• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

VaporGenie

jambandphan03

in flavor country
the one I linked also pops out to the side... Starting to wonder about that soft flame being on after the blue flame... hope that isn't too much of an issue. Shoot, the more I think about that, the more I'm not sure I'm going to like that feature. I think I'm going to cancel my order before they ship. :\ sorry bout that y'all...

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Egzoset

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I couldn't stand using a torch with my VG. Standard yellow butane flame got the best results. However, I couldn't stand the Bat and gave it away.

Some day I'll replace it with probably the original, or perhaps a glass one.

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

djonkoman

Indeed! (although I bought a soft flame lighter) I've been using this: http://dx.com/p/stylish-silver-cigar-lighter-10080 with my VG classic for about a year now. Still works very well. It appears to be sold out at the moment, but they just added this: http://dx.com/p/zinc-alloy-pu-butane-gas-lighter-for-smoking-pipe-black-silver-182582 which seems to be similar. The side flame makes using the VG a bit easier.
I agree with Vitolo, I think adjustable, soft flame lighters are ideal for the VG.
I had that cigar lighter too, before I switched to a torch, but mine didn't last that long. after a while(few weeks) the ignition went downhill, only one in so much times it actually ignited and needed a special push. after a while the ignition stopped completely, so I had to light it wth a different lighter(torch), but then a little later, maybe 1-2 weeks, it started leaking gas. gave off a hissing sound.
and at that time the only other lighter I had available was a torch lighter, and I think it was weekend or so(I know I couldn't get a new other lighter), so that's how I switched to torch. that first torch, also from dealextreme, is still working perfectly though, don't really know how long I have it but at least a year, possibly 2

djonkoman,

wonderfox

I got myself the VG coil as a throwaway vape to bring to Amsterdam with me when I go next week. Anyone got any experience with the coil used with hemp wick? I have the VG original and along with hemp wick it's my emergency vape. I find it works very well without the butane taste. Are the two similar? P.S anyone else in 'Dam next week?

wonderfox,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Just got my Coil in the mail :) this thing really does vape!! I started my first round using a torch lighter. I feel a bit fumbly, it's been a while since I've had to put flame to bowl. I can feel the butane some, so the high does feel a bit dirtier to me than what I am used to. I just got some hemp wick and it works ok, but I taste it too. I have not had any combustion yet, and it does seem to toast my load pretty fast, but that's a good thing if I am looking for a quickie. Get'er dun!

I have some clear tubing I put on the end of the mouthpiece so I can see vapor and get it further from my face. It's a bit harsh, but works well dry. I'm sure the tubing helps cool it some and gives you something to hold as it heats up.

The medicinal effects are definitely there, in fact it's a lot closer to the smoking feeling buzz than my other vapes have been for me. Must be getting higher temps than I am used to. I put one of the larger orange O rings from thermovape on the coil to help get a better seal with my glass. It fits my $40 (infamous pipesdaddy.com bub) just fine and dandy :tup: I can see the coil being very handy in the right situations, and might make it so I don't drag every last portable I own out to festivals this summer. I always worry about loss/theft/breakage/travel in and out etc at festivals or other large gatherings. Very cool indeed! I can see I need a bit more practice to get this down smooth, but so far, the results have been very positive. I can't wait for the glass sherlock to get here.

** so I decided to go for the o'l bic ligher, and got great results from that too. I can see how it would be very easy to accidentally combust. Luckily, my taste buds were trained a bit from using the thermovape gear, some of which would combust if you laid on the switch too long. I bet if this SS coil version works this well, that the pipes and glass versions must be even better. I think I end up doing things b

*** coil+$40bub = a very easy, low cost, portable vaporizer combo for those getting started and/or wanting to spend less to get going. :nod:

I REALLY LIKE THE VG!! I can't believe I waited this long to try it... I wonder if I would have done it right and appreciated it properly if I had started with it...

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Glass VG should show up in today's mail :D looking forward to getting it, and testing out a glass VG gong idea I have, assuming all the parts work together the way I think they are going to. More on that if it works out...

I just pulled the trigger on this Vector KGM Volt single torch lighter on ebay, hoping it's a good one that will last a while...

