VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

bener

Vapeologist
@Pipes or anyone that knows.
is there a drawing of the adjustments somewhere?

thank you!

on another note, it looks like they may have added another shift at the Pipes IH works. I noticed my number getting closer pretty rapidly. 👍👍👍

Last edited:

Han Solo

Guess which vape I got just before joining
LOL At this pace, mine will be ready in about a month.
I got on the list 2 weeks ago at #78 and got a message this morning saying mine is ready to ship.
(I'm still 13 on the waitlist, though, so I imagine removal from the list happens when Pipes has either confirmed payment or shipped the package)

Pretty strong pace, I'd say for a 1 person operation.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Spoiler alert: I didn't know if we were still keeping the extra feature thing a secret anymore. So if you don't want to know the feature that @Pipes doesn't mention in his description then zip past my post. I figure at some point @Pipes should get some credit for his awesome design.

Edit: I put the post in my spoiler tab below for now.

bener

Vapeologist
And now I get to switch from frequently refreshing the wait list to frequently refreshing the postal tracking page :D :D :D

Expected delivery by the 26th

@Han Solo
You might want to check out a package tracking app. I have one, and all I do is forward any Package Shipped email I received to the app, or enter a tracking number (cut and paste works), and the app keeps me updated. I can adjust the type/frequency of updates I get.

Basically, the app does all that refreshing for you 👍

Spoiler alert: I didn't know if we were still keeping the extra feature thing a secret anymore. So if you don't want to know the feature that @Pipes doesn't mention in his description then zip past my post. I figure at some point @Pipes should get some credit for his awesome design.

Edit: I put the post in my spoiler tab below for now.

@BabyFacedFinster

I appreciate your efforts to keep the hidden feature secret! I stumbled across it (unless there’s more than one) accidentally the other day. You are right, it is awesome and @Pipes does deserve kudos!

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I haven't found any hard to find features yet.

After seeing y'all talk about a "hidden feature", I thought it was one thing...but if someone is saying that they just now "stumbled across it", then it must not be what I was thinking of. What I was thinking of would be noticed by anyone upon first use.

Hmmmmmmm :sherlock:

Ramahs,
Reactions: RobbIt

Han Solo

Guess which vape I got just before joining
I haven't found any hard to find features yet.

After seeing y'all talk about a "hidden feature", I thought it was one thing...but if someone is saying that they just now "stumbled across it", then it must not be what I was thinking of. What I was thinking of would be noticed by anyone upon first use.

Hmmmmmmm :sherlock:
@bener doesn't have theirs yet. they must've stumbled across a video. It's what you're thinking of.

JEMSKU

I received my Hotshot last Thursday up here in Canada. I signed up about 3-4 hours after they became available and landed at #40, I received mine sooner than I expected based on that. I imagine he has some ready-made or nearly ready units lined up for the first batch or two.

This is my first IH.

My first impressions were admittedly mixed. The frame feels thin, the lid is very very flimsy, and my charging port was not useable until I knocked the unit around a bit to reseat the internal components and line them up with the external cut. I don't have a whole lot of faith for this thing surviving any sort of significant drop. The size is great, this is the first IH that's struck me as something that I can take around with me easily and that was a pretty big factor in my purchase.

PXL_20210311_190618613_compress36.jpg

I charged it up until the connectors were no longer warm to the touch, it was just over an hour.

Using it has been great. I usually don't mind using a torch, my preference is actually a triple that I have learned to get a lot of control out of. Mainly I wanted a way to heat with one hand and the hotshot has made that possible for me. It will also be good for outdoor use, as my region has a nearly constant wind and even using a triple it can be frustratingly difficult to get a reliable click. I haven't had any issues with overheating or uneven roasting. I have to say that I will probably end up using this over a torch in any situation that doesn't require a minimal carry. I have even been using it at home, where I have been throwing a cap onto my woodscents stems and finishing them off with the HS. It's a good showcase for the merits of conduction based extraction, it usually gives me a pretty solid hit after the woodscents bleeds the load dry. I of course could have always done this with a torch, but dropping the HS onto the stem while it sits in the waterpipe makes it a much quicker and more pleasant experience.

pipes compared it to a pack of cigs and it is. It’s so tiny. With something this small the world is on the cusp of having a stash with a built in induction heater! Boy oh boy the two hour charge has me antsy.

