• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Underdog Log Vapes

WoodyWeedPecker

Hey guys, I wanted to thank everyone again for all your help getting me rockin the UD properly. After several days I feel so much more comfortable using it and I am getting great results.

I had thought maybe my core was going bad that was why I was getting sporadic results. I had got it used so you take your chances.

So I decided to test the heater core with a thermometer. I don't know if its accurate because the only way I could think of was this.

What a happy surprise when it settled at exactly 420F!
The thing is I don't know if the aluminum foil increased the temperature by trapping the heat or not, I think it kinda had to.

This brought up another thought. I have been keeping the top capped with foil when heating it up. It seems to heat faster, but that may just be me wanting it to.

However if it did indeed help the UD heat up faster by not allowing heat to escape, do you think UD could/should make a silicone cap to accelerate the heat up time? It would also keep the core clean and safe. The colors would have to compliment the wood of course. Just a thought while messing around.

Thanks again guys for all your help!
I enjoy my UD so much I have a few other logs coming from an awesome FC member!:rockon:
Very nice! Can't you place the stem (without screen if possible) on the Underdog as usual. Put down the thermometer head down the stem up to where the herb should be. Then take draw normally through the stem (the wire will be a little annoyance but I think it's possible to have a tight seal for a good draw). Then see the temperature fluctuates on the screen?

WoodyWeedPecker,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Vape Dr.

I'm sure there are many ways I could have done this better or different, this is where the UD took me. I am sure to do more testing.

It just got me to thinking if when the core is heating up the heat is just escaping into the air. If it had a cap on in theory that should speed the heating process up.

I will try to see the temperature fluctuation now that you mention it.
My goal here was to ensure my heater core was good.
You can't get good results without a good heater!:)

CurryLeafTreehugger

What does everyone use to store their stem's / Dogs? I was thinking about getting a Pelican 1120, wondering if there are better options out there with keeping the cost down. I have to store my gear in the garage so I like the protection of the pelican case.

Currently I lay mine down in the top tray of the sewing basket I keep my stash in.

CurryLeafTreehugger,

YungLeaner

I'm sure there are many ways I could have done this better or different, this is where the UD took me. I am sure to do more testing.

It just got me to thinking if when the core is heating up the heat is just escaping into the air. If it had a cap on in theory that should speed the heating process up.

I will try to see the temperature fluctuation now that you mention it.
My goal here was to ensure my heater core was good.
You can't get good results without a good heater!:)
I often wrap my UD in a t shirt or blanket when it's warming up or when i want a harder hit. works very well. be careful not to forget about it though! the wood on mine darkened considerably after i got way too medicated and wrapped my dog up for 2+ hours. Luckily no real damage. I also have found that a small space heater can do wonders--I just place the UD in front of it for 5ish minutes when it's already warmed up and I can take 5+ hits that are an easy 20 degree bump in temperature from normal

YungLeaner,

CurryLeafTreehugger

I often wrap my UD in a t shirt or blanket when it's warming up or when i want a harder hit. works very well. be careful not to forget about it though! the wood on mine darkened considerably after i got way too medicated and wrapped my dog up for 2+ hours. Luckily no real damage. I also have found that a small space heater can do wonders--I just place the UD in front of it for 5ish minutes when it's already warmed up and I can take 5+ hits that are an easy 20 degree bump in temperature from normal

Errrrr.... or you could just get a VVPS .... that's gotta be safer than possibly setting your t-shirt on fire, LOL!

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep
Happy Leap Day!

Just wanted to let everyone know that we'll be taking down the Holiday Special tonight, since it's the end of February. So if you wanted to get in on that, please do so now, or contact me.

Thanks so much! Hope you all had a wonderful Holiday Season (including Valentine's!) :)

Vape Dr.

Here is a pic of my beautiful walnut UD with a drop down stem adapter and a 7th floor mouthpiece.
I do not think it is possible to get a smoother tastier dry draw!:p
It's very nice seeing the vapor fill the glass!:)
I love my DOG!

