Underdog Log Vapes

Gandalf

@Vape Dr. When you hit the NonG like a stem, how dark does the ABV get when you are done? If it's not getting to a darkish brown then the voltage probably just isn't high enough and you would need to try increasing the voltage with a VVPS to dial in the temperature you want to vape at.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
I got the UD to tide me over until I get my HI and I thought the UD and HI were fairly similar vapes.

I did get the 14mm stem ground down and the edge is nice and round now, the stem is only 2 1/16" long now but at least it's still usable.

I thought the heater might be going too, but with the 15V wal wart I combusted with the NonG!:puke:

This is my first log so I'm willing to take most of the blame because of inexperience with log vapes.

When you guys put the screen in the stem do you put it in with the cup part facing towards or away from the heater? Also How far do you put the screen from the core?

With straight 12v power supply coming into the UD I should get massive clouds, correct?
Have you tried packing moderately tight or loose, drawing slowly & lightly, and heat soaking your stem load for about 30 seconds prior to your first hit. Do you have another short cord/plug you can try?

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
I got the UD to tide me over until I get my HI and I thought the UD and HI were fairly similar vapes.

I did get the 14mm stem ground down and the edge is nice and round now, the stem is only 2 1/16" long now but at least it's still usable.

I thought the heater might be going too, but with the 15V wal wart I combusted with the NonG!:puke:

This is my first log so I'm willing to take most of the blame because of inexperience with log vapes.

When you guys put the screen in the stem do you put it in with the cup part facing towards or away from the heater? Also How far do you put the screen from the core?

With straight 12v power supply coming into the UD I should get massive clouds, correct?

Depending on which core you have the UD and the HI will indeed be very similar in design and function.

Without knowing the exact vintage of your particular Dog and the specifics of it's particular heating element it's impossible to say that you should get clouds (massive or otherwise) from a 12v input. We've made a lot of Dogs over the years and of varying design, some will make clouds at 11v while some might need 13v. The current generation run hot at 12v but again that doesn't necessarily (or seem to) apply to your Dog. There is also a huge variation in cloud generation between different strains, some cloud nicely and some barely at all.

Stem screens were designed and intended to be installed cup side facing towards the heater so that it 'cups' your ground material. Distance is a matter of preference but normally they are set to hold your material and then be close to but not touching the core when the stem is mated to the Dog.

Your 15v power supply, used directly, would void any warranty on the vape and almost certainly damage it with any significant length of use. That said you should be able to use the 15v one in conjunction with your dimmer switch and get the clouds you're seeking. That's about as simple a solution as exists and you already have the required parts, just have to use them. :2c:

Vape Dr.

Have you tried packing moderately tight or loose, drawing slowly & lightly

I have tried many different types of draws and several screen configurations my friend...

and heat soaking your stem load for about 30 seconds prior to your first hit

This I have not tried! I will try this, thanks Snappo!

Do you have another short cord/plug you can try?

I also have a few Tenergy chargers that fit that are 12v 1a and a mighty charger but it's 12v 3a and didn't want to try it.

Depending on which core you have

Standard core.

Your 15v power supply, used directly, would void any warranty on the vape and almost certainly damage it with any significant length of use

The 15v charger was hooked up to the dimmer at about maybe 80% power, I didn't want to do any damage to my UD so I started there and thought I would creep it up but it combusted.

I have never had a barrel plug wall charger die on me but could the charger be crapping out.

The one I'm using is 12 v 1250mAh, I also have a Tenergy one that is 12v 1a and the mighty 12v 3a charger.
Would 1a be a sufficient amount of amperage? Also is the mighty 3a too much?
What is the minimum and maximum amperage output I am ideally looking for?

Last edited:

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep
Amperage does not affect the heat. The vape will only take what it needs. 1 or more Amps is good, no maximum.

The thing about power supplies is that they can all say "12v" but when put under load, actually output a different amount, somewhere usually between 12 and 13.5v. Our old power supplies, which is possibly what your vape originally came with, output 13.5v even though they said 12v.

With your dimmer and the 15v power supply, you might have to push your screen farther back, or try using a glass stem to cool the hit down. Sometimes those dimmers aren't able to be fine tuned (ie: can jump from 80% to 100%, etc, without anything in between).

