VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Can you confirm if an apple iPhone adapter works for charging? Super excited to receive my Hotshot!

I have a few 10W & 12W Apple power adapters that I've been using. They are 2.1A, so they're fine. They are the ones that have been coming with iPads larger than the iPad Mini for years.

However, The little 5W ones that normally come with the iPhone are less than 2A, so I wouldn't use those.

Ramahs,
Reactions: stark1

stark1

Lonesome Planet
I use the large magnet of my EDC light, for the time being.

Last edited:
stark1,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Epoxy is the best solution. JB-Quickweld or similar should work fine. Mix up a small amount and put a very amall pea-size dab into the hole and then push in the magnet.

Pipes,

Han Solo

Guess which vape I got just before joining
I've got my magnet secured using the gorilla 2 part epoxy I linked a page ago, and it's held pretty well for the last day. That's a pretty short while, but it didn't seem to be loosening so far.

Han Solo,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Does anyone know of anything cheap that one can plug into the charging port which will give a reading on the battery level?

Ramahs,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Got the HotShot today and this was easy!

20210329_144035.jpg

Off to find a charger and look what I found -

20210329_135918.jpg
Do with this what you will. I don't know what it belonged to.

I know the Lenovo variable voltage just shuts down.

Charge was fast and things got warm - I knew things were busy inside and that is a good thing. Okay, I cheated - I was also reading the power going in. This charger was pushing the full 10+ watts.

@Pipes was also kind enough to give me a sneak-peak of the insides to see what's going on. Very helpful in going forward with a good teardown review. I did check out the battery door and removed the cell and all that good stuff. I did not go so far as to pull out the 'worx'. This is what I able to arrange without too much difficulty and maintain minimal tension on the hinge and the latch;

20210329_145454.jpg

The charge cycle is interesting. It went from 1.75 amps to -DONE- just like that. No fucking around trickling electrons with this circuit. Now I understand the 2amp requirement. As you can see, it will draw 2.2 amps if given a chance. The voltage on my charger is reading 5.26V so this is charging at 12 watts. Nice! I checked the battery voltage off the charger and I got 12.62V with my trusted meter. The battery connector to test the voltage is tucked in nicely next to the battery. Don't use this trick to charge the battery! These cells require balance-charging. There is another connector in there for that but I don't recommend cycling the cell in and out of the case. It does take a little finesse to lay the wires right to get a neat packing - the image above is proof it can be done. More below with warnings.

As to the puddin' - FUCK YEA! I stuffed a Ti tip with my 'hottest' cap in there and it went off perfectly right at the height of the 'green' Love the color-wheel option. There is no hotter tip that I can think of and the hottest in my collection surpassing my favorite '18 cap. This meets my version of the stress test. The HotShot past the power test with rainbow colors! Straight up solid rip on Ti without scorching! Love these rare caps!

For the curious - I figured you might want to see what is under the cell - not much to see. However, you might like to see how I dressed the wires to achieve the fit. But first let me make a comment on the little hinge - the way this cover works, the 'backside' of the hinge doesn't matter. The pins on the door do matter! The case has strong 'seats' for the pins and the way it latches, the seats will maintain the cover just fine. So if you play with the battery and you suddenly get that sinking feeling, don't worry, it just makes changing out the cell that much easier.

What I do below risks the thin membrane in the hinge cracking or breaking away. Again, this is only cosmetic, if not functionally preferable; you've been warned ;]

20210329_151529.jpg
Notice the 'twist' in the battery's lead. This helps draw the connector inside the J-spacer in the background. (I was informed the spacer is a tool)

This is where the hinge is most at risk. I started by tipping in the backside of the cell and then working in the front paying particular attention the the lead-wires;

20210329_151558.jpg

From here you can tuck away the spare connector as in the picture above.

@Pipes - this is a bold build - wonderfully and masterfully structured. Full featured and truly pocketable.

And now to reveal stealth mode...

