 0.07 to 0.1 probably wont fill a whole bag and will be beyond spent by then so pull the bag off half way or 3/4 full for the nicest vapor. You can also use a flashlight when you pull the bag off to judge.
A load of 0.2 will fill a bag really good!
I think this way has it all, huge effects, density, flavor, extraction, smoothness, maybe this will make you cough but it rarely does to me when I tune in my amounts used, if you're coughing use less.
I wouldn't even try doing 0.3 like this for fun last night, it would be really crazy and maybe hard not to cough.
Sounds like you have one part of the magic formula up a bit high, with the amount of material used.
The only time I need water to reduce coughing is with extreme bags of reclaim vapor, maybe I'm more tolerant though.
I use some techniques at times, don't talk or sing when vaping!

I actually do it mostly with whip, previously using capsules in the reducer bowl and through water, then went to dry mouthpieces and occasionally with bags, but I got lots more bag experience lately after a tooth extraction healing and this was the only vape I could use having bags through a straw with no draw resistance!

As for the bowl design, I can maybe see why some people might want something different but it's working well for me. I might complain if I could think of a way of doing it better myself, but I can't!
I'm about 9 months in and still dropping my two bowls on the floor now and then with no problems so far thankfully, I broke one of the older easy valve bowls on my last Digit Volcano from dropping them like this before.
I always fill quite carefully with a piece of folded card and if I get debris on a mating surface I'll try and remove and not smash it together if possible.

jivebuggered

The few things I like

I usually preheat to 225C for 5 mins and after the two bags are finished I take of the filling chamber, turn off the heat and slightly seperate the orange and black I also never tighten to tightly when put on. I agree with every one else regarding the cheap plastic with the bowl and really hope they can replace it with a better quality one. I don't have usually more then one load with the reducer well packed and usually get two small turkey oven bags full which equates to more then 6 "tokes" but that's all I try to stick to otherwise the tolerance just goes up and up.
Regarding cooling, tried the water cooling yes it was cooler and smoother but in my opinion potency and flavor were down which led me to useing cooling stems. .Basically they break up the vapor with bigger volume and twists and bends. I also use a J hook attached for extra cooling both from DDave Mods. Like all glass you have to be careful and keep clean but these combos really work for me, there is no humidity but the vapor is much cooler without bubblers etc etc. I can use it with Mighty, Solo,Volcano H, E Nano, Grasshopper and most vapes some needing common attachments Still find the bags on Volcano H to be the most potent I have ever used and I have had over 14 or so (nothing compared to some members lol) I prefer a mix of conduction and convection rather then hard convection due to a helth problem.

Robobuddah

Hello
Have an apple iPhone 8.
Will not download S&B app.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Robobuddah,

justcametomind

Hello
Have an apple iPhone 8.
Will not download S&B app.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
As far as I can remember to use the web app on Apple devices you’re supposed to download an app which enables Bluetooth for web apps.

justcametomind,

delicatebunting

I put the drip pad on top of my bowls and that keeps the top screen clean.

Did the old Volcano models not use "disposable-grade" plastic parts? On the surface it doesn't seem so bad paying $12 for a wear and tear set or replacement filler chamber housing.

But having spent $50 on replacement parts in my first year, it does seem a little nickel-and-dime-ish.

I've been using it at 185c (365f) lately. The higher temperatures do the trick better but I cough like crazy if I turn it up much more above 185 and can't even finish more than a few bags. Where's everyone else's temperature's at?

I start at 170-175°C for 1-2 bags, then do most of my session at 180-185°C. I'll do a final 1-2 bags at 200°C to squeeze the last bits out.

delicatebunting,

Kins

My biggest issue is the plastic chamber holder. I wish someone would come up with an aftermarket design that would actually hold the piping hot bowl in place when its dumped. The clips break when you breath in them.

The bags are way too dry for me so I'm 99% whip through bubbler and I love it for that.

You should wait till the chamber is cooler than before dumping the avb. Or try what I do. I use a stir tool and a brush and turn the chamber upside down above a container, first I use the stir tool and to get the rest I use a brush. I still wait at least 5 minutes after removing the chamber before I attempt to touch any area other than the plastic...

