VAS kicking in: Looking for a new, affordable wooden vape

shopdognyc

Got it. Fair enough. E-nano is a solid alternative. No experience with desktops, but everyone raves over that one. Go into some debating that and Woodscent, some people very die hard.

Looking forward to your feedback on it.

Cervical CBD

VAS is a real thing. I bought my first vape a SV in April then a DynaVap Cvap and now a Stickybrick Runt. I really want a log vape next haha.

Cervical CBD,
Reactions: arb

shopdognyc

I believe in the support behind the TM but doesn’t seem like it’s realistic to get anytime soon. I’ve become curious.

shopdognyc,

Tweakz

I believe in the support behind the TM but doesn’t seem like it’s realistic to get anytime soon. I’ve become curious.
now the manufacturer is in touch and I hope that in the future it will have a large team. My Tinymight for 7+ month great daily work .

shopdognyc

Haven’t researched the Lotur or Elev8r. Have been focused on the flip as of late and my favorite of them all

Pax2, crafty+, mighty, Dynavaps(have more than I’ll ever want or need now, think 6-8), sticky brick (runt, flip, Junior, og)

I have a used EdS woodscents coming.

I feel like I get the best job with my flip so far

shopdognyc,

Vaporware

I’m still following the TinyMight, but it’s getting harder for me to recommend it.

The long waits for support can be frustrating (although I think the people waiting will ultimately be taken care of), but I also think there may not have been enough testing done before it was produced on this scale.

The biggest problem seems to be (possibly) oxidization on the battery cap/terminals (or another issue) hurting performance for some people, but some haptic feedback motors are failing too, the bottom battery terminal is fairly easy to bend down (which most people can fix themselves), and a number of people have struggled with various o-rings and stuff that can hurt performance if they’re not in the right place.

It’s also a little more fragile than I’d expected with things like ceramic pins in the heater and a glass sleeve around the stem in at least early units. I don’t think they’re more fragile than some of the other popular on-demand convection options, but stuff like I mentioned can break if you drop it, hit something with it too hard, etc. and until you can get ahold of support and get it fixed you probably won’t be able to use it if something like that breaks.

None of these are insurmountable problems and I expect a lot of people here to keep buying/using/promoting the TM despite these issues (especially since most people don’t seem to have problems), but as of today I’d only recommend it to people who can handle the growing pains and possibly being without it for a while.

If you don’t have a good backup or you’re impatient, I’d stay away until quick support is back on track unless it’s exactly what you want and you really can’t wait to try it. Hopefully slowing demand a little will also give the guy time to see what’s gone wrong with existing units and make some changes to keep them all running better for longer. :2c:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@VaporWare – I don't know whether you own a TM, but I do and have for ten months now and honestly: I can't really confirm your points. The TM is actually a pretty sturdy device, basically a block of oak wood with two metal plates on top & bottom (and a glass tube, but even that is not flimsy at all). The TM uses a very basic battery compartment that has been used in tons of other devices in the same way. O rings don't seem that much of an issue to me too – I'm not trying to debunk you, but I am just a bit surprised by the picture you are painting here. Again: I have used the TM for ten months now, pretty much daily and even dropped it on the floor once, and while I do not recommend to drop it on the floor, it caused no issues at all (and to be fair: likewise incidents did for others). It's true that customer support is struggling at the moment, but it does actually seem to get back to what older TM users are used to (slowly) and also the likelyhood of being in need of cs at all is below average. I don't think it's accurate to say it hasn't been „tested enough“. That seems quite a bit misleading to me. And yeah, when a device is fucking up and you have to send it in, it's hardly a pleasant thing to do.

justcametomind

I’m still following the TinyMight, but it’s getting harder for me to recommend it.

The long waits for support can be frustrating (although I think the people waiting will ultimately be taken care of), but I also think there may not have been enough testing done before it was produced on this scale.

The biggest problem seems to be (possibly) oxidization on the battery cap/terminals (or another issue) hurting performance for some people, but some haptic feedback motors are failing too, the bottom battery terminal is fairly easy to bend down (which most people can fix themselves), and a number of people have struggled with various o-rings and stuff that can hurt performance if they’re not in the right place.

It’s also a little more fragile than I’d expected with things like ceramic pins in the heater and a glass sleeve around the stem in at least early units. I don’t think they’re more fragile than some of the other popular on-demand convection options, but stuff like I mentioned can break if you drop it, hit something with it too hard, etc. and until you can get ahold of support and get it fixed you probably won’t be able to use it if something like that breaks.

