Underdog Log Vapes

GTAVaper

Quick question for those of you with the Tekpower box - what voltage do you use for different things? I just got mine, and am going to start experimenting today, but are there any folks who have experience with it, and have best practices?

I plan on finding a setting good for aromatics, and another for for herbal vaporization. I've got it set to 5 currently, and heating up for some lavender oil.

I have a VVPS, but not the Tekpower.....which I am actually interested in since it is smaller than my current VVPS.

I was wondering if they sent you a black version or if yours had the flames on it?

As for voltages?

For glass stems

13.0v to 13.3v works well for me.......go hotter with damp bud and lower with very dry bud .......it is possible to combust at 13.3 with a heat soaked glass stem, finely ground dry herb and a slow draw rate.

For SS stems (smaller diameter at least - haven't got O/S to try yet)

12.5v to 13.0v ........same advice as above regarding heat soaked stems but even more of a factor since the steel conducts heat better than glass.

If you have a fresh load with no heat soak and loose pack and want to rip it quickly through glass then a SS stem at 13.0v will work well. But don't let it sit at all and draw fairly quickly. When it milks extremely fast be careful and keep a hand on the dog to lift off for a bit while you clear the glass because that very thick vapour means you are close to combusting. When that thick vapour instantly turns your glass into whiteout conditions then lift the dog off quickly and draw at your own risk.....you might get smoke.

I actually have a large double bubbler ash catcher attached to my knockoff double matrix Mobius and have been quick enough to keep the smoke portion in the ash catcher section......disconnected it and washed it out and then cleared the "Mobius" only tasting vapour.

It's all about experimentation......combusting every once in a while is just part of the learning curve until you find out what works best for you when pushing the vapour "envelope" to the extreme. No biggee......just detach your water hookup and blow through at that point to clear your glass without having to inhale and wash it out.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Get a timer and set it for your usage patterns so that you don't end up leaving it on all night at 13.3v.......like I did last night. The heater will last longer......keeping it on at 5v for aromatherapy? Probably can stay on indefinitely.......but Underdog, or Underdogette would probably give you the definitive advice on that kind of usage.

Last edited:

GTAVaper

Thanks to @SSVUN~YAH I now have a good start on a collection of UDs!
My first UD was a walnut UD I traded another FC member @61reissue for.

Thanks to @SSVUN~YAH I have a start to a nice collection of UDs

Walnut UD, Padauk UD, maple mini dog.

My dogs...

All my dogs get along!:D

Thank you @SSVUN~YAH for allowing me to purchase the beautiful Padauk UD and the so super cool and tiny maple mini dog!!!

My log vape collection now!

My last dog was a 110lb male German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix (currently have an 80lb female of same mix) named Monte.....so it was kind of funny seeing that pic.

Just curious though ......last photo......3rd from left - is that a HI?

Commander Cody

Quick question for those of you with the Tekpower box - what voltage do you use for different things? I just got mine, and am going to start experimenting today, but are there any folks who have experience with it, and have best practices?

I plan on finding a setting good for aromatics, and another for for herbal vaporization. I've got it set to 5 currently, and heating up for some lavender oil.

***Edit - I did some searching*** Sounds like 5-8 for aromatherapy, and 12.5-13.5 for herbs. :)
I have been using the Tekpower vvps for a little over a year. Preferred voltage will vary depending on the type of heater in your particular dog and whether it is a standard or air core model. Here is my favorite method for a standard dog (cartridge heater) with the glass stem. Set it on 11.2 and give it time to warm up. (If you are in a big hurry, set it to 12 and then turn it down to 11.2) Take 2 or 3 smooth, tasty hits and then turn up to 12.7 You can just forget about it at that point and enjoy the rest of the stem. It will remain smooth and pretty tasty until it is cashed since the heat is increasing as the available actives are decreasing. I usually stir at about 6 hits and will get a total of 8-10 hits with the basket loaded but not overfilled. This method allows you to step up the heat without a lot of fiddling. I get perfectly browned ABV doing this. Now that you are up to 12.7 you can do a couple one-hitters with the nylon stems. I use the same method with my older underdog that has a resistor rather than cartridge heater. With it I start at 11.7 and then turn up to 13.3 after the first 2 or 3 hits. The Tekpower vvps has worked great for me. Hope you enjoy yours!