Grampyhash

You should wait till the chamber is cooler than before dumping the avb. Or try what I do. I use a stir tool and a brush and turn the chamber upside down above a container, first I use the stir tool and to get the rest I use a brush. I still wait at least 5 minutes after removing the chamber before I attempt to touch any area other than the plastic...
Oh yeah I do something similar. I use two s&b brushes and handle it like a hot dumpling between 2 chopsticks. But I’m too impatient to wait. I wish the retaining clips weren’t so fragile so I wouldn’t need to though.

I have had my Hybrid over a year. The display was starting to fai just after I got itl, and pretty much did over the months. I still didn't want to give this up sending it in for warrantee repair. I bought an Arizer EQ to hold me over, and found it to be a cheap toy compared to the Hybrid. Sent in the Hybrid to S&B 2 weeks ago, and today a NEW unit, with all the accessories showed up.

I have not found anything near as good for knocking the terps off in a very controlled manner. Now we have warrantee service that can't be beat.

You guys bitch all you want, I am a happy customer. Creme City Vapes is the best shop too.

The hot chamber stays in the orange lower part, so you never have to handle the hot chamber. Leave the chamber on the base too long, and the orange thing will come apart.

Kins

I have had my Hybrid over a year. The display was starting to fai just after I got itl, and pretty much did over the months. I still didn't want to give this up sending it in for warrantee repair. I bought an Arizer EQ to hold me over, and found it to be a cheap toy compared to the Hybrid. Sent in the Hybrid to S&B 2 weeks ago, and today a NEW unit, with all the accessories showed up.

I have not found anything near as good for knocking the terps off in a very controlled manner. Now we have warrantee service that can't be beat.

You guys bitch all you want, I am a happy customer. Creme City Vapes is the best shop too.

The hot chamber stays in the orange lower part, so you never have to handle the hot chamber. Leave the chamber on the base too long, and the orange thing will come apart.

Yeah they are awesome with the customer service. I think I've had mine for around the same time as you, maybe 1.5 years.

leeroy08

Does anyone know how long it takes Storz and Bickel to ship your order out. Normally I order from vapefiend in the uk but they are out of stock at the minute. I don't whether to order directly from Store and Bickel or wait until vape fiend are back in stock which will be within 2 weeks depending on customs checks.

leeroy08,

blackstone

i hope they add and off/on switch to their next design. I dont like leaving electronics plugged in draining power for a display that's not being used 99 percent of the time. Actually if they added a clock I might like the display better, but still prefer to be able to turn off the machine with out unplugging it
I plug mine out where I put it at night but a switch would be nice. You could DIY one when the warranty is up but I've just had a search around for IEC C7/8 figure 8 lead with switch and came up with a few interesting ones!
Amazon: Figure of 8 Power Switch- Suitable for PS3 Slim or any C8 Fig 8 Socket
31Nho1VVOQL.__AC_QL70_ML2_.jpg

or,

Amazon.com
"8" Figure C7 Power Cable with Switch IEC 320 C8 to C7 Extension Cord with On/Off C7 Power Lead Cables Switch Short Wires
31E1d9LnTfL._SX342_.jpg

There was another decent looking one but I doubt it would fit the rear of the Volcano with the shapes,
You might even have trouble with the first one I posted here?
I couldn't find a rating for either of these products at first glance but similar listings show ones that are good for 2.5 amps at 250 volts, or 625 watts, and the Hybrid is 270 watts. So maybe check the rating first and it should be fine.
You could also buy a double pole inline cord switch up to around 6 amp rating quite cheaply, like what you see on bedside lighting, and fit it to a cord or have it fitted by somebody up to the job.
Just some ideas!
Does anyone know how long it takes Storz and Bickel to ship your order out. Normally I order from vapefiend in the uk but they are out of stock at the minute. I don't whether to order directly from Store and Bickel or wait until vape fiend are back in stock which will be within 2 weeks depending on customs checks.
I think next day or maybe two unless they are under very abnormal conditions? I know everything should be discounted 20% off for 4/20 on the S&B site as usual, but I can't say if they'll have enough of everything at that point! Just thought I would mention it if you didn't mind waiting or risking low stock/sold out which is probably unlikely IMO.
Dispatch times might get slightly extended at the 4/20 sale weekend IIRC.
Anybody have a techniche to extract a whole chamber into 1 bag fully?
Use a 10 foot bag?! ☺ or maybe a 4 or 5 foot bag?
Seriously though, the fastest extraction might be got by turning temperature up full and heatsoaking the load for 90 seconds as I learned once from Baron 23 on here!
I'm finding maybe about a third of a bowl would fill a regular bag that way, while with loads under 0.1 the vapor stops producing about half or two thirds of the way through the bag filling.
I put 0.5 into one bag like this the other day with the great internet presenter Monk in mind (he knows a thing or two about large amounts at high temps in the Hybrid it seems!), and that worked out very well for me! So what's a full bowl, 1g?
4 foot bag and presoak first at full temperature for 90 seconds?

