Multi-brand Vivant Alternate

Gimpy27

First you need to cut the locking tabs on the outer ring, just eye it against the stock cap. I used nail clippers (works great) and sanded them smooth with the dremel afterwards. Then you gotta sand down the inner ring, in my experience right down to the inner screen ring (indent) I did this with a course sanding drum attachment on with the dermel. Took about 10 minutes to do. I had a lighted magnifying glass to inspect as I leveled it off. User Dtaxx has some good pix up http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vivant-alternate.23668/page-39 and http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vivant-alternate.23668/page-40

Awesome! That sounds easy enough. I couldn't tell if it was sanded inside the inner O lip or if it was sanded flat where the screen fits. I'll dig out my dremel tonight and some files/sandpaper. I went ahead and purchased a few LG hg2 batteries too just to be on the safe side. I don't plan to use this all the time to begin with but I think it will satisfy my need for a mobile vape until the new storz and bickle products come out.

What's a good cheap way to charge the batteries outside of the vape? I was checking out Amazon for a cheap charger but everything had bad reviews or said it takes 4-5 hours to charge 1 cell.

Also, I bought some arizer bucket screens for the bowl part of the vape like on page 2 but I can't really tell what I need to do to them. Do I pull the stock screen out of the unit or do I lay it over the original and fill it with herb instead of putting on the original screen?

subway13029

With the crafty cu it is a good vape. Also gotta have the update or it's worthless..lol...but it's very solid vape but the cracking from heat which my battery gets hotter than hell but once again it's not as bad with the cu from crafty..so I dunno what it is..

StoneyCody

So just got my Vivant Alternate and my top cap recently broke about 3 days ago and I haven't even had my Vivant for a week yet. ( first vape )

My battery seems to die faster then most peoples seem to be but Idk, i can do about one 3 min session and go from 100% to 70% idk why it does that but I can only vape 3 bowls maybe 2 and that's it for that battery.

The crafty CU looks nice, haven't got to into it but so far I see people say it's quite better then the Vivant top cap?

HengefulOne

So just got my Vivant Alternate and my top cap recently broke about 3 days ago and I haven't even had my Vivant for a week yet. ( first vape )

My battery seems to die faster then most peoples seem to be but Idk, i can do about one 3 min session and go from 100% to 70% idk why it does that but I can only vape 3 bowls maybe 2 and that's it for that battery.

The crafty CU looks nice, haven't got to into it but so far I see people say it's quite better then the Vivant top cap?
Its pretty easy to do and sooo much better than the stock cap, even looks better. The Alternate with the crafty top is a solid performer.
Also left a charged battery in my unit all week with no use, no drain. Guess Im lucky.

HengefulOne,

Gimpy27

First you need to cut the locking tabs on the outer ring, just eye it against the stock cap. I used nail clippers (works great) and sanded them smooth with the dremel afterwards. Then you gotta sand down the inner ring, in my experience right down to the inner screen ring (indent) I did this with a course sanding drum attachment on with the dermel. Took about 10 minutes to do. I had a lighted magnifying glass to inspect as I leveled it off. User Dtaxx has some good pix up http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vivant-alternate.23668/page-39 and http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vivant-alternate.23668/page-40

Should I sand down the inner ring with the screen indent and the outer ring with the newly cut tabs to the same height or does the outer ring with the tabs even need to be sanded? If both rings are the same height I would think a flat file or belt sander would work the best vs a dremel that would leave all sides inconsistent. I might try taping sand paper to a table and then move the cu back and forth keeping it as flat as possible so it's completely level.

HengefulOne

Should I sand down the inner ring with the screen indent and the outer ring with the newly cut tabs to the same height or does the outer ring with the tabs even need to be sanded? If both rings are the same height I would think a flat file or belt sander would work the best vs a dremel that would leave all sides inconsistent. I might try taping sand paper to a table and then move the cu back and forth keeping it as flat as possible so it's completely level.
No, you should only sand down (hight wise) on the inner ring till you just about hit the indent. Dont sand at all inside the inner ring. Other than the tabs getting cut in on the sides you should do nothing to the outer ring. I just sanded the tabs a bit for an easier fit. The table idea wont work, the inner ring is shorter already and you are gonna sand it down more. Look at the pics user dtaxx posted its pretty clear.

HengefulOne,

Chocu1a

You can't return a device that's been used? As in warranty?? These units are going to crap and if your company doesn't do returns with warranty on faulty crap then probably best to not be in vape game..I couldn't imagine s and b saying that..
That is why you buy from a reputable seller, like puffitup. Sad that the manufacturer isn't as reputable as a reseller. How does the warranty work if you can't send the faulty unit in?