I have to say I'm surprised that someone hasn't already designed and 3D printed a sleeve for the HS that includes a vapcap and herb compartment, this is practically begging for it. It would also offer a bit more protection for the everyday carry nature of the whole package.

Last edited:

despeRAWdo

Fan of Hot Air Makers.
@JEMSKU This is also my first IH and I agree with your review. I will say, while I do think the lid will break easily, I don't think it's something that will happen without an accident. Plus, it's nice to have a lid on something you keep in your pocket to protect against outside material falling in. My whole charging situation also took some finagling. Overall though, really impressed, such a cool way to use a DV.

someTooL

Arrival today. Charged per instructions and let it rip. Exceeds initial expectations and has a very similar heating profile as my ‘19 Caldron. Really like the activation on this model too, super smooth.

Only regret, not using a glass stem for my 1st testing. That’ll come tonight.

Thank you @Pipes for an outstanding product and providing it at a super price point. + Can’t wait to throw that bare bones kit in an enclosure 😁

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
The one thing I'm always worried about is breaking the flimsy-looking flip-up cover piece, because I'm clumsy sometimes. But maybe it's nothing to worry about. Otherwise, I'm very happy with my HS. Works like a charm, especially when I'm out and about during the day.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
The one thing I'm always worried about is breaking the flimsy-looking flip-up cover piece, because I'm clumsy sometimes. But maybe it's nothing to worry about. Otherwise, I'm very happy with my HS. Works like a charm, especially when I'm out and about during the day.
You are correct that this is highly possible. If dropped with the lid open, the lid will break in a heartbeat. You will end up with a lidless HS. This will not affect the functionality at all and the remaining hinge pin can be removed to help with the cosmetic look. Unfortunately, there are no extra lids to replace them as that is something I can't part with. I already have many enclosures missing lids both top and bottom.
Be careful and keep those lids closed when not in use.
Anyone have any luck replacing the glass tube on the Portside. I cant manage to get it to break free. I even tried heating it up first. It smokes like a mother but won't come free.

You need to apply pressure to the legs of the coil pushing towards to rear. This will help to lessen the glass-to-coil friction. Also, a drop of water will act as a lubricant between the coil and glass. Twisting can also help while pulling on the glass. good luck. :science:

I've also had many reports of the magnet coming out. This is an easy fix.
Epoxy is the best solution. JB-Quickweld or similar should work fine. Mix up a small amount and put a small pea-size dab into the hole and then push in the magnet. Let cure before using the magnet.

Another reported issue is the charge port alignment. This can be tweaked by pushing hard either on the magnet to lower the USB receptacle or against the battery to raise it. The internals is held in place by two rubber pressure pads in the front and the pressure supplied when the lower internal lid is installed.

I also get questions regarding the extra heatshield/spacer and the friction pad. Here's the scoop.
The wooden disc is the “heatshield” which can double as a spacer and the heat-resistant rubber cushion is a “friction pad” which is attached to the underside of the heatshield to keep it from falling out of the tube if the unit is inverted. The pad is affixed offset to the disc so some protrudes along the side. This protrusion acts as a kind of hinge by pressing against the tube pushing the wooden disc against the tube on the opposite side. The pressure is adjustable by increasing/decreasing the offset by peeling away the pad and reseating it.
To use the wooden disc as a spacer, it should be installed under the heatshield/cushion pad combo so it resides closest to the actual switch.
To remove the heatshield from the tube, you need tweezers. Push down on the side of the wooden disc closest to the glass tube. The disc should flip up enough to be able to grab with the tweezers and remove. To re-install, push down evenly with a VC cap.

There is also a tool that resides under the battery which I've had reports that can raddle and make the owner think something is loose. It can be re-arranged under the battery or ignored. This tool is needed if one is ever going to remove the internal framework from the enclosure.

There are over a hundred HSs in the field now and honestly, defect reports are very low. Excellent for a newly introduced product. :D

Top Bottom