Verax

I have been using the Tekpower vvps for a little over a year. Preferred voltage will vary depending on the type of heater in your particular dog and whether it is a standard or air core model. Here is my favorite method for a standard dog (cartridge heater) with the glass stem. Set it on 11.2 and give it time to warm up. (If you are in a big hurry, set it to 12 and then turn it down to 11.2) Take 2 or 3 smooth, tasty hits and then turn up to 12.7 You can just forget about it at that point and enjoy the rest of the stem. It will remain smooth and pretty tasty until it is cashed since the heat is increasing as the available actives are decreasing. I usually stir at about 6 hits and will get a total of 8-10 hits with the basket loaded but not overfilled. This method allows you to step up the heat without a lot of fiddling. I get perfectly browned ABV doing this. Now that you are up to 12.7 you can do a couple one-hitters with the nylon stems. I use the same method with my older underdog that has a resistor rather than cartridge heater. With it I start at 11.7 and then turn up to 13.3 after the first 2 or 3 hits. The Tekpower vvps has worked great for me. Hope you enjoy yours!

Thanks for the tips! I'm really liking it so far. Really great control. I am loving my dog! :)

drewper

I have a VVPS, but not the Tekpower.....which I am actually interested in since it is smaller than my current VVPS.

I was wondering if they sent yo a black version or if yours had the flames on it?

As for voltages?

For glass stems

13.0v to 13.3v works well for me.......go hotter with damp bud and lower with very dry bud .......it is possible to combust at 13.3 with a heat soaked glass stem, finely ground dry herb and a slow draw rate.

For SS stems (smaller diameter at least - haven't got O/S to try yet)

12.5v to 13.0v ........same advice as above regarding heat soaked stems but even more of a factor since the steel conducts heat better than glass.

If you have a fresh load with no heat soak and loose pack and want to rip it quickly through glass then a SS stem at 13.0v will work well. But don't let it sit at all and draw fairly quickly. When it milks extremely fast be careful and keep a hand on the dog to lift off for a bit while you clear the glass because that very thick vapour means you are close to combusting. When that thick vapour instantly turns your glass into whiteout conditions then lift the dog off quickly and draw at your own risk.....you might get smoke.

I actually have a large double bubbler ash catcher attached to my knockoff double matrix Mobius and have been quick enough to keep the smoke portion in the ash catcher section......disconnected it and washed it out and then cleared the "Mobius" only tasting vapour.

It's all about experimentation......combusting every once in a while is just part of the learning curve until you find out what works best for you when pushing the vapour "envelope" to the extreme. No biggee......just detach your water hookup and blow through at that point to clear your glass without having to inhale and wash it out.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Get a timer and set it for your usage patterns so that you don't end up leaving it on all night at 13.3v.......like I did last night. The heater will last longer......keeping it on at 5v for aromatherapy? Probably can stay on indefinitely.......but Underdog, or Underdogette would probably give you the definitive advice on that kind of usage.
Sounds like you ride the edge of combustion like I do. In the past I just feathered the dog toward and away from the herb to flirt with combustion but now I'm psyched to surf it with some more control with Dave and Amanda's Buck/Boost VVPS unit. I could share some experiences today if USPS 2-day actually meant two days even to Miami Beach. Maybe I'll find out why I've been seeing mail trucks out on los Domingos lately. Thanks to the team for getting it out super fast, you did your part as always.

GTAVaper

Oh yes, I forgot to mention it but I have the now standard SS cartridge core.

I also enjoy upper temperature vaping and haven't had the milky results through glass that I am looking for with the glass stems set under 13.0v. But I can't comment on taste or harshness through a direct draw stem at these voltages since I always use my UD through water.

13.0v is the happy medium for me in setting my temps since I can use it worry free with the glass stems with decent results and also get great one-hitters through the SS tipped stems if I load it loosely and hit it quickly......but some care is needed with the SS stems at 13.0v ......don't let it sit for too long on the heater before drawing or you might combust your material

Verax

Absolutely loving this experience! Really amazing control of the entire experience. I feel like I can fine tune each hit to exactly what I'm looking to do. (quick lift, pull a huge single bowl killer, gently step up through the ladder, hitting along the way) It just does it all so well! I can definitely see getting another! :)

fJtlMYy.jpg

GTAVaper

Thanks for the tips! I'm really liking it so far. Really great control. I am loving my dog! :)

Sorry but my question probably got lost in my "wall of text" postings......but was just curious whether you were sent an all black TekPower unit or have the flame painted version?

If you have the all black version then please let me know in your reply post or a PM where you ordered yours. I've heard great things about this VVPS.......but those flames?! <shudder> :o:disgust::D

EDIT: Just noticed that you also had a Cloud Evo and was wondering how they compare? I don't think that I will ever pick up an Evo now having the UD as well as all the new pre-order goodies than I am expecting.....but was still kind of curious.