Chocu1a,

mash

I was a idiot and sanded both rings... I rubbed the crafty CU flat on a sand paper.... clipped the tabs.... and it all seems fine to me....

The reason... was looking at the original cu... the space between the tabs and the height of the ring is thinner then the crafty tab and its outside ring.

I took the mesh out and I used the arizer air dome... I squeezes the dome a bit and pushed it inside the crafty CU.

I have 2 alternates set up this way now..... and the fit is pretty tight... air leakage when blowing in with tab closed is very... very minimal.

It seems to work.... I hope I didn't mess up sanding the out side ring... but it made everything level doing this way and it was pretty easy.

That being said....I would probably just sand the inner ring and constantly test the fit.

Baked-not-fried

riding the Cannabreak train...
I sanded both rings as well, Mash. Mine seems to hit like a champ. You can test the seal by just sliding the air valve closed. If you almost pass out like I did trying to get some air to squeak by, then it's a tight fit! :rockon: It's my last attempt to try and fix the flaws on this little fella though. The temp sensor seems to have a little tantrum every once in awhile and the display has read as high as 446*. That's when the 'Heat Protection' message kicks in. It's happened four times so far. So, as much as I dig the ease and hits of the Alternate, I'm done being it's crutch. I sincerely hope Vivant gets all the kinks worked out. I did get my new version top from Gwen. Thank you very much, Gwen. I actually ordered my unit from PIU, but have yet to hear back from them. Yet they sent the Crafty cooling unit I ordered out that day. I'm still a bit pissed off at PIU's customer service right now! The warranty thing is an issue, too. I've obviously used it, hell, I used it until it melted!!!:mental: Maybe I'll pick another one up in a year when they are sure to have worked out the problems. Sorry to ramble passed the issue of ring sanding but I figured I'd get it all out in one fell swoop! Have a great day, All!

Dave

slang

That is why you buy from a reputable seller, like puffitup. Sad that the manufacturer isn't as reputable as a reseller. How does the warranty work if you can't send the faulty unit in?

I bought my first Alternate from PuffItUp and a second one direct from Vivant. Vivant has at least sent replacement topcaps. PuffitUp ?? Still Waiting since beginning of April?

Gimpy27

No, you should only sand down (hight wise) on the inner ring till you just about hit the indent. Dont sand at all inside the inner ring. Other than the tabs getting cut in on the sides you should do nothing to the outer ring. I just sanded the tabs a bit for an easier fit. The table idea wont work, the inner ring is shorter already and you are gonna sand it down more. Look at the pics user dtaxx posted its pretty clear.

When everything comes in I'll measure the original cap and crafty with a mm ruler and compare the difference. I found this picture of a crafty cu and compared it to dtaxx and it definitely looks like he sanded the outside ring but if it's not necessary I won't worry about it. I was thinking earlier and it might be easier to sand the underside of the tabs instead of sanding the rings. This way when the cap is turned to lock it inside the vivant unit it will be the same height

Original crafty
cP4s1g8.jpg

Dtaxx cap
nDziNW9.jpg

yDDGO3T.jpg

Modnote: Posts merged

Nevermind my post. The picture I posted of the stock cap is from a mighty and I'm not sure if it's comparable to a crafty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thoroughly impressed with my Alternate. Original and replacement top caps all work great. I love my digital Volcano but needed something portable. The Alternate has exceeded all of my expectations. Have used it for sessions up to 428 F. But prefer to stay in the 350-375 range. The the ABV goes to edibles or my Volcano for final extraction.

I even left my fully charged Alternate unused for 2 weeks. I had it powered off. And when I turned it back on, the battery still had 100%. I then proceeded to use it for a few sessions last night. Battery has 72% left on it today.

slang

I'm thoroughly impressed with my Alternate. Original and replacement top caps all work great. I love my digital Volcano but needed something portable. The Alternate has exceeded all of my expectations. Have used it for sessions up to 428 F. But prefer to stay in the 350-375 range. The the ABV goes to edibles or my Volcano for final extraction.

I even left my fully charged Alternate unused for 2 weeks. I had it powered off. And when I turned it back on, the battery still had 100%. I then proceeded to use it for a few sessions last night. Battery has 72% left on it today.

Wow, it's post like yours that make me wish i could return my (2) alternates, (5) cracked/melted topcaps, and (3) Crafty topcaps even more?

You're obviously enjoying the crap out of your Alternate, meanwhile, I'm over 250.00 in the hole and can't use any of mine.

slang,

Vitolo

Vaporist

Your findings are identical to mine, right down to the battery charge staying good.