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
...However if it did indeed help the UD heat up faster by not allowing heat to escape, do you think UD could/should make a silicone cap to accelerate the heat up time? It would also keep the core clean and safe. The colors would have to compliment the wood of course. Just a thought while messing around.

Thanks again guys for all your help!
I enjoy my UD so much I have a few other logs coming from an awesome FC member!:rockon:

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Dog now Vape Dr!

I think I've said this before but I'll say it again since I can't stress it enough... A cap isn't something we'd do (or support someone else doing) as the Dog requires that air flow to keep it's temperature inside it's designed range. Without the air flow it will heat up to the point of damaging itself and is a safety hazard.

mrfloopa

Vappy
Howdy underdogs! I have been on a bit of an irresponsible binge lately and bought two log vapes. :mental: What can I say, I love little hot pieces of wood. (I'm still on the waiting list for a HI...)

The first was a nano, and I thought that the nano was.. you know, nano. Then I received my UD and wow! This thing is ridiculously tiny. It works like a beast--I got the 18mm TonG adapter and milked by friends 18" glass no problem. It was scary, to be honest.

I'll save reviewing the functionality, since it varies from person to person in how we use it. Things I absolutely love: the design. It's small. It's subtle. It's beautiful. I got a birch--lighter than what I usually go, but still gorgeous. It has little blemishes all over that add a nice personal touch.

The extension cord for the power cable is a brilliant idea, too, and much appreciated. It shows that the company is in tune with the most common issues that face a device you pick up and move repeatedly by virtue of its very nature (I went through 3 chargers on my WDZ).

The response was incredibly quick regarding anything at all. I had a question that I sent out after my order was placed, and was reassured before my order shipped that everything was in order and taken care of. Shipping was fast! I ordered Friday and got it Monday.

The bag it came with, the multiple stems with each order, the under butter.... it's the details that really show which company cares about its products and services. And another nice touch? They haven't forgotten the older generation vapes. My old WDZ stems from about 6 years ago work just fine thanks to the depressed screen in the heating element. Backwards compatibility is always big for me--there's no need to get all proprietary with such a beautifully simple design.

Some people may want to play with the temp, but I actually think it's perfect on my unit in my climate. It runs quite hot, so finesse pulls get you lighter, low temp hits and soaking it gives you a nice heavy high.

I feel like I'm rambling (I blame the UD), so I'll leave it at this for now. It's good to be part of the family.

Also, great sticker! I can actually use it without giving anything away to anybody not "in the know." :cool:

Last edited:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Howdy underdogs! I have been on a bit of an irresponsible binge lately and bought two log vapes. :mental: What can I say, I love little hot pieces of wood. (I'm still on the waiting list for a HI...)

The first was a nano, and I thought that the nano was.. you know, nano. Then I received my UD and wow! This thing is ridiculously tiny. It works like a beast--I got the 18mm TonG adapter and milked by friends 18" glass no problem. It was scary, to be honest.

I'll save reviewing the functionality, since it varies from person to person in how we use it. Things I absolutely love: the design. It's small. It's subtle. It's beautiful. I got a birch--lighter than what I usually go, but still gorgeous. It has little blemishes all over that add a nice personal touch.

The extension cord for the power cable is a brilliant idea, too, and much appreciated. It shows that the company is in tune with the most common issues that face a device you pick up and move repeatedly by virtue of its very nature (I went through 3 chargers on my WDZ).

The response was incredibly quick regarding anything at all. I had a question that I sent out after my order was placed, and was reassured before my order shipped that everything was in order and taken care of. Shipping was fast! I ordered Friday and got it Monday.

The bag it came with, the multiple stems with each order, the under butter.... it's the details that really show which company cares about its products and services. And another nice touch? They haven't forgotten the older generation vapes. My old WDZ stems from about 6 years ago work just fine thanks to the depressed screen in the heating element. Backwards compatibility is always big for me--there's no need to get all proprietary with such a beautifully simple design.