None of these are insurmountable problems and I expect a lot of people here to keep buying/using/promoting the TM despite these issues (especially since most people don’t seem to have problems), but as of today I’d only recommend it to people who can handle the growing pains and possibly being without it for a while.

If you don’t have a good backup or you’re impatient, I’d stay away until quick support is back on track unless it’s exactly what you want and you really can’t wait to try it. Hopefully slowing demand a little will also give the guy time to see what’s gone wrong with existing units and make some changes to keep them all running better for longer. :2c:
TM probably outperforms a Mighty but it has to be stressed out that TM would probably need an RMA ticket to Finland EVERYTIME it would drop to the ground from 1 meter up. The fall would dislodge the heater resulting in hot spots and can't be handled by the user alone unfortunately.

Vaporware

@VaporWare – I don't know whether you own a TM, but I do and have for ten months now and honestly: I can't really confirm your points. The TM is actually a pretty sturdy device, basically a block of oak wood with two metal plates on top & bottom (and a glass tube, but even that is not flimsy at all). The TM uses a very basic battery compartment that has been used in tons of other devices in the same way. O rings don't seem that much of an issue to me too – I'm not trying to debunk you, but I am just a bit surprised by the picture you are painting here. Again: I have used the TM for ten months now, pretty much daily and even dropped it on the floor once, and while I do not recommend to drop it on the floor, it caused no issues at all (and to be fair: likewise incidents did for others). It's true that customer support is struggling at the moment, but it does actually seem to get back to what older TM users are used to (slowly) and also the likelyhood of being in need of cs at all is below average. I don't think it's accurate to say it hasn't been „tested enough“. That seems quite a bit misleading to me. And yeah, when a device is fucking up and you have to send it in, it's hardly a pleasant thing to do.

Thanks for posting the other side of it, and you’re right I don’t have a TM myself, but I’ve read every post in the thread and I’ve been following it all year. I was recommending it to people, and it still seems like one of the best options for a lot of people who want a solid portable on-demand convection experience right now, but everything I mentioned there was reported more than once in the thread and some of them may be significant issues.

The possibly oxidizing contacts are a good example to focus on, even to show you what I mean about maybe not being tested enough.

My personal favorite portable, the Nomad, actually has a similar issue. People who don’t use it frequently (which keeps the contacts cleaner) should use an eraser to remove the oxidized layer on the electrical contacts and keep it working at its best. This is something Dan learned or at least figured out the details of through testing, and he includes info about this in the manual, etc.

With the TinyMight some of us *think* this is at least part of the cause of some people’s performance problems, but I’ve never seen anything official that suggests Ville even knows this might be an issue.

The fact that we’ve seen people clean contacts and report improved performance suggests this may be the issue for at least some people, but even if there is some other problem we don’t know anything about yet, there are people who have unexplained performance drops and more extensive testing of the design probably would have allowed these issues to be found and addressed before there were many units out there.

Now if he decided he needed to change out parts for example, he would lose a lot more time and money than if the problems had been found earlier, and a lot more people will read about these problems (performance issues, parts breaking, support, etc.) and they may hurt the TM’s reputation long-term even if they’re all fixed.

I know he’s made some updates, maybe it doesn’t need any more changes at this point, and you’re not the only one to report dropping yours with no damage, but until support is back on track and some of these issues have been explained and addressed I don’t feel good about recommending it to people without letting them know that *some* people are having some problems right now, and some of those people are having to wait a long time for responses to support requests.

I hope this all turns around soon and the TM does great - I’d consider trying one myself if I can after some of these issues are dealt with - but at least until support is easy to reach again I hope you can see why I’d only recommend the TM to people who have other options to use if they run into issues. No one wants to see more angry users in the TM thread. :disgust:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@VaporWare – Okay, while I again do not want to debunk your points, here's the thing: all your assumptions are based on reading a thread, and while this may let you understand the possible issues a device *could* have, it's absolutely not the same as owning and using a device.

The possibly oxidizing contacts are a good example to focus on, even to show you what I mean about maybe not being tested enough.

No. I don't experience any unwanted oxidization and don't think that this is more than speculation why certain effects may appear. To me it makes no sense. It *does* make sense to keep battery contacts clean, but that is a) the case with every battery driven device and b) has nothing to do with oxidization here, because aluminum creates an oxide layer as soon as it comes in contact with oxygen. I own a e cig mod that has exactly the same battery compartment (a tube with a screwed on aluminum top lid) which I've been using for 3 years now and I've seen this exact way to house the battery on a ton of other mods. It's tested and it doesn't cause issues.