Vitolo,
Reactions: CHIDOY

Gimpy27

Would @HengefulOne @mash and @Baked-not-fried please post pictures of their crafty cu please so i can get a better idea of how much I should trim off the tabs. What's the best way to do this, such as on the side where it says clean regularly do I leave part of the tab on the far left and trim everything else or should the tab be more centered?

I have included a few pictures and would like to know what would be the best setup. I looked over dtaxx's pictures and it looks like his bottom tab is off center and the top tab is directly centered.

RT2hy77.jpg
0aEHMp6.jpg

subway13029

Would @HengefulOne @mash and @Baked-not-fried please post pictures of their crafty cu please so i can get a better idea of how much I should trim off the tabs. What's the best way to do this, such as on the side where it says clean regularly do I leave part of the tab on the far left and trim everything else or should the tab be more centered?

I have included a few pictures and would like to know what would be the best setup. I looked over dtaxx's pictures and it looks like his bottom tab is off center and the top tab is directly centered.

RT2hy77.jpg
0aEHMp6.jpg
i did what you did on bottom pic..took a little of.each tab off of each side..then i sanded i guess the outer ring down to almost flush with inner ring..i also sanded the sides of the ring so as to make the circle smaller if that makes sense..i made it less tall and smaller ..and literally nust kept trying it until it fit good..it leans a tad but is airtight and hits great..way less heat with cu..still cant believe you cant warranty if uts used??wth?? ot for my case as i got it gifted..i cant even get a top cap, but its obvious they are a newer company and hopefully they can up their cs game..

HSIHP

Well, I just noticed this evening that my new top cap has developed a crack. Ive been putting off buying the crafty cu to save some funds for an upcoming trip so it looks like I'm gonna put this one away for now.

HSIHP,
I almost bought an Alternate several months ago, but then the cracked and melting MP issue threw me off. Then the Vivant 4-20 sale was almost too good to pass up, but I did in hopes that the replacements would solve the problem, and if so, PIU's price would still be worth it. It apparently hasn't reliably solved it. I'm done following this thread, and unfortunately have lost interest in this device. I feel bad for all the folks who have been roughing it out. And I feel bad for the company that can't solve the problem. My best to all of you and Vivant.

xlr8shun

subway13029

i cant stress enough that the worst part of all this is the vape is a solid performer with good taste and quality vapor and thats why the ones who spent money and still use it because by performance alone this thing hits!! i say this is worst part because all the other crap..

sickmanfraud

i cant stress enough that the worst part of all this is the vape is a solid performer with good taste and quality vapor and thats why the ones who spent money and still use it because by performance alone this thing hits!! i say this is worst part because all the other crap..

Try to imagine what their sales would be like without the top cap problem. They could have literally sold thousands more.

TheFacter

So a couple months back I was looking for a new vape (currently only have a MFLB and it's killing me lol) in the <$150 portable market. Back then I'd come to the conclusion I was going to get the Alternate, but didn't have the money at the time to get it just yet. Now I do, but now I'm learning about all of these topcap problems and it's dissuading me from purchasing...

Should this problem dissuade me from buying one of these things? Is the topcap melting an inevitability or a few cases of bad luck?

Basically, is the Alternate good enough to buy even with all the risks currently associated with them?

TheFacter,

DarkSm0ke

So a couple months back I was looking for a new vape (currently only have a MFLB and it's killing me lol) in the <$150 portable market. Back then I'd come to the conclusion I was going to get the Alternate, but didn't have the money at the time to get it just yet. Now I do, but now I'm learning about all of these topcap problems and it's dissuading me from purchasing...

Should this problem dissuade me from buying one of these things? Is the topcap melting an inevitability or a few cases of bad luck?

Basically, is the Alternate good enough to buy even with all the risks currently associated with them?

Well for me I have never had the problem with the old tops or the new ones. I have been using mine every day for almost 2 months. After I turn it off I keep hitting it until there is no more vapor and then I take the top cap off to help it further cool down. Not sure if it is helping or not but so far so good, (no cracks or melty caps), ymmv.

mourningbell

Certified human

As long as you get a new top cap it won't melt--or, at least, nobody's has yet. You're at risk of cracking, but mine hasn't shown any signs yet. I think it's worth it because the performance is really impressive otherwise.

Still waiting on the WPA... :rolleyes:

TheFacter

Still waiting on the WPA... :rolleyes:

Aw I figured they would have had it out by now. Last I saw the only people who were able to mod a wpa for it had to like drill into the unit to fit a new glass mouthpiece or something like that. I'm guessing nobody has been able to make an "easy" wpa mod, or a 3rd party attachment?

TheFacter,
Reactions: DarkSm0ke
Top Bottom