Verax

Sorry but my question probably got lost in my "wall of text" postings......but was just curious whether you were sent an all black TekPower unit or have the flame painted version?

If you have the all black version then please let me know in your reply post or a PM where you ordered yours. I've heard great things about this VVPS.......but those flames?! <shudder> :o:disgust::D

EDIT: Just noticed that you also had a Cloud Evo and was wondering how they compare? I don't think that I will ever pick up an Evo now having the UD as well as all the new pre-order goodies than I am expecting.....but was still kind of curious.

Hey, I got mine from amazon, showed up black.

I like both the EVO and the Dog. Prior to the dog, the Evo was my best vape. It could keep up with any sized draw, and delivered perfect temperature through the whole experience. It has the nice ground glass connection, that I can adapt to all my water filtration rigs; which I REALLY like.

I've only been with my Dog for 3 sessions, but I'm in love. It delivers similar results as my EVO so far. It's very versatile with adapters as well, and really feels like I can do anything with it.

I'll say, that if my experience with the dog stays on this course, it will be my favorite vape. The main reason? It has a soul. Don't get me wrong, the EVO is awesome, but it's a piece of plastic stamped out in a factory. My dog is a living piece of wood. It ties me back into the experience with my herb. The whole process seems more symbiotic, and respectful. I know it sounds cheesy, but I just get a good vibe from it, and i love holding it while it's on. :)

darkrom

Great Scott!

I like both the EVO and the Dog. Prior to the dog, the Evo was my best vape. It could keep up with any sized draw, and delivered perfect temperature through the whole experience. It has the nice ground glass connection, that I can adapt to all my water filtration rigs; which I REALLY like.

I've only been with my Dog for 3 sessions, but I'm in love. It delivers similar results as my EVO so far. It's very versatile with adapters as well, and really feels like I can do anything with it.

I'll say, that if my experience with the dog stays on this course, it will be my favorite vape. The main reason? It has a soul. Don't get me wrong, the EVO is awesome, but it's a piece of plastic stamped out in a factory. My dog is a living piece of wood. It ties me back into the experience with my herb. The whole process seems more symbiotic, and respectful. I know it sounds cheesy, but I just get a good vibe from it, and i love holding it while it's on. :)

One of many reasons my evo is long gone and I still have 2 Underdogs and a mini. You hit the nail on the head. Its also why I never got any of the other log vapes. If you don't have individuality, isn't it just a piece of production wood? Not that everyone wants what I want, but its a pretty notable difference if you are looking for that.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker

One thing we don't get with any other vape on the world market is the level of service that comes with the Underdog - UD Dave & Amanda have raised the bar to a height that no one else in my experience has matched - not even close. Quantum leap performance, unlimited design selection, unmatched craftsmanship, etc., etc., etc., ...this is what "Made in America" really means, a stellar example that others would do well to follow.

UNDERDOG Rules:rockon::tup::clap::nod:;)

Vape Dr.

Speaking of loving our UDs, I have a question for you guys. :hmm:

I have a thermovape Cera that has a 2.1mm plug for the AC and for a car charger, which has a car plug on one side and a 2.1mm barrel plug on the other.

Is it safe to use this car charger plugged directly (or with a dimmer) into my UD or mini D?

I hope so it would be awesome but I don't want to try it and fry it...:cuss:

Has or does anybody use a car charger to barrel plug with their dogs?

NickDlow

Log Hog
Speaking of loving our UDs, I have a question for you guys. :hmm:

I have a thermovape Cera that has a 2.1mm plug for the AC and for a car charger, which has a car plug on one side and a 2.1mm barrel plug on the other.

Is it safe to use this car charger plugged directly (or with a dimmer) into my UD or mini D?

I hope so it would be awesome but I don't want to try it and fry it...:cuss:

Has or does anybody use a car charger to barrel plug with their dogs?

Dogs love cars!!

As long as you get the 12v (about) you're all good

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
@NickDlow what is that wood in your first photo, top left? You got such a nice collection :)

@GTAVaper I have ordered the one off Amazon and it works great, no flames either!

I have an EVO and I love it, but I don't use it much except for Friday and Saturday....it hits really heavy but I find I end up overdoing it....perfect for Friday and Saturday though to dab and use flowers in same device at ease!

Totally agree it lacks the character and that's why my dogs get the most use :) Always on during the week. I must admit....I want another.....I can't justify it at all....well I can :) The joy of using a new dog is always a treat! Even when I know basically what I am getting in terms of tech, I feel I am usually more excited for a new fancy piece of wood turned into a dog than I am most other things :lol:

Top Bottom