$T2eC16NHJHwE9n8ig+PuBQlt+DOo)g~~60_57.JPG

jambandphan03,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Glass VG should show up in today's mail :D looking forward to getting it, and testing out a glass VG gong idea I have, assuming all the parts work together the way I think they are going to. More on that if it works out...

I just pulled the trigger on this Vector KGM Volt single torch lighter on ebay, hoping it's a good one that will last a while...

How much was the lighter jam? I need to invest in a durable unit sometime, be sure to use 5x filtered butane.

vorrange,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
$25 shipped on ebay, not bad for a vector. I wish I had waited on the first one I looked at (dual flame), they did not cancel my order, so I ended up getting it, and the default yellow flame, after the torch goes out is a bit annoying. I will keep it around as back up, better than nothing, for sure.

Alright y'all!! I got the glass VG. It's pretty sweet. I had to go right to testing out an idea I had. I recently bought this 14-18 expander http://www.pipesdaddy.com/14mm-to-18-8mm-Adapter-p/as-0010.htm and started looking at how the glass VG basically is using a reducer with the filter popped into it. So I put a screen in the expander, loaded some ground herb, and slipped the top part of the glass VG down into that, and now I have a glass VG GonG style vaporizer!

The Glass VG Sherlock is also pretty cool, I've only hit it a few times, but it delivers a pretty smooth hit.

JP85FBD.jpg

9I1RkRj.jpg

stickstones

Vapor concierge
nicely done, jam! I want the same setup and went to my lhs to talk about a blower making me something like that, that would be designed like the acceptor end of the Glass VG. I hadn't thought about doing it with a simple expander. Does it hit as well as the pipe? I am aware of the need to get the distance and airflow designed correctly for it to work optimally.

stickstones,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Well, I've only had it maybe half an hour or so, and have been getting really good hits from both the torch and the yellow flame with that particular expander. I just sort of eyeballed it as far as distance goes, my screen is dipped down about half way in the bowl shaped part, and I have room for more herb in there. I guess more time is needed to find out just how efficient it is. Hey, for a 10$ expander, it's not a bad set up. I don't know how long the expander will hold up under the heating/cooling.

I just hit it again, and all I can say is it's working!! :freak: First load was a nice even dark brown, no signs of scorching, but did stir a couple of times between hits. I only put a small layer over the bottom of the screen a couple of pinches or so, pressed flat.

for a flame vape, this set up is ripping me up!! I am getting huge clouds, and so far haven't burned it... hoping that trend continues. These are some much higher temps than my other vapes give me. :ko:

***you know this is the part of all this I love the most, making mods work, and having fun with it...

****multi-edit:

...because this is working so well, I went ahead and ordered a couple more of those expanders, and will see how much they vary in size/shape. Hopefully they are pretty much the same. Mine looks just like the photo on the website.

jambandphan03,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
...little update... glass gong continues to work well... the only time I am having trouble with combustion is when using the blue flame torch turned up too high, and hitting too heavy on the draw. There is definite fine line with getting a good cloud and not creating a cherry. I like how you can see the disk heat up through the glass. VG is a cool vaping tool!!

jambandphan03

in flavor country
...me again...

Been hitting the glass sherlock today. I got a replacement top&disk so I have a fresh one, and the used one. I have been using yellow flame, and getting good results. Still waiting for my vector torch to get here, might be tomorrow. I am very happy with the VG line so far. I can see adding a wood pipe some time in the future. The glass GonG mod is also rocking it!! I just got lucky finding that expander, I ordered it on a whim while I was getting the $40 bub, glad I listened to that one...

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Vitolo

liontea

You really just need the top. I prefer swapping the top onto a 10 dollar J-Bend, easy to clean and you can see the vapor. Also not as expensive as the Bronze. The top can also switch on to other genies.
what are you using that is letting you hook a metal bowl up to a gong?

liontea,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
paytonpenn,
Reactions: liontea

doniv

So I've read and read and read some more of this thread ever since I figured that a flame based vape is the way to go for me right now. (first vape!)

I'll be vaping with friends mostly and it will be outdoors quite a lot of times. I gotta say that I'm quite torn between the various VGs.

I've figured that the VG with the alu base would be the right one for me since I want something that I can get really clean (kind of a stickler for that). Why not a bat or a coil? Because I would usually be passing it around to more than 4 people. I know that's asking for a bit much from a portable vape but I just wanted to know if there's anything that I'm missing here.