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
I have tried many different types of draws and several screen configurations my friend...

This I have not tried! I will try this, thanks Snappo!

I also have a few Tenergy chargers that fit that are 12v 1a and a mighty charger but it's 12v 3a and didn't want to try it.

Standard core.

The 15v charger was hooked up to the dimmer at about maybe 80% power, I didn't want to do any damage to my UD so I started there and thought I would creep it up but it combusted.

I have never had a barrel plug wall charger die on me but could the charger be crapping out.

The one I'm using is 12 v 1250mAh, I also have a Tenergy one that is 12v 1a and the mighty 12v 1a charger.
Would 1a be a sufficient amount of amperage? Also is the mighty 3a too much?
What is the minimum and maximum amperage output I am ideally looking for?
It is my understanding the UD will be fine with 3 a. Voltage is more of a factor. 1 amp should be enough and is worth trying first.

I was too slow.

Vape Dr.

Amperage does not affect the heat. The vape will only take what it needs. 1 or more Amps is good, no maximum.

Thanks @underdogette I was most curious about the amperage the UD could take.

I think I will try the mighty charger with the dimmer.
I agree the dimmers are almost more of a pain than they're worth and I doubt they are accurate either.

I did successfully fix the glass stem so I will try it through a small water pipe with the other charger, hopefully I can figure this guy out.

It is my understanding the UD will be fine with 3 a. Voltage is more of a factor. 1 amp should be enough and is worth trying first.

Thanks @Madcap79 I will start with the 12v 1a first. I have a feeling I shouldn't have a problem getting it to work with so many helpful people on this thread.
I will be back after some testing!

Thank you all! You rock:rockon:

CurryLeafTreehugger

<snippage>
IMO it shines through a small bubbler, and can provide the equivalent of a smallish cloud evo hit with absurd efficiency.
<snippage>
...I really suggest a J-Hook or bubbler. If you combusted, then inhale faster--it's like using an SSV, the user determines the temp a great deal

What kind of bubbler? I've tried using it with a smallish bong and didn't really see the point. I got only very light clouds - but then I've never used a bong before and maybe I was doing something wrong.

And I forgot all about the J-hook! Didn't order it with my Holiday Vape. Since it hadn't been on the site, I didn't have a tab pre-opened for it. What do you think the J-hook adds to the equation?

PS - and what is an SSV?

CurryLeafTreehugger,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Vape Dr.

I'm using a Mobius. Not huge but not too small.

SSV is the Silver Surfer Vaporizer. I have that mastered, but it's a bit different. It is all glass with a ceramic heating rod.

jim-bob

And I forgot all about the J-hook! Didn't order it with my Holiday Vape. Since it hadn't been on the site, I didn't have a tab pre-opened for it. What do you think the J-hook adds to the equation?

My J-hook showed up today and i absolutely love it. My typical dog use is either two hits from a oversized glass stem or one hit from a nylon or ss stem, but i've found that using the J-hook with a 14mm shorty GonG lets me extract pretty thoroughly in one cool delicious hit.

For a while I was trying to use my Vapexhale dry mouthpiece with an 18mm GonG, but it was just too clumsy to work with and wasn't worth the trouble for the hits it delivered. The underdog/shorty/j-hook combo just kinda feels natural. I'm pretty stoked I grabbed one.

Vape Dr.

74 degrees @Madcap79.
I have been getting a little better results with the mighty charger no dimmer switch.

I have been slightly moving the screen closer to the heater after each chamber until I achieve my desired results. The NonG is working much better as well.

Thank you all for your support and help. I think I'll be able to get it, it just takes trial and error!:)

I am nicely elevated of a very small amount. I am going out to dinner then coming back and keepin on tweakin!:D

Thank you FC you guys are most helpful and I truly appreciate every ones help!

FC rocks!:rockon:

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
74 degrees @Madcap79.
I have been getting a little better results with the mighty charger no dimmer switch.

I have been slightly moving the screen closer to the heater after each chamber until I achieve my desired results. The NonG is working much better as well.