wizzbang

Whoever that was in here that said to put the lids of the capsules over the herb in the reducers is a true champ, I've been doing that ever since reading and it works perfectly for extraction and keeps the herb in place. Also the plastic chambers are still pieces of shit lol at the post above saying the clips lock it in place. Yea for like 2 weeks they do :rofl:.

wizzbang,

Green Kiwi

Whoever that was in here that said to put the lids of the capsules over the herb in the reducers is a true champ, I've been doing that ever since reading and it works perfectly for extraction and keeps the herb in place. Also the plastic chambers are still pieces of shit lol at the post above saying the clips lock it in place. Yea for like 2 weeks they do :rofl:.
That was @invertedisdead , yes me love this way of using too!! 🤛 :science:.
Again, thank you @invertedisdead ,you really have helped to improve my joy ,with vaping S&B devices.
Now ,I would like to scream and yell from the roof, to tell everyone, after 14 years lusting on it, I finally have enough funds in the bank, to be able to order a Volcano (Hybrid.on my mind since released....:freak::bowdown::rockon::leaf:.)
Can't wait for it arriving, very very exited, now I'm sooo exited I mighty(pun intended ...)can't sleep for next few days, waiting for the arrival.

thank fuck I also ordered ,6 spare chambers... hope this will last me say a month or tw0 ...lol.
it was a hard decision, to get either the good old trusted S&B, or go with the new kid on the block;The Taffee Bowle.
but since so many of you have reported problems with the last one , I think I should wait for a year or two, before spending serious money on that(very promising and sounds exiting)device.

Aroha all.:wave::leaf:.

leeroy08

Ooooooh the drama lol. Ok, i've finally managed to get through 101 pages of this fucking thread and I still can't make my mind up. Before I read all of this I was definitely gonna get a Hybrid, now I don't know. With all the drama of chambers breaking and problems with delays in customer service im thinking of going with the Classic and getting a crafty+ with the extra change.

Ive owned a Volcano Digit in the past and loved it. In fact, its the only vape I regret selling. I would love to hear your opinion on what you think I should do. Im a no nonsense vapour lover who couldn't care less about flavour and only cares about effect. I hate Apps and all that Bluetooth bollocks so I won't be using that. What I didn't like about the Volcano Digit was the size of the herb chamber but I think they have sorted it now with the reducer.

For those of you who have tried the classic and the hybrid which is best for vapour quality and effect? Or is their no difference? im also not to bothered about whips either. Many thanks in advance for your time guys.

Grampyhash

Ooooooh the drama lol. Ok, i've finally managed to get through 101 pages of this fucking thread and I still can't make my mind up. Before I read all of this I was definitely gonna get a Hybrid, now I don't know. With all the drama of chambers breaking and problems with delays in customer service im thinking of going with the Classic and getting a crafty+ with the extra change.

Ive owned a Volcano Digit in the past and loved it. In fact, its the only vape I regret selling. I would love to hear your opinion on what you think I should do. Im a no nonsense vapour lover who couldn't care less about flavour and only cares about effect. I hate Apps and all that Bluetooth bollocks so I won't be using that. What I didn't like about the Volcano Digit was the size of the herb chamber but I think they have sorted it now with the reducer.

For those of you who have tried the classic and the hybrid which is best for vapour quality and effect? Or is their no difference? im also not to bothered about whips either. Many thanks in advance for your time guys.
I haven't tried the classic, but for all my gripes about the chamber holder, the hybrid is a gorgeous beast that you will never regret owning. For me the whip option was huge and that's how I use it 99% of the time ( through my bubbler) The vapour can be drier than other vapes for some reason so you may or may not want to go through water one way or another.

S&B sent me 2 chambers when I complained about the broken clips...and they were quick about it. My Mighty button broke after 1 yr or HARD use, and they are sending a repair or replacement on Tuesday. Quick turnaround. My experience is their customer service is top notch so buy with confidence.

Top Bottom