20210329_154615.jpg
Nothing personal! ;]

Thank you for another excellent heater for the community. I have no problem recommending this with high marks on first impression.

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
HotShot is definitely a formattable entry onto the portable IH market and here in time to fill a niche. The case is a lot more than Orion. The HotShot has heft and a solid feel when you pick it up. Battery access and a port cover are features for users. The feel of the aluminum side plates adds to the feel and appeal of the case. And to say who is smallest, Flite or HotShot - I don't think there is a reason for distinction. They are similar enough with a different aspect ratio to call this a tie.

We're not at smallest yet. I did have a peek inside. Genius! ...and promptly knocked the magnet off. More genius. If you do pull your HotShot apart, be ready to reattach the magnet if it stays with the case. I'm trying 2 layers of trim tape. These magnets take on a lot of heat if you use them for more than de-capping. I'll do some torture testing of my tape solution. Automotive trim tape is often available in the small hardware section of the grocery store.

I'm looking forward to seeing some wooden sleeves to become available for HotShot. Anyone have a laser to make some interlaced panels with some cool designs?

===========================
This stiffens up the bottom cover a bit; Black anti-static foam.

20210329_200640 (1).jpg

Last edited:

stark1

Lonesome Planet
🤔A possible fix
to the magnet issue is (perhaps) to have another magnet placed
Under the top magnet (top plate in between).

The strong magnetic attraction should keep them both in place, especially when flush mounted like the surface magnet.

stark1,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
That will only tell you it's charging, not the level. There is no way to measure the level via the USB port. In practical use, one gets to know when one needs to top up the charge. I found the gauge caused more confusion and questions than it was worth. :uhh:

I think I know how I'm going to start handling the magnet installation. A thin highly magnetic washer or disc which is larger than the hole. Affix it to the inside with heat-resistant spongy material. This will act as a spring pushing the washer flush with the top. This will make them all rest 100% square as well. Then once assembled the magnet can just drop it. :nod: As long as the washer is more magnetic than the VC it will stay in place. Pretty easy as the VC is actually not that magnetic. :science:

stark1

Lonesome Planet
On the Mini, you had a strip voltage indicator. Is one on the HS more bother than it is worth?

—The Sense by Mad Heaters seem to incorporate a voltage panel.....

stark1,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
20210330_084626.jpg :leaf: :rockon:

@stark1 - I can see a bottom cover upgrade to add a meter if you really want one. The battery has a cord. The little stick battery meters fit inside. Add a pigtail to the meter to plug it into the available battery leads and you have a battery meter safely kept in the battery compartment. If you want to make it more accessible, drill holes in the battery cover for the lights and the switch and glue the meter to the case cover.

There are always options. For me, if I think I need to check the battery, I just plug the damn thing in instead. Looking at a meter isn't going to fill it up any so if you are away from power, the remaining juice is what it is.

I know from experience that on a hard day, 800mah isn't going to last. However, it will get me through a day with reserved participation. To be relaxed about range anxiety, I need to know where the pack hangs while firing. I can do this through usage - I know I can do a session within 1WH.

The question I have not answered is how much usable capacity does the HotShot really have - and how different is that between the hotter caps and the 2020 caps. 2020 caps will always yield more usable cell capacity for more sessions.

I'll get some number on this sometime. I am very interested in this curve for LiPo cells. I will need to hack into the BMS to get reliable numbers or work directly with the charge port for less than stellar data due to efficiency losses.

=======================================================

Okay, that was hard to remove but the new case takes care of a few things.

@stark1 - Pictures and a 1,000 words and all that; ...and the puddin'

20210330_134233.jpg

=========================================

Last edited:

someTooL

I keep expecting someone to open the HS and find three little men powering this thing (Rick & Morty). I’m finally at my battery break period. After three complete cycles, right at 20 caps per charge...I think, keep loosing count. Starting a little 7 hour road trip tonight, I doubt I’ll be conservative though ...caldron and 12v plug making the trip too.

Top Bottom