Some people may want to play with the temp, but I actually think it's perfect on my unit in my climate. It runs quite hot, so finesse pulls get you lighter, low temp hits and soaking it gives you a nice heavy high.

I feel like I'm rambling (I blame the UD), so I'll leave it at this for now. It's good to be part of the family.

Also, great sticker! I can actually use it without giving anything away to anybody not "in the know." :cool:
You got it! That just about says it all - Sterling PRODUCT, PERFORMANCE, & SERVICE - UNDERDOG!!!

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
I would like some clarification, I am under the assumption the your herb is not supposed to touch the heating element is this correct? Thanks for the help guys!
That is correct - but you can get very close and modulate heat setting (w/vvps) and draw effort to keep combustion at bay (this is why I like a VVPS for higher heat & extreme fine tuning). That said, you really don't need a VVPS with the new cores (hot right out of the box!!!). I always get my herb very close to the heater top with no combustion worry. Underdog rules!!! See my sig... I walk the walk!

Last edited:

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Underdog rules!!! See my sig... I walk the walk!

You also peddle the good stuff & seem to have no problem getting new addicts onto your hardcore wood :D. I hear once you get a taste of the Snappo goodness things are never the same. I try & stay away from your thread but at least once a week I catch up & then wear a bib before reading.

My dog seems to get prettier by the day & if I am honest I am admiring the curves on display right now & I am yet to hit her tonight but she has been warming for at least an hour so......

rosedale

D2C60096-A953-4F7C-A0B1-1E4E62C42218_zpsuuc3yobl.jpg
Something is on the way. Thank you @Snappo and @underdogette

CurryLeafTreehugger

Well all my houndoggy friends, please visit my thread about what to do with shake and help me out. I have a new doggy to satisfy!

And boy does she smell good. The maple wood, heated up, is releasing a sweet woody odor. I'm guessing that won't last forever - but it smells good just being on!

Adding a picture of my two guys - the new one is a bit shorter but ummm ... shall we say ... more full-bodied? LOL!

20160302_1132531.jpg

Last edited:

CurryLeafTreehugger

Is the one on the right a birch from the holiday sale? I just ordered one, I can't wait to get it. I've been eyeing logs for years now.

I believe it is. Welcome to the pack! :wave:

Well, the one on the LEFT IS Beech, but it is an Econo-Dog

The one on the right is a Holiday Dog in Wild Maple, and she looks and smells wonderful!

Last edited:

Bdubyaa

That is correct - but you can get very close and modulate heat setting (w/vvps) and draw effort to keep combustion at bay (this is why I like a VVPS for higher heat & extreme fine tuning). That said, you really don't need a VVPS with the new cores (hot right out of the box!!!). I always get my herb very close to the heater top with no combustion worry. Underdog rules!!! See my sig... I walk the walk!
Thanks for the clarifaction @Snappo ! Yeah I have a new air core and it seems pretty hot out of the box. I am going to start looking into a VVPS to start at a lower temperature to get a few more flavorful hits.

What do you guys suggest for a VVPS? I would like something on the smaller end like the Tattoo style or Buck/Boost VVPS that underdog has on it website. I would prefer not to have to adjust the settings with a screwdriver (like the buck/boost)

jim-bob

Thanks for the clarifaction @Snappo ! Yeah I have a new air core and it seems pretty hot out of the box. I am going to start looking into a VVPS to start at a lower temperature to get a few more flavorful hits.

What do you guys suggest for a VVPS? I would like something on the smaller end like the Tattoo style or Buck/Boost VVPS that underdog has on it website. I would prefer not to have to adjust the settings with a screwdriver (like the buck/boost)

I feel pretty lame quoting myself, but here's what I thought a few pages ago:
I've got one of the Tekpower VVPSen and it's been pretty solid. Display is only good to one decimal point, but you've also got some 'float' between those numbers - for instance, my recent air core seems happiest when the VVPS bounces between 11.3v and 11.4v. I like having an actual power switch, too.

Top Bottom