Thank you all for your support and help. I think I'll be able to get it, it just takes trial and error!:)

I am nicely elevated of a very small amount. I am going out to dinner then coming back and keepin on tweakin!:D

Thank you FC you guys are most helpful and I truly appreciate every ones help!

FC rocks!:rockon:
Good to hear. I usually have the screen adjusted to were it almost touches the herb. Happy testing! :science:

Also, cooler ambient temps effect the output as well.

Last edited:

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Looks like the good Dr is squared away then :tup:. I thought mine was under performing but by playing with the screen height & pack etc I have gotten really good results. They were good until my final stem last night when I combusted but that would be more due to user intoxication levels combined with greed when loading the stem.

A week into my owner ship & have had a ball exploring the different options available. I think I am settling on the 14mm NonG & thick D/D stem as my two preferred options but they all work & work well they do :D. I feel like reciting the rifleman creed as there are many like it but this one is mine.

GTAVaper

Hello Vape Dr.,

In my opinion a VVPS is a must for the Underdog.....that way you can tune your hits to the perfect level. I have a VVPS that is extreme overkill.....lab grade capable of 60v at 5A max.....Gophert CPS-6005 - originally got it to be used with a Sublimator since the Sub's power supply is crappy, runs on a timer and is way over-priced - however I never got around to buying one and probably won't now.

However, I set a cap of 1A for the amperage and tune between 12.5v for SS tips and 13v for glass stems (13.3v max - borderline combustion - potential combustion with fine dry herb and slow draw) and ALWAYS use it through water. But it is funny......the UD only draws anywhere from 0.570 amps (@12.3v) to 0.623 amps (@13.5v) so don't worry about the amperage current draw......it won't be a factor.

My advice is to get a VVPS - I am thinking of purchasing another smaller one myself such as this
http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-HY-1502-Power-Supply-1-5/dp/B003EGYRP6
.......and hopefully get one without the flames :(
for use in the living room and then keep the larger one in the bedroom

I would suggest getting the long 14mm gong's (3 of them at least since they can double as a direct draw glass stem as well if that is "your thing") and maybe an over-sized Nong, as well as a core o-ring to help minimize airflow around the glass stem's base where it meets the steel heater core.

The basket part of the screen holds the herb pretty well (even while upside down - just use the end of your Might brush to tamp it in place a little).....but also when using water tools - I have a Chinese knockoff dual matrix Mobius that I use with it. With a water tool the gong faces upwards and therefore gravity and the direction of airflow keeps the herb fixed completely in place.

You are going to have to experiment with basket placement.....I have it right up to the heater core and the bottom of the basket screen is about 15mm from the bottom of the stem and I fill it just above the top of the screen (which might vary depending on the screen) which leaves maybe 8-9mm of space to the end of the stem. This can sometimes put the edges of the heater core slightly into the herb but the actual heater screen is still recessed and not touching the herb.

I also have a Mighty and the UD will milk the glass just as well as a Mighty when set at the right temperature for either SS or glass (different temps required due to the extra conduction heating of the SS stem) however the Mighty bowl is of course a lot larger and can produce more vapour per bowl and is basically idiot proof. The SS tips are good for a couple of dense hits through water but can produce enough vapour to milk the glass while doing so and are extremely efficient with your herb.

So when you get your VVPS - again I say that the UD doesn't reach its full potential without one - then I am sure that you will get everything dialed in to your liking.

Just another thought......if you want to check out whether you want to invest in a VVPS and you already have the 15v power supply and the dimmer dial switch then all you need to get (or borrow if you know someone who has one) is a cheap multimeter.

Then just attach the dimmer to your 15v power supply and figure out the various spots on the dimmer switch where the voltages you're looking for are located and then mark them. Check whether these voltages are consistent (could change with household power fluctuations) and then this way you can avoid killing your heater and also find out what voltages you like to vape at.

Then you will probably want to grab a little VVPS with digital display and ensure that there is no chance that you are vaping at too high a voltage, or getting inconsistent result due to an unstable house line screwing with your dimmer setting.

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:

ZC

Then just attach the dimmer to your 15v power supply and figure out the various spots on the dimmer switch where the voltages you're looking for are located and then mark them.