[...] but even if there is some other problem we don’t know anything about yet, there are people who have unexplained performance drops and more extensive testing of the design probably would have allowed these issues to be found and addressed before there were many units out there.

On the other hand (and this is where I find your points quite a bit misleading) most TMs work as they should. You will hardly find any mass produced device that will not have any issues at all, and threads here on fc actually *focus* on problems and issues.

Now if he decided he needed to change out parts for example, he would lose a lot more time and money than if the problems had been found earlier, and a lot more people will read about these problems (performance issues, parts breaking, support, etc.) and they may hurt the TM’s reputation long-term even if they’re all fixed.

None of the issues are typical for any batch of the TM; my device is a 1st generation TM and it works perfectly. If somebody stole it and I could only buy exactly that first generation model, I'd do so without even having to think about it.

No one wants to see more angry users in the TM thread.

...or in any other thread. But issues with electronic devices are pretty natural, ya know? And again: that's a huge part of what we do here on fc: we try to focus on the issues.

TM probably outperforms a Mighty but it has to be stressed out that TM would probably need an RMA ticket to Finland EVERYTIME it would drop to the ground from 1 meter up. The fall would dislodge the heater resulting in hot spots and can't be handled by the user alone unfortunately.

TM and Mighty are two very different devices and I don't think it makes sense to compare them. As I (and others) have reported, the TM is able to survive even hard drops, and while this still *might* lead to malfunctions, I am not sure how many drops a Mighty, a Nomad or a Tetra P80 would survive. We basically try to avoid that with any device, right?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

... at least you said "probably"? but I still have to reply and disagree with this post lol

Any time you drop any vape there is a risk, total chance if something breaks and needs to be sent back or not, so I would never say "probably every time" especially when comparing to a mighty, which certainly can also break when dropped... as any vape can!

While it could be fair to mention warranty services in Finland (aren't s&b in Germany? or they have a US facility too?) and the lack of communication as of late, I think that presuming every TM drop means an RMA is needed is more than a little ludicrous...

We've all been there, with many many different vapes, if and when you drop it your heart leaps and you just have to pray for the best! These are fragile electronic devices we're talking about, you know?

Vaporware

@VaporWare – Okay, while I again do not want to debunk your points, here's the thing: all your assumptions are based on reading a thread, and while this may let you understand the possible issues a device *could* have, it's absolutely not the same as owning and using a device.

No. I don't experience any unwanted oxidization and don't think that this is more than speculation why certain effects may appear. To me it makes no sense. It *does* make sense to keep battery contacts clean, but that is a) the case with every battery driven device and b) has nothing to do with oxidization here, because aluminum creates an oxide layer as soon as it comes in contact with oxygen. I own a e cig mod that has exactly the same battery compartment (a tube with a screwed on aluminum top lid) which I've been using for 3 years now and I've seen this exact way to house the battery on a ton of other mods. It's tested and it doesn't cause issues.

On the other hand (and this is where I find your points quite a bit misleading) most TMs work as they should. You will hardly find any mass produced device that will not have any issues at all, and threads here on fc actually *focus* on problems and issues.

None of the issues are typical for any batch of the TM; my device is a 1st generation TM and it works perfectly. If somebody stole it and I could only buy exactly that first generation model, I'd do so without even having to think about it.

...or in any other thread. But issues with electronic devices are pretty natural, ya know? And again: that's a huge part of what we do here on fc: we try to focus on the issues.

TM and Mighty are two very different devices and I don't think it makes sense to compare them. As I (and others) have reported, the TM is able to survive even hard drops, and while this still *might* lead to malfunctions, I am not sure how many drops a Mighty, a Nomad or a Tetra P80 would survive. We basically try to avoid that with any device, right?

I’m not sure how owning a perfectly functioning device like yours would give me a better perspective; we’re both basing our perceptions of TM problems on reading about other people’s problems.

To be fair, I have read about plenty of other portables with a lot more problems, and it’s not completely fair to compare it to some of the nearly indestructible desktops out there, but since neither of us knows the cause(s) of performance drops, haptic motor failures, complete device failures, sudden combustion (this could be the screen touching the heater), etc. and we’re not seeing answers from Ville on most of it, I don’t think we should go on as if everything’s fine.

What we do know is that some people are having some kind of real issues, and some have been waiting a *month* or more for even a reply from support let alone a fix.