Is my reasoning sound or would I be better off with an SS bat or coil? The only deterrence for me is the size of the alu VG.

VG.com is having a clearance on the old style alu bases. I'm thinking of picking up one of these, saving $20 over the new style one. Is the new style one way superior?

doniv,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
One thing to consider with the VG is as a pass around, you will have to be instructing people how to use this thing, so they don't ruin it. Also the Coil version will get hot pretty fast, so you might want to consider the other larger pipe styles for a pass around piece.

The metal pipes are going to be easier to keep clean than the wood. I just ordered myself one of the hand carved pipes, to complete the line up for me, I have the coil, the glass sherlock and waiting on the hand carved to show up in a few days. I might pick up one of the metal body pipes later on.

I just started using flame vapes myself, but have been vaping for some time now with powered devices. Another smaller bat style to look into is the Vapor Lithe. I have not used that one yet, also waiting for it to show up so I can try it, but it looks promising.

I hope you enjoy flame vaping, the main points to keep in mind when using them (so I have discovered recently) is, don't touch the fire directly to the heat stone, only let the tip of the flame kiss into the top, otherwise it will form soot on the heat stone, and you will taste it. Consider the first couple of hits, warm up hits, once it gets warmed a bit, the vapor production is better, and faster. Use a med/steady, even draw, if you pull too hard, too much air can cool down the stone too fast, and I have also found it can spark up a cherry if you have the stone heating too hot, and you pull hard. Less is more, if you start to get a hit, it's better to back off the heat and get a smaller hit, than to over do the heat and end up burning it. The stone will continue to vape the material for a few seconds after heat is removed, so keep hitting it. If you want to use blue flame torch, keep it pretty far back from the heat stone and gradually bring it closer, it will burn your load fast if not careful.

I hope some of this helps... good luck to you, and please come back and tell us how it's going.

**woke up way too early, can't sleep, so I am watching vids...

v=

Check this out... looks like he's using a standard metal bowl (from back in the day) to screw the genie top into so he can hook it up to a waterpiece. Too bad I tossed that stuff out years ago...Not bad...

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I wouldn't recommend the aluminum bat, nor the stainless... to anyone.

Had I not discovered the joy of a much better working and efficient vape, I would have gone straight back to combustion. I hate that vape.

Don't get me wrong. Love VGs... I think sticks is bloody brilliant, even if he states the reason tongue-in-cheek. The man is hooked up,for power outages and zombie apocalypse! Just pick a better VG and avoid the bad experience of the bat. Now the new(ER) spring-screw-together... that one, has much better reviews and is cheap enough, almost to be a disposable vape. The Sherlock's are awesome. The more expensive glass VG...

Stay away from the bats!

doniv

Loads of great info there, jam... Wishing you loads of greenbacks so that you may keep your VAS alive and kicking (and helping us n00bz in the process).

The VaporLithe will be impossible to reload after a few hits. That's the only reason why I'm considering the VG over it. Reloads are a must for me given that it would be used by multiple people in one session.

Since some won't get it right the first time, that's another reason for picking the alu base - I can boil the burnt flavour out of it if I want.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Thanks for the well wishes... can use all the green I can get my hands on! :nod: Bring it!!

**Does anyone know if the hand carved style top will screw down onto the aluminum pipe body (old style) they have that part as a stand alone, for $20 (the body only) and I was considering it, if the hand carved top will work on it.

jambandphan03,

u bwade wunner

I love the spring Vg coil.
I was on the road with mine for 3 weeks in the states last year.I bought a yellow flame lighter to begin with but i needed to hit it quickly for stealth reasons,so I ended up using a side outlet jet torch.super quick hits 5 seconds or so heat,but you need to be careful with the torch.dipping the heat in and out of the coil works best.You taste the vapor and know after a while where is good.Oh and i got a hello neighbour to use with it in my room.Both worked really well.

I bought a bottle of grunge off on my last day from a head shop and cleaned it good as new and flamed the stone till red.

d ont throw it,clean it and take it home with you after youre hols.carry some tobacco with it and your e set.will last a lifetime.didnt notice much gas taste during use either. a very good experience all round and it was my 24/7 vape for those 3 weeks

Awesome Mods Jamb.Thats a sweet set up with the infamous.The clear looks like its perfect for you!

Top Bottom