If I'm not mistaken then the commonly bought dimmer switch here uses PWM, so it would still appear to be 15v to the multimeter no matter where the switch is on the dial.

GTAVaper

If I'm not mistaken then the commonly bought dimmer switch here uses PWM, so it would still appear to be 15v to the multimeter no matter where the switch is on the dial.

I didn't know that but I guess that switching the current on and off very quickly while at constant voltage would reduce the power by limiting the current flow.

I guess that makes sense as PWM is just a rapid cycling of current as I understand it......and I could be wrong completely since the last time I looked at electrical engineering with any focus was in a 1st year undergrad course about 25yrs ago when the first year of Engineering at UofT was common across all disciplines.

So I will take your word for it that this might happen as I don't have a PWM dimmer switch that would be convenient to test and see whether the voltage might change while using the dimmer.

thx1138

I want to try a variable voltage unit, but the steel core curly pyinma UD I just got from a fellow FCer can be regulated very easily with the steel stem resting slightly off the lip of the heater, or through a continuous session, in which only the first pull or two are a bit hotter than preferred (assuming it has set and warmed for awhile, say 20 minutes of non-use). I will probably keep it simple and go w/o. The steel core pyinma runs a tad hotter than my new Lacewood aircore, so I just switch between depending on mood or whether the strain seems to require a bit more oomph from the UD.

Verax

Got a delivery, juust in time for the weekend! :)

pZdCSmc.jpg

**EDIT**
Got everything setup, warmed up, and rolling! Had my first couple of hits. I am really impressed. I love it! Fantastic hits. My only regret now, is that I didn't get a couple more 14mm gong stems! :) (I think I'll end up using those almost exclusively. I'll pretty much always be using water filtration in some way, and the glass seems much easier to load, and control potion / distance with the basket. Seems like that is going to be a pain in the steel stems.)

RBW6mIJ.jpg

yFk0zWw.jpg

Last edited:

darkrom

Great Scott!
Guys for real, let's design a concentrate bowl. I just got some FC community designed glass. We can find a good way to do this.

Also I'd kill for an 18mm underdog gong. Does anyone know a glassblower who might be interested in one or both projects?

Vaping concentrates with full convection in my underdog is amazing, but it still needs a bed of herb. I don't like the cotton idea. The only reason I use the d-nail stuff is that I can taste the concentrate without any bud to tarnish the taste haha. BUT there are higher temps involved and it leaves carbon, on basically every nail ever with every oil ever. That is not ideal the more I think about it. That doesn't happen with the underdog, which still vapes my oil, but lower temps and zero residuals. Am I the only one who sees the potential for using these things as a full convection vape? By design in a gong its as good as being carb capped as well. Its like 90% of a convection oil vape already, just missing a specific bowl. Its already my favorite herb vape and I have 2 running 24/7. The best part is the underdog costs less than a d-nail controller, does both, and hell even some nails cost more than a whole UD setup!

But it all depends on a specific bowl for that use. Gotta be able to vape straight oils.

rosedale

Guys for real, let's design a concentrate bowl. I just got some FC community designed glass. We can find a good way to do this.

Also I'd kill for an 18mm underdog gong. Does anyone know a glassblower who might be interested in one or both projects?

Vaping concentrates with full convection in my underdog is amazing, but it still needs a bed of herb. I don't like the cotton idea. The only reason I use the d-nail stuff is that I can taste the concentrate without any bud to tarnish the taste haha. BUT there are higher temps involved and it leaves carbon, on basically every nail ever with every oil ever. That is not ideal the more I think about it. That doesn't happen with the underdog, which still vapes my oil, but lower temps and zero residuals. Am I the only one who sees the potential for using these things as a full convection vape? By design in a gong its as good as being carb capped as well. Its like 90% of a convection oil vape already, just missing a specific bowl. Its already my favorite herb vape and I have 2 running 24/7. The best part is the underdog costs less than a d-nail controller, does both, and hell even some nails cost more than a whole UD setup!

But it all depends on a specific bowl for that use. Gotta be able to vape straight oils.

Love the 18mm GonG idea. I love the concentrate bowl idea too but I don't have access to concentrates. If a glass blower stepped up, I would be in for a few of the 18mm GonGs.

Top Bottom