Given what we know, I think it’s fine to recommend it to diehard FCers who like to be on the “bleeding edge” and understand the risks, but I try never to recommend things with currently unexplained problems and support issues to average users who don’t have good backup options. I think that’s the best idea for me, for them, and even for the people making the devices. Those users are the most likely to show up here angry, filling the TM thread with complaints and damaging its reputation.

If I didn’t want it to succeed I would have stopped reading the thread and ignored it a long time ago. There are a hundred pieces of cheap plastic garbage I completely ignore, but with promising devices like this I feel a responsibility to both support it and be realistic about the current situation. I hope that makes sense to you. :) :peace:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
If I didn’t want it to succeed I would have stopped reading the thread and ignored it a long time ago. There are a hundred pieces of cheap plastic garbage I completely ignore, but with promising devices like this I feel a responsibility to both support it and be realistic about the current situation. I hope that makes sense to you. :) :peace:

As long as I didn't have a device in my hand and played a bit with it, there's no way I will recommend it in the first place. And that goes the other way around too: I myself have never used a Grasshopper; we all know about the bad cs reputation Hopper Labs has, *however*, I avoid to recommend against the Hopper as long as I can not even refer to my own experiences.

Ville / the maker / anyone from the company never took part in the TM thread here on fc, just like many other manufacturers don't, so it's a bit odd to look for their answers to several issues here – however, TM owners have had conversations directly with the company in the past and received *extensive* customer support and explanations too (which often gets shared / quoted in the thread btw).

In my opinion you are not in the position to decide how bleeding edge the TM really is. We should avoid to be co-hyped by a new device and recommend it without having personal experiences with it.

Last edited:

Tweakz

for example, I have a very positive experience with tinymight and even recommended it to many of my friends and acquaintances, who also have no problems with it. I am sure that in the future the service will be much better and errors in devices will be reduced to zero.

GoldenBud

for example, I have a very positive experience with tinymight and even recommended it to many of my friends and acquaintances, who also have no problems with it. I am sure that in the future the service will be much better and errors in devices will be reduced to zero.
Raising VAS for all friends, eh? they got Lotus too already? all of them? ;D

GoldenBud,
Reactions: arb

Tweakz

elev8r and tinymight liked my companions and friends more than lotus and sticky brick for example.
and Yes, there are a lot of other vapes that can be considered. but I advise to have something that I tried myself
so you're wrong about the Lotus :) what's so comical about that ?

Tweakz,

GoldenBud

elev8r and tinymight liked my companions and friends more than lotus and sticky brick for example.
and Yes, there are a lot of other vapes that can be considered. but I advise to have something that I tried myself
so you're wrong about the Lotus :) what's so comical about that ?
with the clouds you got from the Lotus it's on my VAS with steroids haha
really strugglin if to by this vape, 15% till few hours left
VAS onnnnnn
elev8r works so well without beads now
and waiting for my tubox
:rockon:

GoldenBud,
Reactions: Likun

justcametomind

I compared Mighty&TM because the first can be a daily driver for almost anyone, especially combustion fuckers and hard users. It also came in to my mind because I used it a lot, and I dropped it lots of times. It survived many drops.

Not speaking about a vaporizer (or a movie or anything you don't have your hands on) without having it is good, but I think it's good also to share common knowledge on a forum, even if you don't have the vape. Seemed to me, by reading the last 10+ pages of the TM thread after ordering it, that the fragility of TM is a thing that should be kept in mind when buying or recommending it. I see that TM has become a very common answer to the question "which vape to get", and if the question is "which wooden vape to get" TM seems a no brainer. IMHO it shouldn't.

... at least you said "probably"? but I still have to reply and disagree with this post lol

Any time you drop any vape there is a risk, total chance if something breaks and needs to be sent back or not, so I would never say "probably every time" especially when comparing to a mighty, which certainly can also break when dropped... as any vape can!

While it could be fair to mention warranty services in Finland (aren't s&b in Germany? or they have a US facility too?) and the lack of communication as of late, I think that presuming every TM drop means an RMA is needed is more than a little ludicrous...

We've all been there, with many many different vapes, if and when you drop it your heart leaps and you just have to pray for the best! These are fragile electronic devices we're talking about, you know?
I feel more comfortable having to deal with SB just because I already did many times, with no problems. But unfortunately they aren't producing on demand vapes!
I compared the two just because I dropped Mighties many times, I could crack the housing or fins but dislodging the heater was not a possibility, dropping a TM seems riskier to me than dropping a Mighty/Crafty.
Of course you are welcome to disagree and nontheless I will always read your